Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coronet

21 year old female Accutane log! (pictures)

Hello all!

I'm a 21 year old female with what most people would think would be mild acne. I don't get many small zits at all, but I get a number of cysts on my chin/cheeks that last for months at a time. I also suffer from excessively oily skin. I can wash my face and within an hour there are "droplets" of oil covering my forehead, nose, chin, cheeks, etc.

After a number of years of various treatments including prescription face washes, tetracycline, and Differin cream, I was ready to go insane. I was already seriously bothered by the painful bruising of the cysts, my disgusting oily skin, and the scaring it was doing to my chin/cheeks.

I finally went to the dermatologist in July and was prescribed Accutane. :) I was amazed as this was just the treatment I wanted, but I felt I'd never get it since I didn't have one of those pizza faces covered in acne. Anyone who has cysts know how painful and depressing those are, so I was elated to finally be getting Accutane.

I did the whole one month wait, pregnancy test, iPledge junk and finally picked up my prescription last week. I hope to use this to help chronicle my Accutane adventures.

Week 1:

I'm currently on Day 5. I'm on 60mg of Sotret daily which I take two 30mg pills with lunch and dinner. I'm so freaking pumped and I'm welcoming the dryness that I'm starting to notice. It honestly didn't take very long. The 2nd or 3rd day I started to notice that my face was getting less oily throughout the day. The oil is still ever-present, but it's already starting to die down a little and I haven't had to blot my face with oil absorbing sheets nearly as much. I've noticed my skin is starting to peel around my nose and chin where the cysts are. My lips were dry to start with (odd considering my face is an oil manufacturing machine) and they seem a LITTLE more dry than usual thus far. I've started to Aquaphor them everyday. I'm not experiencing any dry eye, dry body, or any other side-effects I've read about thus far.

As for new acne, I haven't noticed any. I had a tiny zit form on my nose yesterday that came to a head and popped right away, so I hardly think that counts. My current blackheads, clogged pores, cysts, etc are still intact and I'm joyously awaiting the coming weeks when I'm sure my acne will flare up even worse than now. XD

What I'm Using:

- Aquaphor for my lips

- Aveeno foaming face wash (the one for dry skin). I stopped using the one for acne cause it dries out my skin and with the Accutane I don't think it'd help me much.

- No need for lotion yet!

Pictures:

Edit: Now added pictures of what I look like after week 2. As you can see, I don't get zits. Minus the honking cysts I tend to get on my chin. I have 3 in this picture, but some are harder to see. Two on my chin and one on my forehead right between my eyebrows.

post-51375-1223517915_thumb.jpg

post-51375-1223517959_thumb.jpg

post-51375-1223517915_thumb.jpg

post-51375-1223517959_thumb.jpg

Hey Coronet,

It sounds like you and I have very similar backgrounds and we're both on the same dose, it'll be interesting to see if we have similar experiences.

Good luck!

Good luck with your course! I'm just ending month 2. Accutane certainly has its ups and downs but keep that postive attitude and you'll be fine!

I'm also noticing something weird about my face (I'm on day 6 now). My face feels like.. it's sunburned a little. Like if I scratch at my face it actually stings and feels super sensitive now versus before when I used to scratch my face and feel fine. I'm trying my best not to pick at anything, but the feeling is akin to sunburn sort of. My skin's peeling on my nose and chin, but everywhere else it's fine so far, but EVERYWHERE on my face feels sunburned. Is this normal? :o

My skin got really sensitive pretty quickly. It's weird that it's being that sensitive if it's not dried out everywhere though. Is there any chance you actually have a sunburn, even a light one? I find that I burn incredibly easy now. I can get a sunburn on my face with less than 15 mins in the sun even with an SPF 15.

If you put lotion on does your skin feel better?

I'm pretty sure it's not sunburn. I live in an area of the USA that rarely has sunny days. It's usually overcast and it's been raining the past week here. I've not been outside too much as a result. Putting on moisturizer doesn't seem to help really. It stings slightly to put it on, actually. XD

I'm pretty sure it's not sunburn. I live in an area of the USA that rarely has sunny days. It's usually overcast and it's been raining the past week here. I've not been outside too much as a result. Putting on moisturizer doesn't seem to help really. It stings slightly to put it on, actually. XD

My eyebrows hurt like that... weird, huh? I've only been on tane for 4 days and yesterday I started itching all over and my eyebrows hurt like they are sunburn. My skin is super sensitive. I'm only on 30 mg though.

Week 2:

Ok so week two has come to a close. I'm starting to see real, tangible results. Not so much in acne as 3 lovely cysts have since sprouted since I last posted (one's freaking huge on my chin and so protruding it looks like I have one of those huge witch's warts from horror movies). My face, however, is completely dry. No oil production at all anymore no matter how long I don't wash my face. My face feels... so clean. It's amazing! Just these results alone have given me such a self esteem boost, I can't tell ya! I keep touching my face all day cause it's not covered in a huge, gross oil slick and it doesn't feel dirty all day. I'm in love.

As for side effects: My ribcage and sternum have been really sore the past week. Not so much today as the previous days, but I'm sure it's accutane related. I also felt really tired for a while last week, but that's since passed too. My lips are still a bit dry, but nothing a bit of chapstick medicated can't handle. My skin is only peeling and dry around zits/cysts and is perfect everywhere else.

I can't wait till I start seeing a reduction in my cysts. 8D

Edit Added pictures so you guys can see what I mean by my cysts. They're attached to the 1st post in this thread.

Week 3:

Nothing overly new to report minus I have 3-4 new lovely cysts on my chin. One finally was popable (came to a slight head enough for me to get it drained) so it's healing but the rest are evil and huge if not larger than the initial pictures I posted above. Skin's dry, but lips are manageable. I just feel like I have to exfoliate my lips every night in the shower else they're just disgusting throughout the day.

Week 4:

A month comes to a close in 2 days, but I thought I'd update now cause I'm getting super busy with classes. My face is 100% dry and feels great. I love the lack of oil. I'm noticing my skin is peeling a ton still where the acne is, but a lot of my clogged pores are coming out when I squeeze them and do not reform like they used to now. So I figure I might as well remove all the nose grossness now so I'll have a clean, gunk free nose. I'm still getting a ton of cysts. They're just as strong as ever, but the gunk that was in my non-cyst acne pores is all coming out and staying that way. Since it's right before my period my cysts are huge, gross, and painful. So overall my face does NOT look any better, but I can tell it's getting there.

Also, a few days ago I noticed a ton of little red scaly bumps on my hands near my thumbs. It's since spread across my knuckles. There are hundreds of small red dots that are raised and scaly, though they don't itch. I'm not too concerned, but I've never had a rash like this before. Not sure what they are. My hands are not dry, so it's not from dry skin. Going to ask the derm about them when I visit.

Going to the derm on Tuesday, so we'll see what she thinks.

Well, some complications. Apparently my blood work this time at the derms shows my trigylcerides are nearly 400 and my cholesterol at 200. She's concerned, so she's making me stop taking my medication for two weeks and go get another round of blood work in two weeks.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I fasted for 12+ hours before the blood draw, don't smoke, don't drink, and don't eat fast food. :( I'm concerned.

Month 2:

Good news. My triglycerides dropped from 399 to 210 after two weeks of abstaining from Accutane, so I'm back on it. I'm back on 30mg twice a day (60mg a day). My skin was just starting to come out of the super dry phase from my two week break and it's getting super dry again. My skin started to get slightly oily again on my nose during the break which disturbed me, but it's back to being perfect again!

I've had NO NEW CYSTS since starting Accutane. Only the old ones as they slowly healed. I still have a cyst on my forehead and the ones in the pics I posted when I started have been popped and are healing. They are just discolorations on my face at the moment. I've also almost completely lost the bazillion clogged pores on my nose. I squeezed them out a few weeks ago and they left little holes in my nose which healed up and no new grossness has formed! That alone is amazing. I've not had a clogged pore free nose in years! My face is also normal and NOT an oil slick. Waking up to near dry skin (what I'd consider normal) is amazing and such a self-esteem booster. I feel great. Accutane's such a miracle drug.