Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pjcat77

hormonal acne

I'm had mild acne since I was a teenager, but since turning 28, now 31 I've had acne on my chin. Pimples, blackheads, whiteheads and cysts at times. Maybe 1-7 at a time. Always on my chin! Grrrr!

So I'm on birth control pills to help balence my hormones but is there anything else that helps?

I'm 30 and have suffered from acne since I was 13. I finally FINALLY found a real solution. ORTHO TRI CYCLEN regular, if that isn't doing it for you, combine it with spironolactone. I take 50 mg of spiro a day and I am completely clear. Most people need to take more than a 100mg a day to see results, everyone's different i guess. But truly, this was a Miracle for me. I've tried accutane, demulen, yasmin, alesse, androcur, diane 35, proactiv, every topical imaginable, vitamins. Nothing has worked like OTC+SPIRO. God sent!

p.s. Just recently switched to OTC Lo, will see how that affects me. Only reason I changed is to lose the 8 lbs I gained on OTC regular which I could not lose despite great efforts. I'm hoping I won't break out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck!

Well, this is my first post on this site. I'm so glad I'm not the only person out there dealing with this. I am 29 and just in the past month or 2 my acne has started to become unmanageable. I think a big part of my problem is that I went off the pill last year and its really starting to screw with my hormones. So I'm getting back on it as soon as I start my period. I also have been diagnosed with PCOS....so being on the pill should help a lot for me I hope. Just wondering if anyone has any other good advice for dealing with it. I have every type of zit it seems. Cysts, to small pustules, to whiteheads that never turn into anything and have been getting a lot on my jawline lately too.

I have been using Murad for about 6 months and I kept thinking maybe it just takes awhile to see results. After reading many of the posts on this board I think I have been wasting my effort and money on it. If anyone knows of some mild yet effective treatments possibly even "natural" ones I'd love to find a new regimen.

The best thing that helped me with my acne on my chin, jawline and neck is Mandelic Acid. I use Nucelle and trying MaMa lotion - I use a totally different regimen than when I started on the org but not too far off. I am 100x better than I was about a year ago - sometimes flare ups but not like it was.

Also, Something to ask yourself, do you think your skin naturally exfoliates itself? I think as we get older we have trouble sloughing off the old stuff to let the new stuff breath and it causes acne. AHA's make a huge difference with the exfoliation of your skin. I use manual exfoliation as well - huge help for me.

I also see/read alot of great results with Paula's Choice BHA products - Look into those as well.

Best thing for me was to read and read on this site- alot of good insight from those battling acne and aging. Lion Queen's is one log to read - she is a mod and her log taught me alot in the beginning.

Good luck.

I'm 31 and have found that if I drink about 1/2 gallon of Green Tea (doesn't matter which kind) with Splenda in it, my skin gets about 25% clearer after a week. Unfortunately, after 1/2 gallon of Green Tea, you will have a bit of a caffeine buzz and will pee constantly haha.

As far as OTC stuff, I've had some luck with Proactiv and am just trying out the Acne.org products (will be on my website soon). Hopefully it'll work out. As it is, there are times when I have refused to go with the wife to stores or out to eat because of bad breakouts.

I'm in a similar situation to alot of you - 27 years old, have been battling chin/mouth/jawline acne since I was about 11. Yasmin helps me alot (if I go off it, my mild to moderate blackheads/pustules/papules turn into giant face-consuming cysts). I also use Proactiv repairing lotion and Duac to spot treat. I take about 10 organic flaxseed oil tabsules each day, 50mg zinc, and only ever wash with cetaphil.

All of this helps, but i'm off to the derm again in 2 weeks. I think spiro is the go but I'm afraid :( What if I use it only to lose the ground I've gained?

All of this helps, but i'm off to the derm again in 2 weeks. I think spiro is the go but I'm afraid :( What if I use it only to lose the ground I've gained?

Spiro has worked wonders for me so far (I'm on day 17). In the time I've been using it, I've only had one breakout on my chin. That's it - nothing else. I was used to waking up with 3-4 new cysts every morning, so this has been amazing for me. The topicals I'm using are healing the old breakouts - I had about 40 cysts when I started - and my skin is looking a lot better. From what I've read, it seems more people have an initial breakout from topicals than from the spiro itself. Give it a try; it's great if it works for you!

It's not necessarily 'hormonal.' At least, no more 'hormonal' than any other acne, since acne is almost always related to hormones. Exceptions are acne from things like allergic reactions and clogged pores from topicals or pollutants.

Anyway, the cysts I used to get along my jaw, chin and neck were an allergic reaction to citrus. And I figured it out when I had a coworker who got cysts only on her chin when she drank OJ, but otherwise had perfect skin.

I am a 30 year old male with the same jawline issues most of you describe. I have found that dairy can severely aggravate things, but since I have cut dairy out, it's not completely gone and still a problem. I've eliminated any other foods I can think of as the culprit, and pretty much narrowed it down to hormones, or some other internal malfunction. I cannot take spiro because I'm a male. I have found that aspirin masks and azelaic acid toner keep my skin under control until I can find the internal problem. Drinking lots of green tea and vinegar. Someone suggested drinking my own pee, but I can't bring myself to do it. I have tried it topically though... didn't do much.

Drinking your own pee??? WTF?? I mean, I know we're all desperate to be done with acne but even at my worst cystic moment on Accutane I was not that desperate. Who would even suggest such a thing? It doesn't even make sense, really....your pee is basically toxins that your body flushed out on purpose...why would you purposely re-ingest them?

Anyway, I've also had chin/jawline acne for as long as I can remember. It goes away from time to time, but ALWAYS returns, without fail. I, too, have eliminated dairy, gluten, meat, etc. from my diet (one at a time, slowly) and it all had little or no effect. So I, too, have concluded that it's simply some internal "error" in my body. I eat healthfully with a lot of fiber, and literally all I drink is water. A cup of coffee in the a.m. and then water the rest of the day til I go to bed. So I assume I am cleaning out my system/hydrating properly. *shrugs* I can't figure it out.

Ortho products actually had the reverse effect on me - they caused my acne to get WAY out of control. I broke out ridiculously. Also, Ortho Regular (not the Low) is packed full of estrogen so it's easy to gain a ****load of weight...I gained like 10 lbs on it. Needless to say, I'm off of it, and have been for years. Yasmin also caused breakouts for me. The only one that's been OK is Desogen - that's what I'm on now. I tried the Spiro, but just couldn't take the side effects. It lowered my blood pressure so much I felt like I was going to faint all the time. I am very petite though (5'1", 102 lbs) so maybe it wasn't right for me.

Honestly, I can't even tell you what may solve your chin acne issues since I, myself, don't understand the rhyme or reason behind my own chin breakouts. All I know is when they occur, I slather that area with AHA and BP and it helps a little. Good luck!