Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ProfessionalThrilla

Guys and Makeup - Perspectives?

I've been thinking about this lately and it seems that the majority of male's views on another guy wearing makeup is that it's either 'gay, emoish, stupid, etc.'. I could be very wrong in thinking this, but this is what the majority of my conversations have been like. As far as females persepectives on this, I believe it's less unusual to them as it is for another guy to see a male wearing foundation/concealer. This is probably because a large majority of girls wear makeup in their everyday life, so they can understand the feeling behind wanting to look good, or younger, or wanting to conceal flaws, or whatever...

I'm a guy, and I wear makeup. It's not because I want to look more beautiful, or young or anything of the sort. It has to do with the fact that I have had severe acne in the past which has completely cleaered at this point, but has left me behind with a face that is reminiscent of someone with leprosy. I could choose to be with people without wearing any makeup but the whole time I would be a train wreck on the inside because of the incredible anxiety I would be feeling. It's not enough that I've already been diagnosed with a major anxiety disorder which has required medication, but to have to be around good friends with a face filled with scars and open pores and just generally looking incredibly shitty, when all of that is taken into account I couldn't give a fuck what anyone thinks of me.

The reality is that I'm a heterosexual male (don't accuse me of being homophobic I'm not, I'm just pointing out that I am straight to do with the context of this post) who suffered from a terrible skin disease which has fucked with my psyche, my mental health, and my overall function as a human being. I am 100 percent certain every single one of you can relate to this. It never ceases to amaze me how poorly understood the emotional effects acne can have on ones self are. Further detail is not required, as I am sure this has been discussed numerous times. I don't mean for this post to divolge into something that would be more relevant in the emotional forum, as this was strictly mean to be a cosmetics related post. I guess this just needed to be relieved from my chest.

The way everything has been stereotyped in the media and in society in general to do with physical appearance is really one of the lowest points of our existence to be honest. The stereotype that guys will tell each other when they have a bad case of acne will consist of 'wash your face with soap' or 'eat healthier'. Guess what? You have not an idea of the severity of the situation you're discussing, so please don't even try to begin with that utter shit.

In general I don't see that many other guys wearing makeup (unless you count the emo kids I know) and that leads me to think of two possible explanations. 1. I am incredibly vain in my desire to not look completely deformed, which is the sarcastic explanation. Or 2. Severe cystic acne is not an at all particularly common occurence, so the many males that have no desire to use cosmetics, choose not to because they have nothing to conceal.

That's fine with me, I am not the least bit envious or pissed off that billions of people have been dealt a better card than me skin-wise, but what does bother me is people being generally abusive because I wear makeup. There is supposedly an unwritten rule that makeup is only for the ladies according to the gospel of these people. So if I wear foundation and concealer I am automatically 'weird'. It just really does go to show how naive alot of the guys in today's world are. If I'm the only male who thinks this way, then I guess I am unusual, but I have done nothing but rationalise my arguements in my head numerous times, and I have always come to the same conclusion.

People use makeup to look decent, and feel good about themselves without being worried about getting judged by people who base everything on looks. And let's face it, that's pretty much the hallmark of today's world. We are incredibly vain, and incredibly judgemental. History is always changing however, and I do hope that one day we will gain some sense to stop having such screwed and warped views on what is acceptable for one gender and what is acceptable for the other.

In closing, guys wear makeup. More and more are doing it, and whilst some uneducated people might be against this, they're welcome to hold on to their old-fashioned views. Because in the end, we are always evolving and advancing, and eventually I do hope this will not even be an issue that will have to be debated anymore as it will have become commonplace. If you don't like it, get fucked.

I am all for equality on the makeup front. I'm not into effeminate looking guys, but I don't think that covering acne & evening out a complexion makes one look feminine, and wearing makeup certainly has nothing to do with your sexuality. Less is more for guys, IMO, but a little is definitely fine to me.

Of course, being an acne sufferer, I am naturally more sympathetic than many...

It's understandable as to why you would wear it. If it boosts you're confidence don't worry about the stereotypes, etc. I wouldn't do it personally, but if it's your preference do what makes you happy. That's all that matters.

I personally think its ok for a guys to wear makeup if they're an artist or if they have severe acne because theres a guy in my class that has severe acne and i see him with his head down all the time and trying to hide his face, if makeup can help boost his confidence then good for him. However when perfectly clear guys start wearing makeup then i'll consider him "weird" or "feminine".

if makeup is the tool that can help make the difference between a shattered psyche and self image and an outgoing, gregarious life loving individual, then so be it. makeup is marginalized and marketed to women due to stricter societal demands for female perfection, but its concept is universal. makeup makes you look better if you have very obvious/serious flaws. and society, unfortunately, does not look upon imperfections favorably at all. take the high road here...wear makeup. if you need alot, use alot. do what makes you feel better and let others be damned if they have a problem with it. i'm glad you found a way to help ease your anxiety about your self-image...its something that most everyone here can appreciate!

Yea I know how you feel, I also am a guy who wears makeup for the exact same reasons. It took me forever to learn how to put it on right without it looking even worse then if I didn't have it on. Being hetero, the gay comments were not fun lol. I basically had to wear makeup my entire highschool career, it had its ups and downs, and even still when I wear makeup I still feel extremely insecure. If i dont have it on I think "i look so hideous, are they staring at me because of my acne" and if I do have it on I think "do they know I'm wearing makeup? are they judging me?" But at the end of the day, I just do my best to not think about it and have a good time.

On that note, buying it from the MAC store, is less the fun lol.

I'll be straight out and say I dislike gays. I don't go out of my way to harrass them or any thing but what they do makes me sick. It's not what you where or how you speak that MAKES you gay, it's whether or not your ideal night is being the cook or dinner haha.

Any way, this week I asked my cousin to go buy me some foundation. Only my left check is affected so i put it on there. It's not because I like to wear it, I'd choose perfect skin over the paranoa of wearing a 'girls' product. I've always been a good looking guy so this acne killed me.

and btw, emo's are just plain weird with the way they wear their make up.

Amen brotha!

I completly agree with everything you've said,

and mad respect, your defiantly intelligent and have thought about this a bit.

I'm a guy, and i wear makeup, i don't think it makes you 'gay' or 'insert sterotype here',

but what it does do is make me feel a hell of a lot better about myself.

I'm all for guys wearing makeup, and i am wish you when i say i wish it wouldn't be so looked

down upon in society, but feel better,

I live in a rural country area, the shit i can get around here for it is unbeliveable,

& once one person knows, everyone does. =/

I dislike people who dislike gays.

:)

Anyhoo,

wearing makeup is completely personal. I honestly could care less if any guy wants to wear makeup. If he's wearing blush and lipstick I'm not really going to be interested in dating him, but who cares if that's what he wants to do? All you are talking about is evening out your skin tone! People are built biologically to notice marks on the face (I know... I've had people stare at my face too) so I know it's hard to go out with them. If you want to cover them, do it and screw the rest.

smile.png

Anyhoo,

wearing makeup is completely personal. I honestly could care less if any guy wants to wear makeup. If he's wearing blush and lipstick I'm not really going to be interested in dating him, but who cares if that's what he wants to do? All you are talking about is evening out your skin tone! People are built biologically to notice marks on the face (I know... I've had people stare at my face too) so I know it's hard to go out with them. If you want to cover them, do it and screw the rest.

Agree with all of this.

smile.png

Me too. But some day they'll find the Christmas presents they were looking for and come out of the closet. ;)

I wouldn't think any less of a man who wanted to wear makeup. I think it should be an entirely socially accepted practice and they should make makeup geared solely towards men. I don't think a man needs mascara and lipstick because it's not "corrective" per se and it's more of a feminine practice to try and appear to have larger eyes and lips, but just evening out skintone is not a big deal.

How old is this thread... :lol:

I see nothing wrong with any guy wearing makeup. I am gay but not like the stereotypical kinds on tv and in parades tbh. I only wear it when I need to go out because I could do without the weird stares and comments. I used to have very low self-esteem in school from ages 11-17 because of constant remarks about my bad acne and scars but now that I'm 24 I've learned to stop looking to others for acceptance and happiness. There are a lot of insensitive people in the world but I think it's important to accept that, ignore them and only surround ourselves with people who are actually cool.