Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barley213

Building muscle, avoiding acne

Ever since I went on my "acne diet", which meant eating a lot less and eating a lot healthier, I've been losing weight.

I lost 20 pounds pretty quick, and am slowly losing more. (I'm 5"10.5, Male, I used to weigh 150, now I weigh 128)

From my very inactive lifestyle, I really didn't have much muscle and a lot of that weight was fat (although I didn't look fat), I just really wasn't in shape at all. Right now I still have a lot left, even though some has been burned off. What I want to do is, burn off this extra fat I still have, and replace it with muscle, because honestly right now I've gotten a lot skinnier and people have noticed, and I really do not want to be this skinny at all.

I actually started eating a lot more so I wouldn't lose any more weight, and it worked but not everything I ate was completely acne-cause free, so I started breaking out again.

I just want to know what options I have here diet-wise, because I know you have to eat a lot (and a lot of protein) to bulk up, but I don't want to break out anymore (my skin breaks out very easily). It seems difficult to find food high in protein that won't cause acne, or also difficult to eat a lot and not get acne.

I don't know, while I do believe some foods could trigger acne, I think it's CRAZY to avoid eating things to the point that you manage to lose 20 pounds unintentionally. Being underweight is probably worse than having acne. I would know, I'm somewhat underweight and have acne.

Really, as far as diet goes, I will eat anything that seems good for you. I just avoid fast food, and choclate. The only time I have milk is when I'm drinking my whey protein.

I finish a shitload of yogurt every week because I love it, and I get acne with or without it.

I eat a lot of grilled meat, and I drink why protein everyday. I think the only things you have to avoid is eating too much whitebread and stuff, and maybe dairy in large intakes.

I think food does effect acne, and I love eating things like food and vegetables. At thje same time, I think its really unreasonable to avoid some of the things that people put down. Seriously, looking at some of those "acne-triggering" foods, all you can eat everyday is grass at that rate. You can't eat nuts, you cant have dairy, you cant have bread, you cant have pasta, you cant have too much meat, and so on and so forth.

I'd say just eat what you like, and learn through trial and error what breaks you out and what doesn't.

I was seriously eating like 3000-4000 calories a day (which generally kept my weight the same), going from that to 1500-2000 can make me lose weight, it's not that I was avoiding eating so much, it was just I wasn't stuffing my face all the time like I used to.

And I'm definitely not that strict about what I eat, I just want to more-so know specifics about what I should be doing right now, what I shouldn't be doing, and what has worked for other people.

I want to gain muscle weight, burn fat weight, and stay relatively break-out free, and I don't know exactly how to do that, so I was hoping someone on here did.

to hard to do both really unless u got super high metabolism, just eat leans meats man stack on those protein shakes. wrong forum mayb try bodybuilding.com there is a great forum.

to hard to do both really unless u got super high metabolism, just eat leans meats man stack on those protein shakes. wrong forum mayb try bodybuilding.com there is a great forum.

I'm not sure they are as concerned with acne?

You're not going to be able to put on weight eating lean meats and drinking protein shakes. Not unless those protein shakes are loaded with carbs and calories. You need to eat at least your weight and more in grams of protein every day but that's just to sustain the muscles you're building so that they aren't burned up for energy. For a hard gainer you're gonna have to really pack on the calories and carbs every day along with healthy fats. But it's definitely a lot harder when you have to avoid certain foods though that cause acne for you cause then you can't just eat everything in sight.

Something else to keep in mind that could be one of the big causes for acne when really upping your food intake to 3000-4000+ calories a day is your digestion. Things like leaky gut and poor digestion and everything can really cause your acne to flare up if you start eating a ton of food every day. Should definitely get lots of fiber in your diet and look into some supplements like a multi enzyme for digestion and Pysllium Husk to help keep your colon and large intestine and things working better.

Sounds like your underweight to me

128lbs at 5' 10 isnt very much at all.

You should bulk up a bit more

somebody of that hight should be around 150 - 160 lbs

unless your under 18.

You will need to spend alot of money.

eat alot of Chicken breast ( is expensive. )

eat red meat... the one i buy has 300 calories per 4 oz.

Theres a guy at the gym his body is SKINNY he has nice 6 pack...

but his arm are BIG..... his arms is bigger then his body.. lmao.. -_-

he said to eat healthy , he eats alot of meats .... he takes whey protein

, brown bread , etc.. , u will need LOTS of protein for ur muscle to grow.

SO yep need to spend alot of money!!!!!! is worth it :P

I eat healthy and i gained 5 lbs...

Seeds , nuts ( only almond butter .. had to avoid cashew raw ) , veggies , fruits ( moderation )

, meats ( everyday. ) .. I eat red meat or white... i take whey protein.

good luck!

Very difficult if you are acne prone to bulk up, as anabolic state makes acne likely. This is pretty common subject in bodybuilding forums.

However 128 lbs for your height is very skinny.

You should be about 150 lbs at least. You need 1500-1800 calories to maintain that weight.

That coupled with weight training and interval aerobic training maybe enough to bulk with mild or no acne. Recovery, good sleep is important as well.

I am on around 1500 calories and muscular my bodyfat % is very low though.

I do not look skinny because I am on meso-endomorphic side.

Sounds like you are almost a pure ectomorph.

Very difficult if you are acne prone to bulk up, as anabolic state makes acne likely. This is pretty common subject in bodybuilding forums.

However 128 lbs for your height is very skinny.

You should be about 150 lbs at least. You need 1500-1800 calories to maintain that weight.

That coupled with weight training and interval aerobic training maybe enough to bulk with mild or no acne. Recovery, good sleep is important as well.

I am on around 1500 calories and muscular my bodyfat % is very low though.

I do not look skinny because I am on meso-endomorphic side.

Sounds like you are almost a pure ectomorph.

I was eating around 1500-1800 calories a day, and I still lost weight that fast, I didn't expect it to happen but maybe it was because I was eating so much before.

And I am definitely not pure ectomorph, I don't have that nerdy frail body type, I have an athletic one it's just not.. where I want it to be.

And EddieE, thanks for actually giving me some help :)

I suggest using a good product..

Just eat healthy and buy a good product to stop ur skin forming acne.

I eat lots of red meat and i get no acne.

I actually have an ectomorph body. I play a lot of sports, I have an EXTREMELY fast metabolism, and it's hard for me to gain weight. Which is why I eat stuff regardless of if I get acne or not. I figure the acne will take care of itself sooner or later if I eat right, weigh right, and sleep right.

I know it's much harder for ectomorphs to bulk up, but I usually do the opposite of what is reccomended by the weight-gaining community and that is to eat three HUGE meals whenever I can instead of breaking it down to 5-6 small meals.

I'm on a university schedule so I have a shitload of other stuff to get through, so I'll usually wake up late for 10 am class (for example), end up running to class, come back to my house at like 11 30 and then eat from 11 30 till around 12 30. I'll literally just sit infront of the TV for an hour eating waffles, eggs, green tea and what not.

As far as eating habits go, how should I improve?

I suggest using a good product..

Just eat healthy and buy a good product to stop ur skin forming acne.

I eat lots of red meat and i get no acne.

If there is a "good product" that I could get at a local store I would.

I'm the same hight as you and I'm almost 100lbs heavier than you

and I'm not fat either. i guess it comes down to shape and build

but 126 seems very light for your hight.

ha i was 110 over year and half ago now no flux between 137 and 140 big diff but this size nobody can tell u workout really abs are there but not my aim

I'm the same hight as you and I'm almost 100lbs heavier than you

and I'm not fat either. i guess it comes down to shape and build

but 126 seems very light for your hight.

Hi. I am in the same boat as you, I've restricted myself from eating *acne* prone foods so my options are scarce. I am very very skinny and i don't enjoy the feeling.

Do you guys think 140 lbs at 6'1 is underweight?

Hi. I am in the same boat as you, I've restricted myself from eating *acne* prone foods so my options are scarce. I am very very skinny and i don't enjoy the feeling.

Do you guys think 140 lbs at 6'1 is underweight?

Is my name Michael Carter?

Anyways unless you have the rare gene of never having acne at all in your life, building muscle = getting acne. The severity is up to you and your genes.

^ its quite skinny, but its not underweight, its a perfectly healthy weight.

why are ppl so obsessed with putting on weight? i find it quite bizzare.

:liar:

I am like 6'2 , 165 lbs .. i was at 140+

I do exercise and eat healthy.. :P

But whey protein and eating lots of cashew raw nuts helped...

and veggies , fruits etc....

yes i eat 100% healthy and exercise everyday for 1-2 hours... , on sunday i only do legs and abs

so i let my chest etc rest on sunday. :P

so i do exercise everyday!

All u need to gain muscle is protein....

but high carb is needed for energy.. but just eat plenty of fruits/veggies.. ^^

high calories not needed , or ull get unwanted fat.

there are healthy food with high calories ;)

olive oil , coconut , avocados , nuts/seeds , etc :P

life, building muscle = getting acne. The severity is up to you and your genes.

:bs:

life, building muscle = getting acne. The severity is up to you and your genes.

:bs:

:dance:

I have a bucket of whey protein sitting here, but I'm afraid if i engage in a dedicated workout regime this thing will give me the craps. Eddie, you ever get the craps when you take whey protein? how often do you take it? Also, what are some of the solid foods you eat? how many times do you eat a day and how many servings of whatever per meal?

"there are healthy food with high calories" Please site some examples.

Thanks

I have a bucket of whey protein sitting here, but I'm afraid if i engage in a dedicated workout regime this thing will give me the craps. Eddie, you ever get the craps when you take whey protein? how often do you take it? Also, what are some of the solid foods you eat? how many times do you eat a day and how many servings of whatever per meal?

"there are healthy food with high calories" Please site some examples.

Thanks

Well 1 tbs of coconut oil or olive oil are 120 calories ... <-- they are extra virgin

nuts have over 150+ calories , red meat that are grass-fed are high calories ( i saw red meat is healthy if grass-fed )

instead of 165 , now i weight 168.. i am slowly going up i just gotta keep eating or i will go down lol

I eat lots of Salads i add Carrots , broccoli and red cabbage slices....

and then i put 1 avocados then add lots of extra virgin olive oil :)

not everyday i eat avocados =\

and i eat Ezekiel bread and i add extra virgin coconut oil

I think the oil is helping me gain some weight.

But i take whey protein 3 times a day.. i add 1 scoop... so i get about 80g protein total from whey.

OH and i cook chicken breast with coconut oil which adds calories. :P

Lately I've been doing nuts (16g of protein), whey powder (60g of protein), and adding chicken breast to my salads which is 66 grams of protein each time and I usually have two of these (132g of protein).

Total of 208g of protein on workout days and I weigh 165. More than what I really even need and completely acne free.