Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neutrality

Concerning the acne-dairy connection and fat free milk

The claim on milk triggering acne is based on the hypothesis that it contains cattle hormones capable of increasing the production of human oil glands.

Hormones have generally two basic structures; either pure protein or part protein and part lipid. The pasteurization process on milk already compromises the tertiary and quaternary structures of pure protein hormones and if some molecules are lucky enough to remain intact, the stomach is acidic enough and with many enzymes meant to break them down.

The only class of hormones that are able to survive such process and human oral intake and digestion are those also composed of lipids, like steroids. They are only soluble in fat. However, fat-free milk and other dairy products as the name implies contain no fat.

So if the milk-acne connection hypothesis is correct, it should be safe to ingest fat-free milk or fat-free milk powder.

Unless, that is, that is has nothing to do with hormones but milk just makes people break out for a reason that we have no way to understand or explain, like most things that involve acne.

I would say that skim milk and 1% are probably both a lot better for you as far as the hormones go due to being low fat but I also seriously doubt that just because it's fat free that you're not ingesting any of those hormones because they aren't natural hormones in the cattle. They're added hormones given to the cows to push their milk production way up above normal levels. Cattle are also given a lot of antibiotics which would be another trigger for acne. If you truly wanted to avoid as much hormones and antibiotics as you can then I would suggest something like Horizon Organic milk which comes in fat free and 1% as well if you're trying to avoid all fat. Their farms don't use antibiotics and they don't give added hormones to make the cows produce more milk. I buy the 2% myself.

For reasons of general health and good nutrition, I suggest avoiding skim milk and low-fat milk products. Stick with whole milk. It's probably healthier.

^He has a good point.

It's kind of logical to think that natural, whole milk or even "commercial" whole milk is better and still healthier than skim and low-fat ones.