Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InRepair

I've had it with my mineral makeup

I use ED, but I have tired everything and my face STILL looks like shit. Either I haven't found the right shade, and even with what I'm using now, its close, but it doesn't look natural. By the end of the day my face looks gross, Im tired of it.

I want to try something else but not to many make up is safe for acne and I wouldn't know which ones are safe :wall:

You may have to change the way you apply it, this can make all the difference. Even if you find a good match in color and don't apply it well it can look cakey and melt off after a few hours. Can you describe how you apply it? What do you use to apply it? Do you use anything else on your face?

minerals aren't for everyone. i can't use them. i use clinique perfectly real compact foundation and it's been the best for me. but as with everything ymmv.

I like Origins reflection perfection mattifying foundation for liquid makeup. Doesn't make me break out and has buildable coverage. Finish & wear is good for oily skin.

I use everyday minerals and I know what you mean when your face still looks not how you want it to. Try using a face primer before applying your makeup. I've used The green one by Smashbox it was decent, I really like Makeup Forevers HD Microfinish powder I use it before I put my makeup on and afterwards with a kabuki brush. If you are ever interested in giving it a shot heres the link http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id...tegoryId=C13402 or you can always buy it at the sephora store!

Guest kiwikali♥☼

yup listen to ^^^

primer!!!

smashbox is really good.

I use Prescriptives Virtual Matte liquid foundation for full coverage, Prescriptives concealer for trouble spots, and finish with the Virtual Matte pressed powder. I've tried Chanel, Shiseido, Clinique, and all the cheaper drug store brands, and Prescriptives has been the best. It's never aggravated my acne, it's oil-free, and feels super light. All their products are non-comedogenic, and if they don't have your color already made, they can mix up a custom shade (but it costs more). For lighter coverage I use Prescriptives Virtual Skin liquid foundation. If and when my acne clears up, this will hopefully be the only thing I need!

Hope this helps and good luck with your makeup search!

I'll try the primer and see if that will help.

I use a kabuki brush and I also have a flat top brush. I found that even with matt make up, using the flat top makes it look WAY more caked on, so I just use the Kabuki brush. I do layers, I put on the mint green concealer first, I put it all over the my face, then I use the fair and sunkiss foundation and mix those together and add the layers on that to. Then on my last round I just mix everything together.

I'll try the primer and see if that will help.

I use a kabuki brush and I also have a flat top brush. I found that even with matt make up, using the flat top makes it look WAY more caked on, so I just use the Kabuki brush. I do layers, I put on the mint green concealer first, I put it all over the my face, then I use the fair and sunkiss foundation and mix those together and add the layers on that to. Then on my last round I just mix everything together.

I can't be sure but I think you might be putting too much on all over which I feel only makes it melt off. My technique is this:

1) Mix lotion and some Revlon Colorstay (I only use this cause it helps keep oil under control and keep the mineral foundation on) and apply a small amount. I don't depend on this for coverage of blemishes, just uneven skintone. I think a primer is a good idea instead of a liquid foundation here, depends on what agrees with your skin more.

2) I take my foundation brush and just dip it in a bit of my EMD foundation, make sure to tap off excess (this is really important imo). Then I buff that into areas I need extra coverage only, like any uneven skintone, blemishes, red marks, etc. I try not to overdo this, because I can go back with concealer later on.

3) After I go over my problem areas I take my EDM flat top brush and swirl it my foundation, tap off as much as I can (there always seems to be some on there no matter how much I tap) and go near the edges of what I did in step 2 to blend it out, buffing quickly and deliberately. If you're lucky and have a perfect color match then this may be all you need. No need in applying powder foundation where it's not needed! If it's not a perfect match then I go over my whole face with a light, light layer (I usually do this all the time out of habit and I like having the same matte-ness all over). If you need more all-over coverage then slowly build it up. I just like to cover everything with my foundation brush in the first step though so that I don't have to cake on makeup to my whole face (which as I said melts off later on).

4) I go over my makeup with a finishing powder (after I put on some blush).

I have pretty oily skin and this is the best combination of makeup and technique I've found yet, but I realize everyone's skin is different. Even so, I have to still blot but its only once a day and it's so easy that I don't mind.

HTH, if not I hope you find something that works for you, too :)

I use ED, but I have tired everything and my face STILL looks like shit. Either I haven't found the right shade, and even with what I'm using now, its close, but it doesn't look natural. By the end of the day my face looks gross, Im tired of it.

I want to try something else but not to many make up is safe for acne and I wouldn't know which ones are safe :wall:

I hear you! Im having the same problem. When I apply EDM, my blackheads or whatever they are seep right through! Usually when I apply my mineral, it looks very cakey and it doesnt last on my face the whole day. I work in a nursing home, sweat like a pig, and pretty much the sweat ruins my make up

How much foundation do you have on your brush when you layer?

Heavy layers will look cakey. You should have only a very fine visible layer of powder on the brush. You'll be surprised at how far that goes when you buff well. Do anywhere from 3-5 layers like that, then go over any spots left over with a concealer brush (I like to wet the concealer brush a bit).

How much foundation do you have on your brush when you layer?

Heavy layers will look cakey. You should have only a very fine visible layer of powder on the brush. You'll be surprised at how far that goes when you buff well. Do anywhere from 3-5 layers like that, then go over any spots left over with a concealer brush (I like to wet the concealer brush a bit).

What Ive been doing is like three taps into my EDM mixing bowls and then been applying it. Is that how you apply it?

I do thin layers I don't caked the stuff on I've learned that's not a good thing lol.

I take extra time really buffing in each layer. Its just my face gets shiny and gross after a few hours. I think I have a close shade but its just that it doesn't stay on for long.

I know how you feel. I've finally decided to give up on MMU also. Love everything about EDM but literally after 2 hours it would slide off my face so I tried alima minerals and there formula is even better then EDM, IMO. But it would also slide off my face, I mean my face is oily but I don't think its THAT oily that makeup should be sliding off. And actually for some odd reason I find that with MMU the coverage looks awesome in person but in pictures I come out looking really weird. I just uploaded pictures from last night and my face looks horrible! I'm looking into foundations now, Sephora has awesome reviews on Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet foundation so I'm going to go in this week to find the perfect shade match. Let me know if you find anything that works for you =)

oh and I've tried finishing powder, primers, from milk of magnesia and monistat to expensive high end brands-none of them work for me.