Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AEBernero23

Low Glycemic Index/Inflammation And Hormones

I never thought I would be back on this site. I thought I had washed my hands clean of acne after I endured 7 grueling months of Accutane. It worked. For 18 glorious months I had beautiful flawless skin. Then BAM!!!! Back with a vengeance. It started out with one or two spots, then steadily grew. My poor husband.... I became so depressed. The idea of going back on accutane was excruciating and we had been discussing trying to get pregnant in a few months. There was no way I was going to go back. So I hopped back onto my trusty computer and began researching everything under the sun that relates to acne. I spent countless hours reading post after post on this site and I finally found the solution that has worked for me. I thought -- ok. If my acne came back -- why? I read all about adult female acne and hormones (I won't bore you with what you probably already know) and I considered Spiro for about 10 seconds before I came across information on Saw Palmetto. Supposedly this stuff can act as an androgen blocker for DHT. I thought why not. I scooped a gigantor bottle of this stuff from GNC (standardized) and took it for 2 months with no results. Ok. Back to square one. So I researched how diet can effect our hormones and that's where I hit the bullseye. I came across some articles on foods that significantly elevate blood sugar and how they wreak havoc on our hormones. I won't get into the science or details, there is plenty of information on the net that you can find. It turns out that these same foods also play a significant role in inflammation. Inflammation in the body can also wreak havoc on the hormones (I don't think this is a coindence). So I decided that I was going to embark on a low glycemic, anti-inflammatory eating plan (I hate the word diet). Now, it's by no means easy. At least at first. But I'm starting to really get the hang of it and my skin is incredibly clear. My scars are still there (lightened significantly) but no new breakouts in weeks. For me, that's incredible, as I had one to two new ones a day. I also discovered that Omega 6 makes me break out like nobody's business, so my omega 3,6,9 supplement was absolutely counter-productive. Since I realized that it was the omega 6 and researched what omega 6 is I started cutting out all processed foods with oils that contain Omega 6 (soybean, corn, etc). Now I know that we need some Omega 6, but now I make all of my food from scratch and I know exactly what kinds of oils I'm eating that contain Omega 6 (mainly Olive oil). I do still take an Omega 3 Salmon Oil Supplement. I'm also taking Turmeric twice a day to help with inflammation. So in summary -- my skin is glowing and clear and all I did was change my eating habits. I would be happy to explain what I do in more detail to anyone who is interested. I am so ready to help people kick acne is the butt!!! I hope that some people find help with this!!!!

Thanks for listening the rant!!! Oh and by the way -- most foods that are high in glycemic load also happen to be inflammatory -- made cutting foods out a lot easier.

Here's what I do:

-Low Glycemic Index/Load Eating Plan

-combined with-

-Anti-Inflammatory Eating Plan

-Loads of H2O

-Turmeric 2x Daily

-Exfoliate 3x Week (Electric Toothbrush Method)

-Wash & Tone with Niora Alpha Clear 2x Daily

I still dont really get the glycemic index food group x_x

I mean it would be much easier if they have listed the number on the label

what's the common food u eat on daily basis now ? :D

Would it ever!!!! If all the food I ate had a glycemic rating on it I could have saved tons of hours of research. It would save diabetics a great deal of stress too. Oh well. What do I eat???? I eat tons of stuff. When money isn't tight I eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies like apples, pears, plums, oranges, spinach (lots of spinach -- I eat the fresh leaves plain with my hands), bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower (I mash these instead of potatoes), celery...... (I avoid bananas, watermelon, pineapple, carrots(I only eat once and awhile), potatos - except sweet or yams(each only once and while)). When money is tight I stock up on all the frozen varieties (never canned). I've pretty much replaced all bread, rice, and pasta with beans. I never ate beans until now and I was shocked to discover how cheap they are. I can buy a 2 lb. bag of garbanzo beans or white navy (or any kind you like) and I can make a giant pot of curried Garbanzo beans and a tub of hummus that will feed my husband and I for 4 or 5 meals. There are great recipes on the internet for different kinds of bean medleys and soups. I only use olive oil in my cooking, and very minimally. I eat eggs (mostly the whites -- hard boiled, egg white omelettes, egg salad (homemade mayo - store bought stuff contains soybean oil). I eat mostly chicken, some fish and I red meat about once a week. As a sugar substitute I've been using agave nectar which has a very minimally effect on blood sugar and is not a chemical. The other night I microwaved some apple slices until they were nice and soft and then I sprinkled cinnamon over the top and drizzled a little agave and I was in baked apple heaven!!!! I also grabbed some pure 100% cocoa powder and almond milk (dairy makes me -- well -- let's just say uncomfortable in the bowel region) and I heated up the almond milk in sauce pan, added the cocoa and some agave and voila glycemic friendly hot chocolate. Lastly, I don't want to suffer through the holidays without any delicious baked and yummy treats so I've been experimenting with all of my favorite recipes by substituting with almond or garbanzo bean flour and agave. I also made almond flour pancakes that were to die for!!!! I use the dark agave nectar as syrup!!!! That being said -- I still have to curb my sugar cravings as too much of anything can be bad -- even the agave. Just stick to one serving and you'll be great. Finally, if it doesn't have one or a few single ingredients at most -- I don't buy it. That pretty much knocks out all processed food. At that point I have to get creative and find a way to make it or learn to live without it. Of course if it has any vegetable oils in it (Soybean, corn, etc.) or HFCS then it's also a no go. It sounds more complicated than it really is. If you are used to cooking homemade meals then it really is just a matter of adjusting the ingredients. It may also be difficult to get your loved ones to understand why fritos don't fit into your new eating plan...;0) I can give you some recipes if you want. I just google whatever I'm looking for and usually something good comes up. Just remember that anything with a glycemic index above 70 is waaaaaay bad!!!! Between 50-70 is moderate and should be eaten minimally. Below 50 is good. The lower the better. Here's a link:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=32

Hope this helps!!!!

Would it ever!!!! If all the food I ate had a glycemic rating on it I could have saved tons of hours of research. It would save diabetics a great deal of stress too. Oh well. What do I eat???? I eat tons of stuff. When money isn't tight I eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies like apples, pears, plums, oranges, spinach (lots of spinach -- I eat the fresh leaves plain with my hands), bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower (I mash these instead of potatoes), celery...... (I avoid bananas, watermelon, pineapple, carrots(I only eat once and awhile), potatos - except sweet or yams(each only once and while)). When money is tight I stock up on all the frozen varieties (never canned). I've pretty much replaced all bread, rice, and pasta with beans. I never ate beans until now and I was shocked to discover how cheap they are. I can buy a 2 lb. bag of garbanzo beans or white navy (or any kind you like) and I can make a giant pot of curried Garbanzo beans and a tub of hummus that will feed my husband and I for 4 or 5 meals. There are great recipes on the internet for different kinds of bean medleys and soups. I only use olive oil in my cooking, and very minimally. I eat eggs (mostly the whites -- hard boiled, egg white omelettes, egg salad (homemade mayo - store bought stuff contains soybean oil). I eat mostly chicken, some fish and I red meat about once a week. As a sugar substitute I've been using agave nectar which has a very minimally effect on blood sugar and is not a chemical. The other night I microwaved some apple slices until they were nice and soft and then I sprinkled cinnamon over the top and drizzled a little agave and I was in baked apple heaven!!!! I also grabbed some pure 100% cocoa powder and almond milk (dairy makes me -- well -- let's just say uncomfortable in the bowel region) and I heated up the almond milk in sauce pan, added the cocoa and some agave and voila glycemic friendly hot chocolate. Lastly, I don't want to suffer through the holidays without any delicious baked and yummy treats so I've been experimenting with all of my favorite recipes by substituting with almond or garbanzo bean flour and agave. I also made almond flour pancakes that were to die for!!!! I use the dark agave nectar as syrup!!!! That being said -- I still have to curb my sugar cravings as too much of anything can be bad -- even the agave. Just stick to one serving and you'll be great. Finally, if it doesn't have one or a few single ingredients at most -- I don't buy it. That pretty much knocks out all processed food. At that point I have to get creative and find a way to make it or learn to live without it. Of course if it has any vegetable oils in it (Soybean, corn, etc.) or HFCS then it's also a no go. It sounds more complicated than it really is. If you are used to cooking homemade meals then it really is just a matter of adjusting the ingredients. It may also be difficult to get your loved ones to understand why fritos don't fit into your new eating plan...;0) I can give you some recipes if you want. I just google whatever I'm looking for and usually something good comes up. Just remember that anything with a glycemic index above 70 is waaaaaay bad!!!! Between 50-70 is moderate and should be eaten minimally. Below 50 is good. The lower the better. Here's a link:

Hope this helps!!!!

Cold potatoes, cooked and left in fridge for 24 hours have almost half the glycemic index. Put vinegar on them and it is even less. Same applies to cold pasta and rice. Although I avoid gluten.

I also keep portions of calorifically dense carbs very low.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistant_starch

Cold potatoes, cooked and left in fridge for 24 hours have almost half the glycemic index. ... Same applies to cold pasta and rice.

I've not heard that claim before. What do you suppose happens to the starch from potatoes, rice, and pasta while sitting in the fridge that causes it to be digested more slowly?

Congratulations. My skin cleared within two months of following an anti-inflammatory diet.

Remember bad fats are also inflammatory, not just high glycemic foods. I don't actually worry about glycemic index. It just eat real nutrient dense food.

Hope this helps!!!!

<3333

agave triggers my acne x_x I tried it once in my lemonade and broke up within the same night

maybe Im sensitive to it... I use stevia only for now( the NOW brand's pure stevia is the best..the only brand that's 100% stevia with nothing else...others all have rice and malt something as a stabilizer)

oo btw watch out for RAW spinach for its oxalic acid.... it has to be boiled for at least 3 mins to get rid 50% of it..

but of course if u r not sensitive to it then it's ok~!

i love baking with almond flour toooo!! Im experimenting with carbquik now( i dunno if it's low glycemic or not..but it sure is low carb )

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/sea.../almond%20flour

love this site~*!

Hope this helps!!!!

<3333

agave triggers my acne x_x I tried it once in my lemonade and broke up within the same night

maybe Im sensitive to it... I use stevia only for now( the NOW brand's pure stevia is the best..the only brand that's 100% stevia with nothing else...others all have rice and malt something as a stabilizer)

oo btw watch out for RAW spinach for its oxalic acid.... it has to be boiled for at least 3 mins to get rid 50% of it..

i love baking with almond flour toooo!! Im experimenting with carbquik now( i dunno if it's low glycemic or not..but it sure is low carb )

love this site~*!

really????? Agave triggers your acne? Hmmmmm??? I will have to keep an eye out for that. I don't eat it often enough to tell. I eat enhanced sweets rarely. Stevia kills me though. For some reason I get a skull splitting headache from the stuff. I don't think I'm sensitive to oxalic acid. I've only ever eaten spinach raw (the taste cooked is so unpleasant to me) and I've never had any reaction. WHat happens if you have a sensitivity to oxalic acid?

Congratulations. My skin cleared within two months of following an anti-inflammatory diet.

Remember bad fats are also inflammatory, not just high glycemic foods. I don't actually worry about glycemic index. It just eat real nutrient dense food.

Bad fats for sure!!!! Like I said earlier -- Omega 6 kills my skin and I don't know the science behind it -- but I'm convinced that Omega 6 is lurking in all of the vegetable oils used in processed and pre-cooked foods. That especially includes that nasty little bugger Soybean Oil!!!!! As for the Glycemic index thing -- I got my mom started on it (she's been suffering from adult acne for 20 years now -- and she's noticed a huge improvement in her skin as well. She's not as sensitive to Omega 6 as I am so she still uses some processed stuff (My husband is the same -- an abundance of Omega 6 just does not register on his face like it does mine -- WHAT THE HECK????). Anyhow -- If I avoid the nasty oils and make certain to eat the right foods to keep my blood sugar from soaring through the roof I get clear beautiful skin!!!!! Who knew. Thanks for the support!!!! Everyone here is so freakin sweet!!!!

Hope this helps!!!!

Cold potatoes, cooked and left in fridge for 24 hours have almost half the glycemic index. Put vinegar on them and it is even less. Same applies to cold pasta and rice. Although I avoid gluten.

I also keep portions of calorifically dense carbs very low.

Interesting. I don't know about "cold" potatoes, but I do know that any vegetable raw has a lower glycemic index than if it's cooked. It has something to do with the break-down of the sugars. Potatoes just aren't delicious enough to risk it. It's all the other stuff that you put in/on that make them delicious. I'll stick with cauliflower and parsnips as my potato replacement. Cold pasta and rice???? This just seems like a strange myth to me perpetuated by someone who has a vested interest in these products (I don't mean you). It's like the cigarette companies saying there's less nicotine in a cigarette if you just stick it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Why not splash some vinegar on it as well and cut out another fraction???? LOL. I don't know.

Hope this helps!!!!

<3333

love this site~*!

really????? Agave triggers your acne? Hmmmmm??? I will have to keep an eye out for that. I don't eat it often enough to tell. I eat enhanced sweets rarely. Stevia kills me though. For some reason I get a skull splitting headache from the stuff. I don't think I'm sensitive to oxalic acid. I've only ever eaten spinach raw (the tasted cooked is so unpleasant to me) and I've never had any reactiuon. WHat happens if you have a sensitivity to oxalic acid?

too much oxalic acid makes u get kidney stones x_x

http://growingtaste.com/oxalicacid.shtml

Hope this helps!!!!

<3333

love this site~*!

really????? Agave triggers your acne? Hmmmmm??? I will have to keep an eye out for that. I don't eat it often enough to tell. I eat enhanced sweets rarely. Stevia kills me though. For some reason I get a skull splitting headache from the stuff. I don't think I'm sensitive to oxalic acid. I've only ever eaten spinach raw (the tasted cooked is so unpleasant to me) and I've never had any reactiuon. WHat happens if you have a sensitivity to oxalic acid?

too much oxalic acid makes u get kidney stones x_x

http://growingtaste.com/oxalicacid.shtml

I've been eating spinach for decades and I seem to be fine -- no stones here. I think I'll take my chances.

too much calcium and too little magnesium will cause kidney stones

so just balance it

congrats for your success!

Just want to add to those of you just discovering the glycemic index, that:

1) It's the glycemic index of the entire meal that matters, not each food. Fat and protein can lower the glycemic effect of other foods, so there's no reason to avoid nutritionally dense fruits and vegetables, that are also anti-inflammatory despite their sugar content, just because they might have a high glycemic index.

2) Binge eating anything can spike your blood sugar. Even protein and fat.

3) All this applies to drinks as well. Actually especially to drinks. I've noticed a lot of people following strict diet plans and it not working then it turns out they've kept up their starbucks frappicino habit or something.

this kind of reminds me of the perricone diet. Are you familiar with that? whats difference from him and yours? i have a lot of questions! is evaporated cane juice still bad? which kind of milk should i drink soy, real milk, or almond?