Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest grace028

Minocycline HELP please!!

Guest grace028

Thank you so much for taking time to read this.

I was on minocycline 100mg for 5 months. Then because it was working i went down to 50mg every day, and then 50 mg every second day. I am now breaking out like crazy and i dont know why!! Ive upped my dose back up to 100mg a day..and ive been on that amount for over a week now. Is it possible to become resistant to antibiotics?? I have not have a breakout like this the whole time ive been on antibiotics (8 months).

Has this happened to anyone else?? What do you suggest i do? switch to another antibiotic?

Thanks again

grace

It is very possible to become resistant to antibiotics. And that is why it is important to be on a steady regimen while you take them so that when you do become resistant it doesn't matter.

You can always try switching antibiotics... but once again make sure that you have a strong topical regimen while you do so

thats why antibiotics are only a temp. method

I was taking doxycycline for quite awhile(a few years off and on). A few months ago, I moved, lost my job, and found out I have cysts on both ovaries(may need surgery, if they change or grow), and became very depressed. My exercise and healthy eating regimen, as well as everything else went to h***!! I'd had lots of success w/doxy while I followed the plan to wash w/Cetaphil, take the doxy 2x daily. and use Evoclin a foaming topical lotion. Once I got out of "sync," it stopped working and I lost patience. Now I'm taking spironolactone 100 mg.(a.m.) and minocycline(Solodyn XL)45 mg.(p.m.) I've taken many types of antibiotics and I belive it's possible to become resistant to them. Although luckily I'm very healthy even after taking them off and on for 43 yrs. However, due to an allergic reaction to something. I'm currently using Verdeso Foam(cortisteroid) to relieve and heal contact dermatitis @ my eyes, and along my jawline. My face and eyelids were swollen, red, and itchy and my eyes were seeping:( Verdeso is clearing the irritation up, the swelling has gone down, and my eyes have stopped itching and seeping:) Good luck w/your treatment.

Guest grace028
I was taking doxycycline for quite awhile(a few years off and on). A few months ago, I moved, lost my job, and found out I have cysts on both ovaries(may need surgery, if they change or grow), and became very depressed. My exercise and healthy eating regimen, as well as everything else went to h***!! I'd had lots of success w/doxy while I followed the plan to wash w/Cetaphil, take the doxy 2x daily. and use Evoclin a foaming topical lotion. Once I got out of "sync," it stopped working and I lost patience. Now I'm taking spironolactone 100 mg.(a.m.) and minocycline(Solodyn XL)45 mg.(p.m.) I've taken many types of antibiotics and I belive it's possible to become resistant to them. Although luckily I'm very healthy even after taking them off and on for 43 yrs. However, due to an allergic reaction to something. I'm currently using Verdeso Foam(cortisteroid) to relieve and heal contact dermatitis @ my eyes, and along my jawline. My face and eyelids were swollen, red, and itchy and my eyes were seeping:( Verdeso is clearing the irritation up, the swelling has gone down, and my eyes have stopped itching and seeping:) Good luck w/your treatment.

Thank you so much for all the information! Im glad to hear that you have been on antibiotics for so long and are still healthy! Im sorry to hear about the cysts on your ovaries, and i wish you the best with your treatments for those. Thanks again.

43 years?!!! really? wow how long would you be on for before you'd go off again. and you say you're healthy, but you seem to have some health problems?

hope you get back on track and thrive once again!

grace-unfortunately, antibiotic resistance is not only common, its almost (almost) always inevitable. i agree with the above post about using antibiotics only as long as you need them until a strong topical regimen is in place to control the acne without the need for antibiotics. also, ive read studies that say that rotating antibiotics may be a good way to deal with acne in the short term, but its a sure fire way to build up resistance rapidly to a broad spectrum of antibiotics and you may find yourself in a state where no more relief can be achieved no matter which antibiotic you choose!

hatesacne-sorry to hear youre going through a rough time right now :( i too hope you get back to your healthy lifestyle once again! keep us posted on how youre doing, and dont ever hesitate to ask for help!

Thanks everyone(grace, joker, fletch) for your encouraging words!! I've gone off antibiotics for a few months at a time in the 43 yrs. Eating yogurt helps me to avoid yeast infections, so i don't avoid dairy products nor do I avoid whole grains. However, for maintenance purposes, it was inevidable(sp.?) that I went back on them. I also tried accutane(@1990) but seemed more depressed than ever(didn't like the possibility of deformities in children & pregnancy tests) while on it, so I quit taking it. B-rit, I agree w/you that some people do become resistant to antibiotics. Luckily, they still work for me(when I work w/them.....follow regimen,etc.).

As far as the cysts go, I had one removed a few years ago, along with a fallopian tube. I went to 4 drs. for 4 different opinions before I'd consider having the surgery b/c I was in no pain and had no symptoms. The cyst showed up on an ultrasound. In fact, I continued kickboxing and spinning until the day before surgery and resumed both activities @ 2 wks. after surgery. Many women have cysts, in fact, each month the body produces cysts, most go away on their own. Others have to be removed surgically, if they grow or change in shape, before they burst which can cause more problems. I'm 55 yrs. old, have never broken any bones and never had surgery until I was 39 when my appendix ruptured!! At this point in my life, as most women my age, I'm dealing w/menopause which is a pain in the a**!! It wrecks havoc w/everything from sleep to emotions to skin problems(hot flashes....night sweats)to self-esteem issues to mental confusion to........feelings of total worthlessness!! Hysterectomies are one of the most overprescribed surgeries on women and I'm trying to avoid an unnecessary surgery!! Drs. tend to favor taking things out when you reach a certain age whether it's necessary or not. so my dr. and I chose the "wait & see" option for the cysts. In Nov., I'll go for another ultrasound(to see if they/ve changed in shape or grown)and a blood test(to determine if they're cancerous)!!

Stress is a big factor in increasing acne flare-ups, and picking at my face doesn't help either!! Feeling sorry for myself doesn't work either!! Sorry this became so long!!

Good luck w/whatever treatment or regimen that works for you. The ultimate would be to live w/o acne:)

fletch:

I just noticed that you use tretinoin gel. Since differin 0.3% was too strong for me(caused itching, redness along jaw line and the rest of my face). The derm I've gone to for @ 6-7 yrs. (not the new one who changed my entire regimen). gave me samples of atralin gel .05% to use once my contact dermatitis cleared up. I've been using it for 8 days and it seems to be drying up the cysts on my cheeks where most of them are located. Does the tretinoin also reduce redness?and scarring? How long have you used it?

Although I've used a lot of different topical gels and creams, my skin must be extremely tough!!!! Differin seems to be one of the few that have caused me to have an adverse reaction. Thanks again for your input. I'm certainly glad i found this site:)

hey, sorry for the late reply!

yeah, ive heard about the 'new' .3% Differin gel, promoted to work 'faster and better' than the original .1%, and it may well do that....for some people. it sounds like a disaster to me, seeing as how Differin was always the one touting about how mild it was compared to Retin-A and Tazorac, but with nearly the same results. it seems that tripling the strength throws the whole 'gentle' concept out the window.

as for the tretinoin, i can't praise it enough. for me, it certainly did make existing acne go away much faster than normal, and though i did have a pretty rough IB, the spots would come on super fast and leave just as quickly...just make sure NOT to pick at them, or you may open up a whole new can of worms...i never once picked at them, and im convinced that this helped tremendously with minimizing scarring. i've also noticed that the red marks fade much quicker than usual. i think that the shorter a pimple is on your face, the less likely it is to leave a long lasting mark, so in that respect, tretinoin is great:) good luck with your treatment, and let us know how its coming along! if you do experience the IB, come here for support...you WILL get through it and it gets so much better if you rough it out for a bit :)

fletch1978-I appreciate your input. I'm following through w/the Atralin Gel(tretinoin);05%. Hmm, just noticed that you're using a cream and I'm using a gel. Wonder how much difference that makes? I'm also trying to decide whether spironolactone, solsdyn(minocycline) or atralin are responsible for reducing the red marks and promoting healing. As far as, picking goes, I'm trying not to focus on it "the out of sight....out of mind approach" or something like that. also trying to leave my apt. more I was "hybernating" due to feelingsa of worhtlessnes re: job loss, possible, upcoming surgery, gen. low self-esteem. Throughout my trials and tribulations w/acne, I've had a bit of a problem w/picking. But until a couple of years ago it wasn't as intense as it became in the last few months!! In my last job, I worked w/individuals diagosed w/a variety of mental illnesses. One of my clients was a skin picker. She had numerous visible scars on her face, arms, hands, wrists from picking and cutting. Also on other parts of her body which were covered by clothing. Another of my clients pulled out his teeth(8 yrs. old) even if they weren't ready to come out! !Not only was the job stressful, but working w/all 8 of my clients"brought out the inner picker in me(only on my face though)! BTW: I'm also reading your weekly log too!

its good to know at least someone is reading my log :)

its sounds like youve made enormous strides in the picking department, and i applaud you for that, because as an ex-picker, i know how difficult it is to keep ones hands of ones face. i suppose you can use the stress from your last job as a learning experience in terms of what damage can be done if you dont try to stop picking or getting help for your picking problem.

im sorry to hear youre so down on yourself, but realize that none of it is your fault. you didnt ask for any of the negative things that are happening now in your life. and i once again applaud you for letting us now how youre feeling by having the courage to make yourself vulnerable and posting it on the board. this board will always be here whenever you need help, so never hesitate to ask! and you can message me anytime for whatever reason, be it acne or feeling depressed (i have vast experience in both departments).

btw, how is your tretinoin treatment going? i'm interested to know since you are using the gel version vs. the cream version i'm using. supposedly the gel version is stronger (even though the active ingredient is the same concentration of .05%). i'm full of tips on how to deal with tretinoin side effects :) that is, if youre having any. take care and keep us posted!

you know, i'm on the gel version, and have tried cream versions for small amounts of time in the past, and really like the gel better

you know, i'm on the gel version, and have tried cream versions for small amounts of time in the past, and really like the gel better

its funny, cause i never even new a gel form of retin-a existed until very recently :rolleyes: i must be out of the loop...im guessing the gel version is better for oily skin, but thats only an assumption. i find that the cream im using is quite good. is there any alcohol in the gel? does it ball up like some other gel topicals? sorry for all the questions...just curious about the gel!

Guest grace028

Hey guys. just got back from the doc and she said that if i were resistent to minocycline (which is possible) that no other antibiotic will work because minocycline is the most potent. Has anyone else's doctor told them this?

Hey guys. just got back from the doc and she said that if i were resistent to minocycline (which is possible) that no other antibiotic will work because minocycline is the most potent. Has anyone else's doctor told them this?

in my experience, my doc didn't exactly say that *nothing* else would work in case my acne was or became resistant to the minocycline, but as far as the other tetracyclines, i think its fair to assume you may have cross-tolerance (ie no efficacy). though, there a a number of studies out there that say that mino is not the strongest, its often just thought of that way, and that most antibiotics do most of their work re their antiinflammatory actions anyways. however, my doc hinted that bactrim is a last ditch antibiotic for many who fail responding to other antibiotics, esp. if you have folliculitis, which is gram-negative and not responsive to most other antibiotics. azithromycin is another one ive read good things about, even using it as pulse therapy (ie one week a month), though, IMHO, i think the stronger antibiotics should be reserved for more severe bacterial infections, to decrease resistance in other organisms besides p.acnes. not sure if this helped or not, and i encourage you to research all you can on the web about it and bring what you know to your doc's attention. take care and let us know what you decide to do!

its funny, cause i never even new a gel form of retin-a existed until very recently :rolleyes: i must be out of the loop...im guessing the gel version is better for oily skin, but thats only an assumption. i find that the cream im using is quite good. is there any alcohol in the gel? does it ball up like some other gel topicals? sorry for all the questions...just curious about the gel!

there is benzyl alchohol in it

no, it doesn't ball up at all- very msooth and nice

hmm...i think benzyl alcohol is one of the 'ok' alcohols in terms of skin, in that its not like denatured alcohol or SD alcohol, which are the drying, awful for your skin types. but good to know its a nice product :) thanks for answering my question!

its good to know at least someone is reading my log :)

its sounds like youve made enormous strides in the picking department, and i applaud you for that, because as an ex-picker, i know how difficult it is to keep ones hands of ones face. i suppose you can use the stress from your last job as a learning experience in terms of what damage can be done if you dont try to stop picking or getting help for your picking problem.

im sorry to hear youre so down on yourself, but realize that none of it is your fault. you didnt ask for any of the negative things that are happening now in your life. and i once again applaud you for letting us now how youre feeling by having the courage to make yourself vulnerable and posting it on the board. this board will always be here whenever you need help, so never hesitate to ask! and you can message me anytime for whatever reason, be it acne or feeling depressed (i have vast experience in both departments).

btw, how is your tretinoin treatment going? i'm interested to know since you are using the gel version vs. the cream version i'm using. supposedly the gel version is stronger (even though the active ingredient is the same concentration of .05%). i'm full of tips on how to deal with tretinoin side effects :) that is, if youre having any. take care and keep us posted!

fletch1978: Sorry it's taken a long time to reply to your post. I wasn't able to live up to the "out of sight out of mind" approach to stopping picking at my face:( Although the two cysts that I picked at, did heal much faster than others I've had recently. As far as the Atralin tretinoin gel goes, I'm not sure what I think. I'm using it very sparingly b/c I have a feelng it's going to be rather expensive to fill the prescription(my dermatologist gave me 2 sample kits to try:) w/a coupon/rebate for a full-sized tube). My skin seems more oily than usual. At my age, oilness had pretty much subsided. I'm probably using less than I should, a petite pea-sized amount. Still can't determine whether the Solodyn ER, spiro, or Atralin gel are working. I've been using the gel for @ 6 weeks. Seems like a lot longer. My patience is wearing thin w/spending more and more to treat my acne!!

Thanks everyone for your "pearls of wisdom" w/regard to acne treatments and your success w/them.