Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myskinishorrible

So what toothpaste can cause acne around the mouth?

Myth I think. Toothpaste can dry up and flake your skin, and perhaps 'clog' pores if smeared all over your T zone, but that's unlikely right? ;)

i mean what kind of toothpaste for brushing your teeth with. isnt there a rumor that toothpastes with some chemical can cause acne breakouts around your mouth?

I wish people would post some helpful posts as this topic is far from a myth.

Most toothpastes/shampoos contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and/or Sodium Laureth Sulfate, both of which are irritants and will cause spots if your skin is sensitive. Best suggestion, use products without them two.

MSIH -

I don't think toothpaste problems are a myth at all. I just posted a long reply on the subject on this topic in the thread linked below:

I'll just sum up here so I don't repeat myself. I'm fairly convinced that Crest Pro Health has been causing my chin to flare up - the timing correlates and the flair-up has stopped since I swithced to a different toothpaste. I'm also thinking that the advent of tartar control toothpaste (20 years ago) and the start of my post-adolesence problems with acne on my chin (and only there) may be related. I posted some outside links on that post may be helpful to you.

On the internet google: perioral dermatitis and see if that describes your condition. Also, search for toothpaste on this site and see what you find. There are other posts with your same concern. (you may have to go back a few pages.)

Of course, in my research I learned that some people apply toothpaste directly to the face as an acne treatment! So different things apply to different people. Go figure!

Red

P.S. It doesn't look like you can post links in the body of a message. The title of the other post is "Need some help--don't know what's causing my acne" It's under this same Mild to Moderate acne category.

Maybe I figured it out - try this: Need some help--

well I think that toothpaste has irritated my already existing acne. i use "Colgate Total Whitening" and i haven't had any mouth area pimples in a long time

it could be a coincidence but there's my 2 cents.

Read "the archives of dermatology" Milton Saunders, MD article on flouride and whiteners and acne. He did a small study in his office and found when they eliminated flouride, then tooth whitening toothpaste the chin eruptions resolved in all patients. Toms of Maine, makes a toothpaste without flouride and whiteners - not all stores that carry their toothpaste have that particular one, but it is out there. Niece had a real problem with toothpaste and it took a full year for us to figure it out. But this is just the beginning -some ingredients in toothpaste are in shampoos/conditioners etc and skin care stuff too. Maybe some acne sufferers would have great skin if they just avoid these ingredients. Now niece uses - only Boscia and one of the neutrogena products for skin care - no dimethicone (cones) is key. And she uses the Toms of Maine flouride/whitening free toothpaste.

I use Crest Pro Health twice a day, everyday, after my Regimen, and I never get acne around my mouth. I also agree with Languages...it's quite simple to not let the toothpaste get everywhere. :cool:

I am one of the many people out there who have come to the conclusion that toothpaste is most likely causing the unusual breakouts around the mouth and chin area.

There are two main ingredients that people have suspected is the cause. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS, also Sodium LAURETH sulfate, which may be less irritating), and Fluoride.

I have a hard time believing that Fluoride is the cause of my breakouts, since fluoride is present in our tap water and comes in contact with our entire face and body everyday.

SLS on the other hand, is much more suspicious. Just do some internet searching and you'll see that it is no secret. SLS is present in almost all cleaning agents, toothpastes, and shampoos. I get bad breakouts on my scalp all the time and I believe my shampoo may also be the cause. I've recently switched to SLS-free toothpaste (sensodyne) and SLS-free shampoo (Burt's Bees), and hope to see improvements.

Most toothpastes/shampoos contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and/or Sodium Laureth Sulfate, both of which are irritants and will cause spots if your skin is sensitive. Best suggestion, use products without them two.

I have clear skin; however, I used to get small cyst like breakouts for a few months, then they would stop for several months or so, then they would come back. I evaluated what I did differently in my routine and in which products I regularly or irregularly used. The only variable I found was “Crest Whitening Expressions (Flavor – Cinnamon Rush)†which has Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. This wasn’t easy to find in stores, so I would go several months using it, then would run out and not use it for months. Upon finding it again in stores, I would use it again regularly for several months. In addition, I was using mouth wash. Since I cut both the Crest and the mouthwash out, I haven’t had any problems with acne – at all! :) Now, I have no clue if it were one or the other, but I’m not really willing at this point to try either of them for a while :) I even read an article that some of the dyes and flavorings found in toothpastes can cause acne like break outs (I included a portion of that article at the end of my post)

I now use Tom’s… and it tastes great! Tom’s Clean & Gentle Natural care. It has the purple bar across the white tube that says SLS-Free anticavity plus whitening. It lists “naturally foaming Fluoride Toothpaste. Contains fluoride for cavity prevention, silica for whitening, soothing aloe, and glycyrrhizin from licorice root for natural foaming.†Inactive ingredients list piperita (peppermint) oil.

Now… for all those who think we smear the toothpaste all over ourselves, I have news for you. We don’t. It must be a reaction inside our mouth that causes an eruption or breakout on the skin. I would get the break outs around my chin, under my nose, and just beside the lower part of nose… (which on the other side of that broken out skin… is the inside of my mouth) Think about it. If someone has a food sensitivity or allergy, sometimes they break out in hives. It’s not that they rubbed the food all over their body to get those hives… (haha that’s the best example I could think of.)

Two of my sisters get bad flare ups; I'm on a mission to have them try the same toothpaste to see what happens. One uses Crest scope, so I will post back in a few weeks to let you know what happens! :)

this was part of an article I found: A clinical instructor at the University of California in San Francisco, Kathy Fields, MD., says toothpaste can cause acne-like breakouts. Most notorious is tartar control, cinnamon flavoring and blue, red, and or green tints that have irritating additives.

Anyway, in closing, I’m acne free and love it!! I also believe some people are more sensitive to different things, so this is for those that have sensitive bodies :) you never know, a little baby I know is allergic to polyesther!! he wouldn't stop crying at night because he was allergic to his own pajamas, sheets, blankets!!!! The doctor had him off milk, on all types of meds, and the problem was actually the polyesther. Go Figure. It wasn't a doctor that even figured it out. So, yes, we all have our own sensitivies!! :) Good Luck!!

I have clear skin; however, I used to get small cyst like breakouts for a few months, then they would stop for several months or so, then they would come back. I evaluated what I did differently in my routine and in which products I regularly or irregularly used. The only variable I found was “Crest Whitening Expressions (Flavor – Cinnamon Rush)” which has Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. This wasn’t easy to find in stores, so I would go several months using it, then would run out and not use it for months. Upon finding it again in stores, I would use it again regularly for several months. In addition, I was using mouth wash. Since I cut both the Crest and the mouthwash out, I haven’t had any problems with acne – at all! :) Now, I have no clue if it were one or the other, but I’m not really willing at this point to try either of them for a while :) I even read an article that some of the dyes and flavorings found in toothpastes can cause acne like break outs (I included a portion of that article at the end of my post)

I now use Tom’s… and it tastes great! Tom’s Clean & Gentle Natural care. It has the purple bar across the white tube that says SLS-Free anticavity plus whitening. It lists “naturally foaming Fluoride Toothpaste. Contains fluoride for cavity prevention, silica for whitening, soothing aloe, and glycyrrhizin from licorice root for natural foaming.” Inactive ingredients list piperita (peppermint) oil.

Now… for all those who think we smear the toothpaste all over ourselves, I have news for you. We don’t. It must be a reaction inside our mouth that causes an eruption or breakout on the skin. I would get the break outs around my chin, under my nose, and just beside the lower part of nose… (which on the other side of that broken out skin… is the inside of my mouth) Think about it. If someone has a food sensitivity or allergy, sometimes they break out in hives. It’s not that they rubbed the food all over their body to get those hives… (haha that’s the best example I could think of.)

Two of my sisters get bad flare ups; I'm on a mission to have them try the same toothpaste to see what happens. One uses Crest scope, so I will post back in a few weeks to let you know what happens! :)

this was part of an article I found: A clinical instructor at the University of California in San Francisco, Kathy Fields, MD., says toothpaste can cause acne-like breakouts. Most notorious is tartar control, cinnamon flavoring and blue, red, and or green tints that have irritating additives.

Anyway, in closing, I’m acne free and love it!! I also believe some people are more sensitive to different things, so this is for those that have sensitive bodies :) you never know, a little baby I know is allergic to polyesther!! he wouldn't stop crying at night because he was allergic to his own pajamas, sheets, blankets!!!! The doctor had him off milk, on all types of meds, and the problem was actually the polyesther. Go Figure. It wasn't a doctor that even figured it out. So, yes, we all have our own sensitivies!! :) Good Luck!!

I just ordered some SLS&Fluoride Free toothpaste. Figured i might as well try that.

So let me get this straight. You can get the breakouts by nose and on lips and chin from the SLS reaction it has on the inside of your mouth making you breakout on the outside? Not necessarily have to get it on the outside of your skin. Because ever since i heard the toothpaste connection i always made sure it didnt touch my skin. So didnt ever think it was related to it.

how exactly does it cause acne if you are not directly applying it on your skin?

i started using a whitening toothpaste from colgate and i got 3 pustules on my chin i am pretty sure it was because of that cause i was doing good without any pustules anymore and then suddenly this.

so how exactly does it cause acne if you are not directly applying it on your skin?

I am in the dental field & have used Colgate toothpaste for many years only because I prefer the taste . However, my dermatologist recently advised me that it can cause acne around the mouth & chin (which I have more now than I did as a teenager). He suggested AquaFresh Original Triple Protection or Crest Regular. I started using the AquaFresh last week - so the verdict is still out.

According to my doctor, it has nothing to do with getting the toothpaste ON you skin - it's an ingredient in the toothpaste that causes the acne (I didn't ask which ingredient) .

I thought toothpaste was the cause of acne around my mouth as well, so I switched to Green Beaver natural toothpaste, which is SLS and fluoride free.

Great toothpaste, but unfortunately after using it for about half a year, it's made no difference. I'm thinking it wasn't the toothpaste after all. However I've stuck with Green Beaver anyway because I now can't stand other toothpastes, they taste disgusting to me.

I am 43 years old and I never had acne until my 30's when I started using whitening toothpaste. Unfortunately, for years, I had no idea why I was suddenly afflicted with an acne problem. One day, while online, I typed in "middle-age acne" and came across a blog where a dermatologist had posted her observations about her patients and their reaction to whitening toothpaste. I figured I had nothing to lose by testing her theory and I went the store and bought non-whitening toothpaste. IMMEDIATELY the acne disappeared and has stayed gone except for when I run out of my toothpaste and use my husband's, I break out again. I do not seem to have a problem with flouride. Just my experience in the matter, hope it helps someone.

I did a search but couldn't find anything. What toothpaste can cause mouth acne and which is a good safe toothpaste to use?

Usually the kind of toothpaste that will cause more harm than the other will be the extra strength that usually come in GEL form...Paste form is different from Gel toothpaste so there you have it.

O and Paste shouldnt cause acne...since supposedly toothpaste is an acne cure (LOL JK JK)

MYTH VS MYTh= Problem solved- Gel

what toothpaste did you switch to???