Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
txguy45

Lips after Accutane

Hey guys, just wondering if you're lips stayed dry after completing your course of accutane. Did they return to normal, almost normal? Still dry - how did they turn out?

Just wondering if this goes away when you are done.

Me:

24yr male

prescribed 80 mg for 6 months

145lbs

Decided to stop w/ 3.5 months worth of accutane

Hey ya I still get dry lips, nothing like while on accutane, but it's a bit annoying.

I am 6 years post taking it by the way, 40mg for 6 months...

So you stopped after 2.5 months of tane?

Hey ya I still get dry lips, nothing like while on accutane, but it's a bit annoying.

I am 6 years post taking it by the way, 40mg for 6 months...

So you stopped after 2.5 months of tane?

Thank you for posting.

I just now decided to stop, I must have taken about 3.5 months worth of tane (80 mg a day) - prescribed 6 months..... I just don't feel it's worth it and I'd rather deal with the acne then possible long term side effects.

Also, I think my derm prescribed too much for me and he also prescribed antibiotics and lipitor too - so it just came to be too of a nuisance for me. I understand derms need to make a profit and keep me coming back, but I kinda felt like this doc wanted to prescribe this drug and keep me coming back for good business - not for my well being. Accutane is a great thing for derms' pocket books. If I could go back, I wouldn't take the drug and keep trying different ways to get rid of the acne or just live with it.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Are your dry lips bearable and just a minor inconvenience? Have you tried evening primose oil or star flower oil supplements? I read that can help but I'm not sure how safe that is taken long-term.

I know that gamma linolenic acid at around 480mg is pretty safe and very effective for dry lips. You should give it a try if this is all you are dealing with. I just have dry lips that are not that annoying, but the dry face is more aggravating. I have an overall sense of dryness in body still after accutane...

After about 2 weeks my lips were back to normal. No more cracking or chewing to get rid of dry skin. Almost 2 months later, it's like I was never on the medicine. I hope your lips return to normal as well.

When I took a 3 week break in my course my lips went back to normal, but I started up again so now they're cracky again.

I guess it varies among people

Thx for the responses guys. I've been reading these forums for a while and rarely post. There is a lot of good info on here. It's good to take the information (good news and bad news) and make the best of it.