Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yvette4944

Hoping this is the cure-FINISHED!!!

Hello all. I'm on day 2 of Accutane.

To be totally honest, I had never heard of it until my Derm suggested we try it, so I did my research (by lurking around this site!) and decided to give it a try. I've read the horror stories and I'm terrified of the IB but I feel as if this is a last resort for me. I've had acne for the last 15 years, it's gotten a little better as I've gotten older (33) but I still feel like a teenager, not wanting to leave the house, or go to work and I feel like everyone is staring when I have a breakout. My breakouts have no Rhyme or reason. At first I thought they were hormonal, seeing as they only came before my period but lately they just come at will anytime they choose. Although I'm very careful about what I use on my face ( AcneFree, proactive, neutrogena, etc. I have at leat $300 worth of products under the sink collecting dust) the final straw was one day I was going to the grocery store and as I was getting out of my car I checked myself in the rearview mirror and I was SHOCKED to say the least at the condition of face, up until that point I don't think I really took a good hard look at my face with no make up, I didn't even want to go in the store. I had pretty much given up on Derms because it seemed whatever they prescribed only worked for a month or two and then I was right back where I started minus a few hundred dollars.

I decided that I had to give it one more shot because I was begining to feel depressed about leaving the house, I wouldn't even let my BF see me without makeup ( & we live together so that was difficult) On my very first visit I explained to my Derm what I was feeling and the struggle I'd been through with my face and she immediately said, "You would be a good canidate for Accutane" I had no idea what that was but if it would make this disaster on my face go away I was willing to try. We filled out all the paperwork ( I felt like I was buying a house!) she started me on Doryx and Finacea to help control the breakouts until I could get the results on my blood work in 2 weeks.

Well, the Doryx and Finacea cleared my skin completely except for 2 pimples, which the derm was happy about because she said the more under control your skin in when you start the better and the IB may not be so bad (keeping my fingers crossed). My question to you Veterens on the site is how true is this? I currently have just 2 pimpes on my face (lots of scarring though) and I'm really nervous about breaking out again after getting my face semi under control to start the treatment.

Day 1--Nothing

Day 2- dry lips

Good luck with your course yvette!

You will succeed in getting the clear skin you deserve.

All the best to you.

Day 3

Nothing much to report, my skin feels more oily than usual and my lips are dry. Also I have a slight but persistant headache. :wacko:

Hey Yvette, thanks for your reply. Since we started around the same time I'll definitely keep track of your progress. I noticed you said you had a headache...I got that my first day. Took an alleve and haven't experienced one since. I've heard that this side effect usually passes fairly quickly. Hope it does for you. In the meantime, pop an alleve. Or, as my derm told me "just ignore it".

What are you using for your dry lips? I recently started Dr. Dan's cortibalm based on endorsements on this site and i'm pretty pleased. It doesn't have that thick waxy feel i've found with blistex and carmex. Feels more just like chap-stick.

Good luck. Since I'm about 2 weeks ahead of you, feel free to use me as a guinea pig for what to expect and what to use :dance: (i just always wanted to use that face after seeing it so much on this site)

Day 4

Ok help me out guys, I know this must be related to the Tane but I have to ask. I woke up with night sweats, it felt like it was 100 degrees in my room (I'm always cold)and I just couldn't get comfortable. Then this morning my face felt/looked a little swollen and tight but still oily(?). My lips are a desert of course, but I'm dealing with that. I do however have 3 whites heads on my left cheek and one on my right, along with a little flakiness and I never get white heads, so I'm figuring the Tane is kicking in, I just didn't think it would happen so quickly. Just wanna make sure this is normal. Other than that just a little tired and headache is gone (yay!)

On a side note, my Derm gave me a light facial peel the day I started Tane. She said it would peel just a touch to try to rid some of the impurities beforehand. I never knew my face could get this oily!

DAY 5

I'm starting to have that "what did I get myself into" feeling. I washed my face last night and I noticed some slight peeling and then it burned like hell when I washed it. Also my cheeks are taking on the texture of a wall, you that rough slightly bumpy look..I have redness and it feels tight. The things we do to rid Acne (sigh)

Day 6

Not to bad overall..

Dry patches on my cheeks, which is my worst area.

some flaking

Skin still oily in certain areas

nose feels a little swollen(?)

some body aches

dry lips

Overall condition

I had a cyst pop up out of no where on my right cheek and progressively get worse through the day until it looked as if it would pop, then all of a sudden this morning it had suddenly went down dramatically! but the bad news is now I have one forming on my left cheek. I'm keeping a very positive attitude because the journey will be worth it in the end. The way I look at it, 4 months are gonna come and go, Accutane or not, I would still have bad skin, break outs and depression either way it goes, so at least right now I'm suffering with a purpose. I'm actually excited about this, I've never seen one product have so many positve results in the end. I've read enough posts to understand that some IB's are ok and some are to die for but either way, all of those posters seem satisfied with the end result.

hey yvette! good luck with your accutane, i have a feeling i will be starting one of these logs myself. keep us updated! :)

Hey yvette! thanks for stopping by my log, im gona be checking up on you since we are so closely on the same path to finishing accutane at the same time. I am also really scared of an IB haha. good luck!

Hey gorgeous!

How are you holding up?

So far so good..on day 9 and my face is so sensitive, even to the touch in some areas. My vision is blurry at times and i'm tired at lot but I heard most of these symptoms should disappear in a few weeks. Other than taht no IB yet and my skin actually looks better!

Day 10

Can you say DRY??

I woke up and my face felt like I had a mask on! especially in problem areas. All the actives seems to be drying up niclely, although I'm left with a desert on my skin. I tried the baby brush method today, just rubbing gently with my neutrogena soap and I must say it worked wonderfully to remove most of the flakes. I'm still impressed with how the tane is working, even with the side effects. Other than that no new actives, my cheeks are lightening hella quick with the bleaching cream though, probably due tot the fact that my face is very sensitive, so I may cut back on that a bit because although that's where most of my discoloration is, the surrounding area now looks too light.

Ona side note, Me and my hubby went out last night and played pool, he ordered me a drink and I only drank half (he does not know about all the side effects of tane) but I was ok, no resctions, plus I knew we going out so I took my nighttime dose at 3pm instead of 8-9pm like I normally do because I knew we would be out that night.

I'm also still battling with tiredness and my legs were hurting last night also, but I work up this morning and felt fine. I think I'll try increase my sleep by an hour or 2 eveyday to see if that helps. I read on a site here that while your on tane you body goes through alot so you should baby yourself for the next few months, as if you have the flu. Not a bad idea!

Day 11

My face was so flaky last night, I wanted to leave work. Everytime I looked in the mirror there were new flakes above my lip and on my cheeks. How embarassing! I kept my focus though and kept telling myself it's for a greater good..I felt like saying "Yea go ahead and stare everybody! I'm gonna be pretty in a few months!" but instead I just kept sneaking to the bathroom to watch my face deteriorate right before my eyes. I swear.. I got no work done and it felt like everyone who came to speak to me was talking to my flakes, not me. I know we tend to make the issue larger than life, but hey that's how it feels. Luckily my IB hasn't gotten worse, I can deal with the small bumps forming they are nothing compared to the half croc, half woman, sideshow I've become. :evil:

So anyways when I got home I made a beeline straight for the bathroom, washed my face, did the baby brush method(which I love), rinsed with my anti-bacterial astringent and slathered myself with aloe and tea tree oil. I was feeling much better with my face this morning, not so much peeling and it didn't feel as tight so I think I may have come up with a decent formula to combat some of the dryness (for now, fingers crossed).

oh yea..my lips are so dry, I wanna pull 'em off and soak 'em in some vaseline for a few days. I'm reapplying carmex every 20-30 minutes... :doh:

Okay I finally figured out to post the pics here..These are pre-tane pics..Most of my issues consist of Hyper-pigmentation.I have ALOT of Brown spots my Derm also has me using a bleaching cream which is pretty greasy that I use instead of moisturizer...Will post updates every month

right_cheek.bmp

right cheek

left_cheek.bmp

Left cheek

forehead.bmp

Forehead- No isues here for some reason

chin.bmp

Some white/blacheads

right_cheek.bmp

left_cheek.bmp

forehead.bmp

chin.bmp

Day 12

I think I'm having my IB! :confused:

I woke up to about 7 small actives on my right cheek and 7-8 on the left. The crazy part is the surrounding areas look rough, it's hard to describe but it's almost like my skin has taken on this bumpy road look(?) like theres alot brewing under the surface. I'm surprised that I'm taking it as well as I am because I was so scared of the IB in the beginning, it's almost like a relief to know it's starting because the sooner it starts the sooner it can be over! I'm also glad I have no cysts (yet)

I went to Target today and forgot my carmex, so I'm licking my lips every 2 seconds until I broke down and found the aisle with chapsticks and such. Low and behold what did I find? Aquafor buy 1 get 1 free, so I picked up 4 of those suckers, plus the hand cream.

Then I went to lunch with my sister and she made me feel a little better because she said my outbreak didn't look to bad (although I had on make-up). She said that she's a little jealous (Derm won't prescibe for her, due to her eczema) because no matter how bad the IB is, it'll be worth it in the end. That helped lift my spirits.

I think if we all keep our eye on the big picture, we'll be okay. (Suffer now, party later!!)

Day 13

This stuff is realy something else! So I wake up this morning and literally 1/2 the actives I had just yesterday are gone! no red marks, no nothing, they just disappeared in the night.. :clap: I know there are more to come but I'm not discouraged if they continue to leave this quickly. I had a doozy forming under my nose and that's even going away. I know tane pushes everything to the surface but the turn around time on them is much quicker than before I started the medication. I also found a Aloe vera face wash that I really like, it makes my skin feel nice and cool. Nothing else to report..

*Skin is nice and dry (not overly)

*Lips still fell like deserts

*Complexion seems to be coming back, slowly but surely.

Not even sure what day I'm on anymore..that's the least of my worries anyway.

The last 2 days have been pure HELL with my face. I went from having a nice calm face, mild dryness to the damn Sahara desert!! It's flaky as a pillsbury biscut, dry as sand and to top all that, it fucking hurts when I wash it...oh yea moisturizer??? forget about it, it stung so bad it felt like I poured alcohol in an open wound. All I could do was stand there in the mirror, speechless (in 2 much pain to yell) and watch my face turn beet red (I'm black so that is no small feat) as tears jumped from my eyes cuz they were scared to fall on my face cuz it was burning. I'm making a joke of it now but I could honestly feel heat radiating from my face, I thought I was having a allergic reaction to something, but I haven't done anything different since day one.

Ok..fast forward, next morning, I wake up and guess what Crocodile lady is [email protected]! just when I thought it was over..nope she's back with a vengence, I really think that my face is the devil :evil: and it does not wanna be clear, otherwise why fight the treatment so hard?? As you can see the past few days have been rough for me, I'm hoping that the next three months will not be this up and down for me, I don't know how much more of this I can take..Chanting "Clear skin..Clear skin" is not even helping anymore..(sigh)

PS- I have wised up and created an emergency kit for work though, for the next time I look in the mirror and discover my alter ego, Croc woman has appeared. The emergency kit consists of anti-bacterial wipes (for the face), moisturizer and sunscreen. That usually gets rid of the flakes and holds me over until I get home.

Until my next meltdown....Take care..

I know what that feels like!! ...and the meltdowns from the awful dry, flaky skin! ugh. My moisturizer burns too :( I'm on month four...and I never experienced that feeling in my first two and a half months. I mean, I wasn't even really all that dry. I think although it's a pain, it's a REALLY good sign that you're drying up so quickly into treatment! I bet you'll start seeing results soon. Keep saying your "clear skin" mantra, I think I'm gonna start trying that too :) this stuff WILL work!

-Laura

I know what that feels like!! ...and the meltdowns from the awful dry, flaky skin! ugh. My moisturizer burns too :( I'm on month four...and I never experienced that feeling in my first two and a half months. I mean, I wasn't even really all that dry. I think although it's a pain, it's a REALLY good sign that you're drying up so quickly into treatment! I bet you'll start seeing results soon. Keep saying your "clear skin" mantra, I think I'm gonna start trying that too :) this stuff WILL work!

-Laura

Thanks Laura, it makes me feel a little better to know that "maybe" this treatment is working quickly for me. I did notice from reading other posts that I did seem to dry out pretty quickly compared to others. Although I complain about the effects of tane, it still feels good to know that there's a little war going on under my skin and although it feels like the acne is winning right now the long term champion will be the accutane= clearskin= happy me!!

Day 18

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse.......

Croc lady still resides on my face and guess what? she's invited friends! Yea now I have light patches on my damn face! :redface: WTF??..my left cheek is lighter than the rest of my face! I use bleaching cream (per my derm's script) but I put it on my entire face, not just certain areas. I'm no expert but I'm thinking that maybe my skin is more sensitive in that area, so it just lightened more quickly than the rest? either way it sucks cuz it looks weird, a heart shaped light spot on one cheek.. Oh yea my face is definitely the devil :evil: ..to make matters worse, Mr. " I just say whatever comes to mind" (My BF), walks into the kitchen this morning and says" Hey why does half your face look like Michael Jackson?" well if you read my post from yesterday, you can already probably guess, I was a bitch on wheels after that! it was SOO not funny 2 me. He "says" he was concerned but trying to lighten the mood but I wasn't feeling that today..

Goods

Sorry none that I can think of today..except this doesn't last forever.

Bads

Flaking, peeling, crocodile like skin

Sore to the touch

Moisturizer burns

light patch on cheek

Lips- Enough said

P.S- Did I mention my face was the devil???

Until next time..

Here's a pic of the dreaded light patch!! if look near my ear, that's my actual color. As you can see it's only on my acne area which leads me to believe that my skin in weaker in that spot, which is why it turned much lighter, much quicker. Sigh..what to do??

post-85316-1224703811_thumb.jpg

post-85316-1224703811_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of the dreaded light patch!! if look near my ear, that's my actual color. As you can see it's only on my acne area which leads me to believe that my skin in weaker in that spot, which is why it turned much lighter, much quicker. Sigh..what to do??

Ok i am confused. Should I reply to the post within my topic or in yours. Hahax anyways remember, no matter how bleak it all seems right now, YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING. Hang in there babe.

I had the light patch issue as well. See my just-after-course1 pics. my left cheek was considerably lighter for no reason! I am not sure what the exact mechanisms are behind this but i think Tane causes your skin to peel at times, more so in certain areas. From my experience, it eventually evens out. Try cutting down on HQ application to your left cheek in the meantime.

:)kris

Ok i am confused. Should I reply to the post within my topic or in yours. Hahax anyways remember, no matter how bleak it all seems right now, YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING. Hang in there babe.

I had the light patch issue as well. See my just-after-course1 pics. my left cheek was considerably lighter for no reason! I am not sure what the exact mechanisms are behind this but i think Tane causes your skin to peel at times, more so in certain areas. From my experience, it eventually evens out. Try cutting down on HQ application to your left cheek in the meantime.

:)kris

Thanks, Kris that helps.. At least it's not to abnormal. I have completely stopped putting the HQ in that area in hopes that the rest of my face will catch up..LOL

Day 19

Feeling a little better after speaking to a few fellow "Taners" on the log, knowing your not alone makes it so much easier to cope. My face is still really tight and dry but I've started to mix my moisturizer with tea tree oil and that seems to help with the flaking, I've also begun to use the baby brush method about every other day, so far so good. I still have terrible flakes when I wake up, but I'm dealing.

I was talking to my sister about my skin and she has Eczema and she was telling me that what I'm experiencing almost mirrors her symptoms, as far as dry flaky skin, Just thought that was interesting.

GOODS

*Face seems smoother

*No new actives (actually lost a few)

*Insomnia has tapered off

BADS

*Vision has been blurry on and off(using visine)

*Dry/Light patches on face

*Lip, Lips, Lips

Until next time...Think Acne free