Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
B-rit

How often should i be cleaning my makeup brushes?

I use Bare Minerals... and I noticed i don't clean the brushes that often...

hmmm... not sure if this could be hurting my face

how often do you think they should be cleaned?

wow really? I clean mine once a month... wow gross.

Not really sure if this would cause acne..since I have always cleaned them this way, and I had clean skin last year... but thats not to say it wouldn't help

I have them in a clean place, and i only put makeup on a clean face.

Doesn't that trash your brushes? or do they hold up pretty good?

Not sure if cleaning brushes too much would damage faster (prob. depends on what cleaner you use and how hard you clean) but definitely, definitely clean at least twice a week, in my opinion. Clean brushes -> less bacteria on face -> maybe less acne -> face more worth it than brushes.

Yes, but when you sweat or something, you use the powder and brush to retouch. I personally get grossed out so i HAVE to wash em or I just won't use it. I'm a little OCD with my skin :)

Yes, but when you sweat or something, you use the powder and brush to retouch. I personally get grossed out so i HAVE to wash em or I just won't use it. I'm a little OCD with my skin :)

I don't ever reply makeup during the day ( i know weird)... i actually wear a very thin layer to begin with... I still have my starter kit from every day minerals and its been over 10 months.

But your theory does make sense... I guess I will try to wash them at least twice a week.

Currently I just use my shampoo to wash them and make sure to rinse well. The lady at the mac counter said that they are made of real hair, and that using your shampoo was the perfect way to clean them.

I wash mine once a week in Cetaphil. I don't do touch-ups either so the brush isn't touching "dirty" skin to begin with, but still, I have a weekly cleaning routine for the entire house so that's when the brushes get washed.

I used to be really good with washing them every day, but now it's typically every other day. I figure every little bit counts in trying to get clear skin...

I never thought of using shampoo. I suppose it would be cheaper than buying their brush shampoo! Do you pretty much just do it the way you would wash your hair brush? A little bit of shampoo, rub in, rinse, and let dry? Hmm...may have to try that tomorrow...

I use Bare Minerals... and I noticed i don't clean the brushes that often...

hmmm... not sure if this could be hurting my face

how often do you think they should be cleaned?

I think they should be cleaned everyday especially if you are acne prone. I recommend the MAC brush cleanser. It works like a charm and it takes like no time! Just grab a paper towel, apply some of the cleanser and sweap your brush back and forth where you put the cleanser.

MAC's brush cleanser is pretty good.. A good alternative is Enkore's homemade brush cleanser, it's on Youtube. I spray it on a cotton pad and then gently swipe the brush over it.

it's nice to see you posting again, Molly =]

Hello! Thank you! Im glad to be back :)

Lately, this is my new favorite youtube make up person. Heres a video on how she cleans her brushes, the same way I do it

yeah i never ever clean my brushes..

although the BM flawless foundation brush is definitely itching me when i use it now (from being dirty perhaps) ! must throw away. i feel like the BM brushes aren't the same after cleansing tho- they have the "broom" effect !!

but i just got the EM brushes, which are much softer, and hopefully will be in same condition after cleansing... still haven't decided best method of cleansing..

I would like to clean mine weekly but I usually end up doing it every two weeks. I definitely see more comedones if I don't wash my brushes within two weeks and continue to use them. I used to think because I just used them on a clean face and kept them in a clean area that doing it once a week wasn't necessary but now that I think about it...dead skin and what not can still get in there and clog pores and what not....maybe... :shrug:

I use baby shampoo and some mild, anti-bacterial hand soap to wash mine

lol i have to clean my foundation brush every 3 or some odd days because i use liquid foundation and it sort of absorbs into the brush. sometimes i just use my fingers :D

After every use. I've bought multiples of face brushes so if I get lazy and don't wash one I always have an extra clean one. If I have no clean face brushes I use clean fingers.

Ack. I hadn't ever washed my brushes since purchasing (about 6-7 months ago). Gross! I finally washed them today, and all sorts of gunk came pouring out. I will most definitely be washing them once a week now!

I use sponges to apply my foundation. A new one every day means I don't have to clean squat. I've also been toying with using a sponge to apply cream blush as well, so I'm not using any brushes on my face (except my eye brushes, but those aren't as big a PITA to clean).