Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
donnatkb

ACCUTANE CAN SERIOUSLY JACK YOU UP

Why are people likening accutane to russian roulette? Clearly in that game there is a significantly higher chance of getting 'hit' than their is taking accutane. Seriously...

How many barrels in a standard revolver? 6 or 8 right? Check the 'Do you regret taking accutane thread?' and you'll find that roughly 20% of people said Yes. So, in that respect you are wrong mate. It's probably safer to play Russian Roulette as in the above stats 1-2 people will experience a fall out of effects from accutane.

Hmm, I took Acutane when I was 13, in 7th or 8th grade and now I'm 25 almost 26

I didn't have anything happen to me. Every single pimple cleared up and I was left without any scars. I do remember dry lips , thats all.

But, I read your post about your heart condition and I'm wondering if anyone knows if I could still suffer any negtive effects from taking accutane 13 years ago. The reason I'm concerned is because I found out im March I have a small heart condition. I found this out as a result of having a mini stroke. I am getting a test done where they stick a camera tube down your throat(your sedated) and check for any holes or defects in your heart.

I just wonder, if anything shows up, if its related to previous (13 years ago) acccutane use. I have never had any pains or problems with my heart though,, it just showed up on one of the many tests that I had to given while recovering from the mini stroke in the hospital... Ne advice?

PS-The stroke/s (mini) are still a mystery too..And I recently (1 year ago) went off birth control which I had been taking since 16 yrs old and now am having some under the skin breakouts. Nothing like real acne. Not noticalble to many I believe. But this web site popped up when I was searching for what Levualn was. My derm said it would help with my oily skin and larger pores, which I hate, but can live with.

In poland ,the average daily dosage of roaccutane is 20-30mg.People here do not experience most of the side effects that You're talking about.Maybe once I have heard about man who was suffering from hair loss,but He was on 50mg per day,so i Think thats the reason.But mainly the only problems of polish roaccutane users are dry lips dry skin and tiredness.I really feel sorry for all of You who suffer from roaccutane side effects,really,I hope You soon recover.Also sorry for my bad english.Still learning,besides its almost 1am here and I'm really tired;)

Hmm, I took Acutane when I was 13, in 7th or 8th grade and now I'm 25 almost 26

I didn't have anything happen to me. Every single pimple cleared up and I was left without any scars. I do remember dry lips , thats all.

But, I read your post about your heart condition and I'm wondering if anyone knows if I could still suffer any negtive effects from taking accutane 13 years ago. The reason I'm concerned is because I found out im March I have a small heart condition. I found this out as a result of having a mini stroke. I am getting a test done where they stick a camera tube down your throat(your sedated) and check for any holes or defects in your heart.

I just wonder, if anything shows up, if its related to previous (13 years ago) acccutane use. I have never had any pains or problems with my heart though,, it just showed up on one of the many tests that I had to given while recovering from the mini stroke in the hospital... Ne advice?

PS-The stroke/s (mini) are still a mystery too..And I recently (1 year ago) went off birth control which I had been taking since 16 yrs old and now am having some under the skin breakouts. Nothing like real acne. Not noticalble to many I believe. But this web site popped up when I was searching for what Levualn was. My derm said it would help with my oily skin and larger pores, which I hate, but can live with.

You know it's hard to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if the accutane caused. Although, I do think that 13 years is a long time to go on being fine and then get hit later. It's hard to say. Accutane has only been around for 25 years, so the long term effects are still unknown. Who knows how many people develop bad stuff like 10 years after they stop taking accutane and they don't even link it together. How many mg did you take and how long?

Why are people likening accutane to russian roulette? Clearly in that game there is a significantly higher chance of getting 'hit' than their is taking accutane. Seriously...

How many barrels in a standard revolver? 6 or 8 right? Check the 'Do you regret taking accutane thread?' and you'll find that roughly 20% of people said Yes. So, in that respect you are wrong mate. It's probably safer to play Russian Roulette as in the above stats 1-2 people will experience a fall out of effects from accutane.

I couldn't of said it better myself!!! :D

Guest Lee Harris
Honestly? None really at all Lee, that's the scary thing. Had I really suffered joint pain, hair loss or other more serious side effects I would of come straight off the drug no questions asked - but I didn't. My treatment was pretty much pain and hassle free with the usual dry sides only and occassional back and muscle ache.

That's what really hurts me. That only a few months after finishing my small dose course I got thrown into the turmoil I'm in today. Can I suggest you look into taking a combined hyalouronic acid and glucosomine supllement mate, asap, just to help prevent possible complications.

Good luck.

Sheefa,

I'll look into the hyalouronic and glucosomine next week when I'm at GNC.

Yea a month in I'm only experiencing dryness, dry eyes especially, and my hair seems to be shedding a little more than normal.

What was your dosage like, and for how long?

Dear Donna,

My heart really goes out to you and I have sympathy for your situation. I've been on Accutane and while I haven't had any side effects (that I know of, anyway) I know it's always possible that down the line I might experience some physical ailment that makes me wish I'd just stayed with the acne. And my acne was severe and scarring.

You know, when you wrote that you were an aerobics instructor and that your heart was in tip-top shape, I don't doubt that you were incredibly fit and doing everything physically possible to maintain your body. Before you went on Accutane, had you ever had your heart examined by a cardiologist or had an EKG? I know that's a rarity for someone who is in good shape and isn't showing any symptoms of problems.

As for me, personally, I have a genetic defect that causes me to have abnormally high cholesterol. Although I'm 5'4 and weigh about 105 lbs and am fit from rollerblading, my cholesterol is still around 300 (since I don't want to take medication for it for certain reasons.) I was concerned that my tane course could make my clogged arteries even worse, and my derm checked my levels every month. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that perhaps there should be some kind of more thorough screening for people who want to go on Accutane. Maybe their hearts could be screened along with just their liver/cholesterol levels.

I have no idea if you had any kind of problems related to your heart before you went on Accutane, but I trust your judgment if you say you're certain you didn't. It seems to me that if you had gone to a doc and they gave you a clean bill of heart health and THEN you took tane, that you would know for a fact that Accutane caused your problems.

Does anyone know if there are any successful lawsuits regarding this kind of instance? I hate to think of Donna having to suffer like this on adfinitum, and feel very lucky for my situation. I can understand both sides I think-why some people are so adamant againt Accutane, and why some people (like me, at least for now) view it as the only thing that ever worked to end my miserable existance of hating myself and never wanting to leave the house.

When I was lying in that hospital bed, all I could think was "It was only Acne. And now I'm going to die."

Donna, I believe it was a low dose. I'm jsut thinking that bc i virtually no side effects except for chapped lips and i was young. Plus compared to others my acne wasnt severe but im still glad i took it bc my life would have been so different if i countinued to look like what i did. i just am a personn who is very hard of themselves and i couldnt look in the mirror. Another reason i believe it was a low dose is bc i had a pretty strict derm. but i dont know for sure. im going to mention it to my doctors next time.

Dear Donna,

My heart really goes out to you and I have sympathy for your situation. I've been on Accutane and while I haven't had any side effects (that I know of, anyway) I know it's always possible that down the line I might experience some physical ailment that makes me wish I'd just stayed with the acne. And my acne was severe and scarring.

You know, when you wrote that you were an aerobics instructor and that your heart was in tip-top shape, I don't doubt that you were incredibly fit and doing everything physically possible to maintain your body. Before you went on Accutane, had you ever had your heart examined by a cardiologist or had an EKG? I know that's a rarity for someone who is in good shape and isn't showing any symptoms of problems.

As for me, personally, I have a genetic defect that causes me to have abnormally high cholesterol. Although I'm 5'4 and weigh about 105 lbs and am fit from rollerblading, my cholesterol is still around 300 (since I don't want to take medication for it for certain reasons.) I was concerned that my tane course could make my clogged arteries even worse, and my derm checked my levels every month. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that perhaps there should be some kind of more thorough screening for people who want to go on Accutane. Maybe their hearts could be screened along with just their liver/cholesterol levels.

I have no idea if you had any kind of problems related to your heart before you went on Accutane, but I trust your judgment if you say you're certain you didn't. It seems to me that if you had gone to a doc and they gave you a clean bill of heart health and THEN you took tane, that you would know for a fact that Accutane caused your problems.

Does anyone know if there are any successful lawsuits regarding this kind of instance? I hate to think of Donna having to suffer like this on adfinitum, and feel very lucky for my situation. I can understand both sides I think-why some people are so adamant againt Accutane, and why some people (like me, at least for now) view it as the only thing that ever worked to end my miserable existance of hating myself and never wanting to leave the house.

When I was lying in that hospital bed, all I could think was "It was only Acne. And now I'm going to die."

That's frequently in the back of my mind when I read horror stories like yours-what if down the road I'm suffering from debilitating consequences due to a drug I took for (somewhat) vanity purposes as a young adult. I guess I just weighed the consequences and decided my appearance now was more important than the chances I was taking. Kind of like people who tan to look good for a week and don't care about the wrinkles that will be far more pervasive (but not now, down the line...all they care about is being tan and looking good today.)

I'll be praying for you Donna. :pray:

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm actually doing alot better now. I've been off the accutane for 3 weeks and 1 day now. I have stopped having panic attacks and I haven't had to take my medication for a few days. I'm even planning on starting my aerobics teaching on monday again.

The abnormal arythmia in my heart seems to have magically "disappeared" now that I'm off the Accutane. And my abnormal QT syndrome seems to have vaished too.

I think that if I would have ignored my symptoms and continued on the accutane I prob would have died after a few more months.

Have you seen the MTV true life "I have acne"

It REALLY opens your eyes about accutane and how some people die.

I'm so thankfull that I don't have joint pain, although on of my knees has started to become a little bothersome.

Donna, I believe it was a low dose. I'm jsut thinking that bc i virtually no side effects except for chapped lips and i was young. Plus compared to others my acne wasnt severe but im still glad i took it bc my life would have been so different if i countinued to look like what i did. i just am a personn who is very hard of themselves and i couldnt look in the mirror. Another reason i believe it was a low dose is bc i had a pretty strict derm. but i dont know for sure. im going to mention it to my doctors next time.

I think accutane should only be taken in a low dose. I'm angry at my doctor for starting me at 80mg. That is just proposterous.

I think if you take it in lower dose it takes longer but it's safer. My acne cleared up on like the third day that I started the accutane. Obviously it was too strong......... It shouldn't have worked that fast. I wonder if the fact that I work out so much and have such a high metabolism had anything to do with amplifying the effects of the medication.

I just want everyone to be informed about the risk they are taking (since the derm doesn't tell you even 2% of the side effects that can happen to you)

Perhaps, but I don't think a post on a messageboard can be used as evidence. I also still think it is a bad analogy. The two are not comparable. I can admit that taking the drug involves some risk, but comparing it to russian roulette without substantial proof comes across as a bit hysterical.

Perhaps, but I don't think a post on a messageboard can be used as evidence. I also still think it is a bad analogy. The two are not comparable. I can admit that taking the drug involves some risk, but comparing it to russian roulette without substantial proof comes across as a bit hysterical.

I don't understand all the hostility. I mean, don't be offended when we're out here just trying to warn people of the risks that they're not aware of. If I can get even 1 person to change their mind about accutane then I'm a happy camper. So you don't agree. Great. Take it. Good luck. Peace out, you know? :rolleyes:

Anyone getting scared about this thread needs to remember two things:

the claims that were made were not backed up by evidence and

the vast majority of people cured by accutane without any side effects have little reason to post on an acne message board.

I'm on my 4th month. I'm not dead. Every medicine has side effects. Accutane is no different.

Also remember there is a multimillion dollar industry riding on the fact that millions have acne and think that there is no cure.

Anyone getting scared about this thread needs to remember two things:

the claims that were made were not backed up by evidence and

the vast majority of people cured by accutane without any side effects have little reason to post on an acne message board.

I'm on my 4th month. I'm not dead. Every medicine has side effects. Accutane is no different.

Also remember there is a multimillion dollar industry riding on the fact that millions have acne and think that there is no cure.

I'm glad it's working for you dude. Good luck in the future. Hopefully you'll be the majority that has no side effects. That would be very ideal. Accutane worked great for me too. I have no acne to speak of anymore. And I am still alive. But I could have died. And you could die. And anyone that takes it could die. I probably won't die. You probably won't die, and most people probably won't die. But PROBABLY WON'T isn't good enough for me when it concerns my life, as well as my quality of life. I guess it depends on how far you're willing to go to clear the acne.

Whoa that's intense hope you feel better. I'm on accutane almost for 4 months and i am frightned after reading your post.

Whoa that's intense hope you feel better. I'm on accutane almost for 4 months and i am frightned after reading your post.

If you're in your 4th month you're almost done. Good for you I hope it worked for you. It worked for me, just made me a little crazy and anxious now. And a heart arythmia.

80% of people that take it are fine. You're probably part of that 80% so don't worry. You'll have an axiety attack lol

I'm not trying to be bossy or overdramatic.

I just want to make sure people make an INFORMED decision before taking poison to clear acne

If you're in your 4th month you're almost done. Good for you I hope it worked for you. It worked for me, just made me a little crazy and anxious now. And a heart arythmia.

80% of people that take it are fine. You're probably part of that 80% so don't worry. You'll have an axiety attack lol

Go away troll! You stole your picture from a chick on plentyoffish dot com. Look in the bottom left corner, you left the logo! And I looked at your other posts and your pushing some product.

Go away troll! You stole your picture from a chick on plentyoffish dot com. Look in the bottom left corner, you left the logo! And I looked at your other posts and your pushing some product.

Er. I am on plenty of fish dot com. You're dumb dude. I grabbed that picture of my profile on plenty of fish because I was at work and that's the only pic I could grab. . BTW, I'm not pushing any products. What the fuck do I care about Neutrogena and Clean and clear? You're such an idiot. Wow........

Looky Looky at me idiot www.myspace.com/donna420420

You're probably a troll lol :rolleyes:

Ms. Susan - please do not further heckle, mock, demean, put down, or otherwise exclaim in any disreputable fashion with Donna or anyone else anymore. She is sharing her experience - and that is that Accutane, which is a fairly heavy drug, can have some serious affects.

If you continue to insult her, I will make sure that you are no longer able to insult anyone on this site.

Thank you.

Ms. Susan - please do not further heckle, mock, demean, put down, or otherwise exclaim in any disreputable fashion with Donna or anyone else anymore. She is sharing her experience - and that is that Accutane, which is a fairly heavy drug, can have some serious affects.

If you continue to insult her, I will make sure that you are no longer able to insult anyone on this site.

Thank you.

Hey thanks alot! :D

I search for the 13-cis retinoic acid on the web and it's true. I am in month 4 and clear since my 10th day in the treatment. I chose to go on accutane because acne almost destroyed my life and my marriage and everything I believed it. It's true Accutane is a hard drug but it changed my life. Right now I am only experiencing back pain, headaches, and sensitivity to light and noises. But now that I have been completely clear for 4 months and I am aware of accutane being a chemotherapy drug, I will discuss with my doctors other topical ways to keep my acne checked. Those topical treatments didn't work before but they might work now that I am acne free. Maybe I start tazorac as a maintenance regimen. And that's the keyword: " maintenance."

If you want to find out more about accutane being a chemo drug, then click on this link:

http://www.chemocare.com/bio/cisretinoic_acid.asp

Good luck everyone.

P.S. Below you will find the crazy routine that took me to a bridge to nowhere. Retin-A destroyed my face! Now after only 4months of accutane I only need to wash my face with aveeno for sensitive skin and mosturize with light, oil-free lotion and do a facial the week before I get my period. I am going off the drug and I pray to remain clear from acne for ever.

I search for the 13-cis retinoic acid on the web and it's true. I am in month 4 and clear since my 10th day in the treatment. I chose to go on accutane because acne almost destroyed my life and my marriage and everything I believed it. It's true Accutane is a hard drug but it changed my life. Right now I am only experiencing back pain, headaches, and sensitivity to light and noises. But now that I have been completely clear for 4 months and I am aware of accutane being a chemotherapy drug, I will discuss with my doctors other topical ways to keep my acne checked. Those topical treatments didn't work before but they might work now that I am acne free. Maybe I start tazorac as a maintenance regimen. And that's the keyword: " maintenance."

If you want to find out more about accutane being a chemo drug, then click on this link:

http://www.chemocare.com/bio/cisretinoic_acid.asp

Good luck everyone.

P.S. Below you will find the crazy routine that took me to a bridge to nowhere. Retin-A destroyed my face! Now after only 4months of accutane I only need to wash my face with aveeno for sensitive skin and mosturize with light, oil-free lotion and do a facial the week before I get my period. I am going off the drug and I pray to remain clear from acne for ever.

It just funny how the doctors don't tell you it's a chemotherapy drug. I actually heard it from someone who had taken it in the 80's. He told me after I started taking and I didn't believe him. It makes sense though as to why your hair falls out and you get so tired. Just like any chemotherapy. They don't even really know why it shrinks your oil glands.

When I first got my symptoms, I was in denial that the accutane was causing it. I was like "No, it's not the Accutane. I'm gonna keep taking it!" Because it worked sooooo well at clearing me up. It'll be one month since I quit the accutane on the 25th and I'm still suffering some of the ill side effects. So much for them leaving when the accutane leaves!

Besides, this is my second time in accutane is less than 4 years. This treatement does not have permanent results but the side effect can be permanent?!?! That's a sucky deal. Although I can't be ungrateful (Accutane gave me my life back), now it is time to move up to topical and pray my skin will remain as beautiful as it is now. :pray:

I told my doctor that I didn't want a high dose because the first timearound in the medicine I got really depressed, so he started me with 40 for 3 months and 60 for 2 months. I am 145 lbs. 5.5 feet. I haven't experienced extreme depression other than fatigue (feeling as if catching a cold -then I sleep it off - don't exercise heavily).

I have been acne free after 10 days of my first pill (Who knows? maybe all that purging of Retin-A helped although for 3 months I had a pizza face while on Retin-A). Honestly, I am frightened to go back to my acneic face!!!!!!!!!!!