Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
15yo

Help with acne! (Pictures)

Hi guys. I am 15 and have moderate acne. I've had it since I was about 13, but it was only a pimple here or there until baseball season this year where it turned moderate. I have moderate face acne and a little bit of back acne. It seems like the face acne is worse on the side I sleep on even though I clean my face before I go to bed and change my pillowcase every 3 or 4 days. Most of my acne is on the lower sides of my face and my chin. Basically where my jaw is, but not where a mustache would grow. My forehead and temples are completely clean.

I used Proactiv for about 2 weeks and it didn't do anything, in fact it got worse so I quit. I finally went to the doctor and he prescribed me to Doxycycline and Retin-A cream. I've been using them for about a month and nothing has changed yet. Here is my routine I have been doing for about a month:

1. Wake up, take a 30 minute shower. Shampoo twice, with a bar of soap I scrub my body down and I just dab a little bit of soap and rub the soap around my face with my bare hands and then rinse.

2. After the shower, I take one-a-day men's pill and doxycycline and rinse them down with water. I then eat a bowl of cereal to make it so I don't feel sick because of them.

3. Midway through the day I will wash my face with a mild soap at school and rinse it off with warm water. I will than wipe my face down with a paper towel.

4. Before I go to bed I will put on my Retin-A cream and go to bed.

-Am I doing anything wrong? What should I change?

-Why is it only along the lower side of my face besides the one pimple on my forehead?

-Should I start taking the acne.org remedy with the BP and lotion? Can I take this and my Retin-A and doxycycline?

-How long should the doxycycline and retin-a work?

-How bad would you say my acne is?

Thanks!

post-84812-1222645574_thumb.jpg

post-84812-1222645579_thumb.jpg

post-84812-1222645587_thumb.jpg

post-84812-1222645574_thumb.jpg

post-84812-1222645579_thumb.jpg

post-84812-1222645587_thumb.jpg

i dont think a derm would give you accutane your acne is not that bad for such a course... but some derms may

you may simply be breaking out because you are not using a clenser.... as a clenser is more effective for a bar of soap..... also to which ever you chose a normal time frame for lasting is 12 hours so during the final hours of night your skin becomes more unprotected maybe why your break out at night? if you was midday the effectiveness will run out at about mid night... so i would suggest you wash morning and then night aswell.... also its best to use retin a just after you have washed as its suppose to be soaked into the skin better like that

you wont be able to use both bp and ret a at once as they are both tropicals if you do you may servly damage your face as well as them possibly canceling each other out thus stopping both from working

the normal time frame to see how well something is working is from 2 weeks to around 7 weeks... but you should have seen a little improvement by now

if i were to change anything i would say not to rub the bar of soap on your face(it may irritate the skin more). i am on doxycyline and retin-a now and my doctor told me in the morning when i take a shower that i should use this face wash called Lavoclen. then i put on duac and moistuizer. im on my 2nd month for doxycycline and it hasnt really worked for me . im prob gonna go on accutane after my derm appointment in like 2 weeks. i know you said that you woudnt go on accutane but i now a couple people with similar ammount of acne as you who got completely clear after their course of accutane. i have similar acne. i have no acne on my forehead, barely any on my cheeks, its basically around my mouth. i used to get it on the sides of my face and i realized why is because i laid on the sides of my face when i slept so i began to sleep straight up and i rarely get a pimple of the side of my face now

So what should I change? Should I keep on taking Retin-A or should I just go to the acne.org regimen?

ok thank you very much sir. anything else i should change? would axe shower gel be better than soap bar?

hey my advice would be like they all said, chill with the soap. you need a wash of some kind specifically for faces. since you're using retin-a then it should be something very mild and non medicated...... cetaphil or something like that. the retin-a can take a several months to work. some people i've heard don't see any improvement at all until 3-4 months so i'd keep that up. make sure you're applying it right...... only a tiny amount to the whole face, not just the bad spots. you might want to add a face moisturizer (make sure you pick one that doesnt clog pores) if the retin-a starts to dry your face out, although i think you'd have had drying by now if it was going to happen. you can also ask your doctor for a spot treatment for during the day. good luck :)

Okay first of all, I am by no means a veteran like my thing on here says ha ha, but I have been using a retisol-a for 5 months now, and also on an oral antibiotic. ha ha I think Ive gotten pretty good at using the cream.

I love this site because there is so much good info on here. but yes, to your questions.

-As far as doing anything wrong. I would say, like everyone else on here has already said, use a cleanser, not soap. Soap is good... but to be honest when its sitting in the shower all the time... cant be the best thing to use for your face. I use estee lauder, but have tried my sisters cetephil, and it works nicely. You can get it at Wal mart. (love wal mart. so cheap. ha ha)

-My acne was also only on my chin. My forehead nose chin and cheeks were always pretty clear. would get like 1 pimple there once every month or so and even then they went away, my problem area has always been my chin. I've never gotten an answer on why mine was there. So if someone answers that question for you, Id also like to know. ha ha

-I didn't see results with retisol a till about the 4 almost 5 month mark. before that I had a horrible break out... and cried like every day but I stuck with it and I am sooo glad I did.

-I wouldn't say your acne is bad at all, when I was in high school most guys I knew that played sports had acne like that. My father, who now has clear skin, also had skin like yours and is now clear. He never went on accutane, and I would suggest you shouldn't either.

P.s. On my tube of retisol-a cream it says to cleanse face before use. And you are supposed to cleanse, wait 30 minutes for your face to dry after washing it and then apply the retin-a.

Also before applying the cream make sure to wash your hands!

One more tip before I go. ha ha

If you are on the phone alot or have a cell phone, clean it on a regular basis, with a bit of hand sanitizer on a cloth. I know it sounds crazy... ha ha but I believe 100% the reason the right side of my face was always worse than my left was because of my phone use. Also when you on the phone try not to let it touch your face!

Good luck, and stick with it!! :)

use the cleanser your doctor told you to use in the shower.. i wouldnt use a bar of soap or axe gel(irratation on skin)

I have a question for you. If you were to leave any given pimple alone without touching it, how long would it take for it to completely go away?

agree especially with Rai -

- clean your face - twice a day with a cleanser - basis bar is ok and is very gentle too and like the results it gives over Cetaphil. NO AXE!

- Retina A at night - exactly as prescribed on the medication

- change pillow case often - clean cell phone - change toothpaste to one without SLS

- Time - not the best answer, but give it time.

- drink lots of water

My son is also 15 & noticed more acne during his sports seasons. We went to the derm in April & was prescribed doxycycline 100mg & differin 0.1 at night. His acne was not responding so the derm changed his antibiotic to minocycline & differin to 0.3 in May & we've seen a great improvement. Since April I've changed my laundry detergent to dye & fragrance free formula, change his pillow case every other day, made sure he disinfects his cell phone, changed his body wash to Dial & he started to wash his face with Olay Gentle Foaming Wash with Aloe. I told him to refrain from wearing cologne for a while as well. It did take 3 months to see a significant improvement but now he is now COMPLETELY clear. So, I would change your cleanser, stay on the retin a for a few months & if there's no improvement in another month the derm may change your antibiotic.

Oh and another thing, make sure you disinfect your mouth guards & wipe all inside helmets with handiwipes. Don't forget the chin straps!! I wish you all the best. It'll get better. You just have to be patient.

Is your face dry/oily? I mean taking a 30minute shower would leave me unable to open my mouth (ofc my t-zone would start producing oily shortly 30minutes later). Also in the morning I suggest you either don't put anything on your face or if you can handle it use the Proactive BP 2.5% face wash.. which I actually decent....what else... uh....... I'm recently a fan of vitamins... so start taking some multivitamins and I am sure they will help.... Let me know more in detail your condition.

use the cleanser your doctor told you to use in the shower.. i wouldnt use a bar of soap or axe gel(irratation on skin)

For me... it's longer than if i popped it, and if I DON'T pop it, it leaves a scar worse than if i did pop it... IDK i'm weird...

As for your trouble zone... do you shave? How do you sleep? Face down, face to the side?

Hey guys!

The doctor didn't prescribe any soaps or anything to clean it with. He just said take the antibiotic once a day and put retin-a on at night.

My skin gets dry sometimes, but very rarely. My face has gotten a little bit better lately.

And my god! My nose looks huge on those side pictures!

yeah, for sure like they all said. make sure you wash your face before you apply the stuff to your face. i wash my face with warm-hot water to open my pores so when i put the meds on it absorbs well into my skin. doxy will probably work for you but dont stop taking it if your acne gets better cuz it will come back with a vengence! LOL. good luck to you sweetie!

One thing.. make sure the one a day pill you are taking does not contain iodine becuase iodine might aggravate your acne.. Good luck!

it's also very important to take probiotics when taking an antibiotic. I use "Pearls" You dont have to refrigerate.

Dude, please listen very carefully. Irritation, Irritation, Irritation!!!!!!!!!

You wipe your face with a school paper towel>?! those things are like sand paper!!!! :excl:

when u put the soap on your face, be SUPER DUPER gentle, barely touching your face. scrubbing hard make it worse, and ur face will be horrible.

u use bar soap on your face? BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! please private msg me. i would like to help u.. please

First off, only wash with soap once a day at night. And NOT bar soap. Cleanser, or I just use water. Don't wash at school! And use your products carefully. Don't overwork your face, and Retin-A takes like 3 months to work but it will help! It helped me out.

Okay so what it seems to me is your overwashing your face by also washing it at school. And be carefull as to what soap you are washing your face with because that may very well be the case your breaking out. Retin A should do wonders for you just be a little patient. Discontinue the wash at school it is recommended u only wash your face twice a day. If you sweat alot during an execise make sure you have a towel to wipe the sweat off. Simply washing your face in the morning with warm water is enough. Than use the Retin A at night

No offence but my acne isnt half as bad as yours and im starting high dose accutane today. From what ive heard from people i know its best to get on accutane as soon as you can. Seems like people from the UK get accutane easier than in other countries. And for cheaper...I paid about £14 ($28ish) for 5 months worth of isotetrinoin + moisturiser. I think prettyboy is right, some people do too much to their face like wash it too often and a lot of the products out there are NOT good. Ive found that washing my face naturally instead of putting all different creams on has helped slightly.

Best of luck mate.

Hey guys.

The acne has not gotten any better even though I have been continuing to use the Retin-A and doxycycline while taking one a day mens pill every morning. I occasionally (once every week and a half) skip the retin-a because I go to friends houses and stuff, but I have been religious about it.

I was thinking of maybe instead of popping whiteheads by taking soft tissue, dabbing it with hydrogen peroxide and lightly drying the pimples with it, is this good advice? What should I be doing? I want to be acne free by prom in the springtime!

post-84812-1224390215_thumb.jpg

post-84812-1224390224_thumb.jpg

post-84812-1224390215_thumb.jpg

post-84812-1224390224_thumb.jpg

Hey guys.

The acne has not gotten any better even though I have been continuing to use the Retin-A and doxycycline while taking one a day mens pill every morning. I occasionally (once every week and a half) skip the retin-a because I go to friends houses and stuff, but I have been religious about it.

I was thinking of maybe instead of popping whiteheads by taking soft tissue, dabbing it with hydrogen peroxide and lightly drying the pimples with it, is this good advice? What should I be doing? I want to be acne free by prom in the springtime!

How long has it been now?

I would not use hydrogen peroxide, but I would consider getting a 2.5% bp like dan's to dab on your spots in the am. Do not do at night when you use your retin-a.