Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
permanentdaylight

I want to NOT have to put on makeup first thing in the morning.

memory of back in high school days-I had horrible skin, the kind where 2 hrs after I put on make up I'd be all oily and need to re apply. I went out with friends and slept over. Next morning I woke up and quick went to the bathroom to wash my face and apply make up and realized that I left my purse somewhere the night before and a friend had it. No make up in the house. It was so embarassing cuz I didn't know these people well and I'd already washed off the make up from the night before and looked dreadful. Tried to exit the situation and go home asap but couldn't get a ride..I was acting totally different then I was the night before when I had lots of confidence. I ended up getting walked to a bus stop. UGH, bad memories...

I'm 14 and I've already been applying my whole face with makeup for about a year. I don't let my family see me without makeup. I've tried to reason with myself about how they are my family and they aren't going to care, but somehow I still manage to be self conscious I always end up hiding my face by looking away at something else if I don't have makeup on when my mom or dad walks into the room. When I go to a sleepover I leave my makeup on, sometimes I'll take a wet cotton ball and rinse my clear areas off a little bit with that, but most likely my face stays coated in makeup.

^^to the post above mine, I've always had nightmares about something like that happening to me. That's why whenever I go somewhere and I know for a fact I'm going to need makeup, I double check a bizillion times to make sure my makeup bag is safe and sound where I want it to be.

In a way, makeup has saved my life. It has given me the chance to be happy when without it I would have been a mess. But it's also been a curse. It's caused me to see what my face is like perfect looking, so I expect it when I take it off. Also, when you can't cover up a pimple my whole day is ruined. I break down crying in my bathroom on a regular basis. fun, isn't it?

Ugghh. This has been my goal recently to eliminate make up. I also believe its the reason I have acne in the first place. Oddly enough, I only have acne on my cheeks and jaw/chin area...so I only wear make up on my cheek/jaw area. Do I wear make up there because I have acne, or do I have acne because I wear make up there?? I've never been able to not wear make up to see if thats the case...

I would reccommend that you, on your vacation, spend a week without makeup. See what happens. Believe me, I know it's tough not to wear makeup. I wish I could wakeup and go to school without all my coverup. I also wish I could spend the night at friends houses and not have to worry about my face.

my boyfriend has PERFECT skin, its so annoying! I admit i only get occasional breakouts, but im left with the hyperpigmented marks, so i always have to cover those up, along with the rest of my face so it all blends! not to mention i have a ruptured cyst on my forehead which takes extra time these days to disguise. grrrrr i wish i could wake up slap on some eyeliner/mascara, maybe some lip gloss and go! Anyways i totally understand bout the friends calling late at night routine, my boyfriend never understands if he calls late and wants me to come over or hang out, that ive already washed my face and done my nightly regimen that i really don't feel like messing it up by putting on my makeup again.

I despise makeup too. It's exhausting having to get up early with plenty of time to spare before going out, day in day out, just to ensure that you have enough time in which to try and make yourself look presentable.

A year or so ago I managed to break out of my reliance on makeup and was able to go out here and there bare-faced. Now I find myself coming back to it again because I feel I need to at least try to make my skin look better. What depresses me most though, is that even with makeup I still look terrible; my main problem is scarring and textural damage, so makeup just tends to accentuate rather than hide my flaws, no matter how skillfully it's applied. But somehow or other I keep trying to convince myself that I'm doing a good job and making myself look much better (it works sometimes - up until you accidentally catch a glimpse of yourself somewhere...).

Of course, I'd still hate the idea that I was wearing some sort of a 'mask', but, I just wish so badly that I could at least look semi-decent with the aid of cosmetic products. I'd happily get up at unearthly hours of the morning if I knew I could improve my appearance with makeup instead of just making myself look worse and caked-up. As it is, I have to choose between looking naturally awful and looking made-up, i.e. 'she's obviously trying to cover up bad skin - and done a terrible job of it' awful. It's extremely depressing & tiring.

Another thing... at the moment too, I'm nursing an extremely sore and red face from over-washing due to making several attempts to successfully apply makeup decently. Many times in the past I've ended up doing this... applying and re-applying makeup numerous times before finally giving up and not bothering to go out anyway - leaving me yet more depressed and with an even more aggravated face.

:doubt:

Oh I can COMPLETELY relate to you... I feel like I have the same ultimatum; it's like I'm either the girl with bad skin or the girl who wears way too much cakey makeup. It sucks, and usually I choose the latter because at least with makeup I can 'pretend' I look good. I also do the 'wake up extra-early and apply makeup' thing. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've spend who knows how much money on makeup over the years... and no matter what I end up having to cake it on for it to cover my blemishes/redness.

I get that. I don't wear foundation, but when I go to college, I always have to put on my heavy eye makeup. I just don't feel comfertable without that....armor, I guess. Maybe I'm afraid of looking mousy, or afraid of looking ugly, so I put it on thinking at least they'll think it's interesting.

I totally get that. Sometimes who we look like in the buff is uncomfertable. It does get easier, though, that I know.

Well it's actually good to find other people that u can relate too cuz i can sooo totally relate to everything on here!!!!!!!!!. Bad things always happen to me in terms of always being somewhere that I wouldn't have my make up. I've only just started uni in September, and all of my flatmates has never seen me without makeup!! I feel really bad cuz I always feel like they're talking about it behind my back. The other two girls in my flat have flawless skin and never have make up on. The fire alarm went off at 11pm one day when I'd already washed my face off, and all i wanted to do was just stay in my room and die there instead of going out! I had to go out tho cuz noone was allowed to stay in their rooms. Luckily I had enough time to put a face mask on! The next day I asked my flatmate if I scared her off and her reply was 'no i was just wondering what that shit on ur face was'. All i did was laugh cuz deep inside i was thinking ' if u think the face mask looked shit, wait to u see my real face!' lol. When I was in college I use to have loads and loads of make up on. You know when u have loads of make up on, and you know u have loads of make-up on, and u know people are looking at u cuz u have loads of make up on but u can't do nowt bout it?? thats what it was like. Wiv me back then, if there was ever a blackout and i was in the room, u would probably be able to see everything in the damn room! I still have to put loads of make up on but not as much as before. I started using these pills called Fulcin (griseofulvin is the generic name) they do it in America but not in the UK. Am half Nigerian so my mum gets it from there. It works MIRACLE!!! They don't have it here in the Uk cuz it's actually banned (got that from google). My acne is not all gone, but av seen more than 75 percent difference. I mean compared to what my face use to look like, i'd be an ungrateful bitch if i didn't appreciate what it looks like now. It annoys me as well when u get them people wiv the perfect skin that laughs at people that wear so much make-up. My close friend use to do. she'd laugh at anyone who wore so much make up on the streets. she might as well have been laughing at me, cuz i wear loads of make up too. I got so mad at her one day, that i said ' do u really think these people just wake up in the morning and decide to look like a painting? They know whats good too and it's not their choice at all to wear loads of make up!' she just kept on laughing. A year later, shes now got acne and pancaking her face all the way toon :D. I guess what goes around comes around. Now she'll know what it feels like! I laugh in her face cuz we're in the same boat now. I actually came across this website cuz my bf (who has NEVER seen me without make up by the way) is coming down to my uni for my birthday, and is gonna stay 3 whole blessed days!!!! I was looking for tips on how to hide my awful face when i came across this website! So any help or tips would be grateful from anyone plssssssssss xxx

Ugh, I totally relate to almost everything in here - it's like a breath of fresh air knowing i am not alone... but also i'm sad knowing other people feel what I do. I haven't been seen without make-up in years... recently I had been sharing a room with more than 5 other girls (haha, I know crazy!) AND to make it worse, the bathroom was on a different floor than my bedroom - so there was like a 5% chance of me getting to the bathroom after washing the make-up off, to the bedroom without being seen. So for those months that I was living there I showered every night, making sure I was the LAST to shower so I was alone in the community bathroom (shower stalls), with no locking door :( ... which all meant that some nights i'd be up till 2am. I'd then bring my make-up bag and mirror in the shower with me and do it all in the tiny stall... with the water running so no one would wonder why the heck I was standing in there for like 10 minutes without the shower on. It was so hard - I just wish I could have been free to wash my face, go to sleep, wake up - all without fear and being disgusted in what i really look like...

And mysecret - my biggest fear is always that fire alarm thing that happened with you... i'm always terrified something will happen and i'd end up having to run outside without having the chance to put my make-up on. Luckily now it takes me only like 10 or 15 minutes to put it on... in high school it used to take almost an hour (maybe more?) but now that I got a new kind of make-up (which i really love and is such a blessing to my life!) it takes me a MUCH shorter time, thank God!

My biggest wish is that one day I can go swimming again - I used to LOVE swimming, and i'd be in the water any chance I got... now it's been years since the last time i swam... i can't have my make-up wash off :( I dread now when summer comes... i get nervous someone will invite me to the beach, and then ask why I haven't swam in so long! grrrrr... but thanks guys for sharing your own thoughts and feelings, it helps to know i'm not alone...

It's such a relief to know that I'm not alone in feeling like this.

I used to be married to an abusive man and I was terrified of letting him see me without makeup. When he finally did see me, he confirmed my fears.

Now I have a very kind fiance, but I still hate washing my face at night before bed. I know he will go to work the next day and see a bunch of sophisticated women with perfect skin...

Everybody will tell you that they love you the way you are, but I'm no dummy. Men like a woman better when she's beautiful. I see how they soften and treat me better when I am wearing nice clothes and do my makeup and hair. I hate it, but it's true.

I definitely know what you're talking about. I don't like to be seen without makeup. I even wear makeup to the gym. I don't go out of the house with out it on. I too want to eventually not have to wear any makeup except for some mascara. I just wish my skin wasn't so red and that my acne would just vanish.

I get where you're coming from with the boys too. I really don't see anyone wanting to touch my face. Who wants to touch a face that's all bumpy and peeling/flaky? It's disgusting. I absolutely hate it. I'm basically swearing off face touching or kissing until my face is smoother and my acne is mostly gone.

I wear make up too. Actually my skin was not so bad... it got worse over the years and i had to keep covering up..

I don't wear makeup at home though. I'm fine without make up when i'm with my family. However foundation is a neccessity when i go out. :(

I wish i had flawless skin too.

Yeah, a year ago my skin was flawless, and I'd still spend at least 20 minutes on makeup (mostly eye makeup). I wasn't comfortable about my looks without it. Now, if my skin is looking nice, I feel good. I don't think I'm nearly as hard on myself as I used to be.

i hope so badly that one day i can wake up acne-free, and go straight to the kitchen and make breakfast in front of my family and not have to cover up my entire face before i do this.

I can relate to this more than you know. Except substitute "roommate who has perfect skin" for "family". I feel like such a sham all the time. But now if I all-of-a-sudden just stopped doing it, I think it would be utterly shocking, just because I'm never seen without makeup ever.

Like clockwork everyday: Wake up, creep into the bathroom, shower, stay in there for however long it takes me to put my makeup on, then continue on with my day. Even if I wake up and I'm STARVING.. I could never just go straight to the kitchen and eat. It pains me that I have to do this, but, it's sadly just become a way of life now.

But I thank you all who have posted in this thread, because I swear every reply I was like "Yes!"/"Me too!"/"Same here!" especially the fire drill fears! My apartment building has one every few months, but so help me god if it's ever during the middle of the night. :( :(

This thread makes me so sad :(

I used to apply make-up every morning to my greased up acned face with misery and heartache. I would dab it on the spots extra and make it look 10x worse but at least less red. My scars were more visible. Ugh, and the smell..thinking about it..smelled like clay and chemicals mixed with water and I'd get it on my lips and have to taste it, ick.

Then I noticed when I slept in my make-up, I looked better the next morning, so I'd go days with the same caked on make-up at a time til I washed it off and re-applied. This was dumb and aging yes yes but why care when I didn't think it would matter one day to the next, whatever worked for the moment.

I haven't worn make-up in...6 months? 7? Maybe 8 ^^ At the time I stopped my acne was still pretty bad, but I was tired of living with it on my face 24/7 and I said SCREW YOU COSMETIC CORPORATIONS I'M NOT PERFECT AND PROUD....ok, not like that crazy but you get the point. I was -done-.

Today I look in the mirror and see a clean, oil free, acne free, make-up free happy face! And I didn't get here without calling it quits. I really hope some of you guys might consider stopping, going loony, and just being nakey in public for once..(your face I mean, I don't want anymore trouble hehe)

It felt kind of strange at first but I did it. Maybe it was just because at that point in my life my skin was the last thing on my mind and I wasn't looking to impress anyone.

I don't know if this is encouraging to anyone or if I'm just rambling. I hope it was, though.

Don't we all. I wish it was enough to brush/floss my teeth, shower daily, and wash my face with a bar of regular soap... as opposed to having to use a hundred products, take pills, and slather on cosmetics to look halfway decent. Not even asking to look any different, really, just clean and healthy - which is impossible with acne. I HATE makeup, personally and wish I didn't have to wear it.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I have wished that so many times! We just have to keep believing that it is possible to have clear, clean, healthy skin; it will take time, sacrifice, and effort, but it will be well worth it.

As a side note relating to the OP:

Spending the night at a friend's house or having them stay the night at my place is like the ultimate test of friendship for me, because NO ONE outside my family and closest friends sees me without cover-up on. I always wonder what they're thinking, if they're shocked when I come out of the bathroom after washing my face.

i totally can relate... even when we go on trips and camps with friends i have to bring makeup into the bathroom and apply it to my spots/scars even if that means sleeping with some makeup on. its a horrid thing and once u think your coming close to being makeup free, the breakouts just keep on coming ..... i think its been 15 or so years of me having to wear makeup every day...

I join the club. :( the only people that have seen me without make-up is my family. at the moment i'm in student halls, and I dread the fire alarms, because everyone in the building has to leave their room immediately and when i'm alone, I like to stay without makeup. It makes me feel free. Well the other day there was a fire alarm, it was horrible. I was getting dressed planning to pu on makeup, meanwhile the guard was banging on my door and shouting " you're getting dressed?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME, YOU KNOW WHAT THERE'S A FIRE, GET OUT NOW, I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE NAKED" For the first time in years I had to go out without makeup, worst with students. my heart was beating relentlessly. but you know what thank god for hats. I brushed my hair over my face and put on a hat to hide my leopardy scars. although as the group of students gathered i walked somewhere where nobody else was. I couldn't bear the thought f people that had caught a glimpse of me with make-up seeing what I really looked like.

Anyway, now i have to wear make-up even if i'm by myself to avoid another situation like that one.

the day I will be able to put my hair up and go out without makeup, with a tank top will be the happiest day of my life. simple as that. something billions take for granted :(

Agh, I absolutely relate to this. I typically apply my makeup under moderately low light, just because I'd end up using my entire concealer pot if I didn't. I'll leave my house thinking I look fine, get to work, and realize my makeup has done virtually NOTHING about covering up my scarring/acne. Not to mention how greasy everything gets in a matter of hours.

OMG, you stole the words right out of my mouth.

I have more scars on one side of my face then the other, so on some days when I put on the makeup in dim light, I subconsciously pile on the makeup more on one side then the other. It's only when I see my reflection in clear day light that I realize that I look like a clown on one side and half decent on the other. :(

I just can't put makeup on in bright light, because I would just get more depressed about how my skin is, and see that the makeup doesn't make me look great, and it covers some, but not all, not to mention visible pores, and then would just decide to give up on the day and go back to bed, because hiding is much better than having to deal with stares man.

How much does it suck that the foundation is completely dry when you leave the house and then looks like you've been water hosed half an hour later. eek. it makes the makeup look even worst.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOH HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP. :boohoo::D

Well it's actually good to find other people that u can relate too cuz i can sooo totally relate to everything on here!!!!!!!!!. Bad things always happen to me in terms of always being somewhere that I wouldn't have my make up. I've only just started uni in September, and all of my flatmates has never seen me without makeup!! I feel really bad cuz I always feel like they're talking about it behind my back. The other two girls in my flat have flawless skin and never have make up on. The fire alarm went off at 11pm one day when I'd already washed my face off, and all i wanted to do was just stay in my room and die there instead of going out! I had to go out tho cuz noone was allowed to stay in their rooms. Luckily I had enough time to put a face mask on!

Omg, I hadn't read your post before I wrote mine, and the exact same thing happened to me. freaky, lol :D except my fire alarm was in bright day light

funny how in real life you don't meet people that are going through what you are. I sometimes wonder if all the people with acne just don't go out, or hide it better than me, that's why everyone around me seems to have perfect skin and their biggest problem is what shoes to wear for the halloween party dress.

I definitely know what you're talking about. I don't like to be seen without makeup. I even wear makeup to the gym. I don't go out of the house with out it on. I too want to eventually not have to wear any makeup except for some mascara. I just wish my skin wasn't so red and that my acne would just vanish.

I get where you're coming from with the boys too. I really don't see anyone wanting to touch my face. Who wants to touch a face that's all bumpy and peeling/flaky? It's disgusting. I absolutely hate it. I'm basically swearing off face touching or kissing until my face is smoother and my acne is mostly gone.

sorry to quote everyone... :D

it's true about the boys/men acting better towards you on the days you look decent. Not just boys, people in general. I seem to get more respect when i've put on my makeup perfectly and no scar is in sight. This makes me lose respect for people :D

And on to kissing and touching my face thing, oh my god I relate. How uncomfortable or fearful do I feel when my family or anyone tries to touch my face or give me a hello cheek kiss. Don't even get me started on hugs :D how the hell should I place my face so that my makeup doesn't smudge on the person's face or their nicely ironed and clean clothes. lol, oh man :( that has happened to me on too many embarassing occasions.

I also relate to Bollywood. I have no social life, social skills, no boyfriend, doubt I ever will have one, because on top of acne nobody wants a girl with no personality. Acne has done a good job on me. I don't drive either, so yeah, i'm a complete loser all thanks to acne. :D

it's true about the boys/men acting better towards you on the days you look decent. Not just boys, people in general. I seem to get more respect when i've put on my makeup perfectly and no scar is in sight. This makes me lose respect for people

Yes, one of the reason's acne was so emotionally devastating for me is the dramatic way in which people's reactions towards me change when I'm broken out vs clear. I'd love to belive that 'nobody cares about your acne but you' but in my experience it just isn't true. Even if I try to act confident with bad acne, people just have less respect for me.

Example: I went to a department store to try to get a refund for a body moisturizer that had broken me out in a rash. Appearance was bad - I had a terrible cystic initial breakout due to spiro, I'd only had 2 hours sleep, and I'd just shoved on some old jeans and a tank top. The SA just snapped "NO refunds on used items." at me. One year previously I'd been to the SAME store to try to swap a foundation I'd bought in the wrong shade. Appearance this time was great - clear skin, flawless makeup, dressed for work, great hair ect. This time they were practically tripping over themselves to help me out, even apologizing for selling me the wrong shade! This is just one example amoung many, I don't think it's just a coincidence. :think:

Now that I'm clear again, guess what? People are starting to act nice to me again. Especially if I've covered up all my redmarks. Sometimes I really hate people. :evil:

EVERYDAY MINERALS DOES WONDER!!! I have acne on my cheeks, and horrible red scars, but one day i was talkin to my boyfriend about makeup, and he was like, "wait, you wear makeup?" :shifty:

In my opinion, I wear TONS of makeup. Eyeliner, mascara, eyebrow shading, concealer, foundation, blush!

I can relate to every single post in this thread because I HATE having to wear make up too. Not even my family is allowed to see me without at least some foundation on, never. I wake up and sneak into the bathroom to wash my face, shower, sneak back into my bedroom, lock the door and start the 1 hour routine of putting my make up on, and trying to get it to look as natural as possible. I have to wake up extra early to do this which sucks so bad.. Some days my make up decides it's going to look like crap so i have to wash it off and try again, which means I'm late for college and I've missed numerous lessons due to my make up; even whole days (which I've gotten into trouble for). One time I went to college thinking my make up looked alright, only to look into a mirror at lunch and find that I had blotchy concealer/foundation spots all over the place where I have scars and it upset me so much that I just went home.

I hate not being able to touch my face when I have this stuff on, for fear of wiping it off and looking like an idiot. I hate being asked to sleepovers - if I go to one (which I haven't done in ages), I wear a heavy foundation and I will NOT take it off - can't be very good for my skin but I'd rather do that than have people see my real face. Sucks. Sucks to feel so fake all the time, and to think of the reactions people would have if they saw you make-up free..

After a while this gets really tiring but it's like you don't have a choice, and you start obsessing about your make up and how it looks, it really does take over your life. It's so sad.

*sigh* they should invent some kind of permanent air-brushing foundation type thing that also magically cures acne lol

for me instead of MU i would always iron my hair and crimp it until it's perfection. if i can't have flawless skin my hair would be my next asset to make me look good. it's amazing what the right stlye can make a difference when framing a face.

Five days before Christmas, I spent seven hours making imitation cinnamon cookie ornaments for a boy I liked. For those seven hours, I grew more nervous by the second just thinking of how I was going to face him with a face full of scars. The next day, I walked a mile to the nearest grocery store (I had no car) to buy a tube of cookie frosting to decorate. I swear people were staring at me funny while I hesitated on which frosting to buy. I bet it was my acne scars. Then I walked a mile back, thinking how I was going to give it to him. Decorated the little cinnamon cookie men with frosting, then packaged it in a round tin can like it was really cookies.

Then Christmas finally came, and I swear my face looked so much worse. I had a pimple grow and die on my nose, so a brown-purple scar was healing on my nose. A little redder and I could be Rudolph! :D -_-;;

It was almost 9:00 PM that Christmas day. I was standing in front of the bathroom mirror with a face full of makeup and my face looked flawless. A slight touch of eyeliner and a quiet pink tinted lip balm. But I was hesitating for three hours while I did the makeup. I felt like I was lying; going there with a pretty mask to give him the present and confess that I've been liking him for exactly a year.

Long story short, I took off my mask and went there--flaws and all.

If he'll like me, I want him to like me. Not my facade. Not my mask.

He didn't say anything to me yet (since it is still winter break, and he doesn't know how to contact me really), but whatever his answer, I'll know it'll be based of me; not my pretty makeup. :D

I still would have gone with a bare face, even if I knew it would cause him to say no.

Let's be brave, people! <3 Loose the mask <3 !