Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Short2003

Why do I care so much what people think of me?

Ive had cystic acne for about 8 years, just lately it's gotten so bad, I started Accutane 22 days ago.. I have red marks/scars on my face and normally it's really discoloured and it is worse now with the Accutane it's dry and flakey also..

I used to never go out with out make up but since I know my skin is going through so much I've decided I'm going to try to only wear make-up when I got to work.. But when I'm out in public (even with make-up) I have this awful fear that I am going to run into people I know and it makes life in general so hard for me since I have to work, I am a mother, I take my kids to school and activities, run errands.. I've even resorted to doing most of my shopping online because I hate going out and risking seeing people. My friends want to take me out to a bar for my birthday and I'm not going.. I can't enjoy life b/c of this shit and I hate it..

I run into someone and I can see they are looking at my face and wondering wtf happened to her? I look awful and I know it..Especially since it happened so fast.. And to see the people looking at my face, I know what they are thinking.. Even strangers.. I know they think "oh, she would probably be decent looking if she didn't have such effed up skin"

Why do I/we care about this? I know I can't be the only one..

I don't know if I can handle it if the Accutane doesn't work for me...

Aw sorry :( all i can say just gotta enjoy ur life.

you have kids , Gotta be happy ;)

I hate scars but no1 is perfect , gotta deal with it. =[

Most of us know how you feel. Going out in the middle of a huge breakout is the last thing you wanna do. I had family visit who I hadnt seen in over 10 years and I was in the middle of the worst breakout I had in years.

How do u think i felt? LOL add to the fact I had to LIVE with them for 3 weeks!

Just stay positive

your skin will heal again

peace

God, we should be best friends. I'm in the same boat with hormonal cystic acne. Maybe it's just me, but acne seems more accepted from teenagers. I'm not supposed to be 26 and having the worst skin of my life. I have to force myself out of bed in the mornings to go to work. I have to force myself to go to my son's soccer games and practices. Even then, I'm in the back, hoping none of the other parents try and talk to me. You aren't alone in this. Even though it seems like everyone else has perfect skin, there are more of us out there. I don't think any of them live by me though. haha.

Aw sorry :( all i can say just gotta enjoy ur life.

you have kids , Gotta be happy ;)

I hate scars but no1 is perfect , gotta deal with it. =[

I like being at home.. When Im home my anxiety is considerably less.. I only get upset when people stop by. Then I get mad b/c I have to put on make-up.. argh!

Most of us know how you feel. Going out in the middle of a huge breakout is the last thing you wanna do. I had family visit who I hadnt seen in over 10 years and I was in the middle of the worst breakout I had in years.

How do u think i felt? LOL add to the fact I had to LIVE with them for 3 weeks!

Just stay positive

your skin will heal again

peace

Oh n03Z.. Yes, that must have been so hard.. ugh

God, we should be best friends. I'm in the same boat with hormonal cystic acne. Maybe it's just me, but acne seems more accepted from teenagers. I'm not supposed to be 26 and having the worst skin of my life. I have to force myself out of bed in the mornings to go to work. I have to force myself to go to my son's soccer games and practices. Even then, I'm in the back, hoping none of the other parents try and talk to me. You aren't alone in this. Even though it seems like everyone else has perfect skin, there are more of us out there. I don't think any of them live by me though. haha.

lol, I soooo know how you feel about avoiding parents.. I do the same thing and it's suck b/c I bet they are all nice and they probably think Im a total snotty b*tch but Im not..lol

Then when I try to explain what is going on with me to my closer friends I feel like I end up looking crazy b/c no one really understands.. and I hate when ppl say I understand or you don't look as bad as you think you do, I get so mad b/c they don't look like me and they don't know.. Well how do you think you would feel if you had my skin?!?! :snooty:

I'm in the same boat. I don't want people looking at me and thinking that I'm on drugs. I even canceled one doctor's appointment recently, did not want to deal with people staring at my face, especially here in New York where almost everybody has clear skin. I feel you my friend, i have two children and all they want is to go out when i want to go hide in a hole. But i somehow pull through most of the time and go out just so they do not feel bad.

I hope accutane clears you finally. I already did accutane twice and cleared me, but only for a couple years, my hormonal acne came back after i quit the pill recently. Wish you luck and keep you spirits up for your family!

I'm in the same boat. I don't want people looking at me and thinking that I'm on drugs. I even canceled one doctor's appointment recently, did not want to deal with people staring at my face, especially here in New York where almost everybody has clear skin. I feel you my friend, i have two children and all they want is to go out when i want to go hide in a hole. But i somehow pull through most of the time and go out just so they do not feel bad.

I hope accutane clears you finally. I already did accutane twice and cleared me, but only for a couple years, my hormonal acne came back after i quit the pill recently. Wish you luck and keep you spirits up for your family!

Seriously, if it wasn't for taking my kids out and grocery shopping I would never leave my house.. Like I mentioned above, I found an awesome website where I can get all of my drug store type things (cosmetics, bandaids, shampoo etc) so now I don't even have to go out for that.. I can't believe how much I have changed in the past few months.. It makes me so sad..

Seriously, if it wasn't for taking my kids out and grocery shopping I would never leave my house.. Like I mentioned above, I found an awesome website where I can get all of my drug store type things (cosmetics, bandaids, shampoo etc) so now I don't even have to go out for that.. I can't believe how much I have changed in the past few months.. It makes me so sad..

I wasn't going to reply but I could really relate to your last line. I feel like I've changed so much in these last few months too. I am now finishing up my third month of accutane. I am seeing so many good changes...and with makeup on my skin looks pretty good...but I can't shake that anxious feeling. When I had my horrible breakouts I literally had to drag myself to work (and at points thinking about driving in the opposite direction). All I can say is that you're doing the best possible thing for your skin. It takes awhile to realize it, and it takes so much patience (and we'll all be stronger after these crappy months) but it WILL get better. Just know that. Do you best to get out there...even if it's just to the grocery. Make small changes. I feel so uncomfortable going anywhere with my friends or family and I usually still don't go out with them, but I make sure to take a trip to target or the mall by myself to at least get out. It's hard! Baby steps, haha. Hang in there, you're going to make it!!

Yeah I know how you feel, I cancel plans all the time. Girls talk to me in class, but I ignore them and act all shy because of my acne and scars, when I really wish I could talk to them and stuff haha they are pretty too. I wish some how all people with acne could just be put in an island together and live like that we would never worry about anything, haha. Well I hope accutane works for you.

Yeah I know how you feel, I cancel plans all the time. Girls talk to me in class, but I ignore them and act all shy because of my acne and scars, when I really wish I could talk to them and stuff haha they are pretty too. I wish some how all people with acne could just be put in an island together and live like that we would never worry about anything, haha. Well I hope accutane works for you.

Yup, I didn't even bother making any birthday plans this years.. My b-days on the 11th

For once, I actually believe that acne is what makes you afraid of social interaction. Accutane will clear you up, but it's possible to overcome your fears before it does so. There's just one way to stop caring about what other people think of you - and that is to convince yourself that it doesn't. Say fuck it. Loud and clear. Brush it off with a smile when you avoid eye contact with someone, it's a mindgame you play with yourself. This sounds stupid, but I know for a fact that it's possible to "trick yourself" to become a happy person. Change your mindset and attitude, you'll be fine.

I know how you feel, today my skin doesn't look bad but dealing with eczema on top of some breakouts because of that time of the month makes me nuts! I blew off church this morning and this afternoon our class is having a golf outing and I am going to diss that too, just go for dinner after and I don't even want to do that but I feel bad that my hubby will go it alone. My girls took me out for my birthday the other day and I totally kept touching and feeling my skin, bad habit, I know but when you are my age(49) you think no one else my age looks like this, no one! So I know how it goes. Sucks but being sensitive about my age coupled with my skin being difficult makes me un sociable. Elf