Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zaku

Tricks to aid the absorbtion of Zinc?

I have 50 mg zinc gluconate, have been using for 1 week. It seems to fade my acne scars a bit and help with acne. What tricks can i do to make it absorb better so i get the most out of the supplement? Like crushing it or something?

If you want full absorption, take in on a empty stomach 1 hour before you go to sleep. Zinc works best when you are actually sleeping.

I think 50 mg is a little bit to high though man. Recommended dose is like 12 mg for an adult.

Zinc does indeed help to fade some red marks

I get so extremely nauseous from Zinc tabs that i sometimes contemplate whether to take them or not. I don't suggest you take them on an empty stomach, you will NOT feel very well. I take them in the morning either WITH breakfast or after breakfast, never alone...and i still feel a little sick for a few minutes after.

Tips for absorbing zinc:

-Don't take it with any antinutrients, specifically phytic acid, which is found in all grains, nuts, seeds, and tubers.

-Take it with a source of animal protein and animal fat.

-Crush the tablet before taking it, or chew it up before swallowing.

Hows milk?

Counter-productive. Milk due to high calcium concentrations impairs zinc metabolism.

I was taking opti-zinc for quite some time before trying zinc gluconate and it has def made quite a difference. Trial and error, everyone's different.

I take 50mg zinc gluconate 1 to 2 hours after eating dinner, before bed. I've never felt nauseous on any type of zinc so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Hows milk?

Counter-productive. Milk due to high calcium concentrations impairs zinc metabolism.

I actually think that milk is one of the better foods to take zinc with--I've heard about the whole calcium-blocking-zinc-absorption thing, but the fact is, most mammals, including humans, at one point in time, having to get all of their zinc and calcium from one source: the milk of their mothers. If calcium impaired zinc absorption that much, then zinc deficiency would be a widespread problem throughout the animal kingdom. My thought is that calcium might inhibit zinc absorption by about 10%, but not much more than that.

Tips for absorbing zinc:

-Crush the tablet before taking it, or chew it up before swallowing.

What HE said! :angel: Don't be like so many other people who seem to have been reared on the idea that it's a Federal law or something that tablets and capsules MUST be swallowed whole! :lol: For best absorption, chew-up and swallow ALL your supplements and drugs, unless they were specifically designed to be a "time-release" formulation (check the label or ask your doctor or pharmacist, if necessary).

Also, you'll absorb a higher percentage of a mineral if you break it up into smaller, more frequent doses. Don't take a large dose only once a day.