Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PimplesSUCK

PEOPLE WHO TOOK ANTIBIOTICS!!!?

Ok I don't really have acne, or maybe I just have a real mild case or something, but I usually have like 3 to 5 pimples on my face at any given time. Somtimes more and sometime less. But I'm ususally never completely clear. I also have these little white bumps under my mouth and there are like a million of them! So anyways I started using this regemen and I started using almost a month ago and there is like no improvment and I don't know what to do! Its not really working. Its not preventing new ones from forming so its doing jack. And besides it sucks going to bed everynight with a dry, irriated face from 2.5% BP cream. I started out using 5% and that was hell and then I switch to 2.5% about a week and a half ago so I don't know if that did anything. But anyways I have appt. with a dermetologist March 4. MARCH 4, god they can't get my in any soon?! That really ticks me off to. So I have like a month and a week left. I really want to get some pill or something cause I'm sick of fucking creams. I'm going to see if I can get antibiotics or something. I really want. I think they would really help me out since I don't have too many pimples, but thats the thing do you think they will even give them to me? Like what if I really want them, they should be pretty good about that, u think? Do antibiotics clear up those small white bumps? Please anyone who use antibtioics or anyone with experience with them please tell me your story and help me out!

i took minocin 2 years ago and it did wonders for my skin. it completely cleared me up and fast too. unfortunately the doctor only put me on it for a month and soon as my medication was up the acne slowly came back. now its even worst and minocin doesn't work anymore. i guess, if you find that the antibiotics are working, stay on them.

and man... you're lucky if you only have to wait a month. i have to make my dermatologist appointments at least 4 to 6 months in advance. its insane. and both times i made an appointment i had to cancel them because there was no way i couldve made it to them. so because of that i have yet to see a dermatologist.

well you don't really know what those little white bumps are yet. They could be warts or white heads too. I have a medical book that shows all sorts of pictures of different skin conditions and a lot of them look lik acne even though their not. They may need a different treatment. Something that I do is I wash with a gentle antibiotic soap. I believe this really helps me along with using the bp. And dont forget to apply moisturizer. You may have been using too much too. I only use half a pea size for my chin area where I break out really badly. I had redness the first night and I broke out the 2nd and 3rd day and then it all went away. Now my skin feels so great and the peeling is gone.

yep first determine if it is acne. it sounds like impetigo. a bacterial infection that occurs mostly around the mouth. use an antibiotic wash like nostrum ac with benzothonium chloride to help you in the meantime. good luck!

Hi PIMPLESsuck,

Hi, I don't know how familiar you are with antibiotics, so forgive me if I'm telling you stuff that you already know. :)

Generally, antibiotics do work to clear up acne. All antibiotics do is kill acne bacteria. ("Anti-" = against and "bio-" = life, i.e. bacteria.) They don't do anything about oil production or the root causes of acne. They just kill the bacteria that cause the inflammation after. Sort of like treating the symptoms of a cold, but not the reason you keep getting sick. Get it?

After you stop taking antibiotics, and the docs only will give you enough for a few months at most (a "cycle" of antibiotics) your acne might come back. Mine did. The more you take the antibiotics, the more the bacteria that cause acne become resistant to them to the point where they don't work anymore. For example, I took minocycline (one of the most frequently-prescribed antibiotics for acne, also called Minocin) 3 times in one year and by the third time it didn't do jack.

So my advice to you is to find a natural or over-the-counter remedy for your acne. If you are a teenager, you might grow out of it. Cross your fingers and use benzoyl peroxide (go easy on it, maybe just 2.5% from now on and use a moisturizer afterwards on top of it.)

Hope this helps,

Julie

I don't think I have a skin disease or anything like that. The whitebumps are like clogged pores or something, they just don't have a white head and they aren't red or anything. But like if I squeeze them puss comes out just like if you squeezed a pimple so ya. And sometimes I do get whiteheads there, so ya they are just like pimples that haven't quite formed yet, if that makes anysense.

i've been taking anti biotics (says oxytetracycline on the packet) for a while. my acne started to improve a fair bit and 1 side of my face was very clear (was doing the regimen).

unfortuantly I got out of sync with the tablets and missed a few, and had rather a bad breakout that i'm still recovering from.

so if you start taking anti biotics keep at them regually, miss a few and its like getting knocked down to the bottom of the ladder.

<--- is now going to take them

I don't know if this will work for you but I had the same problem on my cheeks. I had these little bumps, weren't really white just if a light hit them the right way, and I used Aquaphor. This is a treatment for intensly dry skin so obviously I accidently got it on my cheeks somehow. It was incredible though, they were GONE when I woke up the next morning! You might wanna try this while waiting for your appointment?

Hmm, i've been using antibiotics for the most part of four years now, and to tell you the truth, overall, it hasn't helped me much at all. Sure, as it was mentioned before, the spots do clear up while you are taking it, but the minute i came off the antibiotics, they came back again. Plus, it didn't remove all of my spots and blackheads, just some of them. I 've decided to start the acne regimen and stop using antibiotics, cos at the rate i'm going, those dematologists are going to put me on antibiotics for the rest of my life. So I guess antibiotics work best for those with short term flare ups and not chronic acne like mine. Btw, i was on doxycycline and tetracycline.

I'm in the same position as the previous poster. I've been using tetracycline for oh, about over 6 years now and even though I often hear that long-term use of antibiotics like this is bad, I've tried a few times in the past 6 months going cold-turkey and stopping tetracyline altogether. Of course, each time that I do this, my acne comes back with a vengeance.

I still do suffer from acne at the age of 22, which makes it a 10+ year battle, and I have to say, at least I don't get the big nasty zits like I used to anymore, which I attribute to tetracyline. Not perfect, but I would hate to consider my face if I didn't have take this. It's tiresome to take these pills and I'm starting to notice the stomach aches more and more, but the alternative isn't all that preferable.

Cheers

My derm. recommended me doxycycline along with different types of topical gels and creams.I took doxy. for two days and it damaged my esophagus badly.I was not even able to swallow water,it was hurting so badly.I couldn't eat or drink anything for two -three days.My condition was so bad that i had to go to hospital in emergency.I was thinking at that time that i could live with acne but not with that severe pain.Those topical gels was doing nothing but irritating my skin only.I would never prefer to visit derm. for acne in future.

ok, i am 16 years old with a pretty clean face. it wasnt always like that though. i have had my days. i am using tazorac and gly derm geantle cleanser with a moisterizer (did i murder that word spelling wise lol). i was on doxcycline for like 6 months right then i caught a cold and my face broke out really bad. i could no longer take doxycycline with my new perscription. i got this other stuff that was for my cold which also helps with acne. eventually my perscription ran out and i had to go back to my doxycycline. i didnt thought, i stopped taking an antibiotic at all. i went throught the immediate breakouts and stayed faithful to my meds and didnt pick at my face or anything just did things right and im happy i did. my face improved with time. i guess maybe im not sure but when your on antibiotics maybe your body becomes dependent on them so when you come off them your body cant fight the bacteria. but i think with time your body heals or recovers. im not de though but i do no one thing my face really came back to life. it is healthy now and is balanced not too greasy not too dry. hopefull thats helpful.

ok, i was on doxycycline a year ago and i cleared up really, really well, breaking out with only one or two zits at most during that time of the month. Anyway i stayed clear for around half a year or so after i stopped taking them, but like most people, my acne came back. So i was put on doxycline again, now i'm taking a pill a day. my face improved, although i'm not sure whether its the antibiotic or dan's regiment that's working. i still get zits, but its definately better than what i had previously (my whole left cheek had more than 10 cystic zits at that point of time). I didn't touch those cysts and all i have now are the red marks which are slowly disappearing...

In conclusion, i think antibiotics worked pretty well for me but i guess it also depends on individuals. Oh and as for side effects, i never really had any except when i took the pills on an empty stomach (vomitted, nausea). Not sure whether the pimples will come back worse after this antibiotic cycle though, i hope not.

i think clearlightr may e opition so you don't have to worry about resistance with antiboitcs, after treamtent get maintenace trteamtents that could be an option

Hi there. I was put first on topical antibiotics a few years ago, and at first the topical combo (there were two at one time) worked, then it stopped after a few months. Every derm I went to tried the topical, then put me on oral antibiotics. Last year I tried the minocyclin twice, no help. Then the regular g.p. put me on 500 mg. erythromycin and I had nothing but naseau, even when I cut down on dose. All the derms could throw at me was antibiotics prescriptions. Then the last one suggested birth control (which does not work forever either, esp. if you go off the pill) or as a last desparate measure, Accutane.

It was then I went to the naturopath and got help. I took the homeopathic remedy one time she prescribed for me, as a person who does not just have acne but a whole person, and I had an awful breakout but then my skin has become less oily. If you want to see my story, go to Regimen Results under newcastlegirl, for details. Anyway, I do put on any cystic acne a topical natural vitamin compound called Niacinimide Cream and this has been great for those cystic acne. It is compared to the topical antibiotic called Clindomycin only far more effective and does not lose its effectiveness like an antibiotic will do. Take lots of vites, minerals, and that has had helped me the most longterm.

Hope that helps,

Karen