Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
donnatkb

ACCUTANE CAN SERIOUSLY JACK YOU UP

we'll im just gonna ask, why would you take the drug if you know of the very serious side effects? as you said, they tell you they have side effects, it's your risk to take the drug if you please. Now you can't blame the fact that you got these side effects on someone else. As you said it clearly states on the box, (im reading them right now) that is has the side effects. It is no one elses decision to take the drug but yours, even though you know of the side effects.

HEEELP PLEASE. I HAD ROACUTTANE WHEN 13 OR 14, THEN A 2ND COURSE WHEN 16 YRS OLD, AND NOW THAT I AM 30 YRS OLD AND WITH CYSTIC-NODULAR ACNE, CALLED BY THE DERM "SEVERE", I AM OR WAS STARTED INTO THE 3RD COURSE A MONTH AGO: WHAT HAPPENED: AROUND THE 3RD WEEK OF 20 MG TWICE DAILY (I'M 52 KILOGRAMS AND 169 CM'S TALL) I STARTED TO FEEL WEIRD AND IN NOV 22nd I THOUGHT "I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE" ... I WAS SO DEPRESSED FOR NO REASON!! ALSO STRESSED AND ANXIOUS FOR NO APPARENT REASON. BESIDES AN UPPER BACK STRONG TENSION THAT STARTED AT THE SAME TIME AS OTHER SYMPTOMS. I E-MAILED THE DERM THAT NIGHT AND DIDN'T TAKE THAT NIGHT'S CAPSULE AND NEITHER THE NEXT DAY'S MORNING DOSSAGE. ONLY AFTER INSISTING ON THE PHONE WITH HIS ASSISTANT AS SHE SAID HE WAS DOING A SURGERY ALL MORNING, I GOT AN ANSWER AT 3 PM: SHE SAID HE SAID IT WAS ALL-RIGHT THAT I STOPPED TAKING IT, SAID TO KEEP NOT TAKING IT FOR 5 TO 6 DAYS AND THEN START TAKING HALF THE DOSSAGE I WAS TAKING, SO THAT IS 20 MG ONCE A DAY.

I DON'T REMEMBER AT ALL IF WHEN I HAD 1st AND 2ND COURSES IT HAD SIDE EFFECTS ON ME ... SINCE I WAS LIVING AT MY MOTHER'S HOUSE WHO WAS ALWAYS INDIFFERENT, NON-CARING, MEAN, SLAPPED ME HARD ON THE FACE SINCE I WAS VERY YOUNG EVERY TIME SHE FELT STRESSED I THINK, AND I COULDN'T ARGUE ABOUT ANYTHING, PLUS SHE GROUNDED ME SOOOO SO MUCH. I WAS THE MOST LOVING CHILD A MOTHER COULD HAVE, EVEN FRIENDS TOLD HER. MY LIFE WITH HER WAS OF SO MUCH PAIN I CAN'T DESCRIBE SO MAYBE ROACUTTAN EFFECTS WERE CAMOUFLAGED WITH MY DAILY LIFE OF SOLITUDENESS. NO BROTHERS OR SISTERS, WAS JUST DEPENDING ON THIS WOMAN WHO DIDN'T WANT TO BE A MOTHER.

NOW, ALL OF THAT OVERCOMED, TODAY I AM JUST TRYING TO PREVENT DISASTERS IN MY LIFE ... TO GET INTO TROUBLE IS JUST A "LUXURY" I CAN'T HAVE. PLUS, I HAVE NO INTENTIONS OF RUINING MY BEAUTIFUL LIFE: I HAVE A SUPER HEALTHY LIFE WITH VERY GOOD FRIENDS AND AN EXCELLENT BOYFRIEND. I KNOW VERY WELL I AM QUITE ATTRACTIVE, HAVE BEEN A MODEL AND ALL ... BUT THIS ACNE ... IS THE ONLY REASON I AM RISKING IT: TODAY I STARTED THE 20 MG PER DAY THE DOC HAD SAID FOR ME TO AFTER 5-6 DAYS OF NOTHING.

TODAY I STILL WASN'T FEELING 100% LIVELY, ENERGETIC AND FUN WHEN I STARTED WITH HALF THE DOSSAGE ...

I AM WORRIED. DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANY MORE. I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT IF ANY TIME IN MY LIFE I HAD CANCER I WOULD NEVER EVER GO FOR CHEMOTHERAPY BUT FOR THE NATURAL CURE ... AND NOW, WITHOUT KNOWING IT, I WAS AND AM TAKING A DRUG FOR CHEMOTHERAPY USE?!! OR IS THAT BULLSHIT? ..OR DID I UNDERSTAND IT ALL WRONG? HEL PLEEEEAAAASEEEE.

MY FACE IS SO BEAUTIFUL WITHOUT THE ROUND RED HURTING THINGS UNDER MY SKIN. I WANTED SO MUCH TO CONTINUE BEING A MODEL, THAT I'M ANGRY NOT TO DO WHAT I MOST LOVED AND WITH WHAT I HAD THE MOST FUN, DIDN'T EVEN FEEL LIKE WORK (YOU KNOW HOW IT IS WHEN IT'S YOUR VOCATION). AND I AM ANGRY FOR ALL THE TIME I USED TO LOOK THE "THINGS" IN MY SKIN UP IN THE MIRROR AND ALL OF THE GOLD TIME USED TO PICK!! NEVER AGAIN, AT LEAST THAT IS IN CONTROL NOW. BEFORE, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT PICKING AS I DID HAD SO MUCH TO DO WITH OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE BEHAVIOR ETC ETC. AND NEITHER THAT IT PERPETUATES THE ACNE: EACH TIME YOU CAN HAVE MORE AND MORE.

I SUPPOSE IF I HAD A MOTHER RIGHT NOW SHE WOULD TELL ME "BEFORE WE KNOW FOR SURE THAT ROACUTTAN DOES NOT DO HARM, TODAY NOR IN THE FUTURE, KEEP AWAY FROM IT, AND ONLY WHEN WE ARE SURE IT'S NOT HARMFULL AS WE ARE READING ABOUT, YOU CAN TAKE IT SAFELY"

I HATE CONFUSION, AND I AM CONFUSED RIGHT NOW. DON'T KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF CONCERNING THIS POINT. FOR YEARS HAVE DONE BLOOD AND TYROID TESTS: EVERYTHING JUST FINE. I AM ALSO TAKING THE PILL AND WORKED FOR THE ACNE UP TO 5 MONTHS AND THEN.... BAAAAAM, HUGE PAINFULL CYSTIC ACNE FLARE... AND THAT'S WHEN I DESPERATELY WENT TO ASK FOR A REFERRAL TO GO TO A DERMATOLOGIST AND WENT THE SAME DAY. AND STARTED TAKING THE ROACUTTAN CAPSULE RIGHT THE NEXT DAY AFTER I PICKED IT UP.

I DON'T WANT TO RUIN MY LIFE.

BUT ON THE OTHER SIDE THERE ARE SO MANY INTERESTS MADE UP OUT THERE, MONEY IN BETWEEN, THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE ANYMORE! AND WE'RE NOT EVEN DOCTORS OR SCIENTISTS!! SAME BIG DEAL IS GOING AROUND SOY. IT'S MONEY MOVING THE WORLD, THE INTERESTS, THE INFORMATION PUBLIC CAN GET HOLD ON TO.

FUC..·%$%$·

I DON'T FEEL WELL.

I'M GOT TO THE POINT OF PUTTING THINGS ON A BALANCE TO DECIDE: WHICH WILL HURT MORE¿?..: THE POSSIBLE TREMENDOUS SIDE-EFFECTS OR THE DISFIGURATING, SELF-ESTEEM KILLING ACNE JUST IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE, WHICH EVEN HURTS WHEN YOU TOUCH IT BY ACCIDENT VERY SOFTLY.

I'M READING ALL SORTS OF THINGS ABOUT NATURAL AND ORGANIC PRODUCTS ... DO YOU REALLY THINK IT CAN BE FROM THE LIVER? SHOULDN'T I HAVE OTHER SYMPTOMS AS WELL?

I AM IN DUBAI SINCE 7 MONTHS AGO AND I'M GOING FOR A LONG VISIT BACK TO MY COUNTRY TO MY BOYFRIEND WITH WHOM I LIVE WITH THERE, IT'S ONLY MY 2ND VISIT.. AND I WOULDN'T WANT TO BE ALL CHEMICALLY DEPRESSED BECAUSE OF ROACUTTAN ... ¿OR HAS IT NOTHING TO DO AND IT JUST HELPED UNMASKED A UNVEILED STRONG INNER DEPRESSION OF MINE?

I WANT TO FEEL AS I USED TO. I ALSO REMEMBER, RIIIGHT AT THE START OF TAKING ROACUTTANE MY IMMUNE SYSTEM WENT SHIT, STARTED COUGHING, HAD SOME SORT OF SHORT FLU. AND THE THING IS THAT IT IS SO WEIRD FOR ME TO HAVE: I NEVER EVER HAVE FLU'S CAUSE I TAKE A SHAKE SUPPLEMENT SINCE YEARS AGO WHICH HAS BUILT UP THE BEST OF IMMUNE SYSTEMS. I CAN EVEN HANG WITH PEOPLE WITH FLU.

MANY SAY IT WAS A DEPRESSION THAT THE PERSON ALREADY HAD... IT'S JUST SO MUCH OF A COINCIDENCE, PLUS I PROMISE, IT FELT SO CHEMICAL, IT FELT SO MUCH THAT IS WAS THE ROACUTTANE DOING IT ... SHOULD I CONTINUE ON NOW WITH THAT DERM RECOMMENDED HALF DOSE?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, I went to bed with my mind made up that I was going to go see my GP (doctor) next week to ask for accutane, but you people are seriously scaring me. I didn't know accutane was also used for Chemotherapy. :( Damn, why does Accutane seem to have every side effect known to man kind. If I don't do that then what have I got left. Live with this shit for the rest of my life on my face. :( I guess the saying nothing comes for free is truly true. "you've wanted clear skin forever, great you can have it, but then the cost is you must compromise your health..which could be fine losts of people live to their 90's with some kind of disease..." doesn't sound very good to me. :(

HEEELP PLEASE. I HAD ROACUTTANE WHEN 13 OR 14, THEN A 2ND COURSE WHEN 16 YRS OLD, AND NOW THAT I AM 30 YRS OLD AND WITH CYSTIC-NODULAR ACNE, CALLED BY THE DERM "SEVERE", I AM OR WAS STARTED INTO THE 3RD COURSE A MONTH AGO: WHAT HAPPENED: AROUND THE 3RD WEEK OF 20 MG TWICE DAILY (I'M 52 KILOGRAMS AND 169 CM'S TALL) I STARTED TO FEEL WEIRD AND IN NOV 22nd I THOUGHT "I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE" ... I WAS SO DEPRESSED FOR NO REASON!! ALSO STRESSED AND ANXIOUS FOR NO APPARENT REASON. BESIDES AN UPPER BACK STRONG TENSION THAT STARTED AT THE SAME TIME AS OTHER SYMPTOMS. I E-MAILED THE DERM THAT NIGHT AND DIDN'T TAKE THAT NIGHT'S CAPSULE AND NEITHER THE NEXT DAY'S MORNING DOSSAGE. ONLY AFTER INSISTING ON THE PHONE WITH HIS ASSISTANT AS SHE SAID HE WAS DOING A SURGERY ALL MORNING, I GOT AN ANSWER AT 3 PM: SHE SAID HE SAID IT WAS ALL-RIGHT THAT I STOPPED TAKING IT, SAID TO KEEP NOT TAKING IT FOR 5 TO 6 DAYS AND THEN START TAKING HALF THE DOSSAGE I WAS TAKING, SO THAT IS 20 MG ONCE A DAY.

I DON'T REMEMBER AT ALL IF WHEN I HAD 1st AND 2ND COURSES IT HAD SIDE EFFECTS ON ME ... SINCE I WAS LIVING AT MY MOTHER'S HOUSE WHO WAS ALWAYS INDIFFERENT, NON-CARING, MEAN, SLAPPED ME HARD ON THE FACE SINCE I WAS VERY YOUNG EVERY TIME SHE FELT STRESSED I THINK, AND I COULDN'T ARGUE ABOUT ANYTHING, PLUS SHE GROUNDED ME SOOOO SO MUCH. I WAS THE MOST LOVING CHILD A MOTHER COULD HAVE, EVEN FRIENDS TOLD HER. MY LIFE WITH HER WAS OF SO MUCH PAIN I CAN'T DESCRIBE SO MAYBE ROACUTTAN EFFECTS WERE CAMOUFLAGED WITH MY DAILY LIFE OF SOLITUDENESS. NO BROTHERS OR SISTERS, WAS JUST DEPENDING ON THIS WOMAN WHO DIDN'T WANT TO BE A MOTHER.

NOW, ALL OF THAT OVERCOMED, TODAY I AM JUST TRYING TO PREVENT DISASTERS IN MY LIFE ... TO GET INTO TROUBLE IS JUST A "LUXURY" I CAN'T HAVE. PLUS, I HAVE NO INTENTIONS OF RUINING MY BEAUTIFUL LIFE: I HAVE A SUPER HEALTHY LIFE WITH VERY GOOD FRIENDS AND AN EXCELLENT BOYFRIEND. I KNOW VERY WELL I AM QUITE ATTRACTIVE, HAVE BEEN A MODEL AND ALL ... BUT THIS ACNE ... IS THE ONLY REASON I AM RISKING IT: TODAY I STARTED THE 20 MG PER DAY THE DOC HAD SAID FOR ME TO AFTER 5-6 DAYS OF NOTHING.

TODAY I STILL WASN'T FEELING 100% LIVELY, ENERGETIC AND FUN WHEN I STARTED WITH HALF THE DOSSAGE ...

I AM WORRIED. DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANY MORE. I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT IF ANY TIME IN MY LIFE I HAD CANCER I WOULD NEVER EVER GO FOR CHEMOTHERAPY BUT FOR THE NATURAL CURE ... AND NOW, WITHOUT KNOWING IT, I WAS AND AM TAKING A DRUG FOR CHEMOTHERAPY USE?!! OR IS THAT BULLSHIT? ..OR DID I UNDERSTAND IT ALL WRONG? HEL PLEEEEAAAASEEEE.

MY FACE IS SO BEAUTIFUL WITHOUT THE ROUND RED HURTING THINGS UNDER MY SKIN. I WANTED SO MUCH TO CONTINUE BEING A MODEL, THAT I'M ANGRY NOT TO DO WHAT I MOST LOVED AND WITH WHAT I HAD THE MOST FUN, DIDN'T EVEN FEEL LIKE WORK (YOU KNOW HOW IT IS WHEN IT'S YOUR VOCATION). AND I AM ANGRY FOR ALL THE TIME I USED TO LOOK THE "THINGS" IN MY SKIN UP IN THE MIRROR AND ALL OF THE GOLD TIME USED TO PICK!! NEVER AGAIN, AT LEAST THAT IS IN CONTROL NOW. BEFORE, I DIDN'T KNOW THAT PICKING AS I DID HAD SO MUCH TO DO WITH OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE BEHAVIOR ETC ETC. AND NEITHER THAT IT PERPETUATES THE ACNE: EACH TIME YOU CAN HAVE MORE AND MORE.

I SUPPOSE IF I HAD A MOTHER RIGHT NOW SHE WOULD TELL ME "BEFORE WE KNOW FOR SURE THAT ROACUTTAN DOES NOT DO HARM, TODAY NOR IN THE FUTURE, KEEP AWAY FROM IT, AND ONLY WHEN WE ARE SURE IT'S NOT HARMFULL AS WE ARE READING ABOUT, YOU CAN TAKE IT SAFELY"

I HATE CONFUSION, AND I AM CONFUSED RIGHT NOW. DON'T KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF CONCERNING THIS POINT. FOR YEARS HAVE DONE BLOOD AND TYROID TESTS: EVERYTHING JUST FINE. I AM ALSO TAKING THE PILL AND WORKED FOR THE ACNE UP TO 5 MONTHS AND THEN.... BAAAAAM, HUGE PAINFULL CYSTIC ACNE FLARE... AND THAT'S WHEN I DESPERATELY WENT TO ASK FOR A REFERRAL TO GO TO A DERMATOLOGIST AND WENT THE SAME DAY. AND STARTED TAKING THE ROACUTTAN CAPSULE RIGHT THE NEXT DAY AFTER I PICKED IT UP.

I DON'T WANT TO RUIN MY LIFE.

BUT ON THE OTHER SIDE THERE ARE SO MANY INTERESTS MADE UP OUT THERE, MONEY IN BETWEEN, THAT YOU DON'T KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE ANYMORE! AND WE'RE NOT EVEN DOCTORS OR SCIENTISTS!! SAME BIG DEAL IS GOING AROUND SOY. IT'S MONEY MOVING THE WORLD, THE INTERESTS, THE INFORMATION PUBLIC CAN GET HOLD ON TO.

FUC..·%$%$·

I DON'T FEEL WELL.

I'M GOT TO THE POINT OF PUTTING THINGS ON A BALANCE TO DECIDE: WHICH WILL HURT MORE¿?..: THE POSSIBLE TREMENDOUS SIDE-EFFECTS OR THE DISFIGURATING, SELF-ESTEEM KILLING ACNE JUST IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE, WHICH EVEN HURTS WHEN YOU TOUCH IT BY ACCIDENT VERY SOFTLY.

I'M READING ALL SORTS OF THINGS ABOUT NATURAL AND ORGANIC PRODUCTS ... DO YOU REALLY THINK IT CAN BE FROM THE LIVER? SHOULDN'T I HAVE OTHER SYMPTOMS AS WELL?

I AM IN DUBAI SINCE 7 MONTHS AGO AND I'M GOING FOR A LONG VISIT BACK TO MY COUNTRY TO MY BOYFRIEND WITH WHOM I LIVE WITH THERE, IT'S ONLY MY 2ND VISIT.. AND I WOULDN'T WANT TO BE ALL CHEMICALLY DEPRESSED BECAUSE OF ROACUTTAN ... ¿OR HAS IT NOTHING TO DO AND IT JUST HELPED UNMASKED A UNVEILED STRONG INNER DEPRESSION OF MINE?

I WANT TO FEEL AS I USED TO. I ALSO REMEMBER, RIIIGHT AT THE START OF TAKING ROACUTTANE MY IMMUNE SYSTEM WENT SHIT, STARTED COUGHING, HAD SOME SORT OF SHORT FLU. AND THE THING IS THAT IT IS SO WEIRD FOR ME TO HAVE: I NEVER EVER HAVE FLU'S CAUSE I TAKE A SHAKE SUPPLEMENT SINCE YEARS AGO WHICH HAS BUILT UP THE BEST OF IMMUNE SYSTEMS. I CAN EVEN HANG WITH PEOPLE WITH FLU.

MANY SAY IT WAS A DEPRESSION THAT THE PERSON ALREADY HAD... IT'S JUST SO MUCH OF A COINCIDENCE, PLUS I PROMISE, IT FELT SO CHEMICAL, IT FELT SO MUCH THAT IS WAS THE ROACUTTANE DOING IT ... SHOULD I CONTINUE ON NOW WITH THAT DERM RECOMMENDED HALF DOSE?

Does anyone have a facts sheet that shows who the side effects affect more?

For example do side effects oocur more with male, females, a certain age, ethinicity?

haha, wow you guys need to chill out. and stop being panzies. This happens to what like 1 and a billion people that take the drug? and that is probably because they worry about it way to much, and it's not caused by Isotretinoin at all. Serisouly chill out.

if it was so bad why do they percribe it to just about everyone, and they have a great success rate with accutane?

Nick

I'm getting very worried for you............Firstly how come your Mumy and Daddy have let you used a big persons computer? Im sure a child your age must ask permission to turn on electricity etc.

Secondly............either accutane has got to you OR you need spelling lessons? I'll explain..!

Pansies not Panzies.........remember the 'S'..? it makes a sssssss.....sound

Do you mean 1 in a Billion people OR as you put it 1 AND a billion people..?

mmmmmm.....way to much??? the word you're looking for is TOO much, remember 2 O's and lastly.......SERIOUSLY...not serisouly like you wrote.....

Ps. I think the word you were looking for is PRESCRIBE...??? Not perscribe.......

If that's not enough for you the Sesame Street a-z's should help............it'll be released on DVD soon for Christmas..............

I bid you farewell,you Cock..........(sorry you'll have to get an adult to tell you what a cock is)

Millsy

Thanks, you must be a teacher or something. Dang.

I didn't know that this was English class, and wow you use the word "cock" a lot, You must be very interested in those. Thats odd.

We'll im pretty sure i have a point, you cannot blame the fact that you've suffered these side effects on anyone but yourself. You just can't it's not right. No matter how much you like it, it is your own fault.

Because it Clearly tells you on the box that it WILL cause birth defects, and all of the other things it does.

It was your decision to take it, not anyone elses.

But if your not blaming it on anyone but yourself then thats fine.

People need to take more responsiblity for there actions. Not blame it on other things.

Thanks, you must be a teacher or something. Dang.

I didn't know that this was English class, and wow you use the word "cock" a lot, You must be very interested in those. Thats odd.

We'll im pretty sure i have a point, you cannot blame the fact that you've suffered these side effects on anyone but yourself. You just can't it's not right. No matter how much you like it, it is your own fault.

Because it Clearly tells you on the box that it WILL cause birth defects, and all of the other things it does.

It was your decision to take it, not anyone elses.

But if your not blaming it on anyone but yourself then thats fine.

People need to take more responsiblity for there actions. Not blame it on other things.

Nick

Now that's better spelling,well done. I use the word 'cock' because it's better than calling you a 'Prick'..!

Your'e obviously not reading all of the blogs iv'e written? It clearly states that when I took Isotretinoin it was 1984...The only side effects reported on then were "possible hair loss,minimal and sore lips". I was used by my Dermatoligist (in his words) as a Guinea pig,because the drug was so new,No I did'nt get any written warnings,no verbal warnings,the drugs came in a glass jar and there were definately no warnings on that either..?? Lastly I was informed that this drug was going to get rid of my ''mild'' once and for all. The irony was I did'nt care if I took it or not,I really did'nt, my acne wasn't all that bad...! So in reply to your remark that it was my decision, it actually wasn't? My derm used me as the Guinea pig and I had no choice. I was 19 years old and niave and trusted him implicitly. I'm now 43 and a lot wiser,unfortunately I have had to suffer for 24 years to understand what this drug can really do. I can't do anything for myself anymore so I try and help others before they make a big,big,mistake.

I will agree with you on one thing you said....Had I known the side effects,. I could have made an informed decision about my health. In 1984 There wasn't a choice.

Millsy

....Moderator edit - removed two quotes that were made invisible....

Well I can tell you that I know for a fact a family member of mine taking the drug in the start of the 1980's, was warned about the side effects...she finished that course and acne has never returned

And to Nick you can't blame it on yourself, some people (1 to 10.000 are prone to very serious side effects, not 1 to one billion) have been destroyed by Accutane.

What I understand from these boards is that 99% of the people having problems with Accutane, are on a very high dose! Me I am just following the 1mg/1kg ratio, and it works wonders for me!

There still is no choice

For one the accutane pamphlet says NOTHING about ANY sexual side effects. Plus I know for a fact that most dermatologists still tell new patients that the side effects are short term, and usually only describe the dryness related ones. then they go on to say one month after your course everything goes back to normal. which is true to some extent, the side effects usually go away after, but they all come back (plus more) years later.

I NEVER would have considered taking it if I was told that there was permanent receptor damage, permanent side effects that resemble chronic illnesses, a 20% drop rate in the brains metabolism, and many many more.

why not state on the pamphlet:

surpressioned function of thyroid

surpressioned of androgen receptors

surpressioned of testosterone receptors

cell loss in different areas of the brain

altered DNA/gene expression

im sure that would be enough, why not write that, the truth? this is valuable information for anyone considering Accutane. It's illegal not to tell patients that this can happen, now if anyone decides to take it with FULL information then what is there to say? unfortunately everyone is mislead including myself 2 years ago.

Accutane is a one of a kind drug, and unless people do the research themselves then they could be saying good bye to their most important asset, their HEALTH.

Well I can tell you that I know for a fact a family member of mine taking the drug in the start of the 1980's, was warned about the side effects...she finished that course and acne has never returned

And to Nick you can't blame it on yourself, some people (1 to 10.000 are prone to very serious side effects, not 1 to one billion) have been destroyed by Accutane.

What I understand from these boards is that 99% of the people having problems with Accutane, are on a very high dose! Me I am just following the 1mg/1kg ratio, and it works wonders for me!

I'm glad the drug works for you, it did'nt for me and a lot of others aswell. As regards to your "family member" being given the side effects in the 1980's???? They were'nt known in the 1980's?????? so I beg to differ....SOME and only the mild effects were known ie. dry,chapped lips, possible hair loss....and that was it. Don't forget I was the one in the 1980's who took the drug and not someone else,I was the one who nearly died,I was the one who did'nt know they were using Chemotherapy on me,I was the one who knew nothing about the suicidal tendencies,I was the one who was paralysed.....I could go on and on,but i'll stop there.

1 in 20 people suffer from some side effect,not 1 in 10'000, probably 1 in 10,000 die.What we don't know is how many people are dying or committing suicide etc.etc. and don't know it was caused by accutane. We only read about the ones who KNOW it..!!

I really do hope it continues to 'work wonders' for you because if it does'nt, god help you my friend.

Millsy

What can we accutane victims do? We might have to live with all the side effects that we are experiencing now, for life. No point argueing and even if we burn down roche it is not going to change anything and feel normal again.

Anyway, I would not be suprise that there will be another "batch" of new accutane victims soon. I predict that, In 2009, there will be people, suffering from diffuse alopecia areata, rosacea, IBD, joint pain, diabetes and so on because of accutane.

What can we accutane victims do? We might have to live with all the side effects that we are experiencing now, for life. No point argueing and even if we burn down roche it is not going to change anything and feel normal again.

Hi Max

I think you are missing the point? I suffered from accutane a hell of a lot,I lost an eye,tried to commit suicide,was paralysed and still suffer daily with joint pains,back pains,depression etc etc.

My mission,and I think what keeps me going is not to get lots of money or a better lifestyle etc. it's about the bosses of Roche being sent to prison for knowingly maiming young people(mostly) and for the drug to be taken off the market once and for all.......no amount of money can buy me another eye..!!

I'll fight and fight for others not to go through what I did.

Millsy

Hi millsy,

First of all, I feel for you and, I do not know how you live your life for the past two decades (if I am not wrong). Personally, I suffer from inflammation hair loss that doesn't seems to stop and ultra sensitive skin which itch for no reason and, this two problems are enough to make me wanna commit suicide and hope that God will take me away soon.

As for Roche, personally I do not blame them because I understand that people who are suffering from severe acne needs accutane. The main point is, reduce the dose to 10mg for moderate acne and 20mg for severe acne and no more than that should reduce the side effects significantly.

The only person that I will curse is that doctor who prescribed accutane to me when I don't need it at all, I have only one pimple and I learn that he was a doctor who only care about money only after I suffer from all this side effects. He prescribe accutane to all his acne patients. And if people in Roche deserve to die so does that doctor.

As for warning others, I stop doing that because most people would not listen and they will say things like "it might not even be cause by accutane" or "you are going to experience the side effects even without accutane anyway". So the best is, let them take their accutane and if they are lucky, they get away with it, and if not, then they cannot regret what they have done since they have already been warned in the first place.

A final reminder before this thread will be closed: Stop name-calling. Stop attacking. Simply state facts or opinions. Or this thread WILL be closed.

we'll im just gonna ask, why would you take the drug if you know of the very serious side effects? as you said, they tell you they have side effects, it's your risk to take the drug if you please. Now you can't blame the fact that you got these side effects on someone else. As you said it clearly states on the box, (im reading them right now) that is has the side effects. It is no one elses decision to take the drug but yours, even though you know of the side effects.

Well Nick,

I think it would be because when you make the decision to take the accutane, you are probably at a point in your life where the acne has screwed up your life so much that it all seems worth it at the time. People think they will not have the bad side effects. There are alot of reasons to justify taking the medication. I wasn't well informed. My derm told me drying lips, dry nose, and perhaps elevated liver enzymes that could be fixed if I stopped the drug. I didn't know I could go crazy in the my head for no apparent reason. I didn't know that I would develop heart problems. Nobody is blaming anything on anyone else. This is INFORMATIVE, and nothing more. No blame. Get it? :hand:

Well Nick,

I think it would be because when you make the decision to take the accutane, you are probably at a point in your life where the acne has screwed up your life so much that it all seems worth it at the time. People think they will not have the bad side effects. There are alot of reasons to justify taking the medication. I wasn't well informed. My derm told me drying lips, dry nose, and perhaps elevated liver enzymes that could be fixed if I stopped the drug. I didn't know I could go crazy in the my head for no apparent reason. I didn't know that I would develop heart problems. Nobody is blaming anything on anyone else. This is INFORMATIVE, and nothing more. No blame. Get it? :hand:

Well said Donna, I was given the drug in the early/mid 80's for very very mild acne,by a specialist(not a GP.) but a specialist consultant! I have since read that I shouldn't have been given accutane for very mild acne???

How was I supposed to know that?

He is the specialist(allegedly) I was a 19 year old teenager who wanted better skin that's all. So to say I was at fault is a bit sore to say the least.

I have learned what I know by listening to other people and this is what this Blog is all about, I listen and then pass on what I know. We have been attacked enough by the drug, we don't need others who have had 'good' experiences putting us down all the time.

I fully agree with Donna,I was told that it would be the 'miracle cure'............it wasn't..!!!!!!!

Millsy

Well said millsy. If you've had a good experience, YAY good for you. Okay, that's all. Good for you. Doesn't change my mind about it. Doesn't change my bad experience. Doesn't make it any less dangerous.

I saw my derm today and he prescribed me accutane. He is the board head at ucsd medical and a very respectable doctor. He told me that both of his sons used accutane with great success. I think it all comes down to starting off on a small dose and monitoring yourself.

My derm just also finished treating a player for the san diego chargers. He was on accutane for 4 months during the regular season, running and lifting everyday etc. The doctor said there were no problems at all. I personally run at least 3 miles a day and he said it would be no problem, but to take it easy if I feel any joint pain.

Im also inclined to think that the people who have had bad effects from it are more likely to be on message boards, which I believe they have every right to.

I saw my derm today and he prescribed me accutane. He is the board head at ucsd medical and a very respectable doctor. He told me that both of his sons used accutane with great success. I think it all comes down to starting off on a small dose and monitoring yourself.

My derm just also finished treating a player for the san diego chargers. He was on accutane for 4 months during the regular season, running and lifting everyday etc. The doctor said there were no problems at all. I personally run at least 3 miles a day and he said it would be no problem, but to take it easy if I feel any joint pain.

Im also inclined to think that the people who have had bad effects from it are more likely to be on message boards, which I believe they have every right to.

I was 19 and played rugby at a high level,I boxed also at a high level.......It doesn't matter if you play Football,Rugby,Box,Gymnastics etc etc..if Accutane doesn't agree with you,it will kick u in the ass....I went from playing sports at a very high competitive level to a wheelchair which I couldn't even wheel myself....

How many people have you heared say " buy this car...my wife has one"! "buy this tv. I have the same one at home "!."Buy this vacation, I go there every year" !........................

Sound familiar??? very much like " the drug is so good,my sons were on it"....

Maybe I'm cynical but this dangerous made me so...

What you will find also on message boards ,is that people tend to warn other people of bad things.If you had no problems with anything in particular, you would'nt need a message board,it's what you would expect?

I really really hope you don't experience 1% of what I and others have experienced.Take care of yourself.

Millsy

I was 19 and played rugby at a high level,I boxed also at a high level.......It doesn't matter if you play Football,Rugby,Box,Gymnastics etc etc..if Accutane doesn't agree with you,it will kick u in the ass....I went from playing sports at a very high competitive level to a wheelchair which I couldn't even wheel myself....

How many people have you heared say " buy this car...my wife has one"! "buy this tv. I have the same one at home "!."Buy this vacation, I go there every year" !........................

What you will find also on message boards ,is that people tend to warn other people of bad things.If you had no problems with anything in particular, you would'nt need a message board,it's what you would expect?

I really really hope you don't experience 1% of what I and others have experienced.Take care of yourself.

Millsy

Millsy How much of a dose did you take?

Millsy

To be honest Donna I can't remember as it was 23 years ago,but I was given one course,then had a repeat prescription(without any testing) and became very ill after the 2nd course,my third course weren't used cos I was in hospital.......my derms answer??? throw them away because the damage has been done.!!!!!

Millsy

WallyP

I do appreciate your posts and I don't want to pour water on your fire but all I would say is I and a few other people have had very bad side effects indeed. I really do hope you have success because you deserve it after going through what you have. I incidently was given Accutane as one of the first methods of treatment? I know that was in 1984,but luckily we have learned from that,a little late for the poor people who have suffered more than me,but i'm lucky because I only lost one eye,and I learned to walk again.! Remember Stephen Tebby from Caerleon,Newport? he jumped from a high rise car park to his death after taking Accutane,Richard Todd (the actor) his son shot himself on Accutane,the 15 year old boy in the US who flew into a school again whilst on Accutane...a little more that coincinence..? I understand that the cause of death for the 14 year old in Wales is still undetermined as the results are still with the coroners office.The press says he died after an allergic reaction to an ''ACNE DRUG'' the papers called it an antibiotic? My doctor says accutane is an antibiotic....coincidence again???

I really do wish everyone taking accutane all the very best for them and I pray that they are all well,but I also feel the drug company is still hiding something,after all it was firstly produced as a chemotherapy to conquer Cancer...and chemotherapy is a POISON...

take care

are u blind? You honestly think that by taking Accutane it somehow makes you suicidal with hormonal imbalances and the chemical BS? My goodness, I know it's a strong drug but you are seriously being narrow minded if you think the Drug is the sole cause of those suicides. Wake the hell up. Honestly, more than half the people who take Accutane would have shot themselves EVEN WITHOUT THE DAMN DRUG.

I am repeating again. And sorry for being rude but Im afraid that your narrow view will hurt others; The people who take Accutane, the people who NEED it generally have emotional issues that come with the severe acne. Whether that be in a form of getting teased at school or getting dumped for it, losing self confidence because of severe acne, etc. Please dont say that its just because of the damn drug...

and do I need to say more about the Poision in Accutane bs your talking about? ROFL you make me laugh

Millsy

To be honest Donna I can't remember as it was 23 years ago,but I was given one course,then had a repeat prescription(without any testing) and became very ill after the 2nd course,my third course weren't used cos I was in hospital.......my derms answer??? throw them away because the damage has been done.!!!!!

Millsy

I really sympathize with you. However I don't think it is a good comparison of how accutane is prescribed today. The drug has probably been more refined. Patients are given more appropriate doses. Blood tests are done every month. Side affects are reported immediately to doctors who are much more familiar with it then they were decades ago.

Anyway, I have yet to take it, so my opinion matters less than someone who has taken it. I will be very cautious of side affects and have already asked my derm to give me a lower dose of 20-30mg(I am a 170lb male with moderate acne).