Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
johnb1987

Accutane - which side effects did you experience?

Hi all,

For those who are on or finished accutane, what side effects did you encounter besides dry skin and eyes? Want your opinions See patient informaiton leaflet for a list of side effects: http://xpil.medicines.org.uk/ViewPil.aspx?docid=3218

I know some side effects on the leaflet says are rare, but did you experience them? Does side effects depend on the body?

I have mild to moderate acne, and think it's going to moderate soon. I am almost running out of antibiotics to try (i.e. minocycline and doxycycline left to try). Lots of topical solutions to try out though. Been on medication including topicals for 2 years and 1 month, and not much effect.

I am asking this, as I was thinking about Accutane. Since I have mild to moderate acne (might be beginning to be moderate), do you think they would subscribe me to the lowest dose of Accutane or a medium dose? I understand that blood and liver tests are needed. What happens if fail it?

If you fail the blood tests they won't give it to you, or tell you to wait ___ and try again.

I had mild/moderate and got 'tane with ease. I just told my derm I didn't want antibiotics.

As far as side effects, I had mild joint soreness when I first started, that went away within a month, even when I got a higher dose. Nosebleeds/dried snot/blood is annoying. Nothing else really.

Now on my 5th course, and the only side effects, in order of severity, were:

- Dry/cracked/chapped lips

- Dry, flaky, peeling skin... only on face and back

- Occasional nosebleeds

On this latest course I've noticed my eyes are a bit dry, but only late at night. And I wear contacts.

I experienced dizziness, nausea, fatigue, headaches, and anxiety attacks. I had to stop taking it after 50 days. I also suffered from heart palpitations and a heart arythmia.

Dry lips and skin, occassional small patches of eczema, mood swings, joint pain, photosensitivity, diminished night vision, nausea (only on the first day), fatigue, brittle fingernails...that's all I can think of. All of those went away after one month of finishing the course.

I’m on a fairly high dose to start with for my weight... and so far im lucky and don’t have any side effects besides dry lips... which isn’t even noticeable as long as I keep chapstick on them. I was SUPER scared to go on accutane and I spent a lot of time researching it.... so far so good. Hopefully things continue to go well. For most people, the side effects are worth a chance for clear skin. Others aren’t so lucky and have complications. All you can do is make an educated decision on if the possible risks are worth it.

On a side note.... If you have been trying different antibiotics and topical lotions and aren’t having improvement... your dermatologist shouldn’t have a problem giving you accutane. Some derms are weird about it though. Good luck!

dry lips, dry boogers/bloody nose, sore/fatigue, skin breaks easily, lower back pain and right now i am experiencing my first headache. i don tknow if its the accutane or from mma. i got put in a triagle choke hold for the first time. maybe its that, who knows. just took some ib profen. hope it psses soon. not a fan of a headache.

Hair loss. This is one of the most disturbing side effect one can experience, even though not everyone experience this. It literally took away one year of my life recuperating at home.

Other side effects that I experience after I stop taking accutane were, wrinkles (due to dry skin while on accutane), extremely sensitive skin, stretch marks, scars and slow wound healing.

P.S. I am not against anyone considering accutane because it is up to personal choice and I understand that acne can ruins people life as well, but do remember that some rare side effects may happen to some unlucky ones.

IMO Tane far outweighs the side effects i've experienced. It was all worthwhile..

As for side effects- dry lips, some hair loss( didnt have much to start with lol), joint aches @ elbow and pelvis mostly..didnt bother me at rest only during strenous exercises..did not go away after treatment though. Dry skin on back of arms and hands. Blemishes seemed to fade slower whilst on Tane. Excessive skin peeling (face) towards the end of my course.

Thats about all I can think of, good luck!

Kris

Whilst on it:

- Dry skin and lips

- two nosebleeds - very minor

- mild/moderate back pain which cleared up after a month or so

- occassional muscle aches

1 month after finishing:

- Widespread, severe chronic joint pain that doesn't respond to any treatments

- Loss of appetite

- Loss of libido

- Stomach cramps and sick feeling when eating

- Depression- mainly because of all the above.

Was it worth it - NOT FOR SH*T.

I am only on day 7 of my Accutane adventure, but, so far, some right eye issues (dryness I guess, achy). And loss of appetite/nausea. Basically for the last 6 days I haven't ate dinner or snacks or anything after say 3pm (breakfast and lunch, but no dinner and night time snacking). It is like clock work - feel nausea/loss of appetite around that time and lasts till the next morning. The cysts/nodules continue to ache and I think a few of them have seem to bleed easy(not sure if that is a bad thing). Some head aches (which I think have been triggered by the painful cysts/nodulars on the forehead.

dry skin,dry lips, dry ass (takin a nice shit gets hardcore..) sometimes fatigue...thats it more less..

I am only on my 7th day of accutane as well. So far I have experienced very dry/peeling skin on my face (even with exfoliating and moisturizers), very dry lips (keep chapstick or aquaphor on them 24/7), mild nose bleeds, dry/red eyes, trouble sleeping...I fall asleep when I hit the pillow (because I'm so tired from not getting sleep the night before), but have a hard time staying asleep through out the night, and mood changes. I had a headache only the first 2 days. My boyfriend and I have noticed that I have been acting different the past few days. I'm very mellow, quiet, and my boyfriend says I seem like I'm in my own world. Normally I'm talkative, goofy and laughing a lot...so this is totally not like me. I don't know if I just need some sleep or if it's from the tane. I work out 6 days a week and haven't noticed any unusual joint/muscle pain and really hope I do not experience that symptom. It's kind of crazy how I'm experiencing all of these side effects after being on the med for only a week.

2 years post tane all these still persist

started with dry eyes and continued to develop more problems as time went on

still have acne

insomnia

heart palpitations/heart arrhythmia/major pain/pounding heart

loss of libido/impotent/less sexual sensation

dry eye syndrome/blepharitis/blurry eyes

dry hair

dry lips

dry mouth

dry nasal passage

seb derm

hair loss/receding hairline

breathing difficulty/cant take full breathes

rosacea, flushing, permanent redness on both cheeks

fragile skin

joint pains

chronic fatigue

dizzy feeling

circulation problems

body weakness

muscle weakness

slow wound healing

inflammatory bowel disease ( major stomach pains )

short term memory loss

social anxiety disorder

personality changes

incoherent speech

loss of vocabulary

thats the jist of it

i am pretty much the unluckiest person when it comes to tane

2 years post tane all these still persist

started with dry eyes and continued to develop more problems as time went on

still have acne

insomnia

heart palpitations/heart arrhythmia/major pain/pounding heart

loss of libido/impotent/less sexual sensation

dry eye syndrome/blepharitis/blurry eyes

dry hair

dry lips

dry mouth

dry nasal passage

seb derm

hair loss/receding hairline

breathing difficulty/cant take full breathes

rosacea, flushing, permanent redness on both cheeks

fragile skin

joint pains

chronic fatigue

dizzy feeling

circulation problems

body weakness

muscle weakness

slow wound healing

inflammatory bowel disease ( major stomach pains )

short term memory loss

social anxiety disorder

personality changes

incoherent speech

loss of vocabulary

thats the jist of it

i am pretty much the unluckiest person when it comes to tane

I have used accutane 3 times. The first time I used it-it really caught me off guard, I had no idea that it would make me worse-I didn't have any money and was in college, so I had to preform my own surgery on my face to remove white BB size nodules "very charming". I managed to survive college-I'm not sure how I made it through, since the side effects were so dramatic. I was very depressed, so keep an eye on that. I was also suicidal and crashed more then one motorcycle. After I finished the course and several months later I looked normal other then some scars from the initial outbreak. If you ask me take Bactrim two weeks prior to taking the Tane. After the accutane wore off I had more oil on my face then before-not sure if that would of happen or not "a real shocker". I used accutane two more times-it didn't seem to work as well the following times-nor did I experience the awful side effects. I believe my personality was never the same after using accutane. I was a layed back guy and happy even though I had that garbage on my face. I just had to deal with it. Even over time, I was still suicidal-took chances I would never have taken before using it. But, I did look perfectly acceptable in society-that's what we all want. I know, I suffer from things like joint pain, depression and many of the things moregano has listed, I have always felt like a dried up piece of s**t even after the first round wore off and I was oily again-I was even more oily then before the first treatment. Accutane is great if you want temporary freedom from this hell, but long term, I'm not so sure. It's up to you and what you want. It's your life, look normal young and suffer from problems when your older "like me" or deal with acne and miss those important years.

Dry lips and very slight dry skin just a few weeks into the course. They disappear in the 2nd month and after that had no more side effects.

I'm already post-tane for 9 months.

nothing for the first month and a half

after 1.5 months, dry lips hit hard, followed by a change in mindset, kind of a bit of depression which caused me to lose my libido and not be able to perform when with a girl, got off it and 4 days later was fine again, debating on whether to start up again

Thankyou all for your replies so far.

Looks like most of you have experienced side effects mentioned in the patient information leaflet under the 'common side effects' section. Most of the side effects most of you experience is on the outside, and not the inside.

If this is the case, I think I should try it.

I understand that a blood and liver test is needed. How is this done? I haven't done these tests before. How are the results like and how are they interpreted? Are they like numbers from a scale or something?

To the user 'Moregano' or anyone who can answer this:

why do yo still have acne, along with the side effects after finishing your course? I thought one course of accutane will cure it?

"why do yo still have acne, along with the side effects after finishing your course? I thought one course of accutane will cure it?"

because accutane is a terrible drug and derms know f*ck all about it. everyone's bodies are different, some individuals will be cured of acne on a low dose while others will have it come back on a high dose. I only had moderate acne to begin with and I was on 80mg. acne started coming back around 6 months after my last pill. to be honest i never fully cleared up either, i stopped breaking out for awhile but i had a sh*tload of redmarks i still have to this day. that's the least of my problems now though, it's the permanent side effects that give me a hard time. i would strongly suggest you don't go on accutane especially if your acne is not severe, if you do insist with it, atleast ask your derm for a low dose treatment no more than 20mg. this will greatly reduce the chance of you developing any life long side effects. go read about accutane on the internet as well, you will find lots more information there.

I understand that a blood and liver test is needed. How is this done? I haven't done these tests before. How are the results like and how are they interpreted? Are they like numbers from a scale or something?

All they do is take a little vial of your blood then get it back to the lab. Your results (or the ones that were ordered for me) will come back to tell how well your liver is functioning. For my first blood test, my doc ran a total blood panel for me to get a baseline. Then after that I have been getting a lipoprotein panel and ALT. Within your lipoportein panel will come your triglycerides which is produced in your liver. They help to store engery, which can cause fatigue if your tris drop. Your ALT measures how (if) damaged your liver is. You will typically see some of this in your blood, but when your liver becomes damaged your body will release more of this into your bloodstream.

Woohoo! My physiology class in college paid off! :)

As for side effects, dry lips, corner of my mouth cracking, dry nose (no nosebleeds though!), dry eyes, bad night vision, day vision sometimes fuzzy, a headache here or there, the first week achiness in elbows, now some achiness in lower back but that may just be me, I have a bad back. Dry skin on face and hands, flaky skin on face, skin pink and flushed looking the first couple of weeks, but no depression or mood swings or suicidal tendencies.

All they do is take a little vial of your blood then get it back to the lab. Your results (or the ones that were ordered for me) will come back to tell how well your liver is functioning. For my first blood test, my doc ran a total blood panel for me to get a baseline. Then after that I have been getting a lipoprotein panel and ALT. Within your lipoportein panel will come your triglycerides which is produced in your liver. They help to store engery, which can cause fatigue if your tris drop. Your ALT measures how (if) damaged your liver is. You will typically see some of this in your blood, but when your liver becomes damaged your body will release more of this into your bloodstream.

Woohoo! My physiology class in college paid off! :)

As for side effects, dry lips, corner of my mouth cracking, dry nose (no nosebleeds though!), dry eyes, bad night vision, day vision sometimes fuzzy, a headache here or there, the first week achiness in elbows, now some achiness in lower back but that may just be me, I have a bad back. Dry skin on face and hands, flaky skin on face, skin pink and flushed looking the first couple of weeks, but no depression or mood swings or suicidal tendencies.

Did the side effects only last for a few hours during each day or during the whole day?

"why do yo still have acne, along with the side effects after finishing your course? I thought one course of accutane will cure it?"

because accutane is a terrible drug and derms know f*ck all about it. everyone's bodies are different, some individuals will be cured of acne on a low dose while others will have it come back on a high dose. I only had moderate acne to begin with and I was on 80mg. acne started coming back around 6 months after my last pill. to be honest i never fully cleared up either, i stopped breaking out for awhile but i had a sh*tload of redmarks i still have to this day. that's the least of my problems now though, it's the permanent side effects that give me a hard time. i would strongly suggest you don't go on accutane especially if your acne is not severe, if you do insist with it, atleast ask your derm for a low dose treatment no more than 20mg. this will greatly reduce the chance of you developing any life long side effects. go read about accutane on the internet as well, you will find lots more information there.

I was thinking of Accutane because of the scarring, which doesn't seem to fade away, and spots coming up once in a while. I haven't been referred to the derm yet though. If the derm decide to let me go on accutane, I think it will be a low dose too, probably 1 tablet in the morning and night. I read somewhere taht the dose will depend on your weight and blood tests.

Also, I did research about accutane on the internet, and read the patient information leaflet online.

What side effects do you still have after finishing Accutane?

I just don't understand why Accutane is a terrible drug with lots of side effects. Who invented it to be like this? :(

I was thinking of Accutane because of the scarring, which doesn't seem to fade away, and spots coming up once in a while. I haven't been referred to the derm yet though. If the derm decide to let me go on accutane, I think it will be a low dose too, probably 1 tablet in the morning and night. I read somewhere taht the dose will depend on your weight and blood tests.

Also, I did research about accutane on the internet, and read the patient information leaflet online.

What side effects do you still have after finishing Accutane?

I just don't understand why Accutane is a terrible drug with lots of side effects. Who invented it to be like this? :(

Most of the side effects disappear after the the course is finish but some do persist after the course and those are the minority.

It does have terrible side effects but only a minority will get the terrible side effects about 20% so its like 2 out of 10 people and they are mostly asscociated with high doses. So if you keep it low and are well monitored throughout the course you should be fine. Should you feel weird during your course, you should stop immediately or discuss with your derm before proceeding.

It was invented for unbearable severe acne in the first place. Also I'm sure as the FDA has approved this drug for use, it should have gone through its share of clinical trials and so far most do have positive reviews for this drug.

Its still up to you whether you want to take it or not but I won't suggest taking accutane if you have not tried other treatments yet.

i had the usual dry skin/lips etc. but worst side effect of all was redness and inflammation at the tip of my penis and just inside my urethra. i went back to the doctors about it loads and they told me thats its probably a side effect and told me to moisturise it, been given other steroids and antibacterial creams but the problem is still there 6 weeks after stopping roaccutane. it only hurts when i ejaculate, worst side effect definitely