Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anonymousmom

New here-with adult acne-can't see a derm 'til Jan 09

I just found this site tonight & have posted under the Introductions section.

I'm 30 and have the worst acne ever this year. I never had a problem with acne before I had kids. I must say that I think I have severe acne now.

I tried getting in to the dermatologists office, and I won't be able to do so until after the new year. My face is actually painful & very itchy - there is no way I'm going to make it 'til January like this! I am breaking out with like 3 new pimples or whatever everyday now!

I've tried Proactiv and the Clean & Clear system most recently. I'm going to stop that & just use Cetaphil Facial Cleanser for now.

Does anyone have any advice to help me cope 'til January???

I'm really confused now reading all the messages posted here and I'm thinking maybe I should get an allergy test?? Or cut out milk??

Your family doctor can also prescribe some decent anti-acne medications. Ask about antibiotics (specifically 'Bactrim' and 'Tetracycline') and topical agents ('Differin', 'Tazorac', etc).

There's no harm in trying out dietary things, although I tend to believe that no amount of moderate or severe acne can be affected too much by diet. Others on this forum will no doubt disagree with me on this, but it's based on my research and personal experience.

I think before you get to the Derma's office, you should definitely go see your family doctor first.

It sounds like it could be an allergic reaction if it's itchy, esp. if you've been pretty acne free before.

Whatever the case they might be able to give you something to tie you over until January.

Have you moved or changed your diet recently? Look for clues and that may help to narrow things down.

Good luck.

i know how frustrated you must feel but relax, you're with friends...LOL! yeah, i went to a primary care physician and got on anti's and differin which helped a little, until i could FINALLYYYY get to the derm. it's ridiculous how long you have to wait for those appts, and then when you finally get to see them they spend all of five minutes with you, if you're lucky! good luck to you. and proactiv is bull for people with moderate to sever. i think it promoted my cystic acne so screw that! i wish you the best... :dance:

I'm sorry you're having such a problem and can't get to a derm for a while. The two derms I recently saw(long story, see my posts elsewhere on this site) both told me to eleiminate things when I had a reaction(face swelled, eyelids became itchy and irritated, and eyes seeped) and slowly bring them back into my regimen again if I didn't want to have to go through allergy testing. I believe it was differin, sulfa sulfacemide, and possibly brevoxyl which caused me problems. the first derm thinks it was eyebrow waxing which was the culprit. Please visit again. In the meantime, you might try some homemade masques: oatmeal, avocado, etc. depending on your skin type. Google homemade masques, also purpose soap or cetaphil are gentle cleansers which may help as well. Good luck.

Where do you all go see a derm cuz I have 2 that I see and I have never had to wait longer than a few weeks to see one?

I agree, sonyaz. Even as a new patient, I've never waited that long to see a dermatologist. Anonymousmom, have you researched other dermatologists in your area? I found a new one by searching via the website for the insurance I have, also wanted to make sure the visit would be covered. Good luck.