Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trophyGF

Pregnenolone and Saw Palmetto

Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting, although I have been a reader of this forum for a few years. I just wanted to let everyone know how I have finally managed to control a severe case of cystic acne that has been reoccurring since I was a teenager. I am now 22.

Over the last 3 months, my skin erupted into the worse case of cystic acne I had ever had. I have been to dermatologists, an endocrinologist, two women's health doctors, and my gynecologist. I had two blood tests done through Life Extension (you can find them online at www.lef.com). I took these blood tests to my doctors and I was diagnosed with hormonal acne due to high testosterone and low estrogen levels. I was given an oral antibiotic along with Differin and several different facial cleansers and topical treatments. I did blue light therapy and Isolaz as well. Everyone gave me something new to try, and I was completely open to any and all suggestions. Nothing seemed to be working. I already have a super healthy lifestyle. I exercise, eat very healthy, and take a full regimen of vitamins and supplements. I don’t worry about money or working, so I have no stress. So none of the traditional "cut out sugar, exercise, and lower stress" methods was relevant for me. I was absolutely ready for Accutane, but I was waiting to get in to see my obgyn in order to get birth control pills, the first step in the process of obtaining Accutane.

Finally, I decided to call Life Extension and discuss my problem with one of their doctors. Her immediate recommendation was for me to begin taking 50 to 100mg of Pregnenolone and 325mg of Saw Palmetto a day in order to help balance my hormones. In two days, my skin was probably 50% clearer. A week later, I HAD NO ACNE!!! My skin is completely clear, with the exception of post acne marks that I can now begin to focus on eliminating (I think I am going to do a series of salicylic acid peels.) Sight unseen, she had completely cleared my condition.

If you look up Pregnenolone on the internet, many sites claim it can cause acne. However, because of the hormonal problems my body was facing, it completely cleared my acne. So if you are a female who has a low estrogen and high testosterone level (you can have a 'female hormone panel' blood test done to determine if this is the case) I would definitely try this. The results were so quick, and it is all natural. No harsh drugs! And it absolutely worked for me

I was also diagnosed with this same hormonal imbalance many years ago by my gyn. Does the Pregnenolone and Saw Palmetto have any effect on your sex drive or mood? Thinking about trying this. Any particular brand you buy? So many of the supplements can vary so much in potency/effectiveness.

I havent had any problems with a loss of sex drive, headaches, or anything of that nature. I havent noticed any negative side effects. I still have the occassional breakout, but it is very minor in comparison to what I used to have. I buy all of my vitamins/supplements through Life Extension (lef.org) because of the high quality of their products, but I am sure you can find the supplements at your local health store. I know I have seen saw palmetto at Whole Foods. Good Luck! Let me know if it works for you.

I've also been diagnosed with a hormonal imbalance and my Dr. put me on Yasmin. It has helped to some extent but I still break out in cysts (and ONLY cysts) on my left cheek. I just found Saw Palmetto in my stash of Vitamins (that I never use) but it doesn't say the strenght. It's by Nature's Bounty, Standardized Extract, EXTRA STRENGTH. How much is extra strength I have no idea.

Also, I've read online that it can interfere with BCP's. Are you currently on any bcps??

I was also diagnosed with this same hormonal imbalance many years ago by my gyn. Does the Pregnenolone and Saw Palmetto have any effect on your sex drive or mood? Thinking about trying this. Any particular brand you buy? So many of the supplements can vary so much in potency/effectiveness.

I havent had any problems with a loss of sex drive, headaches, or anything of that nature. I havent noticed any negative side effects. I still have the occassional breakout, but it is very minor in comparison to what I used to have. I buy all of my vitamins/supplements through Life Extension (lef.org) because of the high quality of their products, but I am sure you can find the supplements at your local health store. I know I have seen saw palmetto at Whole Foods. Good Luck! Let me know if it works for you.

Good to hear you have not experience any of side effects. I just order a bottle and i hope :pray: it will help with chin acne plus thinning hair :wall: it sucks being a woman. I hope you stay well and all breakouts go away!

I've also been diagnosed with a hormonal imbalance and my Dr. put me on Yasmin. It has helped to some extent but I still break out in cysts (and ONLY cysts) on my left cheek. I just found Saw Palmetto in my stash of Vitamins (that I never use) but it doesn't say the strenght. It's by Nature's Bounty, Standardized Extract, EXTRA STRENGTH. How much is extra strength I have no idea.

Also, I've read online that it can interfere with BCP's. Are you currently on any bcps??

I was also on yasmin for about 5 months, and I personally didnt have great results. I am not on the pill now. Saw Palmetto works to lower testosterone levels...I'm not sure whether or not it would interfere with the effectiveness of the pill. You may want to make a quick call to your Dr's office just to be safe. Good luck!

I may have to send you a cyber drink if this supplement combination works!!! And lucky you, you're only 22. I'm now 41 and just found out about my "slightly elevated level of testosterone" which has cause me so much grief over the years. I've been on several different brands of birth control, RetinA, antibiotics, two courses of Accutane, and laser treatements. After switching doctors (yet again), we discovered the hormonal imbalance (heaven forbid any of the other doctors would have thought to do a blood test before pumping me up with all kinds of drugs). Anyway, I did just try going on Spironolactone which is supposed to be an androgen blocker. I had some funky side effects, like irregular menstrual bleeding and UTIs, so that was discontinued (but it did help the cystic acne). I just stated the Saw Palmetto and Pregnenolone -- fingers are crossed!!! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

RoseB358

:pray:

I may have to send you a cyber drink if this supplement combination works!!! And lucky you, you're only 22. I'm now 41 and just found out about my "slightly elevated level of testosterone" which has cause me so much grief over the years. I've been on several different brands of birth control, RetinA, antibiotics, two courses of Accutane, and laser treatements. After switching doctors (yet again), we discovered the hormonal imbalance (heaven forbid any of the other doctors would have thought to do a blood test before pumping me up with all kinds of drugs). Anyway, I did just try going on Spironolactone which is supposed to be an androgen blocker. I had some funky side effects, like irregular menstrual bleeding and UTIs, so that was discontinued (but it did help the cystic acne). I just stated the Saw Palmetto and Pregnenolone -- fingers are crossed!!! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

RoseB358

Well, i certainly hope it works for you as well as it has for me. Just a note for anyone who is trying this out, I dont take anything without first talking with my dr. Luckily, I have an incredible dr who specializes in women's health, and believes in trying hollistic healing before drugs.

UPDATE: after three weeks on my program, I dropped my dose from 50-100mg of pregnenolone down to 25-50 mg a day. I just switch off every other day, 25 one day, 50 the next. Soon I'll try doing only 25 a day and see if that works. Also, I take one saw palmetto every other day. I've been doing this for several weeks, and my skin is looking amazing.

Is the pregnenolone thing a prescription or can you get it online?

And pregnenolone is a supplement, not a prescriptive drug. But you need to talk to your dr about the causes of your acne before going on it. if you do not have high testosterone, this combination could worsen your acne. Its too complicated for me to type in detail all the reasons, so just trust me. Good luck to all trying this!!!!

RoseB358

...btw, I feel your pain. I have tried everything possible short of accutane. When I started breaking out so horribly several months ago, I dropped $2500 in 2 months trying to cure it with anything I could find. I actually had the blood test done through LEF (the company I get all my vitamins from), and took it into my Doctors office. Otherwise, who knows how long it would have taken, or how much more money I would have spent, trying to solve this issue. I really hope this works for you. Keep me updated

Hi all,

i also suffer from hormal cystic acne. Last summer it got really bad, after 3 months in a row of going to the derm for coritsone injections,he advised me to try Yaz (a lower estrogen dose form of yasmin). It worked great for my skin, but after being on it for several months i lost 100% of my sex drive, so i stopped taking it a month ago. Cystic acne came back like clockwork. I went to a chinese herbalist who recommended milk thistle and mushroom powder. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks for sharing this! I highly suspect I have a hormone imbalance but none of my doctors seem interested in addressing that with me. I have an appointment with an OBGYN to ask her for a blood test in hopes that I can get it for cheaper by using my insurance. If she's an uncooperative as my primary care doctor and my dermatologist I'll probably end up buying one online. What specific tests did you get from LEF? Can anyone else recommend a hormone test to buy online?

I am going to have some saw palmetto.i masturbate 3 times a week and now i'm going to stop it cause i heard that it will end up with excessive DHT and i wish saw palmetto work for me because it blocks DHT some way.i will tell you if it has anything to do with my acne.thank you

I tried Saw Palmetto before and it didn't work... I think I'll look at the "pregnenolone" you mentioned and update you guys.

Is this safe? I know pregnenolone is a steriod. In general people think of somethig bad when they hear a word steriod.

It sounds very innocent, but if it has effect of memory and vision (improving both) it's quite a strong thing to take.

Oh, how's your skin now? Are you still clear? :)

I will not take it myself, because I am clear but i like to research for a friend of mine who wants to take Accuatne but I won't let her :naughty: