Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good gentle cleanser, but is seems that almost every cleanser for acne-prone skin contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Google shows that most people agree that SLS is comedogenic. I'm the first to admit that this isn't a very reliable source, but i don't want to take any chances.

Can anyone give me some advice concerning SLS?

No Sodium Laureth Sulfate is fine. Its Sodium Lauryl Sulfate that is comedogenic. I know they are spelled similarly but they are different ingredients. My advice is dont use cleansers or shampoos that contain this ingredient especially if you are acne prone and or have sensitive skin

You should look at all natural brands/fully holistic brand where they use no chemicals...

My girlfriend uses those.. her skin glows and her hair is amazing... :) <3

Dr.Hauschka is a good brand.. Trifle expensive but are more gentle than chemical filled products...

My current cleanser has an ingredient SLS..I've been using it for 5 weeks and the result,..no more breakouts... :dance:

My shampoo and conditioner have Sodium Laureth Sulfate as the second ingredient and I tend to break out along my hair line. Maybe that could be the culprit but I am still testing it.

Yes, it's so bloody confusing ! Most of cleansing brands claim that their washes are very gentle and could be used even for sensitive skin and they even clearly state that their stuff is non-comedogenic(including Cetaphil and Purpose) while on the other hand you find many websites and people who warn your that the SLS is skin-irritating and comedogenic, so who the hell should we believe ?

Hey ziggy, where are you from? here in the uk there is a brand called "Simple" face washes, moisturisers etc. And the wash contains sodium laureth sulfate, I use this and it doesnt cause me any spots so I would say its ok. Dunno about the other one though.

What can I use for itchy dry scalp. Head and shoulders breaks me out and selsun blue doesnt seem to be working.

Try an oatmeal rinse, it works wonders and it's cheap.