Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Short2003

Mineral Powder Foundation

Can you use your own liquid/cream and add the powder to make liquid foundation? I just have a feeling the coverage from a powder is NOT going to be good enough for the crazy discolouration mess that is my face..

Yes, you can use water or moisturizer with mineral makeup to do a "wet application". Many people like to do it that way. I suggest mixing as you apply, not pre-mixing it all at once, as it will likely separate badly.

However, you can get very heavy coverage from a mineral powder foundation applied dry. I use everyday minerals intensive formula and get as heavy of coverage as any liquid I've used. You can keep layering it, just like liquid makeup, and the buffing motion seems to really help. It looks more natural too, IMO.

Yes, you can use water or moisturizer with mineral makeup to do a "wet application". Many people like to do it that way. I suggest mixing as you apply, not pre-mixing it all at once, as it will likely separate badly.

However, you can get very heavy coverage from a mineral powder foundation applied dry. I use everyday minerals intensive formula and get as heavy of coverage as any liquid I've used. You can keep layering it, just like liquid makeup, and the buffing motion seems to really help. It looks more natural too, IMO.

Im seriously so excited about getting this make up!! I figured that I might need to use a liquid for the darker areas underneath then do the powder but maybe not.. Thanks for your post.. What is buffing motion? Circular?

Im seriously so excited about getting this make up!! I figured that I might need to use a liquid for the darker areas underneath then do the powder but maybe not.. Thanks for your post.. What is buffing motion? Circular?

Yes, buffing is a circular motion. I thought the same thing before I tried mineral makeup too...how will it cover? But it does. I think I was just so used to the idea of powder being "sheer", but it doesn't have to be.

I actually like wetting my concealer brush just a tad to apply it under the eyes & over active pimples; it seems to stick better that way. Then I buff the rest, since I feel that gives the most natural look.

Well I don't reapply my makeup throughout the day, I just blot and maybe use a powder compact.

If I go out at night again, then I do reapply though. It re-applies really well, since it's powder.

Since my skin is really oily, it does transfer a bit. When I blot my face, a little makeup comes off. I've never found a makeup that doesn't do that for me though. I think it depends on how oily your face gets. It's not something I really have to worry about though. And I have never gotten it on clothing.

siouxsie, I love you, lol

How bad are your red marks? My face is quite fair and is pretty badly discoloured with alot of red markings..

My redmarks aren't bad at all now, but they used to be like dark purple, and it covered well. Several light layers is key to mineral makeup, IMO.

I feel like I have to blot a few times a day and it does take makeup off a bit. i'm not sure if EDM makeup makes me oily and have to blot or what. maybe i put on too much moisturizer?

I feel like my mineral powder covers really well when I apply it at first, but then by the end of the workday, i look like crap again. guess i should use a primer.

Siouxsie-- after concealing if needed, do you just apply ur powder w/ only the flattop and you're done? do u use a primer?

I feel like I have to blot a few times a day and it does take makeup off a bit. i'm not sure if EDM makeup makes me oily and have to blot or what. maybe i put on too much moisturizer?

I feel like my mineral powder covers really well when I apply it at first, but then by the end of the workday, i look like crap again. guess i should use a primer.

Siouxsie-- after concealing if needed, do you just apply ur powder w/ only the flattop and you're done? do u use a primer?

Do you have oily skin normally? My skin is super oily no matter what, and no makeup wears perfectly for me. By the end of the day I always look a bit more disheveled, but for me it's a big improvement over other makeup.

Lately, I apply foundation with a wet concealer brush to under the eyes & any obvious spots, then I buff all over with my flat top, then I go over any spots that still show through with a concealer brush again. Then I use a big fluffy powder brush for one last layer to set & blend it all.

On rare occasion I use a silicone primer, like smashbox or DHC velvet skin coat, but for every day I am primer free or I use an EM finishing powder under my foundation. EM's start to finish powder with kaolin helps mask pores & gives some oil control. Use it lightly, or it will get cakey also. I like it a lot when I remember to use it, gives a similar smooth finish to a silicone primer.

Do you have oily skin normally? My skin is super oily no matter what, and no makeup wears perfectly for me. By the end of the day I always look a bit more disheveled, but for me it's a big improvement over other makeup.

Lately, I apply foundation with a wet concealer brush to under the eyes & any obvious spots, then I buff all over with my flat top, then I go over any spots that still show through with a concealer brush again. Then I use a big fluffy powder brush for one last layer to set & blend it all.

On rare occasion I use a silicone primer, like smashbox or DHC velvet skin coat, but for every day I am primer free or I use an EM finishing powder under my foundation. EM's start to finish powder with kaolin helps mask pores & gives some oil control. Use it lightly, or it will get cakey also. I like it a lot when I remember to use it, gives a similar smooth finish to a silicone primer.

hey,

i have no idea if my skin is oily, dry, combination, super oily, normal... sometimes i feel like maybe i have to blot (because my skin looks oily) its because i'm using the wrong cleansing products which might cause my skin to be oily when it's really not or if i put too much moisturizer on (so my makeup will go on smoother).

i have no idea. i wish someone could examine my face and tell me exactly what skin i have and what color i am etc.

I really want to like EM, but this week has sucked with using it. but i feel like it's probably healthier than the mary kay mineral powder i was using previously.

I feel like somedays my face feels good and is great w/ makeup and then other days my skin feels different and my face will be more dry or more oily and makeup doesn't look so good. i wish i could figure all this out.

I'm trying to not get too down today- but i have a few inflamed zits that have popped up (and my period is way over!) i'm so frustrated- especially with the one right above my lip-- hate those

i haven't tried EM wet yet.. can you tell me how exactly i should do it ?

ps- what color finishing powder are you?

thanks in advance

Silicone primer??? What does this do? Yes I can google but Id rather hear from an experienced user

Most primers, like Smashbox & DHC, have silicones in them which is what makes them work. Some people use monistat chafing gel as a primer for this reason, as it's essentially the same kind of product but marketed for a different use & much cheaper.

Silicones are supposed to help control oil/shine and they smooth over pores. After applying it, your skin has this smoother appearance, and the pores are definitely less noticble. Makeup goes on really smooth & even, preventing caking.

It creates a sort of barrier between your makeup and the skin too, so that helps your skin's oils from making it get so cakey & greasy.

The results are noticeable, but not dramatic, IMO. That's why it's not a part of my usual routine, as it's one less step in the mornings. I like it for more special occasions.

hey,

i have no idea if my skin is oily, dry, combination, super oily, normal... sometimes i feel like maybe i have to blot (because my skin looks oily) its because i'm using the wrong cleansing products which might cause my skin to be oily when it's really not or if i put too much moisturizer on (so my makeup will go on smoother).

i have no idea. i wish someone could examine my face and tell me exactly what skin i have and what color i am etc.

I really want to like EM, but this week has sucked with using it. but i feel like it's probably healthier than the mary kay mineral powder i was using previously.

I feel like somedays my face feels good and is great w/ makeup and then other days my skin feels different and my face will be more dry or more oily and makeup doesn't look so good. i wish i could figure all this out.

I'm trying to not get too down today- but i have a few inflamed zits that have popped up (and my period is way over!) i'm so frustrated- especially with the one right above my lip-- hate those

i haven't tried EM wet yet.. can you tell me how exactly i should do it ?

ps- what color finishing powder are you?

thanks in advance

Cleansing and moisturizing will not effect sebum production, so you likely have oily skin or combination skin. If you're oily just in the t-zone but dry on the cheeks and other areas, then you have combo skin.

Often, acne treatment topicals will dry the surface of the skin out, leaving it tight & flaky, but if you have oily skin it will still get shiny as the sebum production is the same. That's when you get the awful combo of greasy skin with flakes which is not makeup friendly at all.... It's a constant struggle to keep that balance in the skin; we've all been there!

The solution to this is, surprise, moisturizing! The right moisturizer will take care of the flakes and dryness without adding any shine (although you'll still have to deal with your skin's natural oils).

A gentle cleanser is important too, as it won't strip the surface oils and irritate the skin. You may need to examine your routine and products and make adjustments. It can be trial and error for each individual to find what works for them.

For my EM finishing powder, I use the fair shade. It's pretty sheer, especially when worn under foundation.

As for wet application, I described how I do the concealer (just with water + concealer brush), but I don't do wet app for the whole face. There's a lot of posts on it around here, so do a search for "EM wet application" or something like that.

Cleansing and moisturizing will not effect sebum production, so you likely have oily skin or combination skin. If you're oily just in the t-zone but dry on the cheeks and other areas, then you have combo skin.

Often, acne treatment topicals will dry the surface of the skin out, leaving it tight & flaky, but if you have oily skin it will still get shiny as the sebum production is the same. That's when you get the awful combo of greasy skin with flakes which is not makeup friendly at all.... It's a constant struggle to keep that balance in the skin; we've all been there!

The solution to this is, surprise, moisturizing! The right moisturizer will take care of the flakes and dryness without adding any shine (although you'll still have to deal with your skin's natural oils).

A gentle cleanser is important too, as it won't strip the surface oils and irritate the skin. You may need to examine your routine and products and make adjustments. It can be trial and error for each individual to find what works for them.

For my EM finishing powder, I use the fair shade. It's pretty sheer, especially when worn under foundation.

As for wet application, I described how I do the concealer (just with water + concealer brush), but I don't do wet app for the whole face. There's a lot of posts on it around here, so do a search for "EM wet application" or something like that.

well i guess i do have oily skin then. or atleast combo skin. I guess my hair is super oily too- because I have to wash it every day.

do you like your moisturizer? i use olay sensitive right now, but i can't tell if it makes me greasier looking or not. the olay normal moisturizer does.. and how much do you apply? a nickel's worth? or more ? i think i put too much on.

do you moisturize at night as well?

i don't hardly ever get flaky skin. so i don't have that problem.

i use ACV as a toner on occasion, but they said you don't need to moisturize after that because it puts your skin at regular PH level. do you ever use ACH?

i've been trying to use a very easy, non-irritating regime, but I still get the occasional cysts & it's not helping get rid of old acne spots. i use Purpose cleanser and the Oil of Olay moisturizer. that's it. occasionally an asprin mask or ACV as toner. but i think my skin needs something more to prevent cysts

Eimile19:

I am prone to inflamed acne also. Papules are red with no pus, pustules are red with a white pus, and cysts are very large and deep red pimples with pus. Cysts are often very painful and can take a long time to heal. They are very prone to scarring.

You can pop pustules and cysts, but it is not a good idea. They are more likely to scar that way, among other things. If you tend to pick at your skin, then that's a habit to tackle also. My skin improved a lot when I stopped picking.

Anyhow, if you are prone to any of these, then prevention is key. Have you tried BP? The DKR regimen is very good for inflammatory acne. I had good success with it, and only went off it because I also have comedal acne I need to tackle. If your acne is very mild, then you might consider only applying BP once a day. If your acne only occurs in one area, then only apply it there.

You might also want to look into Mandelic acid, which is also good for prevention and helps with redmarks and surface oil. I used Nucelle 10% mandelic acid for awhile and had decent results.

It sounds like you're on the right track with the gentle products though, now you just need a medicated topical to prevent the inflamed acne you're still getting.

Use as much or as little moisturizer as you need. For summer, I have only been using a pea sized drop or so of moisturizer in the morning. In winter I may use a nickel size twice a day. It depends on what I need.

I personally find ACV as a toner to be a waste. Most cleansers wash clean and are Ph balanced, so a toner is unnecessary.

If you want to fade redmarks, I really recommend a moisturizer with an AHA. You might try alternating it with your olay moisturizer. DKR has good recommendations for AHA moisturizers, and I personally like Lac-hydrin Five a lot. Doesn't leave me shiny either :).

you're awesome and so helpful, thank you! :dance:

yup i'm a bad picker. i don't know how to stop but I do know that it makes my face worse, so not sure why i still do it!

i just ordered a sample of green cream (retinoid)- i have a prescription to RAM but haven't heard good outcomes from it so was staying away from it..

hmm I will have to try LacHydrin Five (is it a prescription?)

just wondering how i should use it w/ using a retinoid too? i don't want to do too much at once. also do you use it under your makeup? do you feel it affects they way your makeup looks?

I have also heard good things about mandellic acid.. just also wondering hwo i should go about using it w/ the retinoid and AHA.. seems like a lot to do to your face!

yeah i feel like most of my skin isn't that bad, just have some old stuff still.. i do have some clogged pores in places, but it doesn't bother me as much as the big cysts.. if the big pimples i get are cysts/nodules- does this mean I have severe acne?

I have a huge pimple right now (like a welt on my face!) and 2 small ones that seem to be growing.. it looks so poppable, but it isn't yet. of course I have tried a few times, which is only making it more red and bigger it seems. i'm going to read about possibly draining it or something. grrrr....

In the past most of my cysts/possible nodule stuff has been minimal and only occured on my jaw line... but i feel like it's getting worse... now i have gotten a few on my cheeks the past few months. and i'm not even on my period! i thought i only got bad breakouts when I was menstrating, but guess i was wrong.

as far as dan's regime, I wanted to stay away from BP, because it ages your skin so much faster. people complain about the long term affects... and i have tried proactiv (also a BP method) and it made my skin red. though i prolly used too much of it ! so trying not to use dan's stuff. no offense to him.

I was debating trying Paula's regime... any opinions on this? she has a lot of AHA stuff.

you're awesome and so helpful, thank you! :dance:

Aw no problem :redface::)

If you haven't seen it already, www.stoppickingonme.com is a good read for pickers (yes, the site is unfortunately badly designed). Finding another way to de-stress is good, as often we're taking stress out on our face.

Well I use tretinoin (retin-a) and RAM is basically the time released version. I've had good results. I slowly worked up to it every night and use only a small pea sized amount. It takes time & there is often an IB at first. I find it also needs to be used in conjunction with something to help with bacteria and inflammation, like BP, a topical antibiotic or an oral antibiotic. It's hard to keep skin well-moisturized when you use a lot of topicals though. The oral antibiotic is going okay for me, but not perfect,

If you keep well-moisturized, then BP will not age the skin. That is a total myth. I've used BP on & off for 10 years and look young for my age :D. There are downsides to BP, but you'll find that true of every topical, especially the drying part.

Lac-hydrin is not prescription, and the AHA it has is lactic-acid, which is the gentlest of the AHAs. It wears very well under my makeup, doesn't make me shiny.

If you use mandelic acid with the retinoid, it could be too much & get drying. If you did though, use mandelic in the morning and RAM at night. Lac-hydrin is probably gentle enough to be used with them. I actually did this routine, but it was a bit too drying and not as effective as BP for me. Other people really like mandelic acid though.

As for the severity of acne, it sounds like you have mild to moderate acne. Severity is a combo of the amount and the kind of pimples you get. So a few cysts now & then & not much more doesn't mean it is severe, but it doesn't mean it still isn't a pain of course.

Paula has nice products, but I personally don't find BHA to treat inflamed acne very well. It is better for comedal acne, IMO. Glycolic acid is pretty good...you might find a moisturizer with that instead of lac-hydrin, but it's not quite as gentle either.

Bottom line is, whatever you do, give it time. Nearly every single treatment plan I've done that was successful at all took like 3 months for good results. Many people here are impatient and write off a product after a mere 2 weeks of use or so.

If you're scared of overdoing it, just use RAM for now. It's best to adjust to retin-a on its own before adding anything else anyway.