Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hopingitworks

After 7 years of acne... it's finally almost OVER!!!

Hi everyone. First off IM SO EXCITED TO FINALLY GO ON ACCUTANE!! Of course I just got perscribed it today so my first pill wont be for about a month, but, its finally happening! :dance:

A little fill in from the past to current. I got acne when I was 12 (sucks right). In the past 7 years I've been on everything imaginable, including but by no means limited to: ProActive, Murad, Minociclyne, Tetracylene, Doxycycline, Bactrim DS, DKR, diet changes, most commercial acne cleansers/treatments, and some of the not-so-convential acne.org "fad" cures. The only thing that really worked was Bactrim. I was on it for a year with fantasic results, but about a month and a half ago I came off it and low and behold acne returned. I'm also currently still on DKR, which I think helps, but for the past year and half I've been too scared to come off it and see. :confused:

My acne is very very mild while I'm on antibiotics (well Bactrim at least), however, it transfers to "good end" of moderate when I go off them, and when I last stopped topicals (2 years ago) it went to the "bad end" of moderate. My acne consists of whiteheads, blackheads, nodules, and at least 1 cyst per 3 weeks. My red marks always last forever. I'm just so done with treatments! So since I obviously can't stay on Bactrim for the rest of my life, I've decided to end it for good.

Until I can actually take Accutane (and maybe for the first month or two of it) I'm going to be taking Erythromycin to control my breakouts? Anyout out there on that antibiotic while on Accutane? I'd love to hear from you!

Thats about it for now! Wish me luck!

Hi Hopingitworks,

First off..welcome to the club, I'm on day 10 of accutane and it's definitely an experience! but yes I was on Doryx for 1 month along with Finacea and it helped to clear my face before the tane treatment (I also heard it helps keep you IB from being too bad). I discontinued the antibiotics the very day I started tane, so you may want to just check with your derm on that one.

Hi yvette4944, thanks! I am so thrilled to be a part of the club... well almost!

Ok so I'm going to get my bloodwork tomorrow, wish me luck! Quick question though. After I get bloodwork #1 done the derm said I have to wait a month then get bloodwork #2 done, then start Accutane. But, if I'm not going on birth control (abstinent) do I still have to wait 1 month? I though waiting was only for those going on birth control?

Thanks in advance.

Oh and so far the Erythromycin hasn't kicked in. Probably because my first pill was yesterday, but in 4 weeks I'm hoping to be mostly clear of actives :pray:

Hi yvette4944, thanks! I am so thrilled to be a part of the club... well almost!

Ok so I'm going to get my bloodwork tomorrow, wish me luck! Quick question though. After I get bloodwork #1 done the derm said I have to wait a month then get bloodwork #2 done, then start Accutane. But, if I'm not going on birth control (abstinent) do I still have to wait 1 month? I though waiting was only for those going on birth control?

Thanks in advance.

Oh and so far the Erythromycin hasn't kicked in. Probably because my first pill was yesterday, but in 4 weeks I'm hoping to be mostly clear of actives :pray:

I'll jump in to answer this one. They will still make you wait, even if abstinence is one of your methods. I think the wait is so they can totally confirm that you are not pregnant.

(For those that may have been sexually active the day of or shortly before the first blood test.)

IPledge is super strict and seems to assume that any female "of child bearing age" is active even if they are not.

Good luck with your accutane! I am on it too and it has already completely cleared my skin, it REALLY amazing! :)

Hi WednesdayM. Thanks so much for the info. I just called my derm to confirm everything and he basically told me the same thing you did, haha.

Thanks so much Kris! I'm very very excited to be going on Accutane. Bring on the chapped lips! lol

Ok so just a little update. I'm going to be taking my first Accutane pill on December 3, 2008. :dance: YAY! So far my acne has been getting progressivly worse, still moderate though. Ugh I hate it. To go from being *mostly* clear to having acne return seemingly without missing a beat, is just really stinky, you know? Oh well, I'm dealing with it much better than I did pre-Bactrim. I've decided to not let it effect my social life or relationships (make-up definately helps me stick to that decision lol). Anywho, I've been on my antibiotic for 8 days now I think, something like that, and so far nothing, but I'm not expecting any results for another 2-3 weeks.

OH problem! So, I'm going on vacation with my boyfriend's family for Christmas. How awful will my skin be? I know the first month or two are supposed to be breakout-city, but is there any chance that with the antibiotic and a good dose of Prednisone I could look decent? Don't be afraid to lay it on me here, I want honesty, because from what I've heard the first month is not so great.

Thanks a bunch to all who read and/or reply!

Yay! Today marks exactly one month until Accutane! I do have a couple of questions though.

1. How long does it take to see a reduction in oil? 30 minutes to 1 hour after applying make up my face looks like I washed it with cooking oil... not something I love lol. I'm greatly looking forward to that not happening!

2. How long does it take for blackheads to fall out? My nose is full of them and I can't stand it!

And thats about it.

Thanks so much in advance!

Hopingit works,

It took about a week for me to really notice the drying of my face and my skin sounds just like yours, I was constantly doing spot checks for oil whenever I went out, so this is really different for me. I apply makeup just once a day and I never get oily anymore, I actually use moisturizer now, which was once unheard of. As far as the blackheads go, this is something I need an answer to also, because I currently have about five that have not fallen out and they surfaced about a week ago.

yvette4944,

Hi, thanks so much for your info. One week is really good! I can't wait to start! Good luck on your treatment, I'm sure it'll clear you up :)

Ok so update! My skin seems to be getting a tinsey bit better *knock on wood*! I've been on my antibiotic for about three weeks now so I'm really hoping the minor improvement is from those, which would mean major improvement in about 2 weeks. Still, the time can not pass quickly enough... 24 more days until Accutane :( Oh well, when I really think about it my little "friends" have been around for 7 years, surely I can wait 24 more days. lol.

Ok side note! I'm looking to transfer colleges next year and my new college (assuming of course that I get accepted *crosses fingers*) is a tad more expensive. My parents are paying for it, but of course I want to alleviate as much of the finacial burden as I can. Does anyone know of any good scholarship websites.

Thanks!

Hi again. Ok so tomorrow I get to take my first pill! I'll definately be here to update everyone on my progress at least once a week. Alright on to my skin. It is SO much worse since my last update. The antibiotic wasn't helping and for the past 2 weeks has been causing really bad abdominal pain and tension, so I've stopped taking them. It is very safe to say I'm now on the "bad" end of moderate. My entire chin area (about one and a half inches out in either direction from the centermost point on my chin) is covered in acne and red marks. Some of them come to heads after a couple days, others just sit and annoy the crap out of me. For the past week, that area has been in pain (when smiling too big, eating a big sandwhich, ect) and throbs when touched or bumped with my hand. My forehead got bad about a week ago and since then has miraculously seemed to heal itself. The sides of my face by ears break out into about 2-4 spots at a time, and my upper lip is also starting to break out a little. Small (but many) blackheads on my nose and chin as always.

I can not wait for this to be over! On the plus side of life... I got a new job which I'm loving! My perfectly clear skinned boyfriend continues to amaze me with his ability to look past my imperfections (especially since for the majority of our relationship I've been clear). My family is great. I'm transfering colleges next semester, and I'm really excited! So overall life is going good, now I just need to make it a tinsy bit better by clearing my skin!

Day 3

So far so good. My skin has continued to get worse so that part stinks, but no side effects yet so :dance:. My lips feel a tad bit chapped, but they always do so I don't really think thats the Accutane. My skin hasn't dried yet, although I do apply moisturizer after washing. Other than that theres not much to report.

One question though I'm actually taking Soret, which I believe is the generic for Accutane. Is there any quality difference between the generic and name brands?

Thanks for tunning in!

hopingitworks-i am on sotret and i have been told the generic and brand name drugs are the same (one is just ridiculously more expensive than the other). I have been on sotret for about five months and it's working like a charm! Stick with the sotret :)

I'm certain you'll have the best of results with your tane course! It gets tough at times, but the more time that passes the better your life'll get! Godspeed.

Thanks for info and support! I'm definatley prepared for the "it'll get worse, before its gets better" mantra.

Day 6 (almost a week!)

Ok, so now I'm starting to experience some side effects. My lips are getting chapped and look more red than usual. My skin has also started to dry out a bit, just where acne is though, not all over. Oil production seems to be less as I don't have to repowder myself every two hours anymore :dance: . My acne seems to be about the same as far as its severity goes (still moderate). It feels very angry though: its like a sore, throbbing pain. Not enough a terrible pain, more like a deep, constant, "barely there unless I think about it" pain.

I'm currently on 40mg once daily.

That's all for now!

I started roaccutane on november 29th...we're a few days apart. I'm on low dose (20mg a day) and I experience the same side effects. I also have moderate acne.

Hope it works...I see no improvement on my face as far as spots are concerned...

Day 10

Perrine: Its good to know that there are others out there going through this with me! I hope we both get awesome results (soon!). Good Luck with your treatment!!

Alright, well the "throbbing" feeling I explained before has subsided a little bit which is great! Unfortunately itchy skin has replaced it... not so great lol. Other than that and of course chapped lips, there's no other side effects. My spots all seem to be drying up, but I am by no means clear yet.

Off topic, I'm coming down with a cold which sucks. Its not related to the Sotret at all (I caught it from my boyfriend :doh: ). And I have a vacation coming up for Christmas. My derm is really good about giving me Prednisone when I need/ask for it (so long as I dont ask for it every month obviously) but is that something I would be able to take while I'm on Sotret? I'd really like to be able to take it before my vacation!

Thanks in advance!

Day 10

Perrine: Its good to know that there are others out there going through this with me! I hope we both get awesome results (soon!). Good Luck with your treatment!!

Alright, well the "throbbing" feeling I explained before has subsided a little bit which is great! Unfortunately itchy skin has replaced it... not so great lol. Other than that and of course chapped lips, there's no other side effects. My spots all seem to be drying up, but I am by no means clear yet.

Off topic, I'm coming down with a cold which sucks. Its not related to the Sotret at all (I caught it from my boyfriend :doh: ). And I have a vacation coming up for Christmas. My derm is really good about giving me Prednisone when I need/ask for it (so long as I dont ask for it every month obviously) but is that something I would be able to take while I'm on Sotret? I'd really like to be able to take it before my vacation!

Thanks in advance!

I'm not exactly sure on the approved list of medications. I know that I have taken some Ibuprofen and I was just fine. If you're not sure, then call your dermatologist or pharmacist, and they will tell you all about the medication you can take..

Good luck! I'll be reading your log from time to time. :)

if i were to write a log as indepth as you, it would be identical to yours. well, except for the whole boyfriend thing, lol. (140lb/m) it's really strange.

same skin type, breakout pattern, and start date. im on 20mg though. good luck! i've been drinking water like crazy. it just seems to make me feel better. i took nyquil for a cold a few days ago and forgot that it has some sort of alcohol in it to make you fall asleep. i quit taking that but its no big deal. i try not to take any supplements or medications that could interact or put more stress on my already-punished liver, lol.

Thanks Kimoko! I'll be checking out yours as well.

Focal eccentric I've also been taking Dayquil and Nyquil... nothings gone bad so far and I read on Medscape somewhere that it should be fine to take them together. I've also been loading up on the Vit C! And I know what you mean I'm definately paying a ton more attention to the suppliments/medications/(even foods!) that I'm putting into my body! Hopefully we both get good results soon!!

Update

Ok quick update: (by the way I'm 110lbs, on 40mg/day)

Well I pretty much feel like a craphole right now lol. My cold is getting worse (sneezing, coughing, headache, the whole shawbam!). On top of that my lips are getting more chapped (thank the lord for Aquaphor!). My back/chest also hurts when I first lie down, its really wierd. Luckily my skin is no longer throbby or itchy. My spots all seem to be getting smaller (knock on wood!). But the big update of the day... I got my first nosebleed! :mad: You want to hear the story its a good one.

Ok so I was at the mall shopping with my boyfriend. I was sneezing and blowing my nose like crazy (and carrying around a box of tissue in my purse lol). So out of nowhere I start to taste blood and two seconds later my nose turned into a small stream! Then of course we didn't know where the bathroom was so we had to walk all around the entire store trying to track it down and when we finally found it I spent a good ten minutes in there trying to make it stop!!! :wall: Then when it finally stopped, I kept needing to sneeze and blow my nose (gotta love colds) but I was scared that if I did my bleeding would start right back up again. So I walked around stuffy, runny, and gross. Its definately a good thing I told my boyfriend I was taking Accutane and its possible side effects beforehand lol.

Haha I guess it wasn't just a quick update. Sorry for the novel! Until next time!

Day 14 (two weeks!)

Hey everyone! I'm doing much better today. :dance: My cold is on its way out!!! My nosebleeds have yet to reappear. Dry lips continue to be a problem, but so long as I keep a layer of Aquaphor or Burts Bees on them, they stay nice and soft! The weird back pain I got when I laid down has almost completely gone away, and Dan's moisturizer is keeping my face soft and supple.

Now if only I could get rid of the ACNE!!

I'm calling my derm tomorrow to ask about the prednisone(sp?) for my vacation. So cross your fingers for me on that one.

Thanks for reading!

Yay! Today marks exactly one month until Accutane! I do have a couple of questions though.

1. How long does it take to see a reduction in oil? 30 minutes to 1 hour after applying make up my face looks like I washed it with cooking oil... not something I love lol. I'm greatly looking forward to that not happening!

2. How long does it take for blackheads to fall out? My nose is full of them and I can't stand it!

And thats about it.

Thanks so much in advance!

It takes about a week and you'll start to notice some chapping of the lips...then soon after your face dries up and I mean dries up. It's crazy, because after going from having an oil slick of a face it's weird to have like no oil glands at all. I use totally different products...Moisterizer is a must now, where as I never wore it before. Now instead of looking for products to soak up oil, I am looking for some to put it back in. It's really crazy, but awesome to not have to worry about blotting my face all day to get rid of the shiny skin. Your makeup will look great all day. Just got to get past the possible initial break-out--it was/and still kind of is a rough one. Some people don't have an IB though. Good Luck!

Day 17

Hi all. Well theres not too much to report. Lips are doing fine so long as they are coated in Aquaphor/Burts Bees as I mentioned earlier. Skin isn't drying out too much, nothing moisturizer can't fix! Other than that I can't really tell if my skin is getting better. The acne is less inflamed, but as far as the number of active spots I have I don't think its changed at all. However, I know Accutane usually takes a couple months to clear skin up so I'm not worried at all.

I am nervous though! I leave for vacation with my boyfriend and his family in 4 (or 5?) days now! AHHHHH! My boyfriend has never seen me make-up-less when my skin has been this bad before, and his family (immediate or extended) have not seen without it and NEVER EVER will! So I'm still trying to figure out how all of that will work out :wacko:Pray pray pray that the derm will agree to perscribe me Prednisone just for the trip!

Thanks and until next time, have a lovely day!

Day 26 (3 1/2 weeks)

Hey! I know your all dying to know how my vacation went so I'll relieve your anticipation now! It went wonderfully :dance: I had a ton of fun (way more than I thought I would haha).

The only downside was I had to share a room, which meant I had to sleep with my make up on for 4 nights. Yuk! And if it couldn't get worse than that, I forgot my moisturizer and had to use one I had never used before. Oh yes, my skin is angry at me.

Fortunately, the prednisone worked its magic and my skin actually looks better than when I left! Go figure right :rolleyes:

Ok speaking of my skin its doing alright. I haven't really got a bad IB but my skin was moderate to begin with so I'm very happy that I didn't! OH FUN! So I know that when your on Acctuane your blackheads "fall" out. Well mine did! I took a shower and started squeezing on my nose (as is custom for me) and all of them came out with just the slightest pressure! My nose has NEVER EVER been this blackhead free! IM SO EXCITED! :D

Hope you all had a very merry Christmas and have a fantastic New Years!!!

Good luck on your course!! I hope you have amazing results.

I got your message on my board and thought I'd come over and say hi!

So...

Hi!

Aren't guys funny like that? I have yet to understand them, maybe one day it will happen.

Glad to hear your vacation went well.