Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wisegurl

Spiro and Aldactone

Just wanted to add... Spiro and Aldactone are the same thing. I've noticed that everyone is calling it spiro and probably wasn't aware that they are the same. That may be why noone has replied to my post. Lol=)

I have used spiro for almost a year and it did improve my skin but I still breakout constantly so my derm put me on aldactone to see if that worked better, i did see great improvement in the beginning but then my acne came back worse. it was really expensive so went back to spiro

Spironolactone is the generic of Aldactone. My derm says Aldactone works better, but I always get the spiro because thats what the insurance covers.

Have you had any side effects from it? How well did it work for you? I haven't started it and Im not sure if Im going to. Hate taking meds :doubt:

Aldactone and spiro have the same active ingredients, just different brands. Aldactone has worked AMAZINGLY for me and I haven't had any side effects except for a few muscle cramps in my legs because I wasn't drinking enough water and got dehydrated (I hate drinking water). I am very sensitive to medications so I would think the average person wouldn't have any problems taking Aldactone. If you are worried about your potassium levels getting too high their is an easy solution. Go every 3 months and get your blood checked at a clinic (I use labcorp www.labcorp.com). If your dermotologist writes you a script for this, most insurances do it for free without a copay. I would start with 25 mg twice a day. Some people on posts have complained that they were getting headaches but they were taking 50 mg twice a day. Also, be patient because it will take your body 3-4 months to get fully adjusted and for the medicine to work.

GOOD LUCK!!!

When I first started taking aldactone my dermatologist swore it would only take 6-8 weeks to take effect. But to my dismay, it took 5 months to do ANYTHING.. however, after the 5 months my skin miraculously became clear in a matter of days.. i have been on aldactone for about 8 months now, and since month 5, I haven't had one break out.. amazing!!!

So anyone in their first few months, stick with it! dont give up!!

The only downside is that i have pretty much lost my sex drive completely, but after struggling with my skin for so long its still worth it to me to have clear skin