Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1awesome

Going All Natural and Simplifying My Acne Routine

Hello all. I have been watching these forums for over one year, but only recently joined. I am a male in my early twenties and since my late high school years I have had some light acne with occasional inflamed cysts. Also my skin tends to be slightly on the dry side, especially during the winter.

I used to use an expensive acne treatment imported from overseas which was recommended to me by a family member. It consisted of a toner, a cream, and something else. It did not work.

For the past year I had been using a combination of Clean and Clear products which I read about here on acne.org. I would apply the SA wash and then the 10% BP wash right after, twice a day. I also apply a moisturizer right after and a moisturizer/sun protector right after in the mornings. Sometimes I would even do a Asprin mask or apply some ice when I got cysts.

I recently heard about some of the adverse effects of BP like creating free radicals and since I have started to use only natural products for my hair and body, decided to go all natural on my face as well. I used to get some moderate acne on my back, and even tried using the SA/BP treatment on my back. It was Dr. Bonner's soap washed once a day in the shower that cleared my bacne.

I tried using Dr. Bonner's soap on my face, but that did not really help me at all and because I stopped using my SA/BP I got some bad acne. I went back to the SA/BP.

About one week ago I switched to some natural products that I read good things about on drugstore.com. Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash is a natural cleanser I am now using. It has tea tree oil in it like the Dr. Bonner's soap I use on my whole body. I follow that with the Alba Sea Kelp Facial Toner and/or an Alba moisturizer I really like.

After the first day, my skin looked so much better. I had some nice color in my skin that the BP was taking away and my whole skin tone was more even. After a few days I started to get some bumps on my chin. I thought this was strange since I was not used to getting this much acne. Then a few more days and I started to get some bumps on my forehead. The bumps are not all that bad and I have not had a real inflamed pimple for this whole week, but I still would prefer to have perfect skin (who wouldn't?). [Note: I had not shaved my face nor had sex/masturbated this whole week to minimize any other effects for my experiment.]

I do not know much about skin care besides what I have read on the Internet, but I like the cleanser I am using and do not want to go back to the BP. Should I just wait it out and hope it all gets cleared up? (I gave in and used a little of the BP wash today, but think that just made it worst.) Should I use different products? Have you guys heard of any better products out there? Should I use additional products (e.g., jojoba oil and/or tea tree oil)? I have heard of a good Alba scrub that may help exfoliate. Maybe I should stop using the toner to see if that is it...

What do you think? Thanks.

I would suggest using apple cider vinegar as a toner. You mix it 50 50 with water and apply it with a cotton ball after you wash your face. I would only use it at night due to the smell, but I think it helps. I hope your skin stays clear and good luck with the natural products.

If you're not going to use anythign o nyour face but a cleanser, your face generally takes about 8 or so months to actually be "normal" again. I'm on my 4th month and my skin looks much more....normal than it used to, it doesn't dry up, and it has a smooth tone to it overall. I still get pimples though, but spotting with tree tea oil can solve that problem.

Hey all,

I also use the same cleanser as you, 1awesome, from Dessert Essence (it was recommended to me at health food store), and a toner that contains sea kelp. The cleanser is awesome, and so is this facial moisturizer I bought from DermaE (not the most pleasant of scents, but if it works, who cares?!) that contains C-Ester, Alpha Liopic, etc. This combination of products has been working nicely, except I too have been getting little bumps on my temples (where I never break out) and on my forehead. I don't know much at all about sea kelp, but I think I will also try to skip the toner/buy a different one...the one I have is by Earth Science, called Clarifying facial astringent.

Will post back with results!

I would suggest using apple cider vinegar as a toner. You mix it 50 50 with water and apply it with a cotton ball after you wash your face. I would only use it at night due to the smell, but I think it helps. I hope your skin stays clear and good luck with the natural products.

8 months are too much, i heard that the skin heals in 2 weeks or something like that...