Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nomorealcohol

My first day on Isotetrinoin (UK Member)

Hi, Im new to this forum. Im an 18 year old male from England. Just starting Isotetrinoin today im going to be taking 40mg a day for 2 weeks, then 70mg on one day, 80mg the next. Really confusing but i hope its going to be worth it!! Any encouragement would be nice, I will keep a log of how i get on (probably weekly).

Cheers :D

Been on them a week now. Skin has been REALLY dry already especially about 5 or 10 mins after getting out the bath. No improvement yet (didnt expect any). Lips are REALLY dry as well. So yeah im already experiencing the side effects hopefully i will start to see some results over the next month or so. Going to start taking 80mg after another week :unsure:

Good luck! I am starting Isotetrinoin next week - and have been reading various posts on it over the past couple of days. I'm really hoping that it will work for me - as like you I'm sure, I've tried everything else with no success at all! I'm a 26 year old female, my skin is the worst it has ever been, so this is my last resort!

Good luck! I am starting Isotetrinoin next week - and have been reading various posts on it over the past couple of days. I'm really hoping that it will work for me - as like you I'm sure, I've tried everything else with no success at all! I'm a 26 year old female, my skin is the worst it has ever been, so this is my last resort!

Good luck to you aswell! Let me know how you get on with it im sure it will work for both of us.

Been on them for over 2 weeks now..

Already seeing signs of them working in a way..

Skin is still VERY dry after i come out of bath, using LOTS of moisturiser during the day but it will be all be worth it soon

good luck on the tane bro! cleared up my face, i hope it does the same to you!

Cheers but it's hard at the moment because my face is horribly dry ... Im using plenty of moisturiser but the tablets are really working around that (if that makes sense)...Plus with shaving pretty much every day it doesnt help.

Does anyone know if the dryness settles down after a while? Or will it be this bad the whole time???? I cant eat without my face drying up and its really embarassing at work especially!!

Its a strange feeling right now because as much as i want the tablets to work i cannot stand the dryness any more :(

Hi. If the Accutane side effects really start to bother you, you can come off it in consultation with your skin "therapist".

Other things can cause Acne such as "allergic" type reactions to skin care ingredients like SLS's et cetera..., also hair product, hair shampoo's and conditioner's that run all over your back and chest area. I bought a shower filter, to filter all the chlorine out of tap water in the shower, and washed just with pure water and nothing else, no shampoos or anything, and my skin is heaps softer, and more smooth. I am just saying, if you can not handle Accutane, I am sure you will get to the bottom of what is causing the Acne in time. Take Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) for example - it can destroy up to 6 layers of skin apparently, in one application! That is a common ingredient in cleansers, moisturisers and the like.

I do not think you should get fixated on isotretinoin being the last resort to clear up your skin problems, I think there are other things you can do. If you do come off the isotretinoin, you should maybe not use a moisturiser, as dry skin can help to keep skin free of bacterial infections. The dry skin you are experiencing with isotretinoin probably helps to clear the Acne, but there are ways you can acheive good results without using isotretinoin, I think.

Hi nomorealcohol,

Check out this forum http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Accutane-logs-f36.html

That's where everyone posts their logs on this site.

Also, you can find a lot of useful information here http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Accutane-posts-f46.html

To combat the dryness, make sure you moisturize at least twice daily. Don't take hot showers, it will make your skin significantly drier. Take warm showers/baths.

I see that you're in the UK.. do they have Cetaphil there? I use it here in Canada and it works wonders for moisturizing. I started around the same time as you, I'm on day 23-40 mg/day.

Message me if you have any questions.

Hi nomorealcohol,

Check out this forum http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Accutane-logs-f36.html

That's where everyone posts their logs on this site.

Also, you can find a lot of useful information here http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Accutane-posts-f46.html

To combat the dryness, make sure you moisturize at least twice daily. Don't take hot showers, it will make your skin significantly drier. Take warm showers/baths.

I see that you're in the UK.. do they have Cetaphil there? I use it here in Canada and it works wonders for moisturizing. I started around the same time as you, I'm on day 23-40 mg/day.

Message me if you have any questions.

Never heard of Cetaphil... I was given a moisturiser from the dermatologist called 'dermol lotion 500'. Maybe 70/80 mg/day is more than i should be on im not sure...

How much do you weigh?

11.5 stone / 160+ pounds ... Im going to half the amount im taking as of tomorrow

That seems to be a bit high of a dosage so early on for someone your weight. My derm started me out on a low dosage (30 mg) and I've been pretty fortunate so far (6 days in). Hopefully cutting back on the amount will help your body adjust, then you can increase the amount again.

How much do you weigh?

11.5 stone / 160+ pounds ... Im going to half the amount im taking as of tomorrow

That seems to be a bit high of a dosage so early on for someone your weight. My derm started me out on a low dosage (30 mg) and I've been pretty fortunate so far (6 days in). Hopefully cutting back on the amount will help your body adjust, then you can increase the amount again.

well i started off on 40mg for the first two weeks then went up to 80mg. going to take 40mg instead now i woke up this morning with the driest face ever

Cumulative dose is what matters. I would consider dropping to 40mg and then once clear maintaining results at 20mg. Personally, I would prefer a long term treatment of tane at a lower and LESS harmful dosage than a short-term burst of toxicity - trust me I know and wish I had done this.

Cumulative dose is what matters. I would consider dropping to 40mg and then once clear maintaining results at 20mg. Personally, I would prefer a long term treatment of tane at a lower and LESS harmful dosage than a short-term burst of toxicity - trust me I know and wish I had done this.

Thanks Sheefa i think that is probably my best bet to be honest. Spoke to someone at the hospital today and they said go back down to 40mg.

Do you recommend going straight down to 20mg as soon as they work properly or after a couple of months or whatever?

It says not to exfoliate at all when on accutane, as the skin cannot handle it, does this mean you cant shave?

Well i need to shave so i dont look like a complete tramp!

Just wanted so say a few words of encouragement. Accutane was great for me and it was well worth the side effects I experienced. Good luck!

Just wanted so say a few words of encouragement. Accutane was great for me and it was well worth the side effects I experienced. Good luck!

Thankyou i hope the side effects will be worth it! Cos the dry skin is soooo bad right now..

Droppin by to wish u luck on ur tane journey. Did wonders for me and it will do the same for you i hope. Use a good moisturizer and carry chapstick everywhere u go ;)

Cheers mate ive been carrying chapstick everywhere. To be honest the moisturiser isnt that great at all so ive resorted to vasoline when im not at work!

Thanks Sheefa i think that is probably my best bet to be honest. Spoke to someone at the hospital today and they said go back down to 40mg.

Do you recommend going straight down to 20mg as soon as they work properly or after a couple of months or whatever?

I would stick with 40mg for the first few months until you are clear. Once you are clear, personally, I would recommend dropping to 20mg max a day. You can or don't have to tell your derm, I'm not saying it's best not to, but in effect you are still receiving the same treatment albeit at a lower and less risky dose for a slightly longer duration. I would happily of taken 20mg a day for another 6 months than take a higher dose if I could go back.

My experience of tane is a negative one I'm afraid, even though it got me all clear. Hence, I'm trying to help minimise any side effects you may experience whilst ensuring you have the best success with it too. Low dose longer term therapy is the best course of action to clear skin IMHO.

Best of Luck.

Im a 31yr old, trying to get clear skin, since I was 12.

Im on day 9 of Isotetrioin, haven't seen to much results as of yet. Have the normal dry lips, but I can live with that. I never heard or have known anyone on this medication before. So Im sort of going at it blind. Hope will can all help each other out!

Almost been a month now. Face isnt half as dry as it was a couple of weeks ago - mainly due to vasoline i think. Think im having the 'initial breakout' but not sure.

Anyone know if it is normal to get the initial breakout 4 weeks into the treatment???

Also how long do they take until i get a clear face???

Its a weird feeling right now because as much as i hate the way i look im actually quite confident because i know that within a matter of weeks i can put it all behind me (hopefully!!)