Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ohiguyz

60mg a day 25/f

So I am currently on day 2 of accutane (claravis). My dermatologist gave me a prescription for 60mg a day to start with but mentioned that she will be upping the dose to 80mg next month.

Let me just say that if my skin wasnt as bad as it currently is- I would have given up on accutane over a month ago! This stuff is harder to get your hands on than anything I have ever heard of. It doesn't help that my doctors office is full of not-so-bright nurses etc who have managed to 1. forget to enter me into ipledge system initially and then 2. entered my dob wrong into the system, thus preventing me from ever recieving my ipledge password. Anyway, after getting all of the necessary things in order and finally getting my prescription filled I was hit with the cost of this stuff.

Close to $450 w/o insurance.

(I am currently on a leave of absence from work due to my skin. I work with the public and going to work everyday added a lot to my emotional issues regarding the acne. But I'm very lucky and was wise with my money all year and have parents who are more than willing to help me if I need it).

So far I don't have any side effects but I know they are coming. I have some seriously gross cysts on the right side of my face and some smaller ones on the left, along with an irritated patch on my temple. I am so ready for this to be over. I am hoping the initial breakout happens sooner rather than later so that I can return to work. I am tired of having to hide and put any kind of a normal social life on hold. My derm wont give me any prednisone to help with the initial breakout either so I know it's going to be hell.

Anyway, does anyone know of a fairly inexpensive oil-free mousturizer / cleanser I can use instead of cetaphil. I know i'm in the minority here but I really don't like the stuff. It feels greasy, i cant stand the smell and I think it increases my breakouts.

ps- drugstore.com is having a buy 1 get 1 free sale and theres a lot of skincare stuff included if anyone is interested :)

I'm not sure if you are looking for recommendations for cleansers or moisturizers. I do use cetaphil to wash and then alba green tea & aloe moisturizer. I love it - not greasy and very light. The only setback is there is no spf, so I just add a dollop of Neutrogena 70 spf face in the mornings.

Good luck with your course!

So I am currently on day 2 of accutane (claravis). My dermatologist gave me a prescription for 60mg a day to start with but mentioned that she will be upping the dose to 80mg next month.

Let me just say that if my skin wasnt as bad as it currently is- I would have given up on accutane over a month ago! This stuff is harder to get your hands on than anything I have ever heard of. It doesn't help that my doctors office is full of not-so-bright nurses etc who have managed to 1. forget to enter me into ipledge system initially and then 2. entered my dob wrong into the system, thus preventing me from ever recieving my ipledge password. Anyway, after getting all of the necessary things in order and finally getting my prescription filled I was hit with the cost of this stuff.

Close to $450 w/o insurance.

(I am currently on a leave of absence from work due to my skin. I work with the public and going to work everyday added a lot to my emotional issues regarding the acne. But I'm very lucky and was wise with my money all year and have parents who are more than willing to help me if I need it).

So far I don't have any side effects but I know they are coming. I have some seriously gross cysts on the right side of my face and some smaller ones on the left, along with an irritated patch on my temple. I am so ready for this to be over. I am hoping the initial breakout happens sooner rather than later so that I can return to work. I am tired of having to hide and put any kind of a normal social life on hold. My derm wont give me any prednisone to help with the initial breakout either so I know it's going to be hell.

Anyway, does anyone know of a fairly inexpensive oil-free mousturizer / cleanser I can use instead of cetaphil. I know i'm in the minority here but I really don't like the stuff. It feels greasy, i cant stand the smell and I think it increases my breakouts.

ps- drugstore.com is having a buy 1 get 1 free sale and theres a lot of skincare stuff included if anyone is interested :)

My daughter uses CeraVe lotion and she is also on accutane. I find it pretty thin and therefore not as "greasy" as cetaphil. My daughter is in her third month currently on 80 mg. a day. I also had two sons go through accutane with great results. I can't wait to finished with all the timing of blood tests and doctor visits as well. I don't even know if we can plan our Thanksgiving trip because of the dates. Good luck!

I used Cetaphil antibacterial bar (not the gooey liquid stuff - I hate it too!) and Neutrogena oil-free combination skin moisturizer. That lotion is the only one I've found so far that doesn't leave my skin with a greasy shiny film on it. Unfortunately it doesn't have and spf, so I also use Bare Minerals foundation which has natural spf 15. I finished accutane 4 months ago and I'm still using those three things, nothing else, and my skin is still clear - woot! :dance:

I used Cetaphil antibacterial bar (not the gooey liquid stuff - I hate it too!) and Neutrogena oil-free combination skin moisturizer. That lotion is the only one I've found so far that doesn't leave my skin with a greasy shiny film on it. Unfortunately it doesn't have and spf, so I also use Bare Minerals foundation which has natural spf 15. I finished accutane 4 months ago and I'm still using those three things, nothing else, and my skin is still clear - woot! :dance:

I will definitely try the cetaphil bar. I prefer bar soaps anyway because I think they lather better. I will also pick up that mousturizer. Thanks for the advice and congrats on your progress! I really hope things go as well for me.

Anyway day 3 and I feel bad saying this but i'm somwhat disappointed that i'm not feeling any side effects at all. Not even dry lips. Its making me think that its not working at all and maybe my dose isnt high enough.

It is only day 3 though so I shouldn't get discouraged already. I know that it takes it course differently for everyone.

thanks for the feedback and recommendations :) hopefully ill have more to report on in the coming days.

Day 5

Lips are a little drier but definitely not unbearable. Skin is a bit drier too and is peeling over my cysts. I consider that a good thing. I think my biggest side effect is the lethargy. I always seem to be tired anyway but I just can't seem to do much besides lay around and nap the past few days. I also had a bad headache last night and woke up with it this morning. I popped 3 aleve and it subsided quickly though.

The bad breakout on the side of my mouth/chin seems to be going down in size (it's kind of like 3 large cysts molded together to great one giant patch of raised and inflamed skin. It's horrible!). I'm psyched about that. My overall face still look terrible but that's to be expected. It IS only day 5 and this stuff typically takes months to really begin to change the look of your skin. I'm still waiting for that dreaded IB though. My skin is already bad enough already without a NEW massive breakout on top of it. But I am as mentally prepared for it as possible I guess. I'm still scared about it though.

Haven't had a chance to get to the store for the products you guys reccomended so I'm still using the grosssssss cetaphil mousturizer (only before applying makeup so that it goes on smoother and looks better. I don't have much use for it other than that though) and just washing with a dial bar. I know the dial is drying and scented but I feel better knowing it's antibacterial.

I use the same makeup I have used for 2 years prior to my skin errupting (If you look at my intro post you'll see that this all happened very suddenly for me :/) so I don't really think it irritates me skin in any way. It's buildable mineral coverage so even though I still probably look like i'm wearing a cake on my face when I go out it still looks better than the WRECK it is without it.

I take 2+ showers a day now because I can't stand the feeling of my skin after a few hours. It gets so itchy and just makes me feel gross and dirty. So I take 2 or more quick showers everyday and it makes me feel a lot better. Anyone else feel this way too? I think my family is starting to wonder why the hell I'm in the shower so much :P

Day 6

Waking up this morning I noticed that my lips were dry. I was actually sort of happy about this because it confirmed that it's working. They aren't too bad though but I attribute that to the fact that I have had chapstick on them almost every hour on the hour since I took my first pill 6 days ago. But they definitely are dry and peely- not painful at all though. My sinuses are a bit dryer than normal as well but definitely nothing I can see myself getting a bloody nose over quite yet.

I know that I will regret saying this but my skin seems to be getting better. My family thinks so too. All my cysts are drying up and getting smaller. Redness has decreased a bit too and I didn't have to use as much makeup when I went out. I realize that many people experience this just before their horrid IB though so I;m still definitely anticipating that... :(

I'm still experiencing bouts of itchiness though. I really don't think it is the amount that I shower simply because I havent showered at all yet today and I'm still itchy (took a shower just before bed last night. planning on taking one right after I post this though). I hate the itchiness. My jawline (where most of my cysts are) randomly gets INSANELY itchy and I cant stand it. Maybe I will keep a cold compress in the freezer and whip it out when the itching gets too bad. Would that work??? I obviously dont wanna go putting calomine lotion on my face.

All in all I am not having a tough time with it yet. I just pray that maybe I will be what seems like one in a million who doesnt ever experience any of the negatives associated with the drug. But I don't have very good luck so I doubt it :P

I'm glad to hear your course is progressing!

Everyone's case is different, but I agree with BookLover, that taking so many showers a day may not be the best way to combat itchiness. This is assuming the itchiness is related to dry skin or irritation and not something else. My hands and arms have often gotten a bit itchy since starting accutane, so I apply lotion several times a day. I use the alba coco butter and find it is very soothing and helps with any itchiness.

Well, today marks a week that i've been on this stuff.

I woke up at 4:30am needing a drink of water. A spot that I had on the side of my chin was hurting and inflamed as well. I also noticed a few teeny tiny whiteheads had popped up on my chin. I put an ice pack on the enflamed bit on my chin off and on for about an hour. I;m not sure what good it did though. Honestly though, the teeny tiny whiteheads dont bother me at all. When youre covered in giant, crusty, enflamed cysts you tend not to sweat the small stuff.

The pre existing cysts are all still there. Still itchy. Still a major eyesore and still preventing me from living a normal life. But some have gone down in size and I'm happy with that at least. I know that they wont always be there and the fact that they are flaky tells me that they are drying out.

No other new major developments breakout wise. Maybe a tiny spot here or there. Who knows? At this point it;s hard to tell whats new and what isnt. But I do know I havent developed anything MAJOR. Thank God!

The skin on my nose is dry. My nose has never been very oily and I have never gotten a zit on it probably in my life though so it doesnt surprise me that its drier than the rest of my face. Lips are drier than usual but nothing painful or really noticeable to anyone but me.

I did have a wave of depression come over me this evening. I'm not sure if I can attribute this to accutane because I am going through some other things as well right now.

Well it's technically day 10 but its only 5am so I'm gonna say it's day 9.

Current side effects:

- dry lips are increasing steadily. Some peeling but no *cracking*. They don't hurt.

- slight "waxy" look to skin that i didnt understand when reading other peoples experinces but makes a lot of sense now. Like your skin gets to a certain degree of dryness that creates a shine.

- really odd sleeping patterns

- headaches

I am gonna go ahead and state that I KNOW my side effects are very much manageable and really dont bother me at all aside from the headaches which do go away a few minutes after taking some aleve. I have been very lucky so far.

The state of my skin has improved quite a bit as well. The cysts are still there and sometimes I feel like theyre bigger but I actually think theyre the same as before. Its just that the swelling from that one massive patch of raised and inflamed connected-cysts has gone down and I'm begining to feel them for what they actually are. Other times I feel like theyve gotten smaller. I dont know. When you have large cysts it is sometimes hard to judge wether they have made any progress or have gotten worse. The good news is that they don't *hurt*. They do itch like fuck periodically though.

That connected-cyst patch that I mentioned is getting better by the day it seems. It is really drying up and although it has a ways to go (this thing is seriously deep) I can see a steady improvement in it. I still haven't developed any new serious acne. I say serious acne because I've decided that Im not going to worry about a tiny whitehead or anything that is not cystic as long as it arrives by itself and not with 10 friends :) It's more important for me to concern myself with the cystic stuff. But truth be told, I havent really had any minor acne pop up either. Those teeeeeny whiteheads i talked about before dissapeared pretty much immediately.

The most noticeable difference though is the overall clarity of my skin. The redness has transformed into pink and i believe some of my marks are starting to fade. i can see more of my SKIN now- as oppossed to acne and inflamation. That is a really huge improvement for me. I hate looking in the mirror a little less everyday. I am actually shocked each time I look now. Dont get me wrong. I still look like shit but rather than the reaction of "omg what happen to me? it got worse since this morning!" I am now thinking "wow I cant believe this stuff is working so well already".

I know I've just written a book but I wanted to detail some of my good news on the off chance that someone can actually read it and get some encouragment from it. I am still terrified to get TOO wound up about this though because I know an IB is still a very real possibility and the longer I go with it getting better the scarier it is to think of all my progress going to shit.

QUESTION!

Can any of you tell me which pain reliever I should be using? My headaches arent that bad or that frequent but I do need a pain reliever for them. I dont wanna go taking anything that could mess with my liver. It's bad enough I gave up cocktails :P Any advice would be great. Thanks for reading :)

Well, it's now been 2 weeks. I am really feeling the side effects now. Chapped lips, super dry skin, joint aches, dry eyes, headaches, mood swings. lethargy.

Again, it's not unbearable. I'm happy that they seemed to happen gradually for me instead of them all just hitting me like a ton of bricks.

I am a self confessed picker (i know, i know...). I've gotten a lot better at it though and it's pretty obvious that it's not a good idea on accutane. It scabs up and feels terrible in texture. I now have a scabby spot near my mouth :(

The clarity of my skin is still getting better day by day. I know I should use moisterizer all the time but I opt to just put it on when I really feel I need it and right before applying makeup. I'm not even totally sure why I dont use it more. I think its because I cannot stand the feeling of running my slippery hands over the bumps. It feels disgusting and it really bugs me. I know that probably sounds kind of weird.

The other day I washed my hair and let it air dry like I always do and once it dried I couldnt believe how it felt. It was like straw! I expected it to effect the oil production close to the scalp but not the ends.

I know I asked this last time I really would like to know what you guys use for a pain killer. Is naproxen okay?

Glad to hear your course is going well! im hoping to get on accutane myself. I am a little scared so im checking out peoples logs.

I am also a picker... ha ha would have to stop if i got onto accutane thats for sure.

Just a suggestion for your hair, go to a wal mart and in around where the shampoo's or hair care products are they have hot oil treatments for your hair, my mom has really dry hair and use's it just in the tips but im sure you could put it all over, i belive its Vo5 hot oil treatment comes in a little cardboard box with 3 in it. hope that helps!

Glad to hear your course is going well! im hoping to get on accutane myself. I am a little scared so im checking out peoples logs.

I am also a picker... ha ha would have to stop if i got onto accutane thats for sure.

Just a suggestion for your hair, go to a wal mart and in around where the shampoo's or hair care products are they have hot oil treatments for your hair, my mom has really dry hair and use's it just in the tips but im sure you could put it all over, i belive its Vo5 hot oil treatment comes in a little cardboard box with 3 in it. hope that helps!

Thanks :) Dont be scared. If your skin is bothering you bad enough to even consider it then I wouldnt hesitate. The side effects arent exactly pretty but its not like it makes you walk around in agony 24/7 either.

Just thought I would stop by and give a quick update.

Theres not a whole lot to report on. I still have some cysts and I can feel another one forming but I do think the accutane has certainly cut down on the new formations by at LEAST 90% and most of the cysts I still have are reduced greatly in size. Again, the overall clarity of my skin is much better than it was....(3?) weeks ago. A really huge difference in oil production. Even before my skin turned into this mess I would have to blot a lot through the day if I wore makeup. I mean, it'd practically slide right off my face. Now I can look in the mirror after a few hours and theres no shine what-so-ever. Thats a big plus.

I'm using:

- cetaphil antibacterial bar for sensitive skin in the morning and at night (at ptunya's suggestion)

- Neutrogena oil free moisturizer (also at ptunya's suggestion)

- Aquaphor and chapstick. I pretty much use whatever is in reaching distance. I bought a pack of like 12+ chapsticks at Costco when I picked up my accutane prescription and theyre all over my house :P

The nurse at my derm's office was VERY adamant about using no other acne topicals or anything during my course so i've resisted the urge to use spot treatments and just go with the old soap and water routine.

I am slightly worried about getting my blood work done though. I haven't done any binge drinking but theres been about 3 occasions where i've had a couple of beers or glasses of wine or a sambuca. Like I said, nothing that got me drunk or anything. But my derm never mentioned not drinking so I think I should be ok. I just don't want my levels to be elevated and have her refuse to give me a prescription.

So...where to begin? I will start with my "one more reason that accutane is a giant pain in the ass" story.

I finally got health insurance and it was made active on the first of this month. My derm appointment was actually on the last of October so I went and took my brand new insurance card and my prescription to the pharmacy that very next day and was told they had to order the accutane for me and it;d take 2 days. Knowing that I had a 7 day window from the date I saw my derm til I absolutely HAD to pick it up I decided that would be fine. So I went back to the pharmacy to pick it up when they told me to and was told that my insurance did not want to cover it and I'd need a prior approval from my derm, otherwise the cost was going to be $600.

I called the derm office and the nurse was able to send through a prior approval to the insurance company but they still needed to look it over and decide wether or not to cover it. well, it gets to be the last day and I NEED the accutane. If I didnt go and pay for it out of pocket that day the precription would have been made null and void and I just did not want to go through even more bullshit regarding the situation. So after some debating with myself and discussing it with my family I went and paid for it even though I by no means could afford it.

Of course the very next day my doctor informed me that the insurance company did indeed agree to cover the cost but it was too little too late this month. I'm obviously really relieved but that $600 REALLY set me back financially and they won't reimburse me for it either.

Now that Ive gotten that out I can get down to the side effects.

I think I'm on week 6??? The headaches, muscle pain, tiredness has been replaced by depression and mood swings. I am irrational and hypersensitive. It's like I have pms on a constant basis. I'm not TOO concerned with it because I know it'll be over before I know it. It's only 3 1/2 more months. I'll get through it. I'm just in a dark place right now and Im not even sure it's completely due to accutane. I have some things going on that are stressful. Just a rough patch in my life I guess. of course acne doesn't help the situation.

And it has definitely improved. It's nowhere near where I need it to be but it's getting there and I'm confident that at the end of this I will have clear (scarred and damaged, but clear of acne at least) skin. Some days it seems to look better than others. What I absolutely love about accutane is how it's managed to dry my skin out perfectly. For a while it was too dry but it seems to have balanced itself out. Before accutane, and even before the acne took over, my face was sooooo oily all the time. I would put makeup on and within 20 minutes it would begin to melt. I would blot all day long and it still didnt help. I never ever worry about that anymore :)

I hope you start feeling better soon! Your skin will clear up before you know it :) Sorry about all the insurance stuff- what a pain!