Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thedit

Long-term Yaz?

I started Yaz about a month and a half ago along with an increase of spironalctone to 100 mg/day (before I started Yaz, it was 50 mg/day). I keep reading on here about ppl who hate Yaz and that it made their breakouts worse, but the majority of these posts/comments are from those who have used it >about 3 months. From what I understand, I need to wait at least 3-4 months to see if Yaz can really provide the skin benefits I'm looking for. Did anyone kind of experience no improvement/slighly worse skin for a couple of months before their skin decided to clear up? And if so, is it worth the wait? Can you remember roughly how long it took to get desired effects? Thank you very much!!

BTW, I've had no bad side effects from Yaz....just no improved skin.

:dance:

haha....**I meant most posts on here are from ppl who have used Yaz *less* than 3 months, not more.

Anyone??

Thanks!

I have been on Yaz for 3 years, and prior to that I was on Yasmin (same drug basically) for 6 years. It did lessen my breakouts after about 4 months, but my skin has NEVER in my life been clear. It decreased the number of nodular acne break-outs I had.

I'm on Claravis now (accutane generic), along with the Yaz (and a 2nd form of birth control).

I would give it at least 4 months before you decide it isn't working. If you have mild to moderate acne, it should help.

Hi thedit.

I had exactly the same prescription as you, I've been on spiro/bc (started on YAZ, swapped to Diane) for about 4 months and only just recently have I seen any huge improvements in my skin. Up until around the 3 1/2 month mark basically my skin was terrible, at times I thought worse than before. I had cysts, pustules, clogged pores, you name it. But right now I'm clear except for one tiny zit. I've got my fingers crossed that the breakouts are behind me.

Don't give up, it does take a while to see improvement. If you don't see improvement in another month or so, perhaps you should consider a topical regimen of sorts along with birth control. I am on BC and Dan's regimen. I am almost clear now. Just some stubborn areas, but I'm so close I can almost taste (see?) it. :)

I started in february and it took until July to get consistently clear skin. I think around May I got a bad breakout but it does take at least 6 months to get a good idea if a certain bc is good or not for you. If you still have bad results after that much time, then you should switch, but I think 3 months is a little too early to tell. Right now i have two pimples on my chin...I get one on my cheeks every now and then which I believe are stress and sleep related. I'm not saying Yaz hasn't caused people to break out but you won't see the lasting effects for at least half a year, so you might want to think about whether you want to tough it out and see if this could be the right bc for you or give something else a chance. There was definitely times I thought that it wasn't working but I'm glad I stuck with it.

i'm at my 6 month mark with Yaz right now. i'd say the improvements were so gradual and slight that i couldn't notice them. but i had a friend tell me at 4 months my skin had gotten a lot better and at my 6 months she said it was waaayy better than before i started yaz. so i guess for me i see my face everyday and couldn't see the improvements but from someone who didn't see me for a few months at a time, she could tell. i'm not completely clear and still have small breakouts here and there but it has definitely gotten better. i'd say at 4 months is when i could start to see the difference a teeny bit.

Thanks to all who responded! Obviously, I need to give this some time. I am now finishing my 2nd pack today. My skin hasn't gotten any worse. I hesitate to say it's better, but at least I'm not regressing. And my nurse gave me 5 free samples (wow, huh?), so I'm good to go for half a year. I will keep you all updated. :popcorn: ....They have the weirdest smiley things on this website.

Yaz seemed like it was clearing my skin up and then WHAM-in my fourth or fifth month of taking it, my skin broke out horribly....and right before school started!

I'm still dealing with the Yaz breakouts, but since switching to Ortho Novum, my breakouts lessened immensely.

Yaz doesn't have a terribly high amount of estrogen, which could be a reason for it's lack of effectiveness against breakouts.