Notifications
Clear all

Longterm Accutane Side-Effects

MemberMember
(@zha)

Posted : 04/01/2004 1:04 am

Hi all. smile.gif

I'm sure that this has already been discussed plenty of times, but *cough* I'm a newbie, and I haven't been able to find much, so... hopefully somebody will at least point me at the relevant threads. smile.gif ...especially since I'm about to begin my treatment with Accutane. 8-[

I know that Accutane tends to make people heal more slowly, but does that side-effect usually last for more than a year or so after one finishes treatment? :-s

Also, anyone know of anybody who's gone psychotic as a result of Accutane? I saw that in the side-effects profile thingy, and it kinda freaked me out.

Thanks....

MemberMember
(@zha)

Posted : 04/03/2004 5:59 pm

bump.

Aw, c'mon... please? O:) Surely somebody has more of a clue than me.

MemberMember
(@kdgulle)

Posted : 04/04/2004 12:27 am

I don't know about long term side effects since I am still on it. The side effects I have are dry lips, dry skin, itchy scalp (not so much anymore), Some tiredness but there are other factors included, and my face is really red on my cheeks. I am not depressed because I am on accutane. More that my face was broken out so bad I didn't feel like going out. I am not depressed anymore. My face is 70% that it was when I started.

MemberMember
(@zha)

Posted : 04/04/2004 2:18 am

Thanks for responding. smile.gif

I'm glad you've had such great success with accutane so far. How long have you been taking it?

The side effects you've described don't sound so bad, but still, they're not the sort of things one would want to get stuck with for life. I've heard that they often last for a while, but I dunno.

smile.gif

MemberMember
(@kdgulle)

Posted : 04/04/2004 11:28 am

I am going on my third month. I don't think I'm going to have these side effects for life. I do have days where nothing is wrong or I can't even tell I'm on it. Like I said most of my side effects are going away already. I don't have itch skin and scalp all the time. It all depends.

MemberMember
(@zocor_40)

Posted : 04/04/2004 12:41 pm

All the side effects i had (dryness only) went away after a week or 2 and I would say that my skin was bak to normal a month or 2 after finishing healing wise.

I have never known any 1 to go psycho whil on it

It cleared me 100% both times I have used it, pitty it didnt last though

MemberMember
(@jamesbooker)

Posted : 04/05/2004 1:15 am

"Also, anyone know of anybody who's gone psychotic as a result of Accutane?"

i heard that osama bin laden use to take it ..lol . No men , not mental institute you will need smile.gif

MemberMember
(@zha)

Posted : 04/05/2004 2:33 am

Thanks Zocor, it's good to hear that all the side-effects from accutane seem to go away eventually. Very reassuring, thanks. smile.gif

MemberMember
(@zha)

Posted : 04/05/2004 2:38 am

\"Also, anyone know of anybody who's gone psychotic as a result of Accutane?\"

i heard that osama bin laden use to take it ..lol .

MemberMember
(@animal)

Posted : 04/05/2004 8:58 am

I took accutane and it made me flip out wicked sick on everyone like a ninja, they were owned.

MemberMember
(@zha)

Posted : 04/06/2004 1:17 am

LOL, Animal! biggrin.gif

If only I could be so fortunate... biggrin.gif

MemberMember
(@want2bkleer)

Posted : 04/09/2004 9:22 am

Hi People,

Well, I just joined this site after months of just reading through random threads. I actually have taken Accutane TWICE!! The first time it kind of made it worse and I wasn't able to go back on the second cycle right away (insurance probs), so I waited another year and went back on it. Both times, I had minor side effects such as joint pain and dryness of the nose and lips, but nothing more than that. Well the second time was awesome, I was CLEAR, took it for 5-months. That was in the beginning of 2002 and now 2 years later, actually just this past December I have started to break out AGAIN!! WHT THE FFF???? ITS NOT as bad as it used to be but I really didn't think it would ever come back!! I don tknow what to do!! Its so hard to have clear skin and then have it get mest up again. I am seriously debating whether to take this a THIRD TIME!! Friends and family are strongly against it.

Has anyone had a similar experience with acne returning after a few years??????? my derm had said that some peopel stay clear FOREVER, some DONT. i guess i might be one of those UNCLEAR FOREVER ones.

So, my suggestion to someone thinking about Accutane is that you SHOULD DEFINITELY GO ON IT. IT REALLY WILL MAKE a DIFFERENCE, it may not be PERMANENT but your break outs wont COME back as bad as they were pre-ACCUTANE.

ANyways, anyone with a similar Accutane experience as mine, please reply.

MemberMember
(@skunkanansie)

Posted : 04/09/2004 10:07 am

This board has a lot of information on accutane.

www.clearskin.net

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 06/16/2021 6:17 pm

On 4/3/2004 at 11:59 PM, zha said:

bump.

Aw, c'mon... please? O:) Surely somebody has more of a clue than me.

isotretinoin is a really scary drug, lethal I'd say. I would not recommend it to anyone.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6431453/Thousands-prescribed-Roaccutane-theres-disturbing-evidence-leave-men-suicidal.html

Not as rare s you might think - possibly s high as 30% according to one research paper. If your derm tells you anything else you shouldn't put your trust in them.