Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alternativista

Any ideas on my problems?

So for a long time I thought I had sinus problems, and occasionally I do. But what I've determined I really have is very thick mucus causing a constant feeling of congestion and very frequent headaches. I looked into thick mucus, and found references to dehydration. Now I'm always thirsty and have been as far back as I can remember. And I drink water all day long. And often all night long. And it's just the last three or four years when thirst started waking my up at night. But my skin

Dry mouth, nose and eyes are symptoms of sjogrens syndrome, but several months ago I went to an ENT and tested me for sjogrens and the results were negative. That was the only condition she named. Also, I guess my eyes are dry at times, but I never thought they were abnormally dry.

She gave me a prescription that is supposed to stimulate salivary glands, and maybe it did a little, but mostly it made me sweat which I didn't like. I normally don't sweat much. Don't know if that's related. I did some research and found that GLA and NAC are supposed to help and I've been taking them, but with no noticeable results. Accupuncture supposedly can help stimulate the glands and I tried two sessions and it didn't.

So I thought maybe there's some reason my cells don't take in water. I don't eat much salt, especially since I stopped eating much processed and commercially prepared food. I read somewhere that salt is necessary for the cells to take in water, and it's true that people are rehydrated with saline. But I've also read that thirst is triggered by a concentration of salts. Anyway I tried having more salt and adding a few pinches of salt to the water I drink at night and first thing in the morning. But with no noticeable results.

And the last few times I've had my blood pressure checked, it was getting high when my BP had always been very low. Like 100/70. Now it's 135/80 something. I'm about to call my gynecologist who is the only doctor I've seen regularly and ask for my blood pressure on each of my visits so I can see if this is a recent occurrence.

So now I am trying hyaluronic acid, which I tried before, but now I'm trying a higher dose.

Also, note that glands could have been damaged by use of sinus medications. But I don't think i really abused them. I did talk to a doctor once about my sinuses and he suggested taking a sudafed daily as a maintenance which I did sometimes, but it didn't help. He'd never heard of constant sinus congestion.

Have you tried giving up all dairy products? I don't know if the problem you're describing is the same as this, but for me, eating dairy causes mucus in my throat.

You are eating to much congesting food.

Limit your dairy and meat as much as possible and include more quality sources of fiber such as non processed grains and vegetables.

Are you urinating a lot too- if so, you may have a rare form of Diabetes called Diabetes Insipidus. It seems like you have a decent diet, so there has to be something else going on if you are still thirsty all the time.

Are you urinating a lot too- if so, you may have a rare form of Diabetes called Diabetes Insipidus. It seems like you have a decent diet, so there has to be something else going on if you are still thirsty all the time.

That's exactly what I was about to suggest testing for: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-insipidus/DS00799

I think you do need to have a complete electrolyte panel and other blood tests run to find out the cause of this problem.

I don't believe I urinate excessively considering the amount of water I drink.

And yes I have avoided dairy and I don't have mucus in my throat.

I will look into Diabetes Insipidus.

---------------------------------------------------

So there's 3 types of Diabetes Insipidus and look at this one:

Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus. Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus occurs when there's a defect in the kidneys tubules — the structures in your kidneys that cause water to be excreted or reabsorbed. This defect makes your kidneys unable to properly respond to ADH. The defect may be due to an inherited (genetic) disorder or a chronic kidney disorder. Certain drugs, such as lithium and tetracycline, also can cause nephrogenic DI.

Lord knows how much tetracycline I was given for acne over the years.

-----------------------------

Interesting site on NDI that has dietary and lifestyle suggestions. It says that aspirin can be helpful. I decreased my aspirin use starting at least 3 years ago. Maybe that coincides with the worsening of my problem.

http://depts.washington.edu/transmet/The%20process/ndi.htm

It also says that spiro can help because it increases potassium levels. I have prescription to spiro, but I could never tolerate high enough dosage to help with hormones. I can take a low dose. I was also thinking of trying Yaz.

Enough research, more lab tests. It's best also not to tell a doctor what you suspect as that can in itself cut out avenues of exploration. If you and the doctor go in with an open mind, the doctor's more likely to order more varied tests, not just a few that might rule in or out ONE illness.

Those symptoms are compatible with many different illnesses. (SIADH, kidney damage, hormonal imbalances, hyponatremia caused by excessive water retention within some cells so that the blood has low sodium levels etc.)

When you have symptoms that concern you, the best thing to do is write them all down as you think of them. Keep a running list until your appointment. Then you can give the doc the list and she can do her job. Also make a list of ALL medications you take, including supplements, for your doctor.

Please make an appointment soon, a blood pressure of 130+/80+ is concerning.

What colour is the mucus itself? If it's clear, your body is reacting to and trying to get rid of more harmless substances like dust, pollen, etc. whereas if it's yellow, it's a sign your body's reacting to and getting rid of an infection of some sort.

Also, one thing I've noticed and have read in a few different sources is that having a moderate to high amount of fat in my diet rather than a low-fat diet dramatically decreases my need for water. It also makes my skin more look and feel more supple and I never have the problems I used to with dry skin.

I have central diabetes insipidus, I had been diagnosed one year ago by a nephrologist with a fluid deprivation test, it's a rare thing but you should consult if you suspect it could be it.

I also have dry mouth, nose and eyes since I took accutane, from what I read it's a common long term side effect for those who took that drug.

I have central diabetes insipidus, I had been diagnosed one year ago by a nephrologist with a fluid deprivation test, it's a rare thing but you should consult if you suspect it could be it.

I also have dry mouth, nose and eyes since I took accutane, from what I read it's a common long term side effect for those who took that drug.

Well, I took accutane too. I so do not want to go through any fluid deprivation.

What do you do about the dryness?

And update:

I've been avoiding salt and stopped brushing my teeth with baking soda and my BP is in the 120s.

Well, I took accutane too. I so do not want to go through any fluid deprivation.

What do you do about the dryness?

And update:

I've been avoiding salt and stopped brushing my teeth with baking soda and my BP is in the 120s.

I thought the fluid deprivation test would be hell but it was not that bad, you don't have to worry about it.

For the dryness I do my best to have an healthy lifestyle in general, and since today I use a xylitol nasal spray, I will try to found some good xylitol gums too.

I thought the fluid deprivation test would be hell but it was not that bad, you don't have to worry about it.

For the dryness I do my best to have an healthy lifestyle in general, and since today I use a xylitol nasal spray, I will try to found some good xylitol gums too.

Oh, I think I will literally die or be driven insane. I bought these lozenges calles salivasure. They are citrusy with xylitol and something else that stimulates saliva. I like them better than gum. I've never heard of a xylitol nasal spray. Is it supposed to stimulate mucus in the nasal passages or is it just a way to get xylitol in your system?

Oh, I think I will literally die or be driven insane. I bought these lozenges calles salivasure. They are citrusy with xylitol and something else that stimulates saliva. I like them better than gum. I've never heard of a xylitol nasal spray. Is it supposed to stimulate mucus in the nasal passages or is it just a way to get xylitol in your system?

The xylitol nasal spray keeps the nasal passages hydrated and clean, have you ever had nasal surgery?

Order a neti pot, that will sort you out. I have similar problems. Its basically a yoga thing where you stream salty body temperature water in one nostril and out the other. It really clears you out.

Order a neti pot, that will sort you out. I have similar problems. Its basically a yoga thing where you stream salty body temperature water in one nostril and out the other. It really clears you out.

I tried the neti pot but for me it was too harsh and drying, the xylitol nasal spray works great for me only after 5 days of use.

I tried the neti pot but for me it was too harsh and drying, the xylitol nasal spray works great for me only after 5 days of use.

Rinsing made me feel even more congested. Besides, that's only one issue.

Just reporting that traditional medicine and it's practitioners remain, in my experience, completely useless and expensive wastes of time. Tests were expensive and inconclusive. Staff were stupid, etc.

For example, just now I'm reading a discussion board where people post issues. There's a woman saying something about a dry tongue and response from a dentist stating that if the underside of the tongue doesn't feel dry, there's nothing wrong with her salivary glands. So why the hell didn't the stupid ENT I went to last spring ask or observe that? Instead she names one condition that affects salivary glands, and tests me for that one condition, when obviously, I don't have it.

Anyway, I've changed my theory, since my sinuses actually feel better when in a dry climate. I spent 10 days in a dry climate, then came home in time for the hurricane followed by two weeks of freakishly dry and cool weather for Houston in September. I felt great. It's when it's humid that I feel congested. I think everything swells up. I've always felt that it was the climate, but it's been so long since I spent enough time out of this climate I wasn't sure. And normally, dry periods only last a couple days, then the weather changes. And the constant changes whether to dry or humid conditions are a problem in addition to the lengthy periods of humidity.

Also, my eyes could just feel dry from eyestrain from all day computer use.

And finally, I think maybe it's only my tongue that feels dry. And it does have a patchy coating. so I'm back to considering candida and other cleansing.