Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
suspect

suspects accutane log

My story is probably very similar to many of your stories. i'm 27 and had mild acne for the past 10 years, but had somewhat of a major break out bout 4 months ago. i thought i was too old for acne. anyways, for the past 4 months i've been on tretinoin cream and antibiotics which seems to have only exacerbated my acne. The cream made the skin on my face extremely oily. my pores started to clog, and i got small little bumps on the sides of my cheeks, some cysts ...mostly white heads...but lots of em. it was impossible to keep up with it, and i felt so embarrassed going to work every day. i will admit that it made the skin on my face much smoother and softer to the touch, but the break outs were not stopping. Clearly, this regimen was not working. I was a bit reluctant to jump on the accutane train considering that my acne was pretty mild to begin with. The risks associated with this drug seemed too high. But after reading a lot of the logs here on this website, it made me feel a little more comfortable about what to expect from this product, so here i am.

Prescription:

The doctor is starting me out on 20 mg a day. I'm supposed to take this drug for the next 6 months and then add 10 mg for every month i'm into it- seems reasonable. My cholesterol is a little on the high side, but i eat pretty health and i exercise regularly.

i do enjoy reading everyone's logs, so please keep on posting.

Day 3.

There's not much to report. I haven't really noticed any changes to my skin. I am getting a bit thirsty. Not sure if its the changing season's or the drug. i guess i'll just carry a jug of water wherever i go.

Anyways, I do have a couple of questions for anyone out there that's reading. How long did the IB last? How bad was it? and when did you begin to see real results?

I am more or less in the same situation as you suspekt. Also on 20mg/day and i guess that will addup. I have mild to moderate acne (you can not notice it on a picture unless it's a close up) but i still break out regularly and it's annoying as hell. Anyway i am on day 5 and i broke out pretty bad on day 3 but i still think my skins is better. my forehead is clear which is was not before and my skin seems more smooth. Sideeffecs are dry lips but besides that i have not seen anything yet. I know this drug has helped alot of my friends - actually 10 in a friends circle of around 50 who all got close to perfect skin now.

hey sidd. Thanks for the vote of encouragement. Hope you have happy clean skin on you way.

Day 9

The Accutane is starting to work. More and more whiteheads are coming to the surface. I'm getting chapped lips, and I feel a little less oilier with every passing day. The other day I popped the pill and skipped breakfast ..yeh that was a big mistake. We had a huge presentation at work and my entire face was flush. To counter some of the side effects, I've been taking vitamin e, zinc and drinking lots of water.

That's all folks.

Day 26

Update:

let's see what to report. overall, my complexion has improved-nothing dramatic, but its moving in the right direction which is encouraging. A lot of the bumps that i once had on the sides of my face have dried up, and i can feel my skin and hair becoming less oily. Outside of a few nodules and pimples I mostly have pigmented spots on my face. Although this may be a good sign, I'm not counting my eggs just yet cuz i know as you increase your prescription to a stronger dosage, people tend to break out more. Another thing that I should probably report is that I don't have as much patience as I once did. I find myself getting agitated at work more, still not sure if that's because of the medication or the result of being overworked.

Diet:

Although i do indulge in some greasy food now and then, my diet consists of mostly salads and fruits. (i can not let go of taco tuesday) I still take vitamin E pills and zinc in the morning.

Questions:

One thing i was wondering, is do all pigmented spots finally fade on your face? about 8 months back, i thought their was a wart or something growing on my face. My derm thought it was acne. Anyways, i went online and bought this product online to remove it. in the end it did get removed, but it left a red mark in the center of my forehead. yikes. to heal this wound i've tried several different products, vit E gel, neosporin, aloe, this internet product, siicone pads. The discoloration in that area has been reduced, but its still very noticeable.

Whine:

I'm an architect and I love my job, but sometimes I hate how superficial and critical everyone is in the office. It's exhausting, what some of these guys fixate themselves on. (sigh)

i'm pretty sure my acne is stress related. It got crazy after my gf and i broke up and she said no to my proposal. that's a long story. i hope this drug doesn't mess with my head too much.

Happy trails to everyone.

Go OBAMA!

Sorry to hear about you an your gf. But hey! plenty of more fish in the sea right?!

Glad to hear your skin is headed in the right direction!

Day 35

Update:

I went to the dermatologist last week to check on my progress and increase my prescription to 40 mg a day. She says from the looks of things, I'm doing fine. More and more spots are coming to the surface, my lips are dry which is a sign the medications is working, and the side effects have been minimal. Very little joint pain. No eye irritation or reduced visibility at night. Not tired. I have been getting a little sad and shy at work, which is not good, but I'm sure that will pass.

As far as my skin is concerned there hasn't been much of a change. Most of the bumps I had on the side of my face have flattened out. In total there are probably 5-6 active pimples/nodes spread across my forehead and cheeks. The red marks on my face probably make it look worse than it really is. Every night, I smother them in neosporin. On some of the bumpy ones I've gone the extra mile and put silicone patches on it-not sure if that does anything; but I rather be safe than sorry.

Oh the other thing I should report is that their was this thing on my forehead that I thought was a tiny little colorless mole that i've had for the past 4 months. Well, the tane busted that shit out last weekend. their was all this gunk in it. I'm a little confused when people say you shouldn't pop your zits because it will on exacerbate the issue. If it pops by itself, is it okay to go in there pop it again to really make sure all that junk is out? i mean, the break in skin is already done. Does that make sense? Anyways, its a red mark now, so hopefully it will heal smoothly.

Side Effects:

The first 3 days i took the 40 mg, it felt like my nose was bleeding all day long. I was constantly sniffling trying to prevent the blood in my nose from dripping down to my shirt-super gross. does that ocean nasal spray really help?

Thanks Rai for your words of encouragement. I've been pretty sad about my break up. I wish I wasn't so attached. And with my acne flaring up its like i've lost all confidence. well, maybe when my skin heals, I'll regain some of it back and go out and find another fishy.

okay that's all foks!

Go OBAMA!

27f with mild acne too. Im in about 1 and and a half months now. My face looks 95percent better. Only a little blimish now and then and mabey a cyst on my chin but soooo much better. I take 40mgs a day and weigh about 115lbs. I feel confident by Christmas my skin will be flawless. My Ib was so small and only a lasted like a few days (I guess it was an Ib???) I teach school and I was always parinoid about what the kids were saying although it was mild. Ive had it for about 10 years!!!. Ive heard the more mgs you put into your body of this drug the greater your chance is for long term effects..like it never comes back. You might want to think about a increase. I am in month three. Mabey 40mgs one day and 60 the next? I don't want this shit to come back. Im on a 5 month course.

Ja66,

Thanks for checking in on me. Sounds like the skin on your face did a 180 degree turn for the better. How inspiring. It is a little suspicious that your IB only lasted a day....but I suppose everyone's different. My mom is also a teacher. Its a good profession. I can totally relate about getting paranoid. I don't think most people care about that sort of stuff, but it really eats away at your confidence, you know? With regards to my accutane strength, the doctor said she would increase my mg's next month to 60mg. Well... I wish you lots of luck in your accutane journey, and please keep me posted.

Day 50

Update:

What a slow process this has been for me. Since my last update, the skin on my face has become super sensitive: I burn in the sun, feel whipped in the wind, and i got a paper cut from a dollar bill the other day. how stupid is that? What little red marks have fully healed on my face have all been replaced with new bubbly red pimples. (sigh)

Despite these setbacks, I do think the pill is doing its job, and my skin is making progress. the acen's gotta go somewhere, right? And if it doesn't come out, its just secretly waiting inside your skin to pop out at the most inopportune time. I suspect that the low 20 mg dosage in the beginning is the reason why my progress has been so slow.

Side Effects:

The side effects that everyone talks about on this website have also started to hit me: tiredness, dry lips, achy bones, dry eyes, itchy legs and hands. Its sort of embarrasing, the skin on my butt is really itchy, so i tend to scratch that a-lot where ever I am. The noise bleeds have stopped. And I don't feel as depressed as I did before.

cheers.