Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nikki L.

My Accutane Journey

Female, 28 y.o.

Claravis (isotretinoin), 30 mg/day

Hi all.

I am 28 years old, and female, living in Oregon (USA). I've had acne for well over 10 years now, at varying levels of severity. I've definitely ran the gamut, from huge cysts to tiny little whiteheads. My skin is never consistent; I'll have three or four month stretches where I'll be severely broken out, and I'll have periods of a month or so where it's really manageable.

Anyway, I'm sick of all of it and despite my fears about the side effects, I'm hopping on the Accutane bandwagon. I just took my first pill an hour ago with dinner.

I'm a "larger" girl with higher cholesterol, so my derm has opted to do a low dose (30mg) for at least six months, depending on how my skin responds. I struggled with the idea of this for awhile as I know that Accutane can elevate triglycerides and liver enzymes, so at my next check up in a month I'm going to ask to see the hard numbers. If there's any significant change for the worse in my cholesterol, I'm going off Accutane.

Wish me luck!

good luck on your journey!

I have to tell you though, I'm a rather thin person and have been very active in sports all my life and since taking accutane and my birth control, my cholesterol has sky rocketed. It was in the 230s the last time. It also runs in my family, but I was told that I shouldn't worry about it until I'm done everything.

But it's good that you're monitoring it.

I posted on here about my birth control causing my cholesterol to go up as well and some rude person told me that it was impossible because there's didn't go up. But it clearly states on my pack that an increase in cholesterol is a side effect, one of the top ones even.

good luck on your journey!

I have to tell you though, I'm a rather thin person and have been very active in sports all my life and since taking accutane and my birth control, my cholesterol has sky rocketed. It was in the 230s the last time. It also runs in my family, but I was told that I shouldn't worry about it until I'm done everything.

But it's good that you're monitoring it.

I posted on here about my birth control causing my cholesterol to go up as well and some rude person told me that it was impossible because there's didn't go up. But it clearly states on my pack that an increase in cholesterol is a side effect, one of the top ones even.

Thanks for your well-wishes!

I gotta say, the thing that creeps me out the most is the whole iPledge thing. I fully understand that I'm NOT supposed to get pregnant while on this medication and I will stick to my two forms of birth control. But my GAWD, I've never seen anything like this iPledge stuff before, ever, for any prescription. The workbook, the website, the letters in my mailbox, the "member" card, yeesh.

On the back of every punch-card are little tabs you have to rip off to get each pill. Each tab has a pregnant-lady silhouette with a big "NO" slash though it.

Yikes.

Yeah the whole iPledge thing makes it a little scary before you start but its not so bad. They just have to input information and you have to answer your questions before you pick up your prescription.

I was nervous about starting too but now I'm on day 51 and getting closer to being done (my course will be 120 days). I'm 26 and taking 100mgs a day.

I wish you luck on your course. The boards are really helpful too.