Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ohtokyovogue

What do you think beauty really is

What makes someone beautiful? How can you truly define beauty in somone? I was just thinking about it earlier and it makes me so upset because it seems like there is so much pressure to be "beautiful" or "attractive" or whatever. It makes me so sick that people who are more attractive get treated better... things of that matter. I dunno I just hate how I despise myself because I gained weight. I feel like people treat me differently now that I did espically guys. I feel like I have to lose weight or its not even worth it. I hate this pressure I hate this feeling I hate how the world is when it comes to things like this. I'm so upset I feel so dumb... I just want to love myself and be confident and not let society get to me. Why does the world portray this image of beauty that is not real? Why cant people just be accepted and loved for who they are? Sometimes I just want to give up because I cant stand how things are and how I let them get to me....

What makes someone beautiful? How can you truly define beauty in somone? I was just thinking about it earlier and it makes me so upset because it seems like there is so much pressure to be "beautiful" or "attractive" or whatever. It makes me so sick that people who are more attractive get treated better... things of that matter. I dunno I just hate how I despise myself because I gained weight. I feel like people treat me differently now that I did espically guys. I feel like I have to lose weight or its not even worth it. I hate this pressure I hate this feeling I hate how the world is when it comes to things like this. I'm so upset I feel so dumb... I just want to love myself and be confident and not let society get to me. Why does the world portray this image of beauty that is not real? Why cant people just be accepted and loved for who they are? Sometimes I just want to give up because I cant stand how things are and how I let them get to me....

The fads "TV" coerce people into doing are NOTbeautiful. For example tanning or super bleached hair. They are generic, boring, uninspired, and generally a yelp for attention.

I feel bad because I can't tell you much except that I don't think any of the things "society" encourages are beautiful. I pretty much dismiss girls who show tendencies to appease hollow superficial norms. (not that I matter)

Why does the world portray this image of beauty that is not real? Why cant people just be accepted and loved for who they are?

Because men in suits want to sell you shit. :confused: People who are secure/happy don't need to upgrade their car or buy new cellphones.

Sometimes I just want to give up because I cant stand how things are and how I let them get to me....

I feel like a broken record because I say this a lot, but if you watch a lot of TV. (Even if you keep it on in the background for noise) I'd turn it off, listen to good music instead for background noise.(keyword was good) You aren't missing anything and you can stream shows you need to watch with very few commercials on the internet. (If you want some good websites PM me.)

Don't give up though.

to me...flawless skin is the most beautiful thing a person can have...

I mean even someone's feature is really...let's say....weird

but if they have flawless skin then they'll still look somewhat above average because I feel comfortable looking at them up close

to me...flawless skin is the most beautiful thing a person can have...

I mean even someone's feature is really...let's say....weird

but if they have flawless skin then they'll still look somewhat above average because I feel comfortable looking at them up close

that might very well be because you feel that YOU won't look "beautiful" until you have clear skin. it's something you focus on, so you're projecting what you want in yourself into the way you see other people. if you don't find yourself beautiful, then someone who has what you lack must be. trust me, there's way more to beauty than skin.

well, that's my two cents anyway ;)

we all have different ideas of what beauty is, and the reality is that true beauty comes from within

the problem is that society's preception of beauty is based soley on physical experience. Look at Jessia Simpson, Paris Hilton, etc. They have no talent at all; its kind of sad of they are adored because of they looks and they suck at siningin, acting, etc., they just act like bitches

and perception = reality, so thats what beauty is. beauty is looking sexy. its just one of the rules of the game, and you can't change the rules.

don't get me wrong, IMO physical apperance is an important part of beauty, but not the only part as society wants us to believe

Well, there's universally accepted physical beauty traits that our society didn't "false illusion" :/

Toned body(BMI), abs, good hip to waist ratio, height, certain facial features (like the averaged face experiment?) and... sighh.. clear skin :'( etc. etc.

It's a subjective question. Individual beauty can be many different things. However, society gives us the way, and unfortunately, many people adhere to it. [/false]

I beg to differ.

The rules of attraction are not as 'subjective' and wishy-washy as we like to make them.

Humans naturally stray away from parners with bodily/mental imperfections (i.e. attraction is mostly sub-conscience and hardwired). It's classic Darwinian 'survival of the fittest' and it's the only way our species has evolved & come this far.

I know that doesn't sound very nice. It's not what ppl want to hear (myself included). I just prefer honesty as opposed to escapism.

That said, while you may not be able to control how ppl perceive to you...you certainly CAN control how you perceive urself. This may sound wierd but while I have rather serious acne and scarring, I still consider myself pretty good-looking even though nobody else does (...or ever will). If society doesn't love you, might as well do it yourself :wub:

:') You make me cry Allan8

heheh I wish I can love myself....but I just can't, whenever I look at myself up close in the mirror I feel very sad and frustrated.

If we're talking strictly physical beauty in people, then for me it's similar to beauty in anything....proportion, good color combos, and distinctive in some way. These are basic guidelines I use to design on my job. It's always what is most appealing, but it still allows for a lot of variety.

As some people have pointed out, there's universal standards that are found in the depths of the amazon where they have no TV. However these are still quite a bit looser standards than what we're seeing in magazines.

The media's beauty ideals often play on those basic standards, and twists and takes them to extremes.

They are trying to sell things after all...

However, attraction beyond physical is where things get fuzzy. We all know how after you get to know someone your perspective of their appearance can change a lot. There's also the issue of associating certain appearances with other non-physical traits that appeal to you (whether it's true or not). I think familiarity and novelty are a part of it too....it sounds contradictory, but it often applies if you think about it.

Yeah hahah like I just can't understand how people would find beauty in very skinny models....

Their bodies just turn me off....

WOOaAHHHAHAHHHAHHHh :w00t:

I stumbled on to a few of her nude pics while searching for her *drools*

She's not THAT skinny.....

Well, there's universally accepted physical beauty traits that our society didn't "false illusion" :/

Toned body(BMI), abs, good hip to waist ratio, height, certain facial features (like the averaged face experiment?) and... sighh.. clear skin :'( etc. etc.

not really... these things vary from culture to culture and even in the same culture over time. there is one culture where fat women are sexy and the girls family will make her sit in a hut and eat very fattening foods for months to fatten her up so they can marry her off. that is just one example. also there are cultures where shorter people are considered more attractive, others where tallness is more attractive.

they might seem "universally accepted" to you but there is a lot more to the world than what you see. take an anthropology class it will open your mind.

hmMm I don't know ^_^...good point heheh, wow interesting, I've never heard about the culture where shorter people are considered more attractive.

But I guess just like what what AllanB or Siouxsie said there's the hardwired/genetics part and there's the environment/cultural part.

I guess for that culture you described instead of being influenced to look VERY skinny, they are influenced to look very fat?

Thx heheh :')... sighh I know I may have good inner traits, but what good is it if it's suppressed >.<, I get shy, fear, and feel conservative etc etc....

sighhh looks are just too important to overlook. :( *cries*