Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kabebe

how to cope

I am 28 and have had an off and on struggle with acne. I was clear for about year and a half and all of a sudden in the past 6 weeks I have been breaking out uncontrollably. It is straining my relationship with my boyfriend because I have lost all of my self confidence. I don't feel pretty ever and I feel like he deserves someone much prettier than me. I eat very healthily, even no dairy or red meat, and I very rarely drink. I am so depressed and have a hard time even getting out of bed and facing the day. I teach high school and I spend most of the day staring at teenagers with clearer skin than I have, coming home only more depressed. How do you all cope? Is there anything that has worked wonders for you? My cousin recommends acnexus but I am scared to try it in case it makes me even worse. Even worse than the acne are the marks left behind by the old zits! ARGH!!!!

Were you on anything when you were clear? I know for me, I am willing to go on antibiotics until things are under control so I can start working on internal things that may be causing it. It's hard to see the light of day when the acne just keeps coming with no end in sight. I'd rather deal with the complications of anti-biotics, then just let the acne run wild. Have you tried accutane?

Were you on anything when you were clear? I know for me, I am willing to go on antibiotics until things are under control so I can start working on internal things that may be causing it. It's hard to see the light of day when the acne just keeps coming with no end in sight. I'd rather deal with the complications of anti-biotics, then just let the acne run wild. Have you tried accutane?

My derm just put me on cephadroxil. I've been on it for like 3 weeks but nothing yet. I tried accutane when I was younger but it didn't seem to help. I think the worst part is probably the red marks left over, it makes things look way worse than they actually are! Have you tried taking probiotics at all?

I can agree with you on this one. I am 49 and I still deal with acne, eczema, and now lines, wrinkles and puffiness as I get older. My acne went balistic about 6,7 yrs ago when my hubby and I got fired from our jobs. Then the eczema came after I used a high end make up and I still battle it to this day, in the meantime my dad passed away, my oldest went to college and I had been working at a DQ where I live for 2yrs prior to that whole mess. I have gone through lots of changes, some good some bad and I know what you are talking about when the kids I work with are half my age or younger and have the clearest skin, no pores, zits, red marks not even a hair out of place and they have the skin I deserve for all the HELL I have been through! They shove their faces full of ice cream, fried foods and drink gallons of soda a day while I eat good, drink lots of water and when I have a soda, its diet. Its genetics, has to be. So I do the best I can, still use BP, neosporin helps also I have found. I am better with my skin, cetaphil cleanser, and cetaphil cream to moisturize as I have extremely dry, dry skin. I still cry about it, get mad at my skin and my genes and pray that my girls don't go through what I have. Ones on bc and the other one has experienced some extra acne but she just started college and its very stressful for her so come christmas break she will probably see the dr about bc also. All I can say is I feel for you, Elf

Damn..I totally understand how you feel. I'm 28 and have been suffering from acne on and off since I was 19. I tried everything, from topical products, accutane and antibiotics but acne alway came back after a while and, to make it worst, I am suffering from accutane side effects like hair loss, wrinkles and thinner sensitive skin after I went on accutane course for the second time.

I still cry about it, get mad at my skin and my genes

Same here, I understand it wasn't their fault but I especially blame my maternal grandmother parents for all the shits that I have to go through every single day.

It's just so stressful and disheartening. I caught a glimpse of myself in my car mirror the other day and started to cry because I look so bad. My parents never even had acne, I am the only member of my family to suffer. That only makes it worse to me. Why me? Why so bad?

My parents never even had acne, I am the only member of my family to suffer. That only makes it worse to me. Why me? Why so bad?

Same here! Nope of my parents and siblings have acne. My elder sister and little brother have very smooth and clear skin. I really envy them and I don't even know why I experience acne and scars while nope of them have such problem ever. I believe I inherited the gene on my mom grandparents since some of my mom brothers and sister suffered from acne years ago.

I am 28 and have had an off and on struggle with acne. I was clear for about year and a half and all of a sudden in the past 6 weeks I have been breaking out uncontrollably. It is straining my relationship with my boyfriend because I have lost all of my self confidence. I don't feel pretty ever and I feel like he deserves someone much prettier than me. I eat very healthily, even no dairy or red meat, and I very rarely drink. I am so depressed and have a hard time even getting out of bed and facing the day. I teach high school and I spend most of the day staring at teenagers with clearer skin than I have, coming home only more depressed. How do you all cope? Is there anything that has worked wonders for you? My cousin recommends acnexus but I am scared to try it in case it makes me even worse. Even worse than the acne are the marks left behind by the old zits! ARGH!!!!

Have you ever considered seeing a dermatologist, or even your doctor can give you a referral or prescribe you something if you might need it. Also, I am sure your boyfriend thinks the world of you regardless of how your face looks. Us guys don't care if our girlfriends breakout, as long as they are happy with us. Like you, I am also the only one in my whole family that ever got acne...it's frustrating but we have to deal with the cards that life deal us. Honestly, once you are clear you'll look back and wonder why you worried over this. Good luck!

Have you ever considered seeing a dermatologist, or even your doctor can give you a referral or prescribe you something if you might need it. Also, I am sure your boyfriend thinks the world of you regardless of how your face looks. Us guys don't care if our girlfriends breakout, as long as they are happy with us. Like you, I am also the only one in my whole family that ever got acne...it's frustrating but we have to deal with the cards that life deal us. Honestly, once you are clear you'll look back and wonder why you worried over this. Good luck!

I have seen a derm, she put me on cephadroxil...so far nothing yet...

I can't offer any solution, but i can certainely empathize. Going on 24 now, and i really don't remember what having clear skin is. It is really one of those things that until you have it, you don't understand how it can effect someon'es confidence to the extent that it can. Best of luck kabebe.

Yes I've tried probiotics. I take them during and after a course of antibiotics. They don't clear up my acne; if anything, I get more acne every time I take the probiotics. Is that stuff your doc gave you an antibiotic? Have you tried minocycline? That works very well for me, and fast! I would recommend azelaic acid heated in water for a toner morning and night. It won't dry your skin and it helps with active acne, and marks left afterward. Start looking into what you can do internally to cure your acne. I know you said you ate well, but you still may be reacting to something "healthy" that you are eating. Keep a food log and a corresponding acne log. Try cutting out one food at a time to see if it helps. I would start with dairy. If that doesn't work, try gluten. You can even get a food allergy test done to speed up the trial and error process. Drink a shot of vinegar 3 times a day. Use natural, non-drying products on your skin. I broke out the most when I washed my face more than twice a week with otc face washes. Just using water helped, but now I've found natural things that help even more like aspirin mask with honey and b5. You can even use sea salt to wash your face. The point is to keep it from drying which causes more complications and more breakouts. This may sound funny, but I started coffee enemas about a week ago, and I haven't gotten a single new zit since.... not one. My skin doesn't even feel like it's zit prone anymore. I'm still hesitant to wake up thinking that I won't have any new zits cause I'm so used to getting them. It's a strange feeling when you just don't get them anymore. My vision is improving too. The enema stimulates and cleanses the liver, which is vital for healthy skin.

I feel your pain. I am a 28 year old femal and I have been suffering from acne since I was 12. I have been on every different kind of treatment there is except accutane over the last 16 years.

I just started seeing a dermotologist again since my skin has gotten progressively worse over the last couple of years. She just put me on spironolactone which I had not heard of. It is a blood pressure med that they use at lower doses to treat the hormonal causes of acne in adult women. It takes about 3 months to work so I can't say if it is helping me or not yet. It may be another option for you.

I'm taking spironolactone 100 mg.(a.m.), and solodyn(minocyclin) 45 mg.(p.m.). also using atralin gel .05% and washing w/cetaphil 2x/day. Began spiro & mino 32 days ago and I'm seeing results, even though, I missed a dose here and there, due to an adverse reaction to something. I was trying to eliminate things to determine what caused my face to swell, etc.(see posts in other places on this site.) God luck w/whatever you choose to try. Hopefully, it will work for you.

Moneypenny-please keep me(as well as everyone else)posted on how spiro is working for you. Thank you.