Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
punchito

The concept of 'absorption'

Hey everyone,

I know that w/ Accutane you are supposed to "immediately take after food, preferably a fatty meal or milk", and that this is apparently best, but why exactly?

Does this mean that I'll simply have less of a stomach ache? Or that the drug is passing in one end, out the other without being absorbed by the body?!?!

I'm worried that the times that I've swallowed Accutane after a healthy low-fat meal, or on an empty stomach are a waste or something.

Can someone please explain the chemical processes involved? All I want to know that 100% of the Vitamin A I've ingested over the last 8(!) months has been working towards clearing me up when I get off the drug in a few days...

Don't worry. Your body was absorbing that accutane...there is theory and some scientific proof to say that accutane is processed by your digestive system in a more efficient way with fats. So, your pill was digested, just perhaps not as quickly and efficiently as it would've been with a high fat content. Don't have regrets about your diet now. A high-fat diet for the sake of ridding yourself of acne is not exactly going to win your doctor's praise either.

Congrats on making it through 8 months. I do salute the struggle.

In solidarity,

joliecamee

Vit A is a fat soluble vitamin so it actually needs fat to help transport it into our bloodstream. The more fat content in your meal, the more available seats there are on the bus to get over to the liver to be metabolized. If you have taken accutane without food (fat) chances are good that you wasted out more than 99% of the drug. Same goes for vitamins D, E and K; so if you are taking a vit E supplement try to take that with a meal as well.

Doh! Now I don't know what to believe :o

What if, for example, I took the Accutane 30 minutes after a meal, e.g. eating out then going home? Is there a time limit, or is it okay as long as I haven't taken a dump?

p.s. cheers joliecamee, hoping ur correct... solidarity!

Sometimes I don't eat that much in the morning, but am I still getting the absorption with a really big glass of 2% milk?