Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pana16

is it possible have super oily skin and be clear?

i have extremly oily skin and a lot of whiteheads on my chins and around my mouth. I wash my face 3 times per day and 1 hour later im just too oily ALL OVER my face :S i dont know what to do...

besides, my skin is dehidratated and i think that the sebum and sweat irritate my skin more, and it turns red and inconfortable! i dont like to use moisturizer because it burns my skin sometimes and feels like a mask 1 hour later :S

it is accutane the answer? i hope nop :S

thanks!

I have the exact same thing except I used to have acne but I don't now and I have ridiculously oily skin but im not on accutane I just started using Retin A a week ago and my face isn't as oily but mostly I swear by oil blotting sheets and I use a Tea Tree Oil face wash which gets your skin squeeky clean plus I use alcohol to clean my face at night and it gets all the dirt and oil out of my pores but theres no cure yet for oily skin :( I don't use moisturizer either cuz it duz feel like a mask my face is just way to oily but also washing your face that many times is making your skin more oily I used to wash mine 5 times a day which just makes everything worse and now I only wash at night try that and see how it goes :)!!

I used to use BP but my face was horribly shiny and tight, even right after washing.

May i recommend not washing more than once a day, and then only let the hot water rinse away the oil (no scrubbing, no washcloths, nothing!!)

To be honest I was in the same boat, I had really oily skin, moderate acne, putting all kinds of facial creames and acne medications. In my opinion they make your skin more sensitive and dry which increases sebum (oil) production.

So, I took accutane and at the same time stopped putting ANYTHING on my face or touching it at all for about 6 months. This relieved both problems. I'm off accutane and have been for about 4 years, and i still do not put ANYTHING on my face, nor do i wash or scrub it. Seems to be working out fine, my face is still perfectly clear.

hot water enlarge your pore especially if you have oily skin...wash with warm water. not hot...

and dont use bp, it makes your face oily...put oil free moisturizer...even though your face is oily...because if you dont moisturize, your skin produces more oil...so it is bad cycle...trust me..i 've been there...dont wash your face more than twice a day...you need to wash in the morning, because you sweat a lot while you are sleeping..so need to wash your face..then wash at night. because all dirt and sweat on your face..dont use hash chemical. use gentle mild cleanser..make sure it is oil free...

you need to wash in the morning, because you sweat a lot while you are sleeping..so need to wash your face..then wash at night. because all dirt and sweat on your face

I don't sweat at night :) I only wash my face at night..in the morning, i just rinse it with water.

To be honest I was in the same boat, I had really oily skin, moderate acne, putting all kinds of facial creames and acne medications. In my opinion they make your skin more sensitive and dry which increases sebum (oil) production.

Oh dear...

Well, at least you were cautious enough to say "in my opinion".

I have oily skin, and I am clear most of the time. I believe you are washing too much. I used to wash my face twice daily, but now just at night. I actually saw a decrease in oil on my skin. Try cutting back to washing twice a day to see if it helps reduce some of the oil. It's possible to irritate the skin to the point where it can be more oily. Sometimes less is better.

...because if you dont moisturize, your skin produces more oil...

I don't know of one whit of scientific evidence to support that theory. Does anybody else? If you do, please post it here.

Yeah it IS possible to have super oily skin and be clear, I see a lot of people like that.

I guess the reactivity of their skin is very low :/ so it does not get inflamed by all the sebum >.<

I used to wash mine 5 times a day which just makes everything worse and now I only wash at night try that and see how it goes :)!!

Yeah it IS possible to have super oily skin and be clear, I see a lot of people like that.

I guess the reactivity of their skin is very low :/ so it does not get inflamed by all the sebum >.<

I used to wash mine 5 times a day which just makes everything worse and now I only wash at night try that and see how it goes :)!!

I used to wash THAT much... I produced A LOT more oil because I washed so much.

I also experimented with progressively washing fewer and fewer times...

I went all the way down to two times a day, but I STILL produced quite A LOT of oil.

I also realized that because I am limiting the amount I wash my face...I am leaving oil on my skin for a longer period of time.. my pores ended up getting REALLY BIG :( <---permanent damage?

What I do now is... having a thin layer of benzoyl peroxide on my face throughout the day :) .. seems to absorb all the oil.

That doesn't make any sense. Your pore size can't change.

[Pores do not change. The first step to changing your pore size is to accept the fact that your pores are not muscles and will not change size

You can control how your pores LOOK.

Washing doesn't make your skin produce more oil. That's been tested up one side and down the other, and it simply isn't true. I agree that you certainly don't want to wash too much, but that's just because of the irritation it can cause; it has nothing to do with sebum production.

Washing doesn't make your skin produce more oil. That's been tested up one side and down the other, and it simply isn't true. I agree that you certainly don't want to wash too much, but that's just because of the irritation it can cause; it has nothing to do with sebum production.

I don't believe that over washing your face has NOTHING to do with sebum production.

Oh dear...

Well, at least you were cautious enough to say "in my opinion".

I should have said "in my expirience", not my opinion, because it did happen to me.

Not everyone's skin will react the same to everything, I'm just trying to give him some options on what he can try, because obviously what he's doing now isn't working.

I don't believe that over washing your face has NOTHING to do with sebum production.

Are you saying you think it has a LITTLE to do with sebum production? :)

I should have said "in my expirience", not my opinion, because it did happen to me.

This is one area where people should be very very careful about what they THINK their experience is! ;)

In the past I've discussed pitfalls which can make people sometimes erroneously conclude that their sebum production has changed. But when it's checked in a scientific manner with something like a Sebumeter or Sebutape test-strips (you can buy Sebutape strips yourself, and test yourself), it's found to be a different story. Casual day-to-day observations in this particular area are pretty worthless. You've got to be scientific about it.

Hey thanks a lot to everyone for the answers...! I start washing my face twice a day, JUST BECAUSE i feel it irritated and dehydratated. I start it today and my face looks good enough (just using a loooot of paper sheets and no-BP at nights for a while). And i will tell you if my sebum production change... and stop fighting ¬¬ xD

Just another question... No one exfoliates? I read that it can help a lot in oily skin, but it irritate and dry my face :S... so what do you think? did you have any experience with it?

thanks!

Washing your face 5 times a day is a no no. You're over washing it!

LOL yeah and it was BP 5% wash :( My skin looked DEAD.

That doesn't make any sense. Your pore size can't change.

[Pores do not change. The first step to changing your pore size is to accept the fact that your pores are not muscles and will not change size

You can control how your pores LOOK.

Really?!?! hmm it sure looks like my pores got A LOT bigger..My cheeks used to be smooth...with very little visible pores.. but after not washing my face much....there's A LOT of visible pores... it's not just pigmentation... the pores are actually physically ditched in? or I can see actually physical holes? (hard to describe).

by the way, i'm trying the steam method to clean my skin or whatever it does xD I try it once and it felts very good

it is..because a dry face will produce even more oil to counter its extreme state of dryness...but if you use moisturizer...maybe it will be different...

I don't know of one whit of scientific evidence to support that theory. Does anybody else? If you do, please post it here.

because a dry face will produce even more oil to counter its extreme state of dryness... it is true...

Answer the question that I asked in my post above: do you know of any SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE to support your claim?? I think your claim is nothing more than a popular myth. An Urban Myth! :)

....to wash your face many times a day will dehydrate your skin, too. and cause more oil production...if you dont believe it...just try it..

But I _did_ try it, my friend, and I posted the results here on this forum for everyone to see! See the thread I started titled "FINALLY: a more direct test of the 'feedback theory' ", right here on the Acne Research forum (you can find it with the Search function).

I vigorously washed my face with Ivory soap 5-6 times a day for several days, and I measured my sebum production both before and after with Sebutape test-strips. Despite the fact that it made my skin so dry that it was actually PAINFUL, there was no effect on how much sebum was being produced. I even provided scans for you to see of the actual Sebutape test-strips that I used in that test!!

I do see that you're a newbie here. You need to stop paying attention to these myths that keep getting repeated here by newcomers, and start reading the scientific literature. It's been clearly demonstrated that washing your skin doesn't affect sebum production (see the thread "The myth of skin washing and sebum production", also here in the Acne Research forum), and although I don't know of any studies that have directly looked at the effect of skin-moisture per se on sebum production, it seems highly likely that THAT doesn't affect sebum, either. You need to get up to speed on all this, and get familiar with what was demonstrated in scientific studies. Stop repeating the myths that you hear from friends and read on the Internet.

But I _did_ try it, my friend, and I posted the results here on this forum for everyone to see! See the thread I started titled "FINALLY: a more direct test of the 'feedback theory' ", right here on the Acne Research forum (you can find it with the Search function).

Damnit, I forgot which forum I was on, when I wrote that! :)

For new posters like "ihatemyuglyskin" who haven't seen all this material before, here's a brief directory of the threads I started having to do with things like the so-called "feedback theory", and other closely related issues. If you haven't read these threads before, it's time to get up to speed on everything:

"The myth of skin washing and sebum production". Acne Research forum. Washing doesn't affect sebum production.

"Still more evidence against the 'feedback theory' ". Acne Research forum. The title is self-explanatory: even MORE evidence against the old-fashioned idea that washing your skin causes it to produce more oil and sebum.

"FINALLY: a more direct test of the 'feedback theory' ". Acne Research forum. I describe in detail the test that I did on MYSELF, showing that severe washing doesn't affect sebum production. I even provide scans of the actual Sebutape test-strips that I used!

"If you stop washing, do you get MORE oily, or do you get LESS oily??" Acne Research forum. I provide scans of the actual Sebutape test-strips that I used in a test to prove that you slowly get MORE OILY, if you stop washing your face.

"Does sebum help 'moisturize' the skin??" General acne products and oily skin issues forum. I provide citations to the medical literature showing that sebum doesn't play any significant role in moisturizing the skin.

because a dry face will produce even more oil to counter its extreme state of dryness... it is true...

Answer the question that I asked in my post above: do you know of any SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE to support your claim?? I think your claim is nothing more than a popular myth. An Urban Myth! :)

....to wash your face many times a day will dehydrate your skin, too. and cause more oil production...if you dont believe it...just try it..

I vigorously washed my face with Ivory soap 5-6 times a day for several days, and I measured my sebum production both before and after with Sebutape test-strips. Despite the fact that it made my skin so dry that it was actually PAINFUL, there was no effect on how much sebum was being produced. I even provided scans for you to see of the actual Sebutape test-strips that I used in that test!!

I do see that you're a newbie here. You need to stop paying attention to these myths that keep getting repeated here by newcomers, and start reading the scientific literature. It's been clearly demonstrated that washing your skin doesn't affect sebum production (see the thread "The myth of skin washing and sebum production", also here in the Acne Research forum), and although I don't know of any studies that have directly looked at the effect of skin-moisture per se on sebum production, it seems highly likely that THAT doesn't affect sebum, either. You need to get up to speed on all this, and get familiar with what was demonstrated in scientific studies. Stop repeating the myths that you hear from friends and read on the Internet.

all i can say is...bryan, believe what you believe and do what you want to do...

i am not here to convince you or give anybody a hard time. i just want to help others, and help myself, too...we all have skin problems and try to improve..i just want to share my opinions...this is what i learned from my experiences and from experts...

one thing though, washing face 5-6 times a day is generally bad. it will irritate skins..when i used to wash face a lot, my face was so oily. but when i stopped, my oil reduced a lot...

your experience is not also what you called...scientifically evidenced...because those scientifically evidenced research, you need to test to majority of people, not just individual...if it only tested on you or a few friends of yours...then it is not scientifically evidenced results...also you need to test it multiple times in different circumstance...you also need to check your hormonal balance and cycle..those thing that related to oil production...

I do see that you're a newbie here. You need to stop paying attention to these myths that keep getting repeated here by newcomers, and start reading the scientific literature.

i am a newbie here, but it not necessary means that i dont have any experiences for many products or many regimens for my acne. its called stereotype... you cant measure people's experiences or knowledge based on how long you are a member of acne.org...trust me, i tried so much, and still keep trying...and spend a lot of money,too...saw a lot of people...including therapist...

anyway...whatever works for you...wish your luck..it's all good...

So no one exfoliate?

Like today, when I don't wash my face in the middle of the day my whiteheads gets biggers and/or I get more of them, but also my face it's starting to feeling better (no irritation)... so I don't know what to do