Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
donnatkb

F.D.A.'s List of 10 most DANGEROUS drugs

*Accutane (isotretinoin) - indicated for the treatment of severe recalcitrant nodular acne

*Actiq (fentanyl citrate) - indicated for the management of severe cancer pain in patients who are tolerant to opioid therapy

*Clozaril (clozapine) - indicated for the management of severe schizophrenia in patients who fail to respond to standard drug treatments for schizophrenia

*Lotronex (alosetron hydrochloride) - indicated for the treatment of severe irritable bowel syndrome in women

*Mifiprex (mifepristone or RU-486) - indicated for the medical termination of early intrauterine pregnancy

*Thalomid (thalidomide) - indicated for the acute treatment of the cutaneous manifestations of moderate to severe erythema nodosum leprosum

*Tikosyn (dofetilide) - indicated for the maintenance of normal sinus rhythm in patients with certain cardiac arrhythmias

*Tracleer (bosentan)- indicated for the treatment of severe pulmonary arterial hypertension

*Trovan (trovafloxacin mesylate or alatrofloxacin mesylate injection) - an antibiotic administered in in-patient health care settings for the treatment of severe, life-threatening infections

*Xyrem (sodium oxybate)- indicated for the treatment of cataplexy in patients with narcolepsy

Link?

Actiq is not intrinsically dangerous when used as prescribed for cancer patients who are tolerant to opiods. Tolerance to opioid therapy in cancer pain management is exceedingly common. If I ever have cancer pain, I sure want pain relief however it comes. Addiction is NOT a concern when a medication is used AS prescribed for the approved reason. Why is it not a concern? Intractable pain is worse than addiction and addiction is rare for those who take a medication as prescribed for the reason the medication is prescribed. Unfortunately, too many people are using the medication not as prescribed for things like venous stasis ulcer pain or even post-operative pain. Sure, that is extremely painful, BUT Actiq is not indicated for that use. MDs who prescribe or cave into patient's demands for 'this thing I heard about on TV' bear some of the blame, as of course do the patients themselves. Limiting the number of refills will go a long way in helping stop abuse.

Lotronex is not marketed anymore. It WAS a horribly rushed approval with insufficient clinical trialing and insufficient longer-term studies on long-term potential effects (ruptured bowel, ischemic colitis, etc). So was Chantix's approval too rushed. It is now not allowed by FAA and some other transportation agencies.

Just like for Accutane's usage, Clozapine has a narrow definition for when it should be used. There are risks and benefits to EVERY medication and supplement, even food. A schizophrenic patient is likely willing to risk those side effects to obtain some relief from the horrible symptoms of schizophrenia.

Accutane is indicated only for severe recalcitrant nodular acne. Yet look at how many people BEG for it when they just have mild acne; cost/benefit again. Perhaps that person is willing to risk any side effects to get clear because acne is so devastating to her personally. Perhaps the physician realizes that and will prescribe the medication for a more mild form of acne because that physician knows the alternative - potential scarring or psychological impairment due to acne. Risk/benefit.

Again, thalidomide is a risk/benefit consideration. Untreated pain in leprosy patients...I can only imagine the terrible pain. Pain must be relieved or the person's quality of life and dignity and even mental status will further deteriorate. Just don't have pregnant leprosy patients take it.

Clinical trials are limited in so many ways due to fear of lawsuits so that the 'general population' is almost NEVER represented in any modern clinical trial. Persons with some underlying illnesses are not allowed to participate, yet when the drug is released, those excluded persons are prescribed the drugs as the MDs use the prescribing information for dosages/indications for use.

ALL medications have risks of side effects. Some of those side effects are also dependent on lifestyle choices (illicit drug use, alcohol use, etc). Some side effects are horribly worse than others, some side effects will kill a person. Adverse reactions can even encompass an allergic reaction; those are also deadly sometimes. Allergic reactions cannot always be predicted although cross-sensitivities are closely examined when those cross-sensivities are known (penicillin/cephalosporins).

By all means, don't take a drug if the side effects scare you. Those side effects COULD happen. Then again, they might not.

Take a look at the potential side effects from acetaminophen or ibuprofen someday. Or aspirin.

On another note, here is personal experience I've seen regarding another contested medication:

Some people despise Zyprexa and want it off the market because of its side effects. Those people generally also do not see the incredible improvements made by psychotic or demented/depressed patients who take even small doses of zyprexa. Pharmacists (due to federal and state law) recommend a drug holiday or reduction for certain medications due to the potential for tardive dyskinesia or other side effects posed by certain psychoactive (and other drugs, like reglan/metoclopramide) drugs. Then the poor patient gets tapered down on the medication....stops eating, stops drinking, hides in the room in fear of the world, eats feces, smears feces on the wall. Yep, Zyprexa saves that person's dignity and provides that person with normality, not 'sub-human behavior. The person may risk diabetes. The person may risk weight gain. Cost/benefit again. Zyprexa is incredibly beneficial in the older, geriatric population particularly. Weight gain is hard to encourage and the side effect of diabetes is seriously almost inconsequential compared to the benefits. I myself have NOT seen an older patient develop diabetes from zyprexa usage, but I have seen people who begin to enjoy family visits, begin to interact normally with staff (not threatening us with knives, spitting on us, beating us, pulling our hair, you know, that type of stuff because they're in a constant rage due to chemical imbalances or brain infarcts).

Pharmacists HAVE to, BY law, recommend the reductions in dosages even if the patient's body image/behavior/what have you is improved on the current dosage. The lowest effective dose is necessary, and the pharmacists will continue to recommend reductions until the patient shows symptoms, and then increase the dose again. Of course, the doctor is able to deny the pharmacist's recommendation and provide reasons for same (multiple failed prior attempted dose reductions is one major reason to deny a request for reduction). Some of my favorite doctors write the most incredible detailed narrative progress notes about a patient's response to medications so that the patient doesn't have to suffer from repeated dosage reduction attempts.

Wow, I wrote more than I expected to. But this is a subject I am very concerned with as I see too much misinformation, misdirection and just plain outright lies sometimes in regard to the medical profession (please note that I do not direct the preceeding at the original poster, only in general at those who hate the medical 'establishment'). I would bet that the majority of physicians and nurses and other medical professionals in the entire world ARE concerned with their patient's welfare, their patient's utmost potential and their patient's recovery as far as possible from whatever is wrong.

The list is in alphabetical order...not in order of danger.

And may I ask where you got this list?

Hahaha...

Agreed, please provide the link.

Everyone already knows Accutane is one of the most dangerous but did you seriously not notice your list is in alphabetical order? LOL.

I am not so sure about misinformation. Side effects are not side effects, they are the effects of the substance which are not wanted / dangerous. A risk / benefit analysis can only work with what is predictedto happen, and often life is not like that, and people suffer permanent dis-satisfaction and after-effects of the substance which they took / were prescribed. It seems to me that often the 'side effects' which are said to occur in 1% of people will occur in 99%, so I think something is wrong with current clinical trial methodology. I hear about companies that want their drug / substance on the market, so they fudge the trials / cover up what is not so good about it. I know of one company that even have offered a bribe, aarh no, a financial incentive, to get their thing approved. I have even heard of original trial results differing from the trial results the producer offered to the relevant authority to get their thing approved.

I think that once a synthetic biomolecule gets introduced into the world, that previously never existed - watch out! One can not predict the full ramifications of introducing that never before existing molecule (in other words, this substance never previously existed in nature) into the world. This is the problem with ALL synthetic biomolecules, and not just drugs / medicines, I think. For example, it is no wonder to me that antibiotics are reported to help create 'super bugs', in the long run. It seems to me like people rarely consider the fact that pain-killers, and other pharmaceutical compounds are now being found in drinking water, suggesting large scale contamination of the environment with pharmaceutical compounds. I do not know about anyone else, but I do not want to drink tap water - laced with pain-killers, hormone therapy pills and things like that. Apparently people flush their powders down the drain sometimes...creating a bit of a mess.

I think what people need to take into account with Accutane's presence on these lists is the risk it poses to pregnancies. That's why it's a such a dangerous drug. Sure, it has side effects, but the huge potential for fetal deformities is what lands it on the dangerous list, not the risk of joint pain or something like that.

The list is in alphabetical order...not in order of danger.

And may I ask where you got this list?

Hahaha...

Agreed, please provide the link.

Everyone already knows Accutane is on the top ten list of most dangerous but did you seriously not notice your list is in alphabetical order? LOL.

Nah I didn't notice lol. :rolleyes:

Whatever I stopped taking it.

I am not so sure about misinformation. Side effects are not side effects, they are the effects of the substance which are not wanted / dangerous. A risk / benefit analysis can only work with what is predicted to happen, and often life is not like that, and people suffer permanent dis-satisfaction and after-effects of the substance which they took / were prescribed. It seems to me that often the 'side effects' which are said to occur in 1% of people will occur in 99%, so I think something is wrong with current clinical trial methodology. I hear about companies that want their drug / substance on the market, so they fudge the trials / cover up what is not so good about it. I know of one company that even have offered a bribe, aarh no, a financial incentive, to get their thing approved. I have even heard of original trial results differing from the trial results the producer offered to the relevant authority to get their thing approved.

I think that once a synthetic biomolecule gets introduced into the world, that previously never existed - watch out! One can not predict the full ramifications of introducing that never before existing molecule (in other words, this substance never previously existed in nature) into the world. This is the problem with ALL synthetic biomolecules, and not just drugs / medicines, I think. For example, it is no wonder to me that antibiotics are reported to help create 'super bugs', in the long run. It seems to me like people rarely consider the fact that pain-killers, and other pharmaceutical compounds are now being found in drinking water, suggesting large scale contamination of the environment with pharmaceutical compounds. I do not know about anyone else, but I do not want to drink tap water - laced with pain-killers, hormone therapy pills and things like that. Apparently people flush their powders down the drain sometimes...creating a bit of a mess.

Side effects are not always unwanted/dangerous. Sometimes medications are given FOR the side effects with the intended purpose of the medication being a 'bonus' and the prescribing information itself in some cases indicates those uses for the side effects. Remeron for instance is an anti-depressant but it's also given for cachectic or insomniac patients because of the side effects of weight gain (improved appetite from the drug itself, not from the relief of depression) and its somnolence inducing ability. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) as an anticholinergic/antihistamine: it's used for parkinsonian symptoms (the anticholinergic effects), drug allergy reactions, urticaria, insomnia, seasonal allergies, etc. Benadryl is used in insomnia due to its side effect of drowsiness. And of course the one I mentioned above (zyprexa) has the side effect of weight gain: that's desirable in some populations and makes it the drug of choice over other antipsychotics that have other side effects.

With ANYTHING taken into the body there will be unpredictable responses due to the impossibility of having a 'generic person' available for clinical trials who accurately represents every single person who might in the future take the medication. That is impossible to achieve. The cost/benefit analysis is done based on KNOWN issues (of course). As more side effects become known, the cost/benefit analysis changes. For many drugs (including Accutane), the mechanism of action is still not understood. It may NEVER be understood due to the myriad complications and complexities of each individual person's biopsychosocial makeup. The decision to take or not take any medication still remains one of whether you are willing to risk the side effects *known or unknown* versus the potential *not guaranteed* benefits from the drug.

Yes, indeed, overuse of antibiotics has led to the development of antibiotic resistant bacterial strains. In the early days of penicillin, MDs did not know of the dangers of drug resistance until they started seeing 'bugs' that would not respond to the PCN (I don't remember now how many years that took). NOW, the general public is as much to blame as the medical community for the community spread of certain antibiotic resistant bacteria (particularly MRSA and C-Diff). People visit their loved ones in hospital or nursing facilities and IGNORE the staff requests to don protective gear to even enter the room. One visitor told me "She's my mother, I don't have to wear gloves." I explained C-Diff's effects and how contagious it is, and how clostridium difficile spreads and that she is indeed at risk of catching it, and not only that, taking it home to her children and family. She said "Thanks for your concern" and did not wear gloves. She did not even wash her hands. That's not uncommon behavior; the misinformed and misdirected (out of loyalty or love or desire to 'save' or whatever), do indeed spread not only germs but incorrect information.

The general public itself STILL requests antibiotics for apparent viral infections or for even the most innocuous of bacterial infections when simply time and anti-inflammatories and chicken soup (yes, chicken soup!) will help the body fight the infection.

Ah a danger list means nothing to the majority here, people will still take it for the mildest cases of acne because what the heck, no nasty side effects will happen to them right?

No sacrifice, no victory Sheefa! ;)

Victory against what? Replacing acne with something else, possibly more serious? Or Victory because you survived tane therapy?

Hey ho perhaps you are right. However, a more appropriate sig would be No Cancer, No Accutane!

Victory against acne, the pain and suffering associated with it, the reason the majority of people are on this site.

I'd rather regret somthing i did, than have to regret not doing it in the first place

No sacrifice, no victory Sheefa! ;)

No No I wasn't properly informed. I didn't know it could affect your heart and your brain. I didn't know it was chemotherapy. I didn't know I was poisoning my acne (and my body as well)

Just a clip off a web-site

There is no reason to even take the risk with Accutane, as the key to eliminating acne is to stop drinking soft drinks and juice and start drinking plenty of pure water instead. It is also necessary to eliminate ALL sugar (even beyond the soft drinks and juice mentioned above) and refined grains. If you're wondering why I give these recommendations, it's because eating refined carbohydrates and sugar leads to a surge of insulin and an insulin-like growth factor called IGF-1 in your body. This can lead to an excess of male hormones, which cause pores in the skin to secrete sebum, a greasy substance that attracts acne-promoting bacteria. Additionally, IGF-1 causes skin cells known as keratinocytes to multiply, a process that is associated with acne.

This strategy works in the majority of people, but some do have naturally elevated testosterone levels, which can promote acne. In this case, non-synthetic vitamin A (the real McCoy -- my favorite is emulsified vitamin A from Biotics Research) is very helpful. It is likely not toxic in pregnancy, but nonetheless should be avoided to be absolutely safe.

To be effective one must use a high dose of 100,000-200,000 IU per day. The dose should not be used for longer than several months, as toxicity could be an issue if taken much longer.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...g-part-one.aspx

My derm said it's really really bad to get pregnant. She said it could cause liver damage, but that I would be monitored closely and if any liver problems occured I could stop the drug and it would be reversed. She said I might have suicidal thoughts. THAT'S IT

:naughty: I'm sorry, but that's NOT EVEN CLOSE to the list of things that can happen to you!

Victory against acne, the pain and suffering associated with it, the reason the majority of people are on this site.

I'd rather regret somthing i did, than have to regret not doing it in the first place

I thought people were here to find another way other than accutane. If you people wanna take the poison, just do it. Why are you here reading about it? Just take it and don't worry about it. This site is a good way to get the word out there that ACCUTANE IS MORE DANGEROUS THEN YOU THINK!!!

And I was a HUGE supported or Accutane when I started on it. It killed the hell out of my acne. In like 2 days. Still clear, and SO NOT WORTH IT.

It's easy to say you'd rather regret then not trying in the first place when nothing bad has happened to you..................

what im saying is, accutane is a risk, personnally i want to take that risk to get my life back, im sorry it backfired on you and it may backfire on me in the future, but if i never took that risk i would still be sat at home miserable about my skin

what im saying is, accutane is a risk, personnally i want to take that risk to get my life back, im sorry it backfired on you and it may backfire on me in the future, but if i never took that risk i would still be sat at home miserable about my skin

Well, good luck. I wish you all the best! :angel:

Isn't all the controversy surrounding Accutane about the POTENTIAL side effects. If you are getting your blood work, basically it's making sure you body isn't having a bad reaction. Im not sure if someone said this already but I just wanted to add that in..

donnatkb:This is what you attached "There is no reason to even take the risk with Accutane, as the key to eliminating acne is to stop drinking soft drinks and juice and start drinking plenty of pure water instead. It is also necessary to eliminate ALL sugar (even beyond the soft drinks and juice mentioned above) and refined grains. If you're wondering why I give these recommendations, it's because eating refined carbohydrates and sugar leads to a surge of insulin and an insulin-like growth factor called IGF-1 in your body. This can lead to an excess of male hormones, which cause pores in the skin to secrete sebum, a greasy substance that attracts acne-promoting bacteria. Additionally, IGF-1 causes skin cells known as keratinocytes to multiply, a process that is associated with acne".

Now, just because increased IGF-1 is associated with Acne, does not show a definitive causal effect of IGF-1 itself, in my mind. Some things might have a causal effect to make the body begin multiplying keratinocytes, triggering IGF-1 off in its processes, so it gets implicated when everything is measured later. Also, sebum is not "a greasy substance that attracts acne-promoting bacteria" I do not believe this to be correct. Sebum is a natural skin oil, and it even is reported to have anti-bacterial effects. It is not excessive sebum that seems to be the problem, it is blockage in the skin / too much sebum all at once. This happens especially during 'puberty' when the oil glands are exascerbated for reasons beyond our current knowledge of accurately determining. The problem (acne) seems to me to be associated with the blockages, due to excessive / hardened oil, which causes plugs and problems. Hardened oil for one may indicate dehydration or excessive exposure to harsh environmental elements, I think. Therefore when the above article suggested drinking "plenty of pure water" this is probably why. Sebum is not the enemy, people that have oily skin do not necessarily get Acne. It is when the oil can not get out of the follicle due to blockages, that rupturing occurs, and strange things happen.

With IGF-1, for example and insulin: Insulin issues / diabetes does more than affect IGF-1, it makes you susceptible (at higher risk) for skin infections, because the immune system is suppressed. Therefore reducing the sugar intake, where too much sugar disrupts the immune system functioning supposedly, gives you a better immune system to ward off bacterial infections. Systemic (bacteria which gets inside you) infections can result in pus and stuff coming out of the skin, because the immune system fights the infection and some of the toxins get excreted through the skin perhaps? I am just saying that if you take a step back from IGF-1, and look at the immune system and how it relates to bacterial infections and skin diseases; you can find out that diabetes / insulin issues suppress the immune system, increasing the likelihood for skin disease / bacterial infection to occur. People with diabetes regularly get more skin infections because of their immune system issues, apparently. But the skin diseases are still bacterial infections.

Accutane probably does not work because it reduces sebum, because sebum is bad, it stops sebum to stop the rupturing, and works this way, partly. It is strong stuff anyway, and nobody can predict exactly how each individual will react so in my mind it is:

Perceivedrisk vs. Perceivedbenefit, and the actual outcome for each individual may differ, when it comes to Accutane. I mean someone might take it and die, seriously, and that might just be their individual reaction. Also, something strong is needed for Acne, that is why many people take Accutane. If you tried a low sugar diet, and all other things such as suggested above, you may not get anywhere with the Acne by these changes alone, and therefore most people resort to the strongest thing they can find, to make sure, and not "waste time". Whatever gets chosen to clear up Acne must be - strong. Unfortunately strong drugs = strong 'side effects'.

I get a little sick of clinical trials sometimes, these are generally relied upon to be unbiased and reliable, but frequently seem to be resulting in confusion and conflicting information. That is why there is so much mis-information around, because all sorts of people have vested interests in twisting things in a certain direction - skewing data et cetera...The issues in the medical world are enough to make you...sick, and sometimes the 'medicines' will make you sick too, it seems. This is a weak, lame sort of joke, but if you want to be well - it looks like moving away from established civilisation and away from the medical profession would get you moving in the right direction - towards health. I do not know if I am serious or not about that last statement, I perhaps think that all sickness is just degeneration due to age and exposure to different things - in combination with a sub-optimal environment for full and rapid healing of damage.

Seeing as no-one can explain exactly what molecular pathways are acted on by 13cRA (Accutane), I find it strange that people wonder why it has so many unknown / bad / dangerous effects. I think it partly works by increasing epidermal retinol levels, and increasing cellular turnover speed, bringing healthy, new skin cells up more rapidly. (Shedding dead skin cells means bacteria get shed off with the dead skin, and do not get as much of a chance to 'colonize' you!), so when Accutane speeds this up, the bacteria start dropping off, and becoming no more a 'colony' on your skin. In people with Acne, it has been said that sluggish cellular turnover is present. It has been hypothesized that this is due to the number of skin cell layers becoming 'thickened' - which would explain the multiplying keratinocytes IGF-1 stimulated. The 'thicker' epidermis means skin cells in number are greater, therefore it takes much longer to replace them all - meaning relatively sluggish cellular turnover. Vitamin A in highly toxic doses speeds this up dramatically - clearing skin lesions quite succesfully it seems. The 'thickened' epidermis seems to be the problem, as the epidermal 'thickening' (greater number of epidermal skin cells) can more easily obstruct the follicles, causing the blockages.

Not to be an asshole or anything, but why do you care to try and prevent some random person that you will never know, from the web, to stop them from taking this drug. I know that sounds kinda harsh but sorry.

I am not sure who you were addressing that response to, but I would hate to be the one that recommends its use, especially if the person it was recommended it to lost their hair or something. Personally, I would not want to be responsible for the ramifications of such a recommendation, just in case. I would not recommend its use, that is all, neither does the topic starter seem to recommend its use either. You asked "why do [we] care"? Well that is a silly question to me. Sometimes Acne comes back after Accutane, and people get very dis-satisfied with it. Given the percentages of what I have heard about Accutane, many people are dis-satisfied with it, and some like it because it actually worked! Maybe the ones who the Accutane worked on, spread around the word that it was great, and then the Acne came back, they were too humiliated and never spoke on the issue again? Maybe they then 'switched camps' and spread the word...?

I don't know how I feel anymore.

I do agree with you, for once (!) acne_is_going. Bad skin makes you feel miserable, but please put yourself in my place now. I have:

- severe all over joint pain

- lack of sexual appetite and problems

- recent flushing/redness - rosacea perhaps??

- a very slow but promiment return of acne

Every day I wake up I feel like I've been in a car crash. Other symptoms like slightly dry eyes, mild IBS and vomitting aren't worth mentioning.

I always said one thing to my girlfriend who I was with for nearly 3 years but I split up with not long ago. If my acne ever comes back, I'm leaving you because I don't want to tread down that road of depression again. Well, my joint pain made me do that instead as I simply couldn't feel good around her, but now my acne is making its way back I seriously doubt I'll be around much longer. I'll make it to my 26th birthday though - that's genuinely how I feel I can't see any way out or treatment when everyone in the medical community can't help me.

I don't get it...really just don't get it. I know a lot of friends of mine that were on accutane and their acne got completly gone away and some of them have a fucking perfect skin. I remember that they only complained about dry lips. why this horrible stories on the internet? i fucking don't get it really.

Maybe thats because in Portugal we take lower dosages but for an adicional month or two. (example: 20mg daily for 8 months) and maybe it has less side effects.

why do some of you take like 80mg daily? thats just fucked up

Why not go all natural folks?? That's what I did and it handled my cystic acne along with another skin condition I had called Pityriasis Rosea. I take a liquid, herbal remedy whenever I notice potential long term breakouts trying to start. It works and it's safe...just passing on good help.

Why not go all natural folks?? That's what I did and it handled my cystic acne along with another skin condition I had called Pityriasis Rosea. I take a liquid, herbal remedy whenever I notice potential long term breakouts trying to start. It works and it's safe...just passing on good help.

because its eaasier just to take some pills :)