Notifications
Clear all

The Solution to Hypertrophic Scarring - THE VINEGAR EXPERIMENT

MemberMember
(@peanutbutterbrother)

Posted : 10/10/2008 1:43 am

Lets cut the introduction, lets cut the drama of past failures of trying to get rid of hypertrophic scars, and lets get down straight to business...

THE SOLUTION

What you need:

1) White Distilled Vinegar

2) Q-Tip

3) Aloe Vera

4) Antibacterial Cream

5) About 1-2 weeks of downtime (unless you dont mind going out in public while its healing)

The steps to getting rid of it:

1) Dip the Q-Tip in the vinegar

2) Apply the Q-Tip against the hypertrophic scar and rub against it for about 10 seconds

3) Use the dry side of the Q-Tip and rub the vinegar nice even onto the scar. Dont be shy about it, rub against it firmly, not hard, but firmly enough to where you're not bending the Q-Tip. It is important that you do this in order to penetrate this scar and get into it. Do this for about 10 seconds as well.

4) Redip the vinger side of the Q-Tip into the vinegar and reapply it onto the scar with just as much firmness as you did with the dry side, but do it for about 30 seconds.

5) If you're doing it right, the scar will become white, or encircled by a white line. You may also bleed (this may not happen the first few times) but all of this is just signs that you're on the right path.

6) Apply Aloe Vera and/or Antibacterial Cream to the bump about 15-20 minutes after you're done. You should expect scabs, BUT DONT PICK AT IT, YOU MAY SCAR. Let theese creams do the "picking" for you.

Do this twice a day for about a week, or until you feel the bump has dissapated. Here's how my process went, I am currently on day 8.

day 1) nothing

day 2) nothing

day 3) texture of bump becomes scabbed, but otherwise nothing

day 4) stays scabbed with no signs of improvement

day 5) bump is really red. and after applying vinegar in the evening, for the first time, theres a little bleeding (and from there on out there would be bleeding everytime I applied the white distilled viengar).

day 6) wake up in the morning with a red marked bump. I mean, BRIGHT RED. Its still hard to tell whether the bump has eroded or not because of the scabby surface. It did feel a little smaller. In the evening, I bleed a lot. I decide to apply aloe vera 10 minutes after due to this (from here on out I applied aloe vera)

day 7) Groundhog Day. See day 6.

day 8) MILESTONE DAY. Today is day 8. The bump looks terrible, perhaps even worse than it did before. But I realize that the bump is no longer hypertrophic. It only feels hypertrophic because of the dry scab formed. The Bump is GONE, but the scabby, red, inflamed, remains. It looks like its going to take at least a couple weeks for it to be gone. I still intend on applying aloe vera from here on out until i feel its gone, but I am done applying the white distilled vinegar.

I am not the first one to do this vinegar experiment. And all of those who tried it before me were 100% satisfied with the results. Please be patient with the process.

Day 1 - Before

Day 8, Healing not Complete

Though it remains unsightly, the healing is not complete. I will apply neosporin and aloe vera from here on out until it completely heals. Otherwise, you can tell the hypertrophic scar is no longer hypertrophic.

2nd Round - done twice a day from 11/25/08-11/30/08

I've been applying a lot of aloe vera and then anti-bacterial cream. And I intend on doing this twice a day until that bright redness subsides, and the "wound" heals.

EDIT: DONT USE ALOE VERA OR ANTI-BACTERIAL CREAM TO THE AFFECTED AREA. IT IS TECHNICALLY AN OPEN WOUND. APPLY HYDROCORTISONE CREAM INSTEAD.

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@peanutbutterbrother)

Posted : 10/10/2008 1:55 am

Oh yea, and for those who are hesitant, I will be posting after pictures in the imminent future to prove to you that there wont be any signs of scarring after its all said and done.

MemberMember
(@kichiku)

Posted : 10/10/2008 1:59 pm

Interesting. Is there any chance of this method working to flatten the appearance of an indented scar? Or does it only work on hypertrophic ones?

MemberMember
(@peanutbutterbrother)

Posted : 10/11/2008 1:28 am

Interesting. Is there any chance of this method working to flatten the appearance of an indented scar? Or does it only work on hypertrophic ones?

Well the vinegar is a mild acid. So its purpose is to, for a lack of better words, "eat away the skin". I know that sounds bad, but it does this at a controlled pace. Thats why it would work for hypertrophic scars, because it erodes them with its mild acid. So to answer your question, no, I dont think an atrophic scar would be benefited from this experiment.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/28/2008 9:02 pm

any pics of progress? it's been about a month right?

MemberMember
(@bruin74)

Posted : 10/30/2008 3:09 am

I'm essentially trying this method, but using apple cider vinegar instead. I highly agree with you, the longer you hold the Q tip down on the scar, the more effect there seems to be. I'm very excited as this seems to speed up the process of scar tissue depletion. I was rubbing it rather superficially on the tops of the scars for the past 3 or so months, but it was very slow process. Holding the q tip on the scar directly, firmly pushing down, wow, i noticed differences quick. i should note that you should take delayed release vitamin C from nature made or somethin to that effect to help replenish the collagen matrix below.

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@dacat)

Posted : 10/30/2008 6:59 pm

didn't do shit for me.. but if it works for you great. i also did lemon juice and did all the rubbing etc. depressed acne scars btw.

MemberMember
(@its-not-acne)

Posted : 11/01/2008 7:36 pm

try eating alot of peanuts, that works for strenthening the healing process... im trying it now...

Peanuts because of all the Vitamin E, that is more the skin... I dont really recommend home remedies either, because of the risk... ask a dermatologist(that doesnt recommend surgery all the time) for more info...

FINALLY... LEMON IS A NATURAL BLEACH THAT HELPS PPL(WITH LIGHT SKIN BUT WITH A HYPERTROPHIC SCAR) become lighter, because of the acid... I havent tried it but i hear it works very slow

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@dancing_girl)

Posted : 11/28/2008 1:27 am

Has anyone else tried this for hypertropic scars? I am very curious but it sounds too good to be true...

MemberMember
(@ghet)

Posted : 11/29/2008 12:55 pm

Has anyone else tried this for hypertropic scars? I am very curious but it sounds too good to be true...

i've just try this method when bruin posted his results 1 year ago.

in my case i've only a temporary filling of the scars..but after 2/3 week everything turn the same..

hi to all.

MemberMember
(@soundofsilence)

Posted : 11/29/2008 1:16 pm

i've just try this method when bruin posted his results 1 year ago.

in my case i've only a temporary filling of the scars..but after 2/3 week everything turn the same..

hi to all.

hi to you to ghet.. :D Im curious, in your post you mentioned a "temporary filling" of your scars- it sounds like you tried this method for atrophic (indented) scarring? I'm not sure if you noticed, but this method is for hypertrophic scarring , in other words..raised scars.

on a side note: a while back there was a topic about using vinegar for indented scarring, which I tried...to make a long story short..be careful, as I was left with even larger burned out scar craters which required many excisions. I was none too happy.<_<

MemberMember
(@ninjazx)

Posted : 11/29/2008 10:32 pm

so has anyone done this for hypertrophic scars yet?

I have very similar scars as the op's on my nose

MemberMember
(@beauty-and-brains)

Posted : 12/01/2008 7:19 am

HEY PPL PLZ HELP ME OUT!!!! I have a veryyy mild acne ...my skin is just oily and i have a few tiny spots at times on da areas near my nose on both sides.....the prob is the oily skin...so i took roaccutane the first time for 2.5 months some years bak and it cleared my skin like perfect in weeks and i contined on a 20mg perdday.(I FORCED MY DOC TO PRESCRIBE IT)..experienced hair loss and dry lips and skin were easilly dealt wid ..now in dese years i had a good skin but oily to some extent..i got a few spots due to face threading which actually wasnt required but i always want things to be perfect so that gave me spots prolly cuz of contact dermititis!and i felt like i shd go on a 2.5 month course again and i am but wid no prescription! NOW THE QUESTION IS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,im a medical student and i have my finals after 20 days ...am already done wid a month (20mg per day)I started loosin some hair days bak and i have a feelin of tiredness!now im not sure if this is due to studyin all day long or da drugg????MUM TELLS ME TO STOP>..my exams wud be from 15dec till mid jan! MY skin now only and only has pores on the cheek area visible from a very close distance else its a normal skin!!!SHD I STOP ??? OR NO? DOES THE TIREDNESS HAS SUMFIN TO DO WID ROACC?DOES IT EFFECT UR MEMORY!!! BTW MED EXAMS ARE TUFF CUZ U NEED TO STAY AWAKE DURIN THE PAPERS!

MemberMember
(@peanutbutterbrother)

Posted : 12/01/2008 1:02 pm

Okay, the first time around, when I posted this thread, the white distilled vinegar minimized it, but never completely got rid of it. I didn't want to post pics, because even though I realized it was minimized, most of you would still see a hypertrophic scar and feel discouraged. Anyway, I recently tried to go a second round with this to completely get rid of it, and my nose is nearly entirely flat from where the scar use to be. The first time around, I probably didn't get the results I wanted because I stopped to quickly. I should applied the vinegar at least for a few more days.

Anyway, this time around I applied it twice a day for about 5-6 days. The bump looked terrible. A lot of bleeding, and it turned really white. I thought I messed up my skin. Anyway, it looks a lot better now even though it's still really red. But nonetheless, its healing, and more importantly, it is no longer hypertrophic.

This is the best angle I can show you, to prove how much it eroded.

But as aforementioned, the area still is red though.

I'll be sure to post pictures once this heals.

Melloman liked
MemberMember
(@ghet)

Posted : 12/01/2008 4:35 pm

excuse me.. i tried for atrophic scars.

MemberMember
(@dacat)

Posted : 12/01/2008 7:43 pm

HEY PPL PLZ HELP ME OUT!!!! I have a veryyy mild acne ...my skin is just oily and i have a few tiny spots at times on da areas near my nose on both sides.....the prob is the oily skin...so i took roaccutane the first time for 2.5 months some years bak and it cleared my skin like perfect in weeks and i contined on a 20mg perdday.(I FORCED MY DOC TO PRESCRIBE IT)..experienced hair loss and dry lips and skin were easilly dealt wid ..now in dese years i had a good skin but oily to some extent..i got a few spots due to face threading which actually wasnt required but i always want things to be perfect so that gave me spots prolly cuz of contact dermititis!and i felt like i shd go on a 2.5 month course again and i am but wid no prescription! NOW THE QUESTION IS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,im a medical student and i have my finals after 20 days ...am already done wid a month (20mg per day)I started loosin some hair days bak and i have a feelin of tiredness!now im not sure if this is due to studyin all day long or da drugg????MUM TELLS ME TO STOP>..my exams wud be from 15dec till mid jan! MY skin now only and only has pores on the cheek area visible from a very close distance else its a normal skin!!!SHD I STOP ??? OR NO? DOES THE TIREDNESS HAS SUMFIN TO DO WID ROACC?DOES IT EFFECT UR MEMORY!!! BTW MED EXAMS ARE TUFF CUZ U NEED TO STAY AWAKE DURIN THE PAPERS!

:) i luv the way u talk. is that chav -speak? i don thunk med students are allowed to be chavs.

just kiddin. i only know that some complain of depression with that. i never had any mental thing with it, but everyone is different.

MemberMember
(@ninjazx)

Posted : 12/02/2008 3:23 am

wow does results are amazing! Ill give this a try when I get a chance

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/02/2008 7:15 pm

only problem is the red mark then...was your red mark starting to go away before you started reapplying the vinegar? cuz i have a pretty big red mark right now, since i applied vinegar to 2 bumps on my nose that were side by side. been putting mederma on it 3 times a day, but i don't know if it'll actually do anything.

think hydrocortisone would do anything for the redness? seemed to work on my eczema...then again that's totally different.

MemberMember
(@peanutbutterbrother)

Posted : 12/03/2008 12:25 am

only problem is the red mark then...was your red mark starting to go away before you started reapplying the vinegar? cuz i have a pretty big red mark right now, since i applied vinegar to 2 bumps on my nose that were side by side. been putting mederma on it 3 times a day, but i don't know if it'll actually do anything.

think hydrocortisone would do anything for the redness? seemed to work on my eczema...then again that's totally different.

The first time around, I had the exact same red mark after I stopped applying the vinegar. I don't remember exactly, but I believe the redness subsided in a week or two. Before I did this the second time around, my bump looked exactly as it did before, only smaller and slightly more flat. And judging from the way its healing right now, I'm headed in the same direction, except with much better results. In the meantime, I've been applying aloe vera as wel as anti-bacterial cream both, twice a day, giving the aloe vera about 10-15 minutes to dry before applying the anti-bacterial cream (something like neosporin in case you're confused). If you don't want to take this route for subsiding the redness, which I frankly wouldnt understand why, I suggest takling the mark just like you would any other wound. Think of it as a cut that the skin will heal over. I'm not sure about those products you mentioned, so I don't want to give you an answer on that, perhaps you should ask someone else or a dermatologist preferablly. Either way, I think the anti-bacterial cream and aloe vera is your safest, and best bet.

MemberMember
(@peanutbutterbrother)

Posted : 12/05/2008 6:01 am

sorry figotron, I have mislead you. I went to a dermatologist today, and they mentioned that using aloe vera and neosporin isn't the way to go. It's technically an open wound, so you need to apply, as you mentioned, hydrocortisone cream. They swtiched me to that today. And that goes for everybody whose trying this!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/05/2008 9:06 pm

i did a bit of research, and i've found that you're not supposed to put hydrocortisone on an open wound...did you mean just for getting rid of the redness after you've completed a week of the vineger experiment?

MemberMember
(@peanutbutterbrother)

Posted : 12/05/2008 9:57 pm

i did a bit of research, and i've found that you're not supposed to put hydrocortisone on an open wound...did you mean just for getting rid of the redness after you've completed a week of the vineger experiment?

really? The head dermatologist specifically said to apply hydrocortisone cream, although he did seem to be a bit of a nut. Where did you find this information?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/05/2008 10:15 pm

just googled "hydrocortisone open wound" without quotes. *shrug*

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/09/2008 7:30 pm

have you been using the hydrocortisone? are you noticing a difference compared to neosporin? i realize it's still early, but i was just wondering. i just started "round 2".

MemberMember
(@ninjazx)

Posted : 12/10/2008 2:02 am

maybe your dermo meant to say to use the hydrocortisone for the redness after the wound is closed. Ive never heard of it being used for open wounds either