Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Senn

Constant pink/red-coloured face

Hi everyone, thanks for viewing my thread.

Like most of us here, I have battled acne since my early teens. I am 22 now, I recently bought my own house, work is heavy and demanding, and life is different to when I was living with my parents! My battle with acne has seemed to turn one problem into another.

At first it was bad on my back and neck and I had break-outs on my face from time to time. From the ages of 13 to 18 I had tried several medications. I was prescribed Accutane but never actually started the treatment. I think just through growing up and improvements in my diet, my acne faded naturally. That was all good until I developed eczema and very red-raw dermatitis on my face, neck and scalp. It started out as just a few blotches under my eyes, but it grew and grew until both cheeks were full of it, my top lip suffered, my chin got it and my forehead was covered with it. I tried several creams and prescribed emollients, but with little effect. My doctor even told me to use ketoconazole shampoo on my face. It seemed the only thing that would help it would be to live off fruit and veg and water!

I went on holiday to Greece a few years ago, and used this Nivea after-sun lotion, and surprise surprise, it cleared up my eczema rather well, and I still use it today. So, my acne kinda cleared up on its own, and my eczema is kept under control by this Nivea moisturiser I'm using, but I've slowly developed this redness on all my face.

First I noticed it on my cheeks and it has very slowly spread to all over my face. The only white bits of "normal" skin left are directly round my eyes. I look like a panda! And it stops exactly on my jaw bones. It is not red like eczema-red, it is more of a gentle red, like a pinkish colour. My face has a rather dry but oily feel to it and it is rough to the touch. I shed a lot of skin - I am always seeing flakes stuck to the side of my nose and if I rub my lips, my top lip flakes a lot. My cheeks are bad for flaking - I can gently slide my nail down my cheek and I pull off lots of skin.

I just don't know what it is. I've been to my doctor and he has prescribed me minocycline. After doing research on this product I don't think I need it, as it is a treatment for acne. Yes it keeps acne break-outs at a minimum (but so does a healthy diet in my opinion), but I don't think my doctor really understood what my problem was. After reading some posts on here, minocycline seems to worsen this red flushing of the face. I've been on minocycline for about 6 months now. The redness comes and goes but I don't think it has improved or got worse.

I just feel like I'm in a deep hole with no ladders to get out. I do try and forget about it because sometimes it isn't that bad, but sometimes I can catch myself in the mirror and I think "Geeze" because the front of my neck (throat) is white, then it's red from my chin upwards, with two white patches where my eyes are. I think I look so stupid lol.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Do any of your lotions contain spf? I ask because the sunscreen ingredient Avobenzone turns my face red.

Hi - thanks for your reply. No, none of my lotions contain SPF.

Senn

Could it be the sun itself? That is what I think it is, because my eye sockets are very white as well, so is behind my ears (in the exact shape of my ear). The sun (from a high angle in the sky) obviously does not penetrate into the eye-socket area much when you are just undertaking normal activites? What do you think? I think the sun can cause pinking / redenning of the face for sure.

Could it be the sun itself? That is what I think it is, because my eye sockets are very white as well, so is behind my ears (in the exact shape of my ear). The sun (from a high angle in the sky) obviously does not penetrate into the eye-socket area much when you are just undertaking normal activites? What do you think? I think the sun can cause pinking / redenning of the face for sure.

Hi, thanks for your response. I am leaning towards saying no to your question. The reason being, the UK is not a particularly sunny country anymore, and my redness has been like this for a good year or two (through the seasons). Also, the back of neck would be in view of the sunlight but this area is "normal" colour.

Alright, well I did read that UK / Europe recently recorded some higher than normal UV levels, due to stratospheric ozone depletion, and temperature is not directly related to UV intensity.

There are things which can make your skin red such as:

1) UV combining with pollutants at ground level to create ozone, which inflames the lungs, and probably harms the skin

2) Air pollutants can cause skin redenning, such as those which are emitted by car exhausts

3) Chemicals in face washes, cleansers and things like that also can make your skin red, and if you were careful around applying these around the eye area, then perhaps this explains it.

Skin stays red / pink for a while after you get UV damage, once you get older anyway, because it takes such a long time to heal up. However, I am in Australia, a sunny place, so it might not be as much of an issue for you in the UK, as it is for me. Hopefully you find out the cause anyway. Since you said that you developed eczema and all of this, it sounds like your skin barrier is somehow compromised and you keep getting bacterial infections. When the immune system attacks bacteria, you can get inflammation, and perhaps skin reddening? I would predict (and I am not necessarily right) that something you used, perhaps a harsh facial "cleanser" or some other product, compromised / damaged the skin barrier function, perhaps in combination with some very mild UVA damage, to allow bacteria to penetrate into the skin, where the barrier is damaged, causing inflammation and bacterial infections, or, something along these lines.

Well thankyou very much for the response, xquis3t, I appreciate it. I'll certainly research into the points you raised.

Does anyone think a course of enemas would help?

Senn

Hi

I was amazed when i read the your stmptoms because they are the exact same as mine. My face is completely pink. my face was once tanned but then i had severe acne for the last 4 years. I had a huge amount of pustules that i used to squeeze daily.....i know it sounds disgusting but i think thats what lead to the pinkness. The funny thing is it stops at the jaw line. my neck and everywhere else is a healthy tanned colour( im from ireland so i have the same weather). there is a huge amount of dead skin. It all comes off when is shower. And like you my skin is very rough and oily to touch esp. on forehead,nose and cheeks. i can literall ywipe th oil off with a cloth!Even when i smile my face gets way reader!

anyway what has helped you with your problem?

for me it is a healthy diet and never touching my skin. i have no other ideas.!

I get very jealous when i see people with less brown arms than mine and a normal coloured face...i should have a tanned face!

i have given up on topical treatments!! have you researched intense pulsed light treatment?? let me know what yo think of it!

If you ever think you have found a solution please share it with me and i will do likewise!

Hey,

If what you say is true, then I am most confident that what you have is Seborrheic dermatitis. It is a chronic skin condition which causes the skin to be red and inflamed, and shed excessive amounts of skin. It is actually caused by a yeast, specifically called mallezia sp., which grows out of control due to over producing oil glands. The redness you experience is from the irritation and inflamation that is caused by the yeast feeding off the oil. Its a tough skin issue, but with the right treatment, you can find an answer.

I was searching the net for clues to my own skin problem when I found this thread! I am a 40 year old man and have had this very same redness of the face with the white panda eyes for about 20 years. I was diagnosed with rosacea but the treatments never worked so I gave up for years...

Anyway, I just wanted to share some websites with you because what you have sounds exactly like what I have: Seborrheic Dermatitis on your face. I've seen pictures on the internet (lost the link, typical!) and it is exactly what I have.

Anyway, try reading these links (the first one is where I found out I had Seborrheic Dermatitis).

I also heard some people report that Neutrogena T/Gel Extra Strength Shampoo and eating food with vitamin b helps.

Good luck!

i now see i cannot post links to websites. sorry.

Take a anti-histamine a couple times a day and it will clear up most of the redness.

halfpipe

I don't think it's quite that easy.. although I have heard anti-histamines help with flushing alittle bit.

Senn, Do you find that there are certain "triggers" that will cause your face to become more red than normal(hot/cold weather, sugar, etc)? It sounds like you could have a form of rosacea, although it is always hard to be sure. Here is a pretty good message board for rosacea if you have any questions.. or just want to read up about it. Best of luck!

Many thanks for the responses.

No I have not tried anti-histamines.

Maverick, yes, diet has some effect. If I had a bad few weeks (alcohol, fatty foods, sugary foods) then it does seem to get worse. However, when I am very strict and eat a good varied diet including lots of water, fruit and vegetables, it does get better but never disappears completely.

I will look at the forum you suggested.

Thanks,

Senn

Hey, I have the same issue as you do. My face has the redness while the rest of me is just fine. Again as with you, I have had it for years and can't figure out how to combat it. I keep trying to see if it is one of my topical products but can't figure it out.

One thing that does help is trying to keep your skin well moisturized and being extremely gentle with the skin. Even doing these has only reduced it and not removed it.

I just wanted to mention that even though you're in a more overcast/cloudy country like the UK, ultraviolet rays go right through clouds unless they are extremely thick (like the mile high thunderclouds) so I would suggest wearing a fragrance free, hypoallergenic SPF15 sunscreen every day on your face. UV ray exposure could indeed be more of an issue than you realize.

One product I found very good is a daily SPF15 moisturizer by a company over there in the UK called "Beauty Without Cruelty". I get it at my local vegan variety store here in Canada, but noticed it's manufactured over there. It makes my skin soft without the unwanted shine often caused by pure sunscreens.

Hi all.

Just wanted to bump this thread. I've been on tetralysal / lymecycline 408 for about three months. Works well actually. But I've got to keep up a healthy diet (no sugar, no fat, no greasey foods, no spicey food, no caffeine) then it works even better.

But the general pink / red appearance of my face is still bothering me. It isn't so much flushing like embarrassment, it's completely constant. It's always there.

Any ideas?

Senn

Hi! I'm a 17 year old male and I'm bothered with pink skin that turns red when I play basketball (ruins my concentration).

The thing is my that my face is pink and that's way to prominent because my throat is kind of white.... Annoying and as I see it there are two main causes for my redness.

1. Acne treatment (BP ) I used to take antibiotics but that gave me heartburns when exercising.

2. Cleanser,, ( Avene Soapless gel cleanser, oily blemish-prone skin) it worked for a while but it gradually turned my face color to the color of a pig.

I'm gonna stop with the cleanser today.

However since my acne is very active, I want to keep using the BP.

However my advice is honey masks. At least that's what I'm gonna try now..

Just a quick update.

Things aren't going too badly. But what has really helped is a massive cut down in alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat, processed/refined foods, red meat and fizzy drinks.

They all seem to make the redness worse. Plenty of water, fresh fruit and vegetables and exercise helps. Just give it time.

Senn