Notifications
Clear all

headaches on accutane..

MemberMember
(@sophiena1143)

Posted : 09/27/2008 4:41 pm

since i started accutane i've had a few headaches off and on that won't go away. i'm in my 2nd month now and i've had a headache for the past 2 days that ibuprofin won't cure.

is this normal? has this happened to anyone else? should i be worrying?

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 09/27/2008 9:02 pm

Nah its fairly normal unless the headaches are absoloutely unbearable and constant.

Try drinking a lot of water as dehydration plays a big part in it.

MemberMember
(@short2003)

Posted : 09/27/2008 11:40 pm

Nah its fairly normal unless the headaches are absoloutely unbearable and constant.

Try drinking a lot of water as dehydration plays a big part in it.

I had a headache last night for a few hours, woke up in the morning it wasn't so bad, now it is gone.. I have had a few mild headaches since starting

MemberMember
(@flanders)

Posted : 09/29/2008 3:37 pm

Hey, keep on posting whats been going on with you and your headaches... I've just been to the doc today and he has recomended that I stop taking accutane for now.

I have had a headache for 6days now and its getting better. IT started as pressure behind my right eye and ear area with a lil tenderness on the top of my scalp and forhead area. All only on my right side. Also my right eye is really sensitive to bright light. IT really hurts to look at any light as if it were the sun.. Or I had been in the dark for days...LOL!!!

The Derm doctors didnt seem to concerned but wanted my regular doctor to have a look. WEll now I have an appointment with a neuralogist and an MRI waiting for me... I guess my regular doctor is being really cautious.

Oh and also I was on a anitbiotic Sufamethoxazole for an infection of a keloid scar caused my my acne... As you may know the cycline family of antibiotics can cause pressure of the brain but my doctor says that this drug shouldnt do that...

I dunnoooooo.... But I love the other effects of the accutane... I guess I can always start again after awhile... Good luck to us all!!!

Ps i was suposed to start my 4th month last friday at 40 mgs... With a goal of 80mgs at some point...

MemberMember
(@lindsay867)

Posted : 09/29/2008 9:14 pm

I got headaches immediately after starting accutane, and they were a constant thing. I was on accutane for about 4 days when I called my Dr. to tell them about this side effect, and they told me to stop taking it right away. The headache persisted for about a week after I stopped taking it, so I was referred to my primary care doctor who then sent me to an opthamologist. They could not find anything wrong. It has been about 3 weeks since I stopped accutane..the headache is gone for the most part, but I feel like I still get them more often than I used to. If you are getting headaches, definitely make sure your doctor knows....mine freaked out when I told them!

MemberMember
(@sophiena1143)

Posted : 09/30/2008 8:50 am

so my brain could be swelling!!???

MemberMember
(@flanders)

Posted : 09/30/2008 11:27 am

NOt sure if its your actuall BRAIN swelling or if its pressure from backed up fluid. THere was a data base that My doc was looking at and I briefly saw somehting about the side effects of accutane and pressure of the brain. Which is a known thing that it sometimes happens.

LIke you should alway, check with your doctors before panicing. If you are.. LOL!!! They should know whats going on and should have more of a clue as to whats happening. They did after all go to school for all that.

Do you just have a non discript all around headache? Or do you have specific symptoms like I have? For me I never get headaches for no reason. After drinking or something only, that kind of thing. Im my case and the real reason that its worrying me is that everything is happening just on one side of my head. The pain in general, tenderness of my skin on my forhead, brow and scalp. Light sensitivity and apparent drooping of my eyelid along with contraction of my pupil. All of which is on my right eye/side of head.

I guess when you get a stroke you get symptoms on one side of your body so thats why Im concerned. Wouldnt be as much a deal if it was bilateral. At least to me.

My doctor said that he is baffled because im 3 going on 4 months in on the treatment and nothing before has happened. Other factors like stress from Hurricane Ike as well as work could have a factor in my condition. THen the antibiotic that I was taking when these symptoms first started as well as my TMJ (teeth grinding) that could be a factor as well. Thats why he is being so cautious. BEtter get checked out incase Im being set up for stroke conditions that be sorry. IT sucks cause I would have to start the treatment all over but thats not such a bad thing. NOw that I know what to expect from accutane that wouldnt be such a big deal.

So keep your doc in the loop and get checked out!!! IT could be a lot of things and not accutane thats causing your headaches, but let the pros make that call....

MemberMember
(@escocesa1)

Posted : 10/02/2008 7:19 am

I had the same thing round about the two month mark, it felt like my eyes were going to pop out of my head, it even got worse whenever I shut my eyes, definatley not a dehydration headache. I told my derm who didn't really seem to care, she offered to lower my dose but I said no. The only thing she did advise was stopping the roaccutane for a few days then starting again. I stopped taking it for three days and the headache disappeared and has never came back.

MemberMember
(@booklover)

Posted : 10/02/2008 11:37 am

Are your eyes really dry? Eye strain is a common reason for headaches.

MemberMember
(@flanders)

Posted : 10/02/2008 1:12 pm

LOL!!! My eyes are so dry, I feel like they will turn to dust if the wind blows!!! LOL!!! I guess theres drops that would help but Im just unable to sit still to put them in... Just cant do it! LOL!!

Well a lil update to my headaches. I was talking to a coworker and he said he was suffering practicly symptom per symptom what Im going through and hes not on Accutane. He does have a lot of allergies though which I do not have. BUt I guess that dosent mean that I couldnt develop them bening that Im getting older and all. That better not be the case cause Im proud of the fact that I could roll around in posion Ivy/oak and not have any problems at all. THat would be a major bummer if thats the case.

Well he gave me a sudafed and a benadril that didnt seem to do squat lastnight but I feel tons better this morning! My right eye markedly less sensitive to light and I can tell that the droopy eye lid has kinda fixed its self.

This all could still be accutane related. Perhaps while on the treatment I will be more suceptable to alergins. I work in a dank nightclub and Im sure theres tons of mold going around inthat joint. Im still in the books to see a Neurologist and get an MRI but would be kinda let down if all my symptoms go away before I can get in there.

Its officaly been a week since Ive been off the tane and Im not liking it... . I already have started to get the beginings of two cysts on my scalp that Im treating with clyosyn topical solution.. My nose area seems to be getting alil oilyer that when I was on the tane full time and my lips are starting to return to their old selves. Not a happy camper right now...

MemberMember
(@daniel-j)

Posted : 11/03/2008 9:51 am

since i started accutane i've had a few headaches off and on that won't go away. i'm in my 2nd month now and i've had a headache for the past 2 days that ibuprofin won't cure.

is this normal? has this happened to anyone else? should i be worrying?

Avoid Ibuprofen & take up to no more than 2 extra stength Tylenol's per day.

If your hav\ing a persistent headache call your doctor you may need to be taken off Accutane.

How many pounds do you weigh and what's your dose?

Your dose might be too high.

MemberMember
(@esimpson)

Posted : 11/03/2008 1:30 pm

they started me out on 20 mg a day and I was suppose to go to 40 mgs for month 2. But I told by doctor that I had a couple of headaches, so she kept me at 20mgs for month 2. Then for month 3 they transferred me to another doctor and he asked about my headaches and kinda freaked out. but he still up'd my dosage to 40. I started 40 mgs on Saturday- Got a headache sunday night.. so I didn't take my medicine that night, then I took it this morning and now my headache is back. I am so bummed because I am afraid they are going to take me off accutane. I am going to call the doctor to let him know, because I don't want to have any lifethreatening side effects.

MemberMember
(@djfunz)

Posted : 11/03/2008 7:44 pm

Are your eyes really dry? Eye strain is a common reason for headaches.

This is probably the case for a lot of people, especially if you wear contacts like I do. Also having a job staring at a computer screen all day doesn't help.

MemberMember
(@jalzoo)

Posted : 11/04/2008 9:41 pm

I had headaches first 2/3 weeks on Accutane went to my doctors and she referred me straight to the hospital.. They immediatly checked the back of my eye and the pressure behind my eyes. Everything was fine and im still taking accutane 5 months on. No headaches anymore thank god!. I would reccomend you visiting your doctor.

MemberMember
(@millsy)

Posted : 11/21/2008 6:03 pm

Hi, be aware of Pseudotumour Cerebri.....it is a side effect of accutane and very dangerous.I lost an eye to accutane and was paralysed for 7 months................!!!!! be very aware is all I will say. Look up Pseudotumour Cerebri on google??????????????

Regards

Allan

MemberMember
(@jordann2510)

Posted : 11/22/2008 8:26 pm

I sometimes get headaches.. But I think I had them before I started taking themm.. Buttt,, It might be good if you go to doctors and ask themm .

MemberMember
(@nuno)

Posted : 04/17/2009 5:49 pm

I'm in the 5th month now and I started getting headaches for about a week ago and they are persistant. I'm only in 30mg/day. I'm going to my doctor next week. Should I stop taking it for now?

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 04/17/2009 7:52 pm

I'm in the 5th month now and I started getting headaches for about a week ago and they are persistant. I'm only in 30mg/day. I'm going to my doctor next week. Should I stop taking it for now?

Roche USA online document- psuedotumor Cerebri, or intercranial pressure.

http://www.rocheusa.com/products/accutane/pi.pdf

Do you have any dizziness, vision problems, are the headaches severe? read the info in the link.

I would call ur doctor though first thing Monday if ur not seeing him then and let them know. It is not going to hurt u either if u stop the pills for a couple of days. It may be nothing, but it is better to be safe then sorry.

good luck

MemberMember
(@fashion_smashin)

Posted : 07/09/2009 7:36 am

i just started accutane yesterday and already had headaches... my derm told me that if i got them consistantly, i should try eye drops... not Visine but Saline (the ones for contacts)... i went and bought them, and my headaches are gone!!! its because your eyes get dry and cause somehwhat of a sinus headache... try that it helped me :) i bought Lubricant Eye Drops by Bausch & Lomb from Walgreens because i found a coupon for them in the paper... good luck :)

MemberMember
(@demsko29)

Posted : 05/16/2010 5:33 pm

yeah i'm almost done with my third month and i'm getting headaches every damn day.

MemberMember
(@alice_ann)

Posted : 06/19/2010 10:20 pm

Well, this has me a little worried, having read all this. I JUST started 20 mg. of accutane this week (I've taken six doses so far) and I've had pretty persistent headaches. They feel like sinus headaches, so I'm going to try the Bausch and Lomb lubicating eye drops. I'm also going to try drinking more water (altho, if too much fluid in the brain is the problem, should I be drinking more water?) But I'm so worried I'll be taken off the accutane. I've been taking Advil (why did someone up there say stay away from Advil?) and it helps a little, but the headaches usually come back. I'm going to start paying more attention to how much relief I get from the painkillers. Anyway, I'll let you all know what happens when I call my doctor Monday. :/ (It's Saturday night now.) I hope it's just a dehydration thing.

MemberMember
(@litterbugkid)

Posted : 01/11/2011 5:43 pm

I've been on 40mg for 1 month. and then 60mg for another month. My doc has just prescribed me 60mg for another month but I've been getting persistent headaches, so I might e-mail her and ask whether there's another option with me for the amount of dosage. I've also been having trouble sleeping and having alot of joint pain. I just really like how much accutane has helped my acne. It's 80% better than what it was a month ago, I don't want her to take me off it completely or lower my dosage so much that my acne comes back!

MemberMember
(@ever_wishful)

Posted : 01/11/2011 7:32 pm

You should tell your derm that the headaches aren't going away with medications. They ask me that every visit. They might suggest that you lessen your dose for a few days. In any case, I would seek their advice.

MemberMember
(@ciaradeara)

Posted : 02/27/2011 10:29 pm

I'm on my second month of accutane taking 30mg. I've had headaches from the start. However theyre not really normal headaches it's more like pain in my head like at the top or back of my head..and kinda like sinus pressure..it's not unbearable just uncomfortable. It's pretty much constant and I told my derm but he didnt seem very concerned...anyone else feeling this?

MemberMember
(@sak)

Posted : 03/18/2011 4:33 pm

I'm on my second month of accutane taking 30mg. I've had headaches from the start. However theyre not really normal headaches it's more like pain in my head like at the top or back of my head..and kinda like sinus pressure..it's not unbearable just uncomfortable. It's pretty much constant and I told my derm but he didnt seem very concerned...anyone else feeling this?

I'm feeling exactly this. I've had this from the beginning, but I tried not to be concerned. I've just finished 4 months. It has never become worse and I have been struggling with BAD sinuses for a long time. My headaches increase when other people get sinus headaches, too, so I manage to avoid getting worried about it. None of them have been severe, either. And when I move around, I feel nothing, usually.