Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drainer15

Step backward after success with low carb diet?

Anyone else here on a low carb diet experience success, then a relapse? I've been on one for the past three weeks and I've been extremely thrilled with the results so far. I typically eat:

Meat

Fish

Vegatables

Eggs

One green apple per day

Chicken broth

Cashew butter

Almond butter

As you can imagine, it's pretty boring and tough to do when my family is eating pizza, cookies, ice cream, etc. But I do it because it works. Doing this I cleared up...fast. Like 100% clear in a few weeks, just by eating low carb (I had already eliminated sugar and dairy for the past year, but never took it to the point I'm at now).

UNTIL NOW.

I just had a relatively bad breakout with several nodules and whiteheads and I haven't had anything to eat in the past week that I can pinpoint as the cause. Normally, say if I eat a carb heavy meal or some peanuts or something, I break out badly a few days later. But with this, it's been completely random.

I switched from cashew butter to almond butter last friday, but thats about it. Does anyone here have problems with almonds?

More generally speaking, those of you on low carb diets, have you experienced success, then had problems again?

Anyone else here on a low carb diet experience success, then a relapse? I've been on one for the past three weeks and I've been extremely thrilled with the results so far. I typically eat:

Meat

Fish

Vegatables

Eggs

One green apple per day

Chicken broth

Cashew butter

Almond butter

As you can imagine, it's pretty boring and tough to do when my family is eating pizza, cookies, ice cream, etc. But I do it because it works. Doing this I cleared up...fast. Like 100% clear in a few weeks, just by eating low carb (I had already eliminated sugar and dairy for the past year, but never took it to the point I'm at now).

UNTIL NOW.

I just had a relatively bad breakout with several nodules and whiteheads and I haven't had anything to eat in the past week that I can pinpoint as the cause. Normally, say if I eat a carb heavy meal or some peanuts or something, I break out badly a few days later. But with this, it's been completely random.

I switched from cashew butter to almond butter last friday, but thats about it. Does anyone here have problems with almonds?

More generally speaking, those of you on low carb diets, have you experienced success, then had problems again?

Did you eat more than usual?

Too much fat or protein can induce hyperglycemia, but it does take a hell of a lot.

Too much fat of course can cause hyperlipidemia which is implicated in diabetes and acne.

http://jhs.pharm.or.jp/53(5)/53_596.pdf

It is easy to overeat fat. I am on a relatively low carb diet, and if I over eat sardines I will break out, although extremely mild compared to carb binge induced acne.

I would not be surprised if nuts are a problem. Cordain identified peanuts as a problem.

I avoid legumes as lentils even cause me a problem.

Meat

Fish

Vegatables

Eggs

One green apple per day

Chicken broth

Cashew butter

Almond butter

UNTIL NOW.

im on low carb diet too

I do eat some high carb stuff once in a while and they dont affect me at all ( by high carb stuff I mean some beans...carbquik bake mix <--- must have if u r on low carb diet n want to bake stuff...it tastes better than the normal thing.... but I still absolutely not going to eat potato and plain rice)

as long as u dont eat a bunch of carb in all a sudden then u should be fine...

though I wouldnt eat too much nut butter and beans~ they are the hardest group for us to digest

Depends on how much carbs you eat per day. If you were in ketogenesis for the entire three weeks that could account for the relapse. Also, if you can give it up, getting rid of almond butter might help.

There are definitely some people here that break out from nuts, especially almonds.

Other things you might want to try:

- Add some more calcium to your diet in the form of cheese.

- Make sure you are sleeping right.

- Make sure you are getting lots of vitamin D from the sun.

- Try adding more carbs back in, especially if you are craving them.

There are definitely some people here that break out from nuts, especially almonds.

Thanks for your input. I really enjoy reading your website.

Would a calcium supplement have the same effect? I'm a little wary about dairy. What makes cheese different from milk?

Also, how would adding more carbs back in benefit me?

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Thanks for your input. I really enjoy reading your website.

Would a calcium supplement have the same effect? I'm a little wary about dairy. What makes cheese different from milk?

Also, how would adding more carbs back in benefit me?

Thanks again for the help everyone.

A calcium supplement would have a similar effect, but its hard to gauge how much calcium you should take when you take a supplement. Generally you can figure out how much cheese is right for you simply based on how good it tastes to you and how much you crave it.

A lot of people do better with cheese than milk because most cheeses have very little lactose compared to milk. Also, raw, organic and grassfed cheese is always going to be better than conventional cheese.

Not everyone does best following a very low carb diet. Different people do better with different amounts of carbs. So you may have to experiment a bit to figure out what amount of carbs are best for you.