Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

It's getting expensive!

I am really wanting to get out of my mom's house and buy a place of my own.... but I feel like with the amount of money I spend on my organic food, I wont be able to afford to move out!! The prices are so bad.... I realize now that for you people in the states it's not as bad as here in Canada for prices... Man you guys had hormone free antibiotic free range CHICKEN BREASTS at SuperTarget for CHEAP!! I was like WTF??? LOL.... Here it costs at least $20 for 2 organic chicken breasts. It's SOOOO bad.... I want to cry everytime I buy organic meat.... I dont mind buying the organic produce and other foods like rice and stuff cause it's pretty much the same.... The meat is rediculous though! You guys have it good in the states when it comes to eating well.... I am jealous.

Anyway, my question is, do you think it would be bad to go back to eating regular meat? I am afraid the hormones will effect my skin.

I am really wanting to get out of my mom's house and buy a place of my own.... but I feel like with the amount of money I spend on my organic food, I wont be able to afford to move out!! The prices are so bad.... I realize now that for you people in the states it's not as bad as here in Canada for prices... Man you guys had hormone free antibiotic free range CHICKEN BREASTS at SuperTarget for CHEAP!! I was like WTF??? LOL.... Here it costs at least $20 for 2 organic chicken breasts. It's SOOOO bad.... I want to cry everytime I buy organic meat.... I dont mind buying the organic produce and other foods like rice and stuff cause it's pretty much the same.... The meat is rediculous though! You guys have it good in the states when it comes to eating well.... I am jealous.

Anyway, my question is, do you think it would be bad to go back to eating regular meat? I am afraid the hormones will effect my skin.

Hmm, I'm in Canada as well (currently Ottawa for school) and don't find it all that bad. Organic produce is fairly reasonably priced, as far as meat goes though, it's definitely unwise financially to be buying organic chicken breasts. I've found that for meat, it pays to buy cheaper cuts or ground meat to get more value and for chicken; buy whole organic chicken or chicken thights or something that costs much less per kg than chicken breasts.

BTW, here in Canada hormones are illegal; what isn't though and is a bigger concern for me is antibiotics. If you can't afford organic meat I think regular meat is still alright here in Canada (I'd still avoid processed deli meats, hot dogs, commercial sausages -homemade ones would be ok or ones without preservatives or gluten).

lucky's has 2 whole baby chicken for like 7 bucks both

This is San Francisco tho ( i think it's lower priced in other places since we are one of the mot expensive city )

"BTW, here in Canada hormones are illegal; what isn't though and is a bigger concern for me is antibiotics. If you can't afford organic meat I think regular meat is still alright here in Canada (I'd still avoid processed deli meats, hot dogs, commercial sausages -homemade ones would be ok or ones without preservatives or gluten)."

Arrrgh so untrue! This is what I hate about Health Canada and their lack of information that is released. I worked for three years in an Organic Grocery store, and you really don't realize how little information is available to people untill you have 50 people a day comming in to ask you.

First off, Canada does not "technically" allow for the BGH (Bovine Growth Hormone, which is a synthetic replication of a naturally occuring hormone in cows) to be injected in to Canadian cattle. However, because of the loose restrictions, and lack of follow through on behalf of the CFIA, many farmers do in fact do this. What this hormone essentialy does, is stops the cell death in mammary glands of lactating cows, which in turn increases milk production. So perhaps THIS was the hormone you were speaking about when you mentioned that Hormones were illegal in Canada, however there are 6 other APPROVED growth hormones in Canada.

"A number of antibiotics are approved under the FDAR for use as veterinary drugs or as medicating ingredients of animal feed. Canada has also approved six growth-promoting hormones: 17 beta-estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, zeranol, trenbolone acetate, and melengestrol acetate (Orr, 1999). One growth-promoting hormone, diethylstilbesterol (DES), is prohibited under the Food and Drugs Act and Regulations (CFIA, 1990)."

Also, depending on what province you're located in, can effect whether you are actually eating meat that has been thoroughly inspected by the CFIA or not. Also, check to make sure the meat you are buying is in fact Canadian. Our grocery stores often carry meats imported from the U.S.A, escpecially in frozen form. The reason for avoiding American meat is that their food restrictions are even more lenient, even when buying organic.

To have a label saying certified organic can often be misleading. In Canada, to have a seal of Organic Certification, your food only has to be made from 95% organic compounds. If it says "Certified 100% Organic" then that is what it means, "100%."

Some products might say "Made from some Organic ingredients," which means they have a minimum of about 70% organic ingredients in the food, it does not however mean that any of the "Organic" food inside the product is "Certified."

This creates a lot of confusion for people, as in North America, it's fairly easy to have your food marked as "Organic" however, if there is no seal saying "USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC" or "CDFA CERTIFIED ORGANIC" it is meaningless, as it would not comply with the Food Drugs and Regulations Act.

As for your question about whether you can start eating regular meat again, well, to be honest I wouldnt. I suppose it depends on the type of acne you have whether or not it will affect your skin. If you have hormonal acne, I wouldn't recommend eating non-organic meat, as they add synthetic versions of hormones such as estrogen, and progesterone, which for some acne sufferers is the entire problem. From a health perspective I wouldn't risk it. The regulations for non-organic meat can mean you're ingesting sometimes dangerous chemicals, antibiotics, and hormones which can weaken your immune system and cause you to be vulnerable to other diseases.

From a financial perspective I honestly think it would be best to limit your meat intake altogether. Although, I would definetly recommend eating organic meat over eating any vegetarian soy products. Which are GMO and come with an entirely different set of nasty health no-nos.

Also it was indeed mentioned, that buying organic beef is cheaper than say chicken...which is true. From my time working in Planet Organic I definetly noticed chicken to be the most expensive, especially when buying cuts like "chicken breast." If anything go for the whole chickens, then you can freeze it I suppose.

I'm sorry for this long tirade about Organics, it is just an issue I've always been sort of passionate about.:P

Also, if anyone's interested, here is a fairly good website devoted to *trying* to explain some of Canada's regulations on meat ; Here.

If you're in the U.S. and are interested in Organic regulations, I would pick up Marion Nestle's book called "What to Eat," it's extremely informative, and a good read on food politics.

So buy regular chicken... I doubt there is a big difference. I seriously doubt that non-organic chicken breast is contributing to your acne...

"BTW, here in Canada hormones are illegal; what isn't though and is a bigger concern for me is antibiotics. If you can't afford organic meat I think regular meat is still alright here in Canada (I'd still avoid processed deli meats, hot dogs, commercial sausages -homemade ones would be ok or ones without preservatives or gluten)."

Arrrgh so untrue! This is what I hate about Health Canada and their lack of information that is released. I worked for three years in an Organic Grocery store, and you really don't realize how little information is available to people untill you have 50 people a day comming in to ask you.

First off, Canada does not "technically" allow for the BGH (Bovine Growth Hormone, which is a synthetic replication of a naturally occuring hormone in cows) to be injected in to Canadian cattle. However, because of the loose restrictions, and lack of follow through on behalf of the CFIA, many farmers do in fact do this. What this hormone essentialy does, is stops the cell death in mammary glands of lactating cows, which in turn increases milk production. So perhaps THIS was the hormone you were speaking about when you mentioned that Hormones were illegal in Canada, however there are 6 other APPROVED growth hormones in Canada.

"A number of antibiotics are approved under the FDAR for use as veterinary drugs or as medicating ingredients of animal feed. Canada has also approved six growth-promoting hormones: 17 beta-estradiol, progesterone, testosterone, zeranol, trenbolone acetate, and melengestrol acetate (Orr, 1999). One growth-promoting hormone, diethylstilbesterol (DES), is prohibited under the Food and Drugs Act and Regulations (CFIA, 1990)."

Also, depending on what province you're located in, can effect whether you are actually eating meat that has been thoroughly inspected by the CFIA or not. Also, check to make sure the meat you are buying is in fact Canadian. Our grocery stores often carry meats imported from the U.S.A, escpecially in frozen form. The reason for avoiding American meat is that their food restrictions are even more lenient, even when buying organic.

To have a label saying certified organic can often be misleading. In Canada, to have a seal of Organic Certification, your food only has to be made from 95% organic compounds. If it says "Certified 100% Organic" then that is what it means, "100%."

Some products might say "Made from some Organic ingredients," which means they have a minimum of about 70% organic ingredients in the food, it does not however mean that any of the "Organic" food inside the product is "Certified."

This creates a lot of confusion for people, as in North America, it's fairly easy to have your food marked as "Organic" however, if there is no seal saying "USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC" or "CDFA CERTIFIED ORGANIC" it is meaningless, as it would not comply with the Food Drugs and Regulations Act.

As for your question about whether you can start eating regular meat again, well, to be honest I wouldnt. I suppose it depends on the type of acne you have whether or not it will affect your skin. If you have hormonal acne, I wouldn't recommend eating non-organic meat, as they add synthetic versions of hormones such as estrogen, and progesterone, which for some acne sufferers is the entire problem. From a health perspective I wouldn't risk it. The regulations for non-organic meat can mean you're ingesting sometimes dangerous chemicals, antibiotics, and hormones which can weaken your immune system and cause you to be vulnerable to other diseases.

From a financial perspective I honestly think it would be best to limit your meat intake altogether. Although, I would definetly recommend eating organic meat over eating any vegetarian soy products. Which are GMO and come with an entirely different set of nasty health no-nos.

Also it was indeed mentioned, that buying organic beef is cheaper than say chicken...which is true. From my time working in Planet Organic I definetly noticed chicken to be the most expensive, especially when buying cuts like "chicken breast." If anything go for the whole chickens, then you can freeze it I suppose.

I'm sorry for this long tirade about Organics, it is just an issue I've always been sort of passionate about.:P

Also, if anyone's interested, here is a fairly good website devoted to *trying* to explain some of Canada's regulations on meat ; Here.

If you're in the U.S. and are interested in Organic regulations, I would pick up Marion Nestle's book called "What to Eat," it's extremely informative, and a good read on food politics.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!

Hey Honnie!! Thanks for all the info! You were really helpfull... I guess I just need to start eating more dark meat from the chicken because it is much cheaper... I have to stop being so picky... ugh haha. I am not the biggest fan of red meat.... but the thing is, I kind of need it... my naturopathic doctor days I need more iron and I think that is like the best way to get it. I need to come up with some more creative ways of cooking it... got any suggestions?? Haha...

By the way where are you from in Canada?? I live in Calgary and I go to Planet Ogranic all the time... not as much as I used to because I found out Community Natural Foods is closer to me... But I do love PO, they have more sales than CNF.... And they have a great deli! I was contemplating on working there just so I could get a discount LOL....

lucky's has 2 whole baby chicken for like 7 bucks both

This is San Francisco tho ( i think it's lower priced in other places since we are one of the mot expensive city )

Yeah San Fran was the most expensive American city I have been to haha... It's a beautiful city though!

I concur :rolleyes: ..

Oraganic food is expensive..

But the quality food is waaay worth it.

The bad thing is ,it will get worse because of our ever dwindeling ECONOMICAL CRISIS!

This is another reason I have not eaten meat at all in 3 weeks...not the only reason..but a big reason.

I know, I rarely buy organic chicken breasts because the price is ridiculous (I'm in Canada, too).

Organic ground beef is quite cheap though. I'll often add it to pasta sauce and serve it over either gluten-free pasta, or spaghetti squash or zucchini slices (the lower carb option).

How haven't you thought of buying direct from the rancher? My aunt is one of those free range ranchers and she gets people buying from her all the time. She gives them around the same price as she would a larger buyer, which doesn't include the about 200% markup by the time it gets to the store shelves.

You can buy an entire free range cow for $1500-$1800 from the rancher. That's more than a years worth of heavy meat eating for 6 or more people. Tell me that isn't cheap. I'm from Alberta so we have the same prices as you Central Canadians (maybe cheaper beef).

This also applies to chickens and lamb and whatever.

Does organic meat include grass-fed meat?? Because I think corn-fed meat is a much bigger problem to our health than hormones.

"Thanks for all the advice guys!!

Hey Honnie!! Thanks for all the info! You were really helpfull... I guess I just need to start eating more dark meat from the chicken because it is much cheaper... I have to stop being so picky... ugh haha. I am not the biggest fan of red meat.... but the thing is, I kind of need it... my naturopathic doctor days I need more iron and I think that is like the best way to get it. I need to come up with some more creative ways of cooking it... got any suggestions?? Haha...

By the way where are you from in Canada?? I live in Calgary and I go to Planet Ogranic all the time... not as much as I used to because I found out Community Natural Foods is closer to me... But I do love PO, they have more sales than CNF.... And they have a great deli! I was contemplating on working there just so I could get a discount LOL...."

I don't know about suggestions for cooking your red meat, as I'm a vegetarian hahah. But if you're interested in learning about getting plant-based iron, then I can help!:)

And I'm from the Vancouver area actually, and I worked at the Planet Organic in Port Coquitlam for a loooonng time haha. I used to work in the deli, it was such a relaxed job!:) P.S. the discount is 25% and DEFINETLY worth it.