Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spoofy2

Can somebody help me with a personal regimen

Up until the Accutane stopped working I've been getting my usual closed comedones again. And I totally hate them. I tried just about everything and the only thing that works is Accutane and the derm. will not put me back on it because I never really finished the entire 6 mo. I only did 3 because it was making me real red and dry.

My skin now is very pebbly like. My entire face is covered in bumps (not cystic acne just flesh colored bumps that are absolutely disgusting). Along with my neck, chest, and shoulders too. It's completely embarrassing. I'm even afraid to see my bf.

Here's what I use so far for my skin:

I use the oil extracting method (I forget the actual name for it) but I use 50% Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 50% Castor. I'm thinking about adding in some tea tree oil pretty soon I just learned that helps a lot too.

I also just bought the Clarisonic brush...not sure if it's helping yet...

I only use moisturizers at night which is Aveeno Daily Lotion. I use it on the face, neck, and actually everywhere on the body. I don't use it throughout the day because it makes my makeup go on really strangely. Could someone possibly help me figure out a regime please? I'm at my wits end here. I'm totally losing my self-esteem here.

Thank you!

I just purchased the clarisonic skin care brush too since I broke out from my clinique foundation. Hmm....if the olive oil method isn't working maybe you should try something else. Have you go to an esthetician or dermatologist?

I just purchased the clarisonic skin care brush too since I broke out from my clinique foundation. Hmm....if the olive oil method isn't working maybe you should try something else. Have you go to an esthetician or dermatologist?

I've been going to one for about 10 years for acne and the only luck that's come out of it is Accutane. But I'm too scared to go back on the stuff. It made me very emotional and made my skin clear up but it made it very dry which is just as unattractive. Now, the oil extracting thing helps on that note. But I recently just started taking birth control pills and I think that might have something to do with it. Right now it's just getting real bad I need to do something about it. I need to find a different dermatologist because the girl I normally see just left and the other guy there is real rude. I would rather like to be on some sort of antibiotic but so far minocycline makes me extremely dizzy and sick, doxycycline makes me real sick too, and I think that's the only ones that i have taken.

Are you sure it's acne? It could be folliculitis. I had flesh colored bumps on my forehead, temples and neck that wouldn't go away. It turned out to be fungal folliculitis; it went away after a week of using nizoral shampoo on the affected areas.

Check out his thread if you haven't already:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Small-bum...es-t164964.html

Thanks for the link. I read the entire thing and I'm not sure if I have that or not. I googled images of that folliculitis and saw some pretty gnarly pics that did not look like my condition at all but some others did so I'm not sure. I guess I'll just have to see a derm. for that. I actually get them all over my face not just certain places. I read in the thread it normally doesn't spread on the face. I can give the shampoo a shot. That would be so awesome if that's all it took to cure this crap.

I think that getting it on the face is more common than we realize- especially with all the antibiotics we take. Doctors still seem to be woefully uninformed about antibiotics- or at least they failed to divulge their information with me. I didn't know I should be taking pro-biotics with my antibiotics until I had already taken several courses (not for acne, but a recurrent UTI).

Don't know if you found that in your search, but here's a picture of what folliculitis can look like on the face:

http://www.cfpc.ca/cfp/2005/Apr/_images/cme_2_pic4.jpg

Usually they're small hard raised bumps, either flesh-colored or slightly red. They sometimes itch and sometimes you can squeeze a small white/yellow plug out of them.

Anyway, I don't think trying out the shampoo would be a bad idea, even if you don't have it. I found it surprisingly gentle. Start out slow though- try it once a day at first, leave on 3-5 minutes, then rinse off. See if you get any bad reaction, then move up to twice a day. If you do have it, you should see a significant improvement after a week.

I think that getting it on the face is more common than we realize- especially with all the antibiotics we take. Doctors still seem to be woefully uninformed about antibiotics- or at least they failed to divulge their information with me. I didn't know I should be taking pro-biotics with my antibiotics until I had already taken several courses (not for acne, but a recurrent UTI).

Don't know if you found that in your search, but here's a picture of what folliculitis can look like on the face:

http://www.cfpc.ca/cfp/2005/Apr/_images/cme_2_pic4.jpg

Usually they're small hard raised bumps, either flesh-colored or slightly red. They sometimes itch and sometimes you can squeeze a small white/yellow plug out of them.

Anyway, I don't think trying out the shampoo would be a bad idea, even if you don't have it. I found it surprisingly gentle. Start out slow though- try it once a day at first, leave on 3-5 minutes, then rinse off. See if you get any bad reaction, then move up to twice a day. If you do have it, you should see a significant improvement after a week.

Thanks a lot for all your help, akko. Actually, I visited the dermatologist today (I went to a different one) and he told me right off the bat that it wasn't acne. I was relieved but still concerned. I won't get my prescription until tomorrow but he said if it is Pityrosporum Folliculitis then it should be cleared up within a month or so. I'm so happy to know that it isn't really acne. In fact, the pic you linked me looked like my skin before I went on Accutane. So, I'm gonna try that shampoo in the meantime. Hopefully I get some results quick. Thanks again!

You're welcome spoofy! What did he prescribe you?

Nizoral is gentle, but I would be careful about mixing two different treatments.

You're welcome spoofy! What did he prescribe you?

Nizoral is gentle, but I would be careful about mixing two different treatments.

Ciclopirox 0.77% it's really gentle stuff. :doubt: He says to give it about a month to fully work. I'm still using the Nizoral shampoo at nights. Also the tea tree oil works as an antifungal so I've been doing that every other night. It can really dry out the skin so that's why I've been spacing myself out. I really hope it works. I'm tired of having a bumpy chest and face. :(