Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moneypenny

Anyone have good results with Accutane?

I am a 28 year old woman with moderate to severe acne (mostly non-cystic ) on my face, neck, chest and back, which I have had for the last 16 years. I have tried all forms of treatment including any over the counter product you can name, 3 types of oral antibiotics, topical erythromycin, Retin-A, Differin, and birth control pills. Nothing has worked for more than a couple of months to control my acne. I am considering Accutane as my next step, because I am not keen on using spironolactone as it is a long term treatment and I have other health problems it may effect.

Are there any ladies out there in their 20's and 30's with my type of acne who have had success with Accutane? I am just wondering if there are ladies similar to myself who have had good results with Accutane before I make any decisions. Thanks for your input!

Check out the Accutane log forum or Accutane posts forum. Both have before-after pictures, many from ladies in your age bracket.

Accutane is the single most powerful anti-acne agent available, and will 'cure' acne in about 50% of cases. Almost everyone who uses it sees a marked improvement, regardless of age of cause of your acne.

Unfortunately it also comes with some potentially serious side effects. I haven't experienced any (and I'm on my 5th course of Accutane) but you should speak to your Derm.

I took 2 courses in my 20s. It did absolutely nothing. See my sig for what did.

90%+ of users have positive results. Literally millions of people around the world have Accutane to thank for their clear skin. As I said, in 50% of all cases acne is cleared completely. I am now on my 5th course and my acne disappears after each course and comes back with less severity.

Changing your diet may slightly improve your acne. Accutane has a 50% chance of permanently clearing up your acne forever.

Before you try Accutane (which is a pretty serious drug), maybe you could try out a dandruff shampoo like Nizoral or Head and Shoulders if you haven't already. A lot of people have had great success treating their body "acne" with those. I put acne in brackets there because a lot of times body acne is really fungal folliculitis. It looks just like acne, but doesn't respond to acne medication. You can treat it with a dandruff shampoo however.

Please go check out this thread for more info:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Pityrospo...is-t208147.html

Even if you don't think that's what you have, if you're at the stage of considering accutane, I'd advise you try it- if only to rule it out.

Take care!

akko

Accutane works for sure, no doubting that for the majority of users. I'm clear because of it and thankful at that, but it did come at a severe cost.

90%+ of users have positive results. Literally millions of people around the world have Accutane to thank for their clear skin. As I said, in 50% of all cases acne is cleared completely. I am now on my 5th course and my acne disappears after each course and comes back with less severity.

Changing your diet may slightly improve your acne. Accutane has a 50% chance of permanently clearing up your acne forever.

Well, regardless of those 'statistics', 2 courses of accutane did absolutely nothing for me. And the OP asked for experiences with accutane. Meanwhile, changing my diet has cleared my skin completely and it did it within 2 months. And with no negative side effects. Plenty of good side effects, though. It has far more important health and beauty benefits than just clearing acne.

Well, regardless of those 'statistics', 2 courses of accutane did absolutely nothing for me. And the OP asked for experiences with accutane. Meanwhile, changing my diet has cleared my skin completely and it did it within 2 months. And with no negative side effects. Plenty of good side effects, though. It has far more important health and beauty benefits than just clearing acne.

I don't doubt it worked for you, I'm definitely happy for you. Simply pointing out that you are an exception to the rule, and most people will get excellent results only from Accutane.