Notifications
Clear all

Looking at other cultures

MemberMember
(@oneloveletsgettogether)

Posted : 10/12/2008 1:20 pm

Mediterraneans, Asians, and Africans. You notice something about these guys? You don't really notice much acne with foreign countries, especially Asia and Mediterranean and African countries. So what is it about their diets that is so much better than ours? I think putting ourselves on a strict diet is too complicated. Why can't we just put ourselves on a foreign diet? For example if I went out and bought ONLY foods that you would find in Japan..Soba Noodles, asian veggies, etc., would that possibly work? I'll tell you one thing evrey single asian in my school is clear and the same goes for the Indians and other Asia Minor countries. Every single exchange student I've ever seen over here (my friends family hosts many exchange students) has been clear. So it must be something with their lifestyle. Has anybody known anybody or done this themselves and gotten results? Incorporating another countries diet?

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 10/12/2008 1:24 pm

Their is a Brazilian exchange student from my school who has severe acne. Also I have seen many Asians battling skin problems. Also I think you are looking at to general of an aspect of health, you need to look at the rest of their culture also.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/12/2008 1:57 pm

I have Asians in my family and my step-aunt is from Japan. She lived there most of her life (recently she's spent 5 years in America, other than that she was in Japan) and she has mentioned to me several times that I should incorporate a Japanese type diet. She has told me that in Japan not many people have acne as opposed to here. You can walk into a mall and see every other person with some form of acne, minor to severe. And hispanic cultures are different, I know many hispanics in my own school that have bad acne, and one of the worst (if not the worst) case of acne I've ever seen in my life plagues this mexican kid from my school. I'm sure the reason is is because yes Japanese and other Asians/Mediterraneans have their indulgences but overall their diets are very healthy (incorporating Asian soups and etc...they get more than enough veggies every day, while sadly many Americans dont even get ONE SINGLE serving of veggies and some dont even get a single serving of fruit in a day) . I think going on a foreign diet would greatly improve many people's acne as well as their health.

I'm not saying all foreigners don't have acne, but there are some particular cultures (African, Asian, and Mediterranean) that don't have nearly as much as us.

Oh and on top of that anybody you see in America does not really 'count' because they are exposed to an American diet. A Japanese person in America could eat an American diet and get acne, but I mean in their own countries its a rare thing to have. My korean friend Dakun has been clear all my life that Ive known him (since 5th grade, I'm a junior now) and he is extremely healthy, he plays sports and all that, and he eats pretty much only Korean food. He brings it for lunch and everything, even grows his own vegetables (asian vegetables). That could of course be a coincidence he could be one of those people who can eat anything and not get acne. Who knows. I just know it would be hella easier to incorporate an Asian diet than try to eat only raw fruits/veggies/nuts and some meat every now and then to stay clear. Fuck that I want some real food, ya know?

MemberMember
(@bepimpled)

Posted : 10/12/2008 2:10 pm

I'm mediterranean and have shit skin! In my house, we mostly follow the mediterranean diet and I still have acne. However, I do see your point. I've traveled all over Europe, and have noticed that majority of them have clear skin. I have two friends, one from Croatia and one from Germany. Neither one of them had acne, not even in their teens. Six months after they moved to the US, they broke out in acne. Its probably just a coincidence but go figure...

MemberMember
(@mountainman)

Posted : 10/12/2008 2:30 pm

Its because in most other countries there isnt an administration as corrupt as the FDA that let extremely dangerous chemicals in our water, food and prescription drugs. I mean from day 1 in America our bodies are given all sorts of dangerous vaccines (some which have been proven to cause autism). We drink water with sodium flouride and chlorine in it both which are very toxic. If you were to drink a couple milliliters of one either one of those chemicals at once, you would die. So how they hell could they be ok for you to drink over an entire lifetime? Also our foods are sprayed with countless pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and fertilizers most of which are petroleum based. Our meats are loaded with antibiotics, steroids and growth horomones like BHT. We pasturize most of our milk, eggs and other dairy products so they lose almost all of their nutritional value. And on top of all this junk many people take prescription drugs most of which are very dangerous.

Its a sad sad thing to see what greed does to people....People are dying every single day and many of us are blessed with acne because of the decisions of the american healthcare system and the FDA. Sorry i ranted but this topic gets me goin haha. If this interests you and you want to get pissed off about the FDA you should read, Natural Cures they don't want you to know about by Kevin Trudeau

I know a couple asian foreign exchange students who came here with 100% flawless skin. After a month here their faces both look like a freakin war zone. I feel terrible for them because they did nothing wrong, they were just exposed to american food

MemberMember

Posted : 10/12/2008 2:37 pm

Its because in most other countries there isnt an administration as corrupt as the FDA that let extremely dangerous chemicals in our water, food and prescription drugs. I mean from day 1 in America our bodies are given all sorts of dangerous vaccines (some which have been proven to cause autism). We drink water with sodium flouride and chlorine in it both which are very toxic. If you were to drink a couple milliliters of one either one of those chemicals at once, you would die. So how they hell could they be ok for you to drink over an entire lifetime? Also our foods are sprayed with countless pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and fertilizers most of which are petroleum based. Our meats are loaded with antibiotics, steroids and growth horomones like BHT. We pasturize most of our milk, eggs and other dairy products so they lose almost all of their nutritional value. And on top of all this junk many people take prescription drugs most of which are very dangerous.

Its a sad sad thing to see what greed does to people....People are dying every single day and many of us are blessed with acne because of the decisions of the american healthcare system and the FDA. Sorry i ranted but this topic gets me goin haha. If this interests you and you want to get pissed off about the FDA you should read, Natural Cures they don't want you to know about by Kevin Trudeau

I know a couple asian foreign exchange students who came here with 100% flawless skin. After a month here their faces both look like a freakin war zone. I feel terrible for them because they did nothing wrong, they were just exposed to american food

Yes, it is truly a shame what greed does to people. I have to admit this past month trying to figure out what to eat has been the hardest in my entire life (a statement I do not make lightly at all). thank god I have well water (fuck you FDA! ) I am also going to be buying ALL ORGANIC (I have read up on pesticides that are put into our foods...disgusting shit) and no more beef/pork for me. After lots of research I am absolutely disgusted with our health system in America, its absolute horseshit. No problem ranting, I don't mind it at all I do it too lol. The saddest part is that nobody in America will ever see the true benefits of holistically healing themselves because the doctors won't allow it. They continue to prescribe prescribe and prescribe some more, instead of saying 'stop eating mcdonalds every fucking day and get a grip on your health.' But of course..it gets them money. Ah it sucks haha.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/12/2008 2:43 pm

I'm mediterranean and have shit skin! In my house, we mostly follow the mediterranean diet and I still have acne. However, I do see your point. I've traveled all over Europe, and have noticed that majority of them have clear skin. I have two friends, one from Croatia and one from Germany. Neither one of them had acne, not even in their teens. Six months after they moved to the US, they broke out in acne. Its probably just a coincidence but go figure...

I'm sorry to hear that. There are exceptions with everything of course though...I wonder if the reason those exchange or foreign students break out so bad (not in your example but I have seen a few really bad cases myself of SEVERE acne) after coming to America is because they are very 'clean' or so to say 'weak' on the inside and the American diet is so harsh that its like poison to them. After eating so well for so long its easy for that system to be easily ruined in a month as opposed to us who while we still have acne it may not be as severe because our bodies have (tried) adapted somewhat to the shit we eat.

MemberMember
(@i-am-snow)

Posted : 10/12/2008 3:21 pm

The country with the highest life expectancy is Japan. If you are going to model someone's dieting, follow Japan's.

With that said, everyone suffers acne. I would go so far as to say Asians suffer more from acne here in America.

Our processed and mass-produced food is what causes acne.

MemberMember
(@glass-danse)

Posted : 10/12/2008 3:31 pm

The country with the highest life expectancy is Japan. If you are going to model someone's dieting, follow Japan's.

With that said, everyone suffers acne. I would go so far as to say Asians suffer more from acne here in America.

Our processed and mass-produced food is what causes acne.

I dont know if I would say cause, but certainly aggrivates. Portion sizes and lifestyles probably have effects as well.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/12/2008 8:53 pm

Japanese people normally eat small portions of everything (they have meals of a big variety and small bits of each) and they eat slowly. They eat fish every day almost and so that accounts for plenty of omega-3 fats in their diet. They also eat lots of cold pressed vegetable oils as well. They get loads of vegetables and the way they cook these veggies preserves maximum nutrients so they get the most from each meal.

go figure

MemberMember
(@john1234)

Posted : 10/12/2008 9:13 pm

HA!

The fact of the matter is, if you didn't have acne, these depressing comments about our government would not exist. You would be cluelessly eating hormone laden pesticide laden foods without caution, without a second thought. You would not have this huge agenda against the system. The fact of the matter is that most people do okay with this system--they really do. Only the minority of people who suffer are making these outrageous conspiracy arguments against our government. Yes, we have fat people and unhealthy people. But we also have the choice to be fat or not, to adopt the lifestyles that we seem best fit. No one is forcing ice cream up your mouth. You have the choice for organic. You can choose how you eat. You can do anything you want. That's the beauty of it. Suffering is believing. Only in suffering do you feel victimized by the america's trend of bad eating. If you didn't have acne, you would be happily eating "whole grains" and other supposed trigger foods like no other. Gotta keep perspective, even if you have acne.

MemberMember
(@jokerj)

Posted : 10/12/2008 9:24 pm

i agree with most of what you say except the vaccines causing autism

show me a real study proving that

MemberMember

Posted : 10/12/2008 10:42 pm

HA!

The fact of the matter is, if you didn't have acne, these depressing comments about our government would not exist. You would be cluelessly eating hormone laden pesticide laden foods without caution, without a second thought. You would not have this huge agenda against the system. The fact of the matter is that most people do okay with this system--they really do. Only the minority of people who suffer are making these outrageous conspiracy arguments against our government. Yes, we have fat people and unhealthy people. But we also have the choice to be fat or not, to adopt the lifestyles that we seem best fit. No one is forcing ice cream up your mouth. You have the choice for organic. You can choose how you eat. You can do anything you want. That's the beauty of it. Suffering is believing. Only in suffering do you feel victimized by the america's trend of bad eating. If you didn't have acne, you would be happily eating "whole grains" and other supposed trigger foods like no other. Gotta keep perspective, even if you have acne.

Maybe these guys, but I have long known of the bullshit they tell us through propaganda, even before (long before) I knew diet had anything to do with my appearance. This is not a political thread, don't bring your patriotism into it.

MemberMember
(@jokerj)

Posted : 10/13/2008 12:04 am

Mediterraneans, Asians, and Africans. You notice something about these guys? You don't really notice much acne with foreign countries, especially Asia and Mediterranean and African countries. So what is it about their diets that is so much better than ours? I think putting ourselves on a strict diet is too complicated. Why can't we just put ourselves on a foreign diet? For example if I went out and bought ONLY foods that you would find in Japan..Soba Noodles, asian veggies, etc., would that possibly work? I'll tell you one thing evrey single asian in my school is clear and the same goes for the Indians and other Asia Minor countries. Every single exchange student I've ever seen over here (my friends family hosts many exchange students) has been clear. So it must be something with their lifestyle. Has anybody known anybody or done this themselves and gotten results? Incorporating another countries diet?

also, people in other countries don't nessecarily have clear skin

don't know where you got that notion

darker african cultures tend to be clear, but descendents of darker african cultures tend to be clearer here as well

same goes for asians

im sure a more natural diet helps, and most foreign diets are more healthy than ours in general, but that doesn't mean they don't have any acne over there, maybe just slightly less

and who the hell knows? maybe all this stuff we're trying to do for our skin is what's causing the problem in the first place

or just modern conviences in general

but if you found out toilets caused acne, would you poo outside?

i'm not saying a lotta ppl wouldnt, but i dunno if i would

MemberMember
(@nikond70s)

Posted : 10/13/2008 12:48 am

the only foreign people that i think that does not have acne. are peoples that lives away from the cities. the ones that lives in the forrest,mountains places like that. and usually that means poor area's. and i think they dont have acne people there away from the city so that air is more clean and fresh. and there diets are really strict, because there poor and can only eat what they grow. also eating what they only grow are organic and really fresh and healthy, unlike our society we have fast food everywhere not a lot of things are fresh and some of the animals here are injected with hormones or whatevers and goes thru many chemical process before we can buy it so really its not fresh.

have you ever wonder why your face feels so much better when your at the beach,lakes/rivers or camping out soemewhere in the forest and your face feels so much better? then when you come home your face feels crappy again? because your away from the city away from all the polution, by the oceans and lakes the air is clean so therefore you feel so much better.

MemberMember
(@karma89)

Posted : 10/13/2008 1:39 am

Actually, I would say 95% of the people I know from my country don't have any form of acne. My entire family is blemish free, I'm the only one with acne. Interestingly, I'm the only one who applied topicals to my skin, the rest treated thiers with water and water only.

Brown people (indians) do have skin problems though, but its mostly kids from North America.

MemberMember
(@mountainman)

Posted : 10/13/2008 5:43 pm

HA!

i like your point but i have been going about this for years and i will continue to speak out against the FDA/pharma companies until the day i die. If i didnt have acne i will still continue to eat my vegitarian organic diet because I love the feeling i get when knowing the food i eat will properly nourish my body and allow me to be strong and disease free. I dont feel like going in to this whole healthcare thing anymore haha but yea you should get informed brother

MemberMember
(@mountainman)

Posted : 10/13/2008 5:52 pm

hmm no realy study but theres plenty of controversy...something that we are doing, whether it be the vaccines/pesticides/all that junk is fueling the ever increasing autism rates. Heres a few articles if your interested

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=32988

i have my doubts too, but mercury in vaccines? Thats jacked up...

MemberMember
(@jokerj)

Posted : 10/13/2008 9:28 pm

hmm no realy study but theres plenty of controversy...something that we are doing, whether it be the vaccines/pesticides/all that junk is fueling the ever increasing autism rates. Heres a few articles if your interested

i have my doubts too, but mercury in vaccines? Thats jacked up...

youre right about the mercury, but it's actually in tiny amounts, like that in fish

also, the definition of autism has widened, and awareness has increased

MemberMember

Posted : 10/14/2008 8:00 pm

Come on now...lets stop the arguing? Nobodys opinion is going to be changed. As for me and my opinions, I personally believe that the FDA and most of the government (if not all) is really just a big corrupt scheme and put very simply, bullshit. Do I expect you to believe what I do? No...so don't unless you feel the same as I. But anyways, the point of this thread was to point out things I've noticed and I have noticed (especially with Asians) that many foreign nations don't have half the acne of Americans, and there have been studies on people like Eskimos who had absolutely NO acne and hadn't the slightest clue what acne even was until they were introduced to the preservatives and nasty foods of modern day nations. So yes there is a link, you can't just say 'everybody gets acne' beause its not about that its about who gets it most and who gets it least. Its not really anything mroe than alloiwng some suggestions in for new foods.

MemberMember
(@blossomd)

Posted : 10/14/2008 9:06 pm

to easily get rid of ur acne, if ur wiling to go through the trouble is to live in one of these places for a while i guarantee it will be gone. A place with nice clean air and usually pretty poor.

MemberMember
(@bigsnack)
MemberMember
(@luizedu)

Posted : 10/09/2012 5:06 pm

Building on top of what's been said, my opinion is that acne (and many other health issues) is caused by a combination of:

a) A bad diet per se and the screwed up gut flora that arises as a consequence of it.

Furthermore, the gut flora is acquired from the envirnment and other people, especially your parents and through your mother's milk, so that if they had a bad diet - and therefore a bad gut flora - so will you, meaning that even if you eat well today, you gut flora may still not be as good as it should. That may be why many people benefit from probiotics and kefir.

b) Excess chemicals in food and water. Fluoride, for example, is not added into tap water in most european countries, which may explain why some people claim to have met europeans who first had acne when living in the US.

MemberMember
(@peony7)

Posted : 10/09/2012 6:06 pm

For me I think it has been

1) Over-eating - this is easy to do when you don't put on weight easily

2) Wrong type of exercise and sometimes lack of exercise

3) Eating meals that were not balanced properly and resulted in rapid high blood sugar

4) Screwed up circadian rhythms

5) Stress

Dealing with these massively helps and I suspect other cultures might well be living a lifestyle that keeps all these in check

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 10/24/2012 9:51 am

For me I think it has been

1) Over-eating - this is easy to do when you don't put on weight easily

2) Wrong type of exercise and sometimes lack of exercise

3) Eating meals that were not balanced properly and resulted in rapid high blood sugar

4) Screwed up circadian rhythms

5) Stress

Dealing with these massively helps and I suspect other cultures might well be living a lifestyle that keeps all these in check

This is pretty much the complete list of all the reasons why I believe I'm still getting acne despite having a 'perfect' diet for quite a while. I'm going to try to focus on these now, although they're much more challenging in today's everyday life than merely fine-tuning your diet. I sometimes find it incredibly unfair that in the old days and in some cultures still, the way of living was such that these factors all effortlessly worked out for people and they didn't have to give a single thought to acne. But I have to have the acne-prone genes and live in this society where I need to push hard to obtain the right kind of lifestyle not to have acne, and still just the mere effort is probably stressing me enough that I still get it.

Although, despite my best efforts, I've never actually managed to get to the level where my exercise, portion sizes, meal composition, stress levels, circadian rhythm and quantity and quality of sleep are all so well-managed that I wouldn't expect to have acne. I'm not one of the super humans who have such control over their lives, and I'm not sure if I can ever achieve this. sad.png Also, it's quite a neurotic way of living. Maybe I should just leave everything behind and join a monastery in the mountains etc, that would probably help.