Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chipperf

Could Y'all Give Me Some Advice

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to this forum, but I was hoping you could help me. I have two problems at the moment: Acne and Folliculitus. We'll start with Acne!!

Here's everything I do to "help" my Acne:

In the mornings:

AcneFree Steps #1,2 and 3 (#3 is a 10% BP) along with a SPF 55 face sunscreen (Walgreens Brand)

After the Gym (around 3 -6pm)

Use Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Power Cream wash followed by Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment (both contain 2% SA)

At Night before Bed:

AcneFree Steps #1,2 followed by Differin .1% (Differin is AMAZING!! in my opinion)

On occasion, I will use the Neutrogena Pore Clearing Mask after I shave ( I know I know, I'm a guy using a mask, but hell, I'm so desperate to get rid of this stuff that I would do ANYTHING!)

Now, for oral antibiotics and vitamins:

One tablet twice a day: Doxicycline 50MG (I think that is the right strength)

Three tablets once a day: Hair skin and nails Vitamins

Two tablets once a day: Flintstones Multivitamins (Taste so good :) )

One tablet once a day: Singular 10MG (didn't think that was important but just in case)

In addition, I always make sure to drink between 8 - 10 of the Dasani 20oz water bottles a day, however, I don't add lemons or anything. Just straight water.

What I eat:

Whenever I go to the gym, I usually eat between 1 and 2 Powerbars, which are Chocolate flavored, and I usually drink a Sports Drink that I make including (8 Teaspoons of Sugar, 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt, and a powder Koolaid Package)

I'm not big on Fruits and Vegetables, and I know that's bad, but its whatever, I can't help it.

Here is what I have decided recently: The dermatologist I was seeing was unaware what she was doing, so I decided to "self-medicate myself" using on the Doxicycline she prescribed, simply because it works.

I purchased today, the Neutrogena Rapid Clear pads, to be switched out with the Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Wash and Treatment system, just because I know if I use something to frequently, that it will be come use to it. I'm pretty sure they both contain the same 2% SA.

Here is what I've noticed: My skin responds well to the SA, better than the BP, and is less red when and while the SA is being used. However, I still get break outs with the BP, but the SA seems to help clear them up, which is why I decided to use both, and just wash 3 times a day instead. Which, surprisingly, instead of producing more breakouts, has actually cleared up my skin. The only thing I have been wondering, is there a stronger strength SA I can get than 2%, because I'm pretty sure that that would clear everything up.

Some side notes:

I do use the Steam Room when I go to the Gym (Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday)

I will occasionally use Clean & Clear oil Blotting Sheets, because my face is quite oily

I have seriously been trying hard to NOT pick at my skin

What am I doing wrong? What could I do better?

Does anyone have any recommendations? Suggestions?

I guess my Acne isn't too bad.. but its still there, a constant reminder that I'm not obtaining the perfect skin I want.

Now for the Second Problem: Folliculitus

Here what's going on: Its mostly spread out over my arms, and a small amount over my back: I have been using BenzaClean (or however you spell it) to clean up the problem, and its been working pretty well. But today, I just went and bought Nizoral shampoo and spread it over my arms for about 5 minutes. I can tell its working, bu I'm going to continue to apply the BenzaClean and see what happens.

Any suggestions? Recommendations?

Thanks everyone for looking at my post and giving any ideas or suggestions!

I really appreciate any advice anyone can give me!

And Dan, your amazing for making this site!

Thanks again!

See, the only thing I forgot to add though, is that for a long time, since I started on Acne Medication, my face has been horribly red. In the mornings when I wake up, and some times when there isn't any medications on it, it becomes a normal color. However, the pharmacist and dermatologists couldn't figure out if it was related to the fact that the medication made me sunsensitive, so the put me on a sunscreen, or if my skin was just irritated. Maybe I'll try going without the sun screen and see what happens!

Anyone know how to get rid of redness, by the way?

See, the only thing I forgot to add though, is that for a long time, since I started on Acne Medication, my face has been horribly red. In the mornings when I wake up, and some times when there isn't any medications on it, it becomes a normal color. However, the pharmacist and dermatologists couldn't figure out if it was related to the fact that the medication made me sunsensitive, so the put me on a sunscreen, or if my skin was just irritated. Maybe I'll try going without the sun screen and see what happens!

Anyone know how to get rid of redness, by the way?

well there are several reddness soluctions offered from companys such as clinique... however most say it works but some find it makes them break out as it leaves then unable to use there normal clensers ect (with out over washing)....

there are a fair few homemade reddness reducing methods such as eggwhite mask etc

peronsly ive just started using ACV (apple civer vingar) well for around a week now.... its mostly used by people to help get rid of red marks (the reason i started using it again) and its greatly improved my redness not sure if its just a temp soluction for redness yet though but i noticed an improvment with my redness after just a few days

you could use make up... this hides redness perfectly, with just using a thin layer (as long as its a good brand) although as a guy ive found no one has noticed ive been wearing make up unless i tell them (that was my biggest concern when using make up is that if done wrong it realy shows your using it)