Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HGB

(UPDATED, 90% clear!)So close, but so far.

I've had mild mild mild acne since the start of high school, around when I was 14. It was never really bad. It started getting worse and worse. My acne is centralized around my forehead, going from the spots next to my eyes all around my eyebrows and up to my hairline.

I get constant acne around my mouth and nose, small bumps here and there that are not a big concern to me. I have some redspots and little little bumps around my sideburns but they are also not a big concern to me.

What really really is bugging me is the severeness of the acne on my forehead. My hair used to be long and for a while I just thought it was the greasiness of that. However, I got my haircut and May and many times after that and the only thing that changed was that all of the giant pimples went away.

I used many different types of Regimens and cleansers. None of them worked long term or got to a point where my face didn't improve at all.

I've used...

Dan's Regimen

ProActiv

Neutrogena oil free face wash

Oxy Clean Pads

My forehead is very very oily and flaky. I've been trying to use water along with a holistic regimen to remove the dead skin off my forehead and the grease but its only worked to a certain degree. There are no big pimples, just a number of small red bumps that make my forehead look really red.

Here's what I need.

I want a both holistic and cleaning regimen. I need recommendations on a gentle cleanser and a good exfoliator. I think my pores are just very clogged and filled with oils and grease rather than alot of bacteria. I also want a basic supplement regimen, or a way to figure out what my body is lacking so I can give it what it needs.

Hi HGB!

I believe you are in luck. Usually I'm not too sure from people's symptoms if they have folliculitis or not, but from what you describe I am almost completely positive that you do indeed have it. And the good news is you don't need to go on an extensive holistic and cleansing regimen- I mean, you can if you want to- but to control your condition you will probably only need a bottle of Nizoral shampoo. Pityrosporum folliculitis is caused by a fungus- the same fungus that gives you dandruff I believe- and when it overgrows on your skin instead of your scalp, it can look a lot like acne, except that acne products are mostly useless against it. Mine looked exactly like this:

http://www.cfpc.ca/cfp/2005/Apr/_images/cme_2_pic4.jpg

It was a whole bunch of congested pores and greasy flakes. It would flare red and itch sometimes. No product or diet seemed to work on it. The dermatologists that I saw told me I needed to exfoliate more- then I found that picture on the net and knew I had it.

If this sounds like what you have, wash the infected areas with Nizoral shampoo twice a day. Lather up, leave it on 3-5 minutes and rinse. You should start to see results after a couple of days and significant improvements after a week. Keep washing with it as you need to.

Good luck!

I'm not sure if my face is like that. Here is my current condition. I recently broke out pretty bad on my forehead (white head the size of a pebble) that I popped so it is partially red.

post-79146-1224622520_thumb.jpg

post-79146-1224622531_thumb.jpg

post-79146-1224622546_thumb.jpg

post-79146-1224622584_thumb.jpg

post-79146-1224622520_thumb.jpg

post-79146-1224622531_thumb.jpg

post-79146-1224622546_thumb.jpg

post-79146-1224622584_thumb.jpg

That looks like folliculitis to me! Of course, I'm not a dermatologist, but I don't think there would be any harm in trying out the Nizoral for a week or two, and see if it improves. It's up to you to though! :)

I'm kinda on the borderline of various different methods. I was going to go out yesterday and try some, but I didn't get home from work until 11. Right now I'm going to try a mild cleanser (probably cetaphil or something), baby brush method and a moisturizer (any suggestions would be appreciated).

Your forehead seems to be significantly worse than the rest of your face. Do you wear hats, headbands, or things like that a lot? I've noticed that when I wear a hat and sweat, my forehead breaks out.

UPDATE!!!!!

Now on November 6th, I went to my dermatologist and he subscribed me with some Retin-A cream with a pad facewash. I don't know how well the facewash works, but the Retin-A made me 90% clear of pimples. Whats left on my face is healing and inflamed acne.

Right Side (Worse)

post-79146-1232068613_thumb.jpg

Left Side (clear :D )

post-79146-1232068630_thumb.jpg

Face

post-79146-1232068637_thumb.jpg

Foreheaed

post-79146-1232068689_thumb.jpg

Right now my question is:

What are the best supplements to finish clearing my skin? I don't want to stray from Retin-A and put anything else on my skin. I haven't had a steady regimen with Fish oil, but my doseage for a while was 2 1200mg day and 2 at night. (Was gonna increase to 2 in the morning and 3 at night)

Please post recommendations for supplements+doseages :)

UPDATE!!!!!

Now on November 6th, I went to my dermatologist and he subscribed me with some Retin-A cream with a pad facewash. I don't know how well the facewash works, but the Retin-A made me 90% clear of pimples. Whats left on my face is healing and inflamed acne.

Right Side (Worse)

Face

Foreheaed

What are the best supplements to finish clearing my skin? I don't want to stray from Retin-A and put anything else on my skin. I haven't had a steady regimen with Fish oil, but my doseage for a while was 2 1200mg day and 2 at night. (Was gonna increase to 2 in the morning and 3 at night)

If you go off the retin-a your acne will come back, so stay on the retin-A. in terms of supplements, sounds like you need just a good multivitamin every day. Congratulations! You look terrific

I didn't plan going off the Retin-A. I just wanted something to go along with the retin-a to help speed up the healing and make my skin look better overall. This is how my skin has looked for about 2 or 3 weeks now. Its now clearing up very very slowly.

UPDATE!!!!!

Right Side (Worse)

Face

Foreheaed

How long did Retin-A take for you to work? I also have very mild acne. . . . Cozz im on it for a month.. .. .

Looks like Retin-A has done wonders for you. Could you describe your daily regimen as well as what % you use? I currently have 0.04% Retin-A Micro.

I have .025% Rx subscription. I put it on once at night and then use the facewash pads in the morning. In the morning I use the pads AFTER I shower because I tried it before, and the pad just absorbs all the grease then the medication rinses off anyway.

The pads are Clindamycin Phosphate Topical Solution, USP Pledget

For the first couple of weeks, I did 2 fishoil in the morning and 2 at night.

I had all of my big pimples on my forehead and on the sides of my head really bad next to my eyes. They cleared up in a few weeks. All or most all of my pimples went away within the first month. Right now its keeping the pimples away and letting my face heal.

Alright, here's my current regimen if anyone is interested.

MORNING:

Shower, splash water onto face (not let the water hit directly from the shower)

Pat face dry, then put on the Clindamycin Phosphate

Take 3 1200 mg fish oil pills (I try to eat, but usually I have to wait till I get to school)

Night:

Rinse face (ONLY IF VERY GREASY)

Put on the Retin-A

Take 3 fishoil

I try to drink about 6-8 bottles of water every day (refill them, of course)

Not only is my face skin smoother, alot of dry spots on my arm are healing that came in with the winter.

I will try to post pics as I progress.

Quick Update:

I went off the Fish oil. For whatever reason, I broke out for the first time in a month after 3 days on it. I stopped using it the day after my post, and all of my big zits cleared up. I'm sticking with my current dermatologist prescribed treatment and that only. Along with eating healthier ( a little ) and drinking lots of water.

Bump! I'm pretty much clear. I still get very few pimples here and there (mostly shaving bumps), but that's not important.

Towards December/November I started breaking out a bit again. I went to a new dermatologist because my old one was ridiculous in terms of waiting and taking about 5 minutes to examine me. The new dermatologist prescribed me with stronger retin-a and a facewash/lotion. It worked wonders and now I just manage my very mild breakouts.

You may notice I'm a bit red around my nose/cheeks. I work outside all day/everyday. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some good sunscreen and something that reduces redness. Its no big deal, just that at the risk of damaging my skin I'd like some decent protection. I don't peel or anything on my face ever so its going to stay there until I stop going outside (which is never).

post-79146-1278302622_thumb.jpg

post-79146-1278302622_thumb.jpg

Not noticeably. I think the facewash made some breakouts appear a little more clearly at first, but the retin-A I used a lot of spot treatment (well around my face, I used it all over my forehead).

Guest Timehealsall

hey, so i am assuming you do not have folluculitis?

No it wasn't foliculitis. I tried treating it with nizoral and it did nothing. I asked my derm about it and she said the bumps on my forehead weren't consistent with fungus. Trust your dermatologist and be patient.