Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wingman1234

Prescribed antibiotics but i dont want to take them

Hey Everyone,

So basically I have moderate - severe acne and Ive had it for years. Ive been using minocycline on and off for maybe 3 years for acne.

I just went to a dermatologist and he prescribed me differin xp, neo medrol and doxycycline 100 mg

Personally I told him that ive tried antibiotics over years and they didnt work, and he still insisted i take them

so ive got a 6 week dose of 100 mg doxycycline (one per day) with 3 repeats

I just took the first one today and I didnt feel bad physically or anything but i just really wish i could do this without the doxycycline

Could anybody advise me what to do? I feel like i should listen to the derm bc hes a doctor and im not but at the same time im regretting taking it sort of

anyways if you guys can give me some advice id appreciate it alot

Just ask him to perscribe you a topical that you haven't tried yet. HE can't FORCE you to do anything.

I personally took doxy before and it worked really quick...I was cleared within 3 days

It was kinda hard to quit it tho

Here's how I put it...take antibiotic to speed up the clearing stage...then quit it and maintain the result by diet

mino is a weaker verison of doxy....so doxy might work for u~ just give it a try

no antibiotic doesnt affect anything on protein

It affects how much nutrition u r getting from food tho...that's y people cant gain weight on antibiotic

Just ask him to perscribe you a topical that you haven't tried yet. HE can't FORCE you to do anything.

okay so just to get this straight, you would recommoned taking it for like a week or until it clears me up then getting off of it?

Also when im stopping it should i stop it right away? or should i be doing something to slowly ween myself off of it?

Your doctor sucks and you are right about not taking the ineffectives and potentialy harmful antibiotics he wants to give you, you can try to follow a good diet, it works and it's not a quick fix.

Hey Everyone,

So basically I have moderate - severe acne and Ive had it for years. Ive been using minocycline on and off for maybe 3 years for acne.

I just went to a dermatologist and he prescribed me differin xp, neo medrol and doxycycline 100 mg

Personally I told him that ive tried antibiotics over years and they didnt work, and he still insisted i take them

so ive got a 6 week dose of 100 mg doxycycline (one per day) with 3 repeats

I just took the first one today and I didnt feel bad physically or anything but i just really wish i could do this without the doxycycline

Could anybody advise me what to do? I feel like i should listen to the derm bc hes a doctor and im not but at the same time im regretting taking it sort of

anyways if you guys can give me some advice id appreciate it alot

I would not take the antibiotics but pretend that you did during your next consultation. If you are up for it, push him for accutane. Antibiotics may give you a slight improvement temporarily, but they only treat the symptoms of acne, not the root cause, just like treating neurotransmitter imbalances with anti-depressants; it's your cognitive behaviour which causes the imbalance, not the imbalance which causes the depression. Don't make any existing candida overgrowth worse.

I would not take the antibiotics but pretend that you did during your next consultation. If you are up for it, push him for accutane. Antibiotics may give you a slight improvement temporarily, but they only treat the symptoms of acne, not the root cause, just like treating neurotransmitter imbalances with anti-depressants; it's your cognitive behaviour which causes the imbalance, not the imbalance which causes the depression. Don't make any existing candida overgrowth worse.

sorry dude but im not gona lie to my doctor and try to push him to put me on accutane. I would only take that as a very last option and even then i dont think i would. I mean how can you advise me not to take antibiotics bc they dont solve the root of the problem and then tellme to go on accutane????

To anyone else do you guys think its smart to continue to take these antibiotics (ive only taken one so far) or just stop it.

also are there any harmful effects from just taking it for a couple days then abruptly stopping?

It sounds like he's gearing up to give you accutane. He's got the list out:

Has the patient tried A? B? C? check, check, check. He needs to satisfy a certain criteria before he can prescribe them.

Personally, I wouldn't take them. They are a temporary fix, at best - your acne will return the same as before when you are off. At worst - it'll be resistant and harder to treat. Not worth it imho.

If my goal was to get the accutane... I might neglect tot tell him I wasn't taking them. Get yourself a quality probiotic and see if that helps.

It is not harmful to stop the antibiotics for acne. It would be for a bad staff infection, or pneumonia - an acute and temporary condition. You'll be fine.

Hey wingman my situation is very similar to yours but instead of having persistent moderate acne for a couple years ive had it for the past 6 months or so, before it was just mild. I have been going through miniocycline 100 a day and alot of topicals and honestly if your derm told you a regimen to follow i believe you should follow it, he isn't going to put you into harm's way. I have been put on different topicals and antibiotics for the next month but if i still see no improvement im going to take the accutane plunge and get acne out of the way at the expense of a few shitty months.

In terms of muscle building, i have been keeping a strict workout regimen and eating diets for a while and although I think antibiotics might affect the kind of weight you put on I have gained about 10 lbs mostly muscle while taking antibiotics. And for all the people saying that diet can cure it im sure there are many people this works for however I tried all the different diets to a T for several months but it didn't help my acne much. plus i duno if you ever ate gluten free food but they taste like ass!

sorry dude but im not gona lie to my doctor and try to push him to put me on accutane. I would only take that as a very last option and even then i dont think i would. I mean how can you advise me not to take antibiotics bc they dont solve the root of the problem and then tellme to go on accutane????

Accutane is the closest thing you are going to get as a cure for acne, prescription wise. If you have tried antibiotics for 3 years and not had success, then logically, to me it just seems like a waste of time and a risk of potentially harming your body to take more without results. It's your body, not your dermatologist's. Yeah, he/she is qualified, but if you want to do everything someone says besides your own experiences and personal judgement of your own skin, then that's your issue.

If your acne is moderate/severe, then I don't see why you wouldn't want to increase your chances of obtaining accutane anyway. Unless you are suggestible and believe everything that is said about the side effects of accutane, ignoring the fact that only the tiny minority of people actually have serious side-effects from using it. Ask for a long low-dose course for 'safety' if you are concerned.

I don't know of anyone that has been able to clear moderate to severe acne with antibiotics. By 'clear', I don't mean the first wave of mediocre clearing that you get from a few months of antibiotics, but complete clearing. The acne always comes back and in some cases worse because of bacterial resistance and candida. If you want to do what your doctor says, then take the drugs but think of it as a step towards getting accutane, because I can assure you that if you experience any improvements, they are at most, short-term temporary ones until you finally 'grow out of' acne, or remedy whatever body/hormonal imbalance you have that causes it in the first place . Sorry to be so blunt, but sometimes you have to face the facts and cut through the crap.

Accutane is the closest thing you are going to get as a cure for acne, prescription wise. If you have tried antibiotics for 3 years and not had success, then logically, to me it just seems like a waste of time and a risk of potentially harming your body to take more without results. It's your body, not your dermatologist's. Yeah, he/she is qualified, but if you want to do everything someone says besides your own experiences and personal judgement of your own skin, then that's your issue.

If your acne is moderate/severe, then I don't see why you wouldn't want to increase your chances of obtaining accutane anyway. Unless you are suggestible and believe everything that is said about the side effects of accutane, ignoring the fact that only the tiny minority of people actually have serious side-effects from using it. Ask for a long low-dose course for 'safety' if you are concerned.

I don't know of anyone that has been able to clear moderate to severe acne with antibiotics. By 'clear', I don't mean the first wave of mediocre clearing that you get from a few months of antibiotics, but complete clearing. The acne always comes back and in some cases worse because of bacterial resistance and candida. If you want to do what your doctor says, then take the drugs but think of it as a step towards getting accutane, because I can assure you that if you experience any improvements, they are at most, short-term temporary ones until you finally 'grow out of' acne, or remedy whatever body/hormonal imbalance you have that causes it in the first place . Sorry to be so blunt, but sometimes you have to face the facts and cut through the crap.

Well I have been offered accutane before and i turned it down. I dont understand that you advise me to attack the root cause of the acne and then advise me to take accutane in the same sentence. Accutane does not attack the root cause at all.

like I said I would only take accutane as a last resort if i really felt i could not live happily with my skin.

I took Doxycycline for four weeks and the results were minimal. Personally, I didn't think it was worth it because I felt like crap physically the whole time I was on them and only saw results the last week I was taking them. I had moderate/severe acne by the way. I believe their was even a time when it got worse before it got better. I'm very suspicious of the "supposed" beneficial effects from taking oral anitbiotics so I don't blame you for being reluctant. I'm using an oral antibiotic now called Clindamycin which I feel a lot better about but it is still an antibiotitc (without the side effects). I think that you should just stick with the topicals, don't do anything, if you don't feel right about it. And Accutane is NOT THE ONLY CURE for everybody struggling with severe acne. Honestly, I've seen more results from taking supplements and vitamins then I ever did taking Doxy. If you do decide to take the Doxy, follow up with a probiotic (Acidopholis) so that you could retain some of your good bacteria. I hate how doctors don't advise people about this because antibiotics really do reek havoc on your body. Good Luck!

I took Doxycycline for four weeks and the results were minimal. Personally, I didn't think it was worth it because I felt like crap physically the whole time I was on them and only saw results the last week I was taking them. I had moderate/severe acne by the way. I believe their was even a time when it got worse before it got better. I'm very suspicious of the "supposed" beneficial effects from taking oral anitbiotics so I don't blame you for being reluctant. I'm using an oral antibiotic now called Clindamycin which I feel a lot better about but it is still an antibiotitc (without the side effects). I think that you should just stick with the topicals, don't do anything, if you don't feel right about it. And Accutane is NOT THE ONLY CURE for everybody struggling with severe acne. Honestly, I've seen more results from taking supplements and vitamins then I ever did taking Doxy. If you do decide to take the Doxy, follow up with a probiotic (Acidopholis) so that you could retain some of your good bacteria. I hate how doctors don't advise people about this because antibiotics really do reek havoc on your body. Good Luck!

hey thanks alot for your reply it was very helpful,

yah I think i might as well finish the 6 weeks since ive already taken two days but i will try to get some of those probitics your talking about, do they normally sell them at regualr drug stores?

also are there any other supplements that are helpful for acne?

if you've been taking the pills before and notice no affect then i dont think you should take them again. but if there free y not? but if i had to pay for them i wouldnt. sometimes doctors are wrong. just cuz there a doctor dont mean they know it all. they just know more than u, and at times they use us as experiments giving us different kind of pills and products thats y there no such thing as one solution to solve all acne's..if you know what im talking about. acne is different for everyone so if they work for other it may not work for u. i took those antibiotic pills before too by my derm. they didnt do shit for me. i have used lots of products over the year and most dont work. and i been using water only method for months and its been working good for me. but i personally think using natural solutions is the best and safest way to reduce acne.

Well I have been offered accutane before and i turned it down. I dont understand that you advise me to attack the root cause of the acne and then advise me to take accutane in the same sentence. Accutane does not attack the root cause at all.

like I said I would only take accutane as a last resort if i really felt i could not live happily with my skin.

the point he is getting at is that accutane will probably just get rid of the acne. which is the point, whether you want to get at the root cause or not.

hey thanks alot for your reply it was very helpful,

yah I think i might as well finish the 6 weeks since ive already taken two days but i will try to get some of those probitics your talking about, do they normally sell them at regualr drug stores?

also are there any other supplements that are helpful for acne?

Yeah, you can get them at any drug store usually. I take the Nature Made or Nature Bounty kind. Yogurt is also a probiotic, like if you buy the kind for digestive health. I take Fish Oil/Omega 3, Zinc Chelated 50mg, and a vitamin for hair, skin and nails Lifefitness Brand. I have seen really good results taking these consistently. I hope you find something that works for you too and I'm glad I can help.

I also came to the conclusion that you actually wanted advice on whether or not to take the antibiotics since this thread is titled, "prescribed antibiotics, but I don't want to take them." What's the point naming the topic this way if you are going to do exactly what your doctor says and take them without any possibility of not taking them? You are asking for controversial opinions, but criticising them at the same time.